Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 01:02:40 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A thank you and hello  (Read 8968 times)

Offline Muds

A thank you and hello
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:54 PM »
Hi there, first post, new user and all!

I don't know if this is the right forum to post to but seems to be the most relevant one.

I'm a pretty super big anime fan, or at least I was up until things became incredibly crappy in the anime world in the last couple of years.

The last great anime that I watched was FMA Brotherhood and the very last anime I watched was Aoi no Exorcist. I didn't stop because I couldn't be assed, I just stopped because I couldn't find anything I liked. It's been a while and trust me, I've been upset that I've had to continuously rewatch stuff rather than new material - made me sad.  :'(

BUT THEN I came across this website yesterday (don't remember how), but the list of reviews and ratings caught my eye. The ratings of the reviewers aligned to my tastes, not everything, but a lot. I started going through (and I haven't finished) the top 10s and 9s and found I had missed a shitload of things to see (say whaaat), like Akage no Anne, Shiki and the lot. Never heard of them. Let's just say, I was pretty amazed and holy crap, am I going to start going through this list like mad.

So I thought I'd say thanks to the reviewers for igniting this uh, passion again! Just cannot believe it.

I might as well put it down, feel free to recommend me anime!

My faves TV series are:
Rurouni Kenshin (everything except for the 3rd shitty anime arc, but the manga was great)
FMA: Brotherhood (I can't believe one of the reviewers gave it a shit rating, but thank the other reviewer for giving it a 9 lol)
Monster (Surprised this wasn't a 10 -> masterpiece)
Gundam SeeD (okay, this was my very first Gundam series, so I might be biased but I thought it pretty cool)
Honey & Clover I&II
Nodame Cantabille
Host Club
Rose of Versailles (I couldn't believe someone actually reviewed this and gave it a 10, wow. Probably one of the saddest animes of all time)

Okay, having trouble remembering but these were good too from the top of my head
12 Kingdoms (Sad that they never completed it)
Code Geass
Death Note (1st half only, second half was bs)
Karekane (Went all evangelion near the end....)

----
I went through some of the list yesterday and this is what I have so far. Feel free to let me know if I've chosen correctly!
Wolf Children (movie)
Michiko to Hatchin (TV)
Sword of the Stranger (movie.. meant to be gory? I hate gore but.... )
Now and then, here and there
kino's journey
Shiki
Planetes
Le Portrait de peteit
Akage no Anne
Giant Robo
Shin Sekai Yori
Tetsujin 28
Tentai Senshi Sunred

thanks guys!!!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: A thank you and hello
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:02:06 PM »
So I thought I'd say thanks to the reviewers for igniting this uh, passion again! Just cannot believe it.

You're welcome.  For a long time I was running around with a trademark "I watch crap so you don't have to", but I took it off because that wasn't my own duty, but everyone's.  Friends don't let friends watch shit.

As for your list

Wolf Children (movie)
Michiko to Hatchin (TV)
Now and then, here and there
kino's journey
Shiki
Planetes
Le Portrait de peteit
Akage no Anne
Giant Robo
Shin Sekai Yori
Tetsujin 28
Tentai Senshi Sunred

Remember, a lot of these reviews come from reviewers with different tastes and backgrounds.  You may or may not agree with them as recommendations, but that's why we watch them.  Even a 10 to one person is only a 6 to another.  It happens.

Which brings me to a question:  you said you don't like gore, which makes me wonder what other things you don't like.  Some of those on that list have some questionable content for those not into some more severe themes.  Shin Sekai Yori, for example, has depictions of causal hetero and homo sexual activity, though it isn't for fanservice like it would be in other shows, but is a major plot point to the world setting.  Shiki has some rather macabre depictions of violence, and gets downright brutal later.  Now & Then, Here & There features a horrible world where the absolute worst can happen at any given time (you have been warned).  You already mentioned Sword of the Stranger.

