Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 12:22:18 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Burnout (Symptoms and Solutions)  (Read 6149 times)

Offline KS

Re: Anime Burnout (Symptoms and Solutions)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »
Personally, I don't force myself to watch anime. I see anime kind of like I see television in general. I watch my guilty pleasures and the cherries at the top and basically nothing else. Now, I do have a tradition with anime that I don't with any other medium: I watch the first episode of most new shows. However, if something really doesn't suit my tastes, I'm very quick to stop watching it.

Well that had been my method for a while but it kind of backfired on me this season when I just sort of ended up having a gag reflex activate around this time last week.

Watching Redline and a few favorite classic anime movies was actually one thing I had considered, but I think the better option for now might be the one that most people suggested for now which is to just take the cold turkey breather for a few months instead of trying to force it and making things worse since I definitely do feel it's a mental thing as much as any reason.  After a while I think I'll take the classic anime film approach and then ease back into whatever is airing in the season if it looks good. 

Actually, it's not about watching classic anime movies. It's about giving anime a chance after having a breather: I stumbled upon REDLINE, and significantly, the movie reminded me that anime is not all about moe, cheap fanservice, tropes and clichés. In a swarm of all that, there's always that one outlier anime that breaks away from the norm or tries to be different. That unintended moment is what can spark your love for anime once more; the important thing is to give benefit of doubt.

Well the one release that just happened this month that I've been anticipating for a while is Short Peace but I have a feeling subs on that are going to be a while.  My hope is that it'll be one of those things that's ready by Spring.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
Good ole burnout. It comes with the territory. Burnout and an overwhelming sense of depression (at least in me) when a great anime concludes. I've been running on fumes for the past year or two. I abruptly dropped Psycho Pass and Zetsuen at the mid way mark when they were airing and still haven't gotten around to finishing them. The last time I was burnt I think '09ish Eden of the East revitalized me.

Contrary to everyone else, I think the easiest solution, maybe not the best, is to just force yourself to watch an anime. Just pick one that is established as good that is inline with your tastes and just start it. As an inherently apathetic individual myself, I find the initial motivation the biggest hurdle. But once I've started the show I generally find myself immersed...unless I'm being a contrarian dbag and just finding faults in a renowned show. Sadly, this method doesn't really address my main grievance.

I hate the vast majority of shows that air. This mentality isn't a result of burnout or apathy, it is just a simple fact. I've been actively seeking out and watching anime in Japanese since '04. As such, my tolerance/patience for mediocrity/shit has plummeted. This inevitably leads to a cynical perception of anime as a whole which intern saps my desire to pursue older gems which intern causes burnout.

In the end, I find myself in the same shoes. I often wonder if my interest in anime is waning. I also sort of fear the possibility that one day I could lose all interest completely. But that is dumb. I'm not losing interest in anime. I dont hate anime. I hate bad anime. It is no different from anything else. I don;t books. I just hate shit books. But with books I don't drudge through title after title of generic overly moe, overly sexual, and overly shit shit.

Regardless of everything, at least we have Hunter x Hunter...for now.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:41:42 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »
I think I went through this and never really "recovered."  The problem for me is that the subject matter of anime never really matures.  While of course there are many exceptions I think it's still pretty much true that most anime feature characters who are high schoolers or younger.  Occasionally you have something great which depicts young people in a way that older people can appreciate, but most of the time the standard fare is just not interesting to a certain demographic.  I just couldn't get into Flower of Evil because I wasn't at all interested in their presentation of high school problems.  But my favorite thing about Evangelion is how well it depicts adults and children alike.

I still keep an eye out for things I might be interested in.  I also have directors I like who I keep tabs on, Masaaki Yuasa being a notable one.  But otherwise, I mean, maybe you like anime because you like "art," and in that case there's a lot more out there in general film and animation and television, and then you can go into books or visual things or anything else.  If you like Japanese things, there are Japanese directors doing interesting things, like Hirokazu Kore'eda.  I dunno man, there's a whole world out there for your exploration, why limit yourself?

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts
    • Funky_Dealer's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »
I think everyone's summed up most of what I could say on the matter, though I think one personal thing for me that's helped maintain my interest in anime is just taking it slow. Maybe it's bad that I've made an impressively large backlog of stuff that I'm always having trouble getting through, but it's always something to look forward to and has a good chance of having something you really like hidden amongst the rest. It's kinda like video games for me in that regard, where you're always anticipating old and new releases.

Here's something I'd suggest: write. Fanfiction, or original fiction is, for me, an effective way to get back into consuming fiction, because it opens up new ways of enjoying it. I didn't like Yuushibu, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy watching it, because I was mostly busy thinking up a personal fanfic of all the places the show could have gone. That's also the way I'm enjoying Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta this season.

This also gets you to appreciate how hard it is to write a good piece of fiction, but that's a different story altogether.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Well, I don't actually write anything since I'd likely be lousy at it, but I have shows that are otherwise mediocre or ho-hum that I enjoy merely for speculation's sake. It's a bit of imagining things differently and thinking about interesting what-ifs that make me appreciate things more, especially when the end product is disappointing.

