Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 01:39:32 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A thank you and hello  (Read 8983 times)

Offline hyperknees91

Re: A thank you and hello
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Some music directors say that BGM should be as subtle as possible so that it blends in with the show and you hardly even notice it. But yeah its mainly suppose to add rather than be the focus. It would be a shame if you did a great scene but all people paid attention to was the awesome music that surrounded it (though props to the music composer if that happens).

Though I do agree that people ignore it too much unless its completely over the top music thats obvious (hence how yuki kajiura got so popular with people). I'm a big fan of anime bgm myself though. Heck one of my favorite soundtracks is probably the most subtle one in anime (mushishi).

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 02:15:38 AM »
Above all, I believe that BGM should not take away anything from an anime's story. It is supposed to be complementary, and not one that overwhelms the show. Even if a BGM is good, if overused the effect can backfire and destroys the mood as a result.

But of course, as mentioned, BGM generally doesn't get as much attention as the OP or ED. Why? Possibly because of first impression (to an anime) for the OP, and the lasting impression for the ED: those moments are what people mostly remember for, anyway.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »
Now, if FMA never happened and only Brotherhood was the only adaptation of the franchise, would FMAB have really deserved a 5? It seems to me that many judge it almost solely through comparison to the anime-original and though I certainly understand their praises and comparisons, it seems a little, idk, one-sided? Definitely can't deny that for me, fmab was an extremely enjoyable watch though.

I think that's what I'm getting at here, the 5 is coming from a comparison to the first and not so much to all the other anime.

When we talk about the shared episodes, it is very obvious the first anime was better and isn't that also why they rushed it in Brotherhood in the first 15 episodes? If it's already been done, and done so well why would they do it again? But then they can't exactly skip it either because it's part of the storyline. I've always thought that was the intention of Brotherhood, to fast forward everything in the first 15 or 20 episodes until new material came along.
If Brotherhood deserved a low score because of that, then I would suggest giving the original the same because the second half of the anime certainly does not match that of Brotherhood. If that makes any sense.

For anyone who hasn't seen FMA, I would still recommend they go see Brotherhood instead - as a whole, I still think it's better.

FMAB should've done what the HxH remake did,  skip the filler, that's it. The original FMA had quite a bit of fluff in the beginning I would have had no problem seeing get cut. Problem here is that it didn't just stop at cutting filler, cutting canon material also happened. I wouldn't have minded sitting through more episodes of repeated stuff if it wasn't executed half-assedly.

Also, why skip the original? Overall there completely different shows. Who knows? Maybe folks would like the original. Watching it after the remake is a bad idea too.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »
Actually the HxH remake pretty much shares the same problems as brotherhood, just to a lesser extent. I mean they very much rushed through the first half of that show, and now they have slowed the pacing down considerably because it's unexplored material. The characters and their relationships are much better fleshed out in the original as a consequence. And I know we've talked about BGM here, but it's really odd to see Madhouse deliver such poor music direction with remake (they are usually the best studio at this from my experience). The original might not have had the most memorable soundtrack in the world (though a few songs were cool), it at least felt very well used and generally helped add to scenes.

Hanzo vs Gon for example. Nowhere near as well directed as it was in the original because of blatant censoring and a less mature approach.

The biggest and most famous example is the Kurapika vs Uvogin fight. While the actual animation and "fight" part might be superior in the remake. The directing, tone, and pace is much much better done in the original. (Engaging inner nerd here fair warning). For example take the flashback to his master in the fight. In the original it adds more tension and shows how Kurapika began to fall during his training, and it blends effortlessly into the scene at hand. In the remake it blatantly interrupts the fight and acts as an info dump and nothing else. It tries to make it "cool" as well with music that doesn't even fit the scene at all. Then of course, the pounding on Uvogin. For some reason they tried to make it as big and epic as possible, with completely overdramatic music. They completely missed the point of this scene by doing this. It's not suppose to be "epic", this is suppose to be as much torture for Kurapika as the punishment he's giving him. You're not suppose to feel "Oooh Kurapika's a badass", your suppose to feel his torment. It's funny because they spent an entire episode on this fight rather than the 15 minutes in the original, and I feel like they lost most of the meaning and it just became "another cool shounen fight"

Thankfully they have slowed down with the current episodes and are giving HxH the proper treatment it deserves. Granted I realize some people prefer faster pacing in shounen shows, so it might just be my preference to focus on characters more. And yes I realize I am incredibly biased because I watched the original when it first came out repeatedly. It is nice that at least 2011 is a better adaption than pretty much any shounen adaption regardless of what I said and a few hiccups here and there.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:00:25 PM by hyperknees91 »

Offline Muds

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
Ohhh I dunno about being ignored, most great anime have very memorable BGM which complement each other very well and something I would listen to on its own. FMAB was one of those that didn't quite get me there, whereas FMA did.
The only anime that I didn't like but had great BGM was Tsubasa Chronicles. I thought it was mega boring but the music, the music! Made it seem all the better for some scenes. What a waste!

Besides Joe Hisaishi for movies, there's also Tenmon :) Very different style but so gooooood.

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • Desdemondia's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Desdemondia
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »
Ultimately, not that I have revelated any points thus far, OST's are very much important. Since the earlier analogy has failed, MUSIC FTW. BLAH various cognitive experiments, music transcends neuro-chemical reasoning and is pretty awesome. Music is just swell.
IDKWTF I just said. Disregard this entire post.
Now that you have said that, I MUST regard it. While I understand that BGM are just that; background music, OST's have to find the subtle balance between not intruding on what's going on the screen, as well as going along with it, like accompanying and also being composed well enough to be memorable/notable, which is pretty important to me. Without becoming invasive of course. Yep. Music ftw seconded.