The rest I either haven't seen or should be relatively fine for most viewers.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:07 PM »
I'd recommend not just stopping with the tens and nines, but going as far down as seven. Hell, try out some sixes, too. If something catches your fancy, check it out. Don't let someone else's rating keep you from trying something. Not that I'm implying it is, with you, but there are so many good shows out there that you can justify checking out anything.

I am always, always willing to give recommendations and take recommendations from an interested anime fan, but there will always be some things I disagree with.

1. Anime really hasn't gotten that bad in the last few years. You may have different sorts of tropes that infest the medium now, but it's not like it's any worse or better than it was before. When I think of the nineties, the only three titles that instantly come to mind are Lain, Escaflowne, and Evangelion. When I think of 2007 and 2006, tons of titles come to mind. The years 2011, 2012, and 2013 all have titles that I will instantly name by their mentioning. Maybe you just haven't been interested enough to look into these years, which is fine, but I would go much deeper into an argument than that against any claim that anime has weakened recently.

2. These guys rate in their own way. I can tell you that 6 certainly isn't a bad rating. 5 isn't even a bad rating. So, certainly expand your interests past just the shows that were given 9 and 10.

And that's about it for my little... aside... whatever thing.

Nice to meet you.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • Desdemondia's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Desdemondia
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
Hey, welcome! ;D

For your list, I have a few tentative standard suggestions to make based loosely from your criteria of not being too much of a fan for gore..  But I mean, can't go wrong with these if you haven't seen them yet:
-Stein's gate
-the immortal duo, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo
-Mushishi
-I'd highly highly recommend watching Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Tsuiokuhen; that is if you aren't hung up solely on the lighthearted parts of RK.
-Toki wo kakeru shoujo (movie)
-Chihayafuru
-Haibane Renmei
Pretty much gore-free I guess. Though, my question with your list is also how you have Shiki down in all its bloody violent glory, and you still say you hate gore; I guess you mean you're fine with blood but not the slicing-off-limbs type of gore?
Well now, here's a different solution for the anime burnout thread ::)

FMA: Brotherhood (I can't believe one of the reviewers gave it a shit rating, but thank the other reviewer for giving it a 9 lol)
That shit rating is one of the few that I can't believe either and my kudos to MK as he wrote the exact words that I had thought all along about the series: I enjoyed every single one of the openings and endings with the exception of one (Tsunaida Te) though even that only one still held a nice charm to it with the opening guitar strums. You wouldn't believe how excited I was to see a NHRV reviewer putting those strong thoughts down onto paper in a review. I'd have to concede that I may be a bit biased when it comes to fmab though.

I went through some of the list yesterday and this is what I have so far. Feel free to let me know if I've chosen correctly!
Some rather worn-out words about how there aren't correct or wrong choices as everyone's entitled to their own opinion etc. .. except.. where is Mononoke Hime.. WRONG. YOU'VE CHOSEN WRONG.

Just a comment I have, makes me curious how everyone mentions gory in the same sentence as StoS whereas I sure see where it's coming from, and yet I remember it almost purely for it's soundtrack and it's straightforward but exceptionally heart warming story. I don't even think about the gore part.

Some advice: bewaare of the one who posted above first ;) he's scary.

Offline Muds

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:52:10 AM »
Remember, a lot of these reviews come from reviewers with different tastes and backgrounds.  You may or may not agree with them as recommendations, but that's why we watch them.  Even a 10 to one person is only a 6 to another.  It happens.

Which brings me to a question:  you said you don't like gore, which makes me wonder what other things you don't like.  Some of those on that list have some questionable content for those not into some more severe themes.  Shin Sekai Yori, for example, has depictions of causal hetero and homo sexual activity, though it isn't for fanservice like it would be in other shows, but is a major plot point to the world setting.  Shiki has some rather macabre depictions of violence, and gets downright brutal later.  Now & Then, Here & There features a horrible world where the absolute worst can happen at any given time (you have been warned).  You already mentioned Sword of the Stranger.

The rest I either haven't seen or should be relatively fine for most viewers.