Offline P_Spiegel

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »

For the record if it wasn't already obvious by my posting habits I'm mainly into mecha, sci-fi/fantasy, military, psychological, spiritual , space opera and character drama type shows and while that's definitely lacking in a big way in this rom-com and moe driven winter season it still doesn't explain my lack of drive to get into even older and currently running examples of those types of shows.  I really don't think I'm THAT picky a viewer either so I just can't explain the level of apathy I'm feeling even in this winter season.  :-\
Have you watched Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ? It's a really well made space opera. Or watch something more accessible and good, like Hunter x Hunter.
Also, this burnout thing is not uncommon and something to worry about. It happens a lot for me actually. You probably will pick up interest in anime again, but in some cases it lasts forever! Like, I haven't touched my PS3 and X360 since 2 years ago. 

Offline RyuKyotei

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
I don't actually know if I've ever suffered from true burnout when it comes to anime as a whole.  I'm inherently a cynical person that enjoys analyzing and understanding the tropes behind the shows.  When I came around to starting to understand anime the same way I understood written fiction and it's tropes, it just fit naturally.  For me, tropes can be good tools for a writer, no matter the medium, or they can be a horribly overused tool that let's the writer just be lazy. 

Nearly every other season or so, I have shows like magi or psycho pass that I enjoy for the understanding I have with tropes and how the show utilizes them in a good way.  I enjoy that show for the characters, the story, and how the manga/anime uses shounen tropes with a darker current underneath it all.  Then, with nearly every season, I have shows that I love just tearing to pieces for how badly written the show is.  Sure, they were trying to write something good, but that effort was misdirected and it just ended up badly.  In that same vein, the shows that are so bad, they're good for how the writer knows how bad it is are amazing fun.  You tear them to pieces, but you enjoy watching it all the same. 

For me, those categories naturally came about and I never suffered horrible burn-out.  I only ever suffer apathy when the season is truly devoid of truly bad or truly good shows.  In the mean time, I tear shows to pieces or I dote upon them like delicious pieces of candy.

My advice? KS, just don't force yourself and learn to accept the natural cynical side or learn to repress it for a simpler view on shows.  In the mean time, watch only what you know you'll like, since you don't seem the type to really get joy out of tearing a show to small pieces. 

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
Like what a lot of others have said, burnouts are something that everyone experiences at some point and not just limited to anime - this is particularly true if you have watched anime over a long period of time, as things that you may have once excited you will eventually feel like nothing more than a tedious chore. Back then when I first saw Bakemonogatari my first impression was, "wow an anime adapted from a LN? That seems pretty interesting". Nowadays my first impression of a LN-based anime would be more on the lines of, "oh boy this is probably yet another shitty anime adapted from a LN". Similar case with noitaminA, what I had originally viewed as a consistent source of quality anime eventually became closer to a pile of meh as crap like Gulity Crown and Black Rock Shooter started filling in. Your expectations based on past experiences are pretty much your poison here.

Personally, I've taken my first major break from anime (among a lot of other things) last year. With the majority of my time being spent at the dental school and having other commitments over the weekend, I slowly found myself falling behind on anime, and soon reached a point where I could no longer keep up with it. Admittedly I had somewhat grown wary of anime for a while at the time, although what had really forced me to stop was simply a matter of priorities. Even then, I don't think I've ever invested myself into anime to the extent where I would experience any major burnouts anytime soon. Generally I limit myself to a couple of new shows per season, usually the most hyped or good ones and a few guilty pleasures based on my initial impressions from anime charts or recommendations from others. I also tend to drop or put on hold to shows very quickly, which also helps me avoid experiencing burnouts.

Now that I'm back after an year of a break with a newfound wealth of free time, I am currently finding myself enjoying anime again, if not more so than before. Recently I've been following a lot more variety of shows this season (not exactly the best timing given the quality of anime atm, but c'est la vie) than before as well as revisiting some of my all-time favourites such as Mushishi and Honey & Clover. A lot of the current shows may vary from mediocre to godawful (*cough* Pupa *cough*), but much like TIF I still find plenty of amusement from simply reading discussions of  the said shows more like when everyone unites together ripping on shit - Infinite Stratos, Amagami SS... those were some good times. Only problem now is that I may have to start taking a hiatus again once uni break is over since my workload is getting more hectic by the year, but that's a completely different matter.

Basically, if you aren't enjoying what you're watching right now, taking a break may just be the best thing to do. Take your mind off anime for a while, and in the meantime search for something else to fill in your time. Eventually (and hopefully), you should be able to find yourself enjoying anime again, whether it be naturally or by finding the certain anime that rekindles your passion. What I personally did to keep myself from completely disconnecting from anime is very similar to DrIdiot's - even though I may end up not watching anything in the season, I still regularly keep track on the anime charts in hopes of finding something that may interest me.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up