Takanshi also composed the Celtic awesomeness of Fairy Tail. His score single-handedly made that show watchable for me.
Fairy Tail? And awesome in the same sentence? Really, in my opinion the Celtic style just sounded kind of.. lame. It wasn't like it was a bad soundtrack but it just struck me as lame. Though that may possibly have to do with the show itself just exuding lame tropes as well. Still. The thing that made it watchable was Rachmaninov's second piano concerto in the background of Erza vs. Jellal and THAT JUST BLEW MY MIND I LOVE THAT CONCERTO TO DEATH AND I PLAYED IT so out of that respect, I put myself through watching Fairy Tail. It's just an amazing amazing piece and so goddamned beautiful, the depth.. everything. Rachmaninov honest to god genius. Even if Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto still beats Rach 2nd. I'm done yes, anyway.. disregard that. All that gushing. 

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
With all my talk about music in this thread I must confess...I seldom watch/listen to OPs/EDs. In my earlier years of anime viewing I would anxiously watch both but somewhere along the way I lost that innocence. I can only think of a few off-handedly. The first 2 OPs from the original HxH, "Ohayou" and  "Taiyou Wa Yoru Mo Kagayaku" respectively, are vividly burned into my brain. "My Soul, you Beats!" from Angel Beats I adore. And lastly, the first ending of Monster "For the love of life", that would always creep the hell outta me when I watched that way back when at like 3am and in total darkness.

As for the whole Fairy Tail thing...Yea the show is quite the chore to sit through. One dimensional characters dragging their single gag from scene to scene it definitely grating. But, I enjoy the OST as a stand alone entity, as counter-intuitive as that may be. I honestly don't really remember how well the music actually synced with each scene.

Also I effing love Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto.   

Offline Muds

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
Also I effing love Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto.

Me 3 ;_; And I found this from Nodame Cantabille lol but fell in loveeeeee with it and Rachmaninoff's own version is onmonomnomnomonom.

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 12:12:26 AM »
It's a damn beautiful thing to see anime getting classical out to audiences like this in masterpieces like Nodame Cantabile.

But pls. Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 is still the greatest of all time even over Rach 2nd. Competed last weekend with it and won over someone else playing Rach 2nd and I can't recommend listening to this piece more. This piece is virtually what makes up the reputation of the famous International Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow. A shame they didn't use it in the anime series though I heard it might be in the live action series.

yeah.

As most people do, OP/EDs are usually watched on the first episode and at least on the last for me personally. Unless of course it has enough charm to stop me from fast-forwarding. But if you mean you go through a series without listening to either at all throughout the show, that's kinda surprising. As for FT, it's just so dumb and repetitive even in comparison with the other bloated series.

Offline Muds

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »
I'll go and listen to Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 :)

I started with Michiko to Hatchin... I think I went from episode 1 to about 14 in no time. It reminds me of Black Lagoon, probably because of the setting but I gotta say, whilst I was interested and liked it at first, I got completely bored by ep 14. I'm not very good with series with single story episodes that don't really advance the story or characters much and that's what I'm seeing so far.

And another - because of Akage no Anne, I went ahead and read the book first. Anne of Green Gables has got to be the happiest, sweetest book I have ever read. My god.

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 09:53:40 PM »
And another - because of Akage no Anne, I went ahead and read the book first. Anne of Green Gables has got to be the happiest, sweetest book I have ever read. My god.
This makes me very happy :D

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:31 PM »
But pls. Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 is still the greatest of all time even over Rach 2nd.
You fiend.

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2014, 02:33:37 AM »
You fiend.
It takes one to know one ;D

I'll go and listen to Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 :)
This makes me very happy tooo

I started with Michiko to Hatchin... I think I went from episode 1 to about 14 in no time.
but I gotta say, whilst I was interested and liked it at first, I got completely bored by ep 14.
Yeah, I think it looked more interesting than it turned out in the end and while I had considered suggesting it, overall it just didn't seem to quite make the cut. Overall, I liked it but my impression from the show after completion is both lack of tension and resolution or really going somewhere with the plot/story, (I mean come on, nothing reminiscent of sailing off steep cliffs in a motorcycle together off into the sunset?) though yes, the character relationships were well-done and development too which I guess was the story's aim, etc. I'd say you have quite a few more-exciting and solid titles to cover that are on your list though

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
Well, in the interest of not being too flippant, my favorite piano concertos, in order:
1. Rachmaninov 2
2. Beethoven 5
3. Tchaikovsky 1
4. Rachmaninov 3 (that should sign off my Rachmaninov fanboy credentials)
5. Grieg 1(?)

More honorable mentions that are too many to list.

Offline Muds

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
I'd say you have quite a few more-exciting and solid titles to cover that are on your list though

Good to know!! I skipped and watched the last ep of Michiko and hatchin... Yeah..... I guess I'm glad I didn't bother going through the whole lot.

Well, in the interest of not being too flippant, my favorite piano concertos, in order:
1. Rachmaninov 2
2. Beethoven 5
3. Tchaikovsky 1
4. Rachmaninov 3 (that should sign off my Rachmaninov fanboy credentials)
5. Grieg 1(?)

:'( I listened to Tchaikovsky and then Beethoven (well I'm still in the middle of listening to Beethoven) and :O :O :O :O :O .... I think my list will be a bit more like yours.
*shivers*

I assume you have all seen Piano no Mori then :)

... just realised they played beethoven 5 in nodame too :P
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:03:17 PM by Muds »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up