Hey, yeah so with the gore thing, which you guys have picked up - yep, I totally don't like the limbs coming off bit but I guess I am willing to cringe through it if the anime is great. For eg) Kenshin OVA was pretty bad for me but relative to how bloody awesome it is, I'm totally okay with it. Then again, it probably wasn't that bad. I remember seeing a scene from ... I think Ninja Scroll (?), some dude rips/pulls off some other dude's arms and actually drinks the blood from the dripping stump. See, that..., that was disturbing to me. That was so incredibly gross that I stopped immediately. It's hard to say, I'd prefer not missing out but... it also depends @_@ Side note: I haven't watched Game of Thrones for this reason so but I have read it :P
As for what else I don't like.... I can't think of anything else specifically.

Hey, welcome! ;D

For your list, I have a few tentative standard suggestions to make based loosely from your criteria of not being too much of a fan for gore..  But I mean, can't go wrong with these if you haven't seen them yet:
-Stein's gate
-the immortal duo, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo
-Mushishi
-I'd highly highly recommend watching Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Tsuiokuhen; that is if you aren't hung up solely on the lighthearted parts of RK.
-Toki wo kakeru shoujo (movie)
-Chihayafuru
-Haibane Renmei
Pretty much gore-free I guess. Though, my question with your list is also how you have Shiki down in all its bloody violent glory, and you still say you hate gore; I guess you mean you're fine with blood but not the slicing-off-limbs type of gore?

Don't kill me, but I didn't like bebop nor champloo lol I tried!
From this list, I basically haven't seen Stein's gate and chihayafuru so will check them out!!
I loved toki wo katkeru shoujo and being the biggest kenshin fan... don't you worry, I've seen all kenshin :D
I haven't seen Shiki and didn't realise that it's violent and bloody - but again, I don't mind the blood and splatter as long as it's not disturbingly gory-gross. So I'll be careful with this one too? Unless it's just blood and stuff?

Some rather worn-out words about how there aren't correct or wrong choices as everyone's entitled to their own opinion etc. .. except.. where is Mononoke Hime.. WRONG. YOU'VE CHOSEN WRONG.
haha I HAVE SEEN IT, MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS I HAVE ONLY SEEN IT ONCE. Big Ghibli fan here. I haven't mentioned any movies because.... man, the list goes on... too much! i'll move onto that next. I've pretty much seen most ghibli films at least twice and in some cases (totoro, laputa, nausicaa) over 20 times. Started when I was 4 yo!

I'd recommend not just stopping with the tens and nines, but going as far down as seven. Hell, try out some sixes, too. If something catches your fancy, check it out. Don't let someone else's rating keep you from trying something. Not that I'm implying it is, with you, but there are so many good shows out there that you can justify checking out anything.

Yep, I agree. I'm just starting with 10s and 9s for now and even then I'm only slightly into the 9s, there's just no way I can possibly read 100 reviews!

As for each reviewer having different tastes, I also agree. So what I've been doing is sorting them and somewhat painfully seeing what each reviewer has in common with me to see if they align, and that's pretty much how I came up with the list above. Whoever gave FMA: Brotherhood 5... I have stayed away from, or welllll at least I don't trust him/her as much! no offense.

Oh man, this quoting business is hard!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:28:49 AM »
Hey, yeah so with the gore thing, which you guys have picked up - yep, I totally don't like the limbs coming off bit but I guess I am willing to cringe through it if the anime is great. For eg) Kenshin OVA was pretty bad for me but relative to how bloody awesome it is, I'm totally okay with it. Then again, it probably wasn't that bad. I remember seeing a scene from ... I think Ninja Scroll (?), some dude rips/pulls off some other dude's arms and actually drinks the blood from the dripping stump. See, that..., that was disturbing to me. That was so incredibly gross that I stopped immediately. It's hard to say, I'd prefer not missing out but... it also depends @_@ Side note: I haven't watched Game of Thrones for this reason so but I have read it :P
As for what else I don't like.... I can't think of anything else specifically.

If the Kenshin OAVs are a bit much for you, you're going to have a problem with a lot of the more violent anime.  Seems you had no problem with Mononoke Hime, tho, which had decapitations and some pretty brutal moments, so maybe we can find a happy medium somewhere.  Just ask if a title is heavy gore and we'll let you know (if we've seen it).

As for the FMA: Brotherhood rating of a 5, that was done by Shadowmage.  He's one of our longer running reviewers and one of the smartest guys around.  He's seen a lot of anime, and if he thought something was mediocre, he probably had a very good reason for it.  Doesn't mean he's right, nor does it mean you're going to agree with him, but don't shy away from his other recommendations because of it.  He has said many a thing I agree with more than disagree with.

That being said, as it was pointed out above, sometimes reviewers don't like something and give it a low grade.  There have been a number of reviews I've disagreed with over the years, sometimes even my own.  Don't let a low rating scare you; this is why you read the review, for context.  Sometimes a rating of 3 is legitimate, sometimes it is just for personal prejudices vs. a certain genre or type of anime.  The review itself is there to let you know WHY someone gave a rating they did.  Doesn't mean you wont like it, but then again, maybe you wont.

Explore at your leisure.  That's what makes this media fun.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »
Welcome aboard, Muds!

Funny how you said Monster deserves a 10, because I'd give that grade if I had written a review for NHRV. Same goes for Rurouni Kenshin OVA 1. I also share the same sentiments as Shadowmade for FMA: Brotherhood: I couldn't really see what's really about the anime because it tries too hard with the drama, and the only thing I could take away from the series is the action sequences.

As the one who wrote for Michiko to Hatchin, Sword of the Stranger and Wolf Children, I guess I'll sum them up quickly:

Sword of the Stranger is violent. I won't say gory; although they can mean the same, to me the violence is more stylised. It isn't the type that makes you cringe like Shiki (the type of violence in Shiki is quite ****ed up). Michiko to Hatchin is your answer to Thelma and Louise, a story about sisterhood and a bond between two female individuals. Wolf Children is amazing for me because of the poignant motif of family.

I actually want to recommend you REDLINE, but seeing as how you didn't like Cowboy Bebop, perhaps I won't. Both are pretty much of the same mold.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
Funny how many people didn't like the second half of Death Note. I thought it was central to Lights development and the conclusion. But yeah different people with different tastes so yeah. I've only given 4 shows a 10 myself.

That's the main thing. Read their reviews as their well written and brief. If the complaints don't typically bother you in shows then pay no mind, and if the positives they point out are things you look for then give it a whirl.

Offline Muds

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »
Hmmmm, maybe I'll try explain a bit better about the whole gory violent thing.

I'm okay with violence, in particular I don't mind 'implied violence' but without showing it. It's when the heads and limbs start falling off and being sliced up that I think it unnecessary. I've unintentionally seen some pretty gross stuff, like in Kenshin OVA, but even then, the most powerful cringeworthy scene I can think of is Monster's nail cutting scene. Didn't show it but *shiver*, that was done so, so well. Far out. Why can't people learn to do it this way instead, then I can watch more shows :P
And when you're talking about disturbing fked up, then there better be a good reason for it and not because the show is psychotic and fked up itself. That isn't Shiki right? ...

And yes, I actually have been reading the reviews and not just the number! lol but admittedly skimmed through a lot, and also - the images. Kinda like judging a book by its cover, can't help it. If it's in a drawing style that I like or am familiar with, I will probably skim through a review and find important points. And for a drawing style that I'm not accustomed to or don't like, I'll probably read more carefully.
This is probably also one of the reasons why I don't like recent shows - the anime style - those stupid big eyed highschool girls.

I personally thought Death Note should have ended half way through. The second half was just a rinse and repeat of the first half to me, which I thought was a shame since it started off so well. Same with Naruto, loved the first arc/series/whatever before fillers and now I'm hoping they all just die a horrible death. -_-;

Offline Aelms

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
I'd like to put a bit of challenge to you saying that anime of the recent has gone downhill by pointing you to Chihayafuru, which Desdemondia already mentioned. I believe it to be universally enjoyable to any audience.

No matter what the mainstream series are, there will always be those few hidden gems spread throughout each year proving that high quality anime still exists. NHRV had also helped me keep my sense of enjoyment throughout the years and I hope you will feel the same too.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
I'd like to put a bit of challenge to you saying that anime of the recent has gone downhill by pointing you to Chihayafuru, which Desdemondia already mentioned. I believe it to be universally enjoyable to any audience.

No matter what the mainstream series are, there will always be those few hidden gems spread throughout each year proving that high quality anime still exists. NHRV had also helped me keep my sense of enjoyment throughout the years and I hope you will feel the same too.

Absolutely. During 2013, I was able to really get into around 20 of the shows that aired over the course of the year, and each and every one of those shows were completely worth my attention.

If you have the time, you should try following the seasons as they air, you might find some things you like, I found some of my favorite shows by doing that. I find that it's significantly more exciting to discover really great shows as they air, rather than go back and watch what other people have called great. But it can be a bit time consuming.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »
I'm okay with violence, in particular I don't mind 'implied violence' but without showing it. It's when the heads and limbs start falling off and being sliced up that I think it unnecessary. I've unintentionally seen some pretty gross stuff, like in Kenshin OVA, but even then, the most powerful cringeworthy scene I can think of is Monster's nail cutting scene. Didn't show it but *shiver*, that was done so, so well. Far out. Why can't people learn to do it this way instead, then I can watch more shows :P
And when you're talking about disturbing fked up, then there better be a good reason for it and not because the show is psychotic and fked up itself. That isn't Shiki right? ...

Ah, then I think it's not violence that rubs you the wrong way; it's about being graphic. And yes, Sword of the Stranger is graphic with the bloodshed. And if you think Monster's nail cutting scene is very cringeworthy, then you should try watching Dr. Ozaki's recorded experiment in episode 14. I'd say it's even more cringeworthy.

And yes, I think the second half of Death Note isn't as good as the first half even though the climax is amazing. It's a mistake to have L being killed prematurely.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »
Idk, having L be killed kinda let Light get cocky and full of hiimself. Which ultimately lead to many mistakes and his downfall. Plus its only 11 episodes without him (as the episode after is a recap) so it's barely even a third of the show without him. I kinda like how L had to lose as well as he let his own stubborness be his downfall (and it played into the ending).

I suppose the live action movies are more to your preference in how the story was handled though.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »
Yo, I'm the guy who gave FMA: Brotherhood a 5.

The reason why I was so cold to the show was because it was a rather poor adaptation of one of the greatest manga I have ever read. The ideas, characters and world of FMA hit me hard in both the anime original and manga, but I felt close to nothing while watching Brotherhood. It's almost insulting how that they managed to botch something that should have been a slam dunk.

PS: Game of Thrones doesn't have that much gore, but they have no reverence for corpses (heads on spikes, ritualistic chopped up bodies). Some of the fight scenes and executions are brutal, but there is nothing overly sadistic about it.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »
Yo, I'm the guy who gave FMA: Brotherhood a 5.

The reason why I was so cold to the show was because it was a rather poor adaptation of one of the greatest manga I have ever read. The ideas, characters and world of FMA hit me hard in both the anime original and manga, but I felt close to nothing while watching Brotherhood. It's almost insulting how that they managed to botch something that should have been a slam dunk.

PS: Game of Thrones doesn't have that much gore, but they have no reverence for corpses (heads on spikes, ritualistic chopped up bodies). Some of the fight scenes and executions are brutal, but there is nothing overly sadistic about it.

I got most of your complaints with the series to be honest, but I can't help but feel you've made canyons out of cracks in the grand scheme of things. I just felt that the material itself was so strong that it ultimately shines through the directors misguided decisions. The show was carried into the higher echelons of anime for me simply because of how Arakawa's engaging writing/world-buliding, along with the excellent production values, kept me from noticing the flaws until after the fact. My problem with your review is that it's really too focused on the details of the show's presentation (which I get is important) rather then strength of the content.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up