Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 15, 2017, 01:22:19 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Umineko no Naku Koro Ni + Chiru  (Read 13439 times)

Offline MCAL

Re: Umineko no Naku Koro Ni + Chiru
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
Well, Umineko is just too complicated and extensive a VN to adapt to anime form. The much better manga adaption which basically adapts the VN word for word (Not completely though) for the first four arcs that the anime covered is twenty monthly volumes (102 chapters). So twenty six episodes is not enough for more than half of that. And even with the manga there are complaints if there is a slightest change or admission from the VN. So you can see, unless the anime got an unlimited number of episodes, it was a lost cause even if it got the best director, writer and studio anime could offer (And the anime did have decent writers).

EDIT: And yes... Despite the above there were problems that Kon could have avoided.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:39:41 PM by MCAL »

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »
Started reading it recently with the ps3 patch. So glad I did as a lot would be missed out without some of the glorious voice acting.

I'm with thanosmat on this one - I prefer Ryukishi07's original art style more than the PS3. The PS3 version is a bit too generic. I know R07's art takes some getting used to, but I feel it's appropriate for the series.

But the voice acting is very good. Sayaka Ohara Beatrice is insane.

This is true. It's quite a big dilemma really. I like the original art but really like the voices. I wish there was a patch for only the voice...then again, if I'm given the choice of playing with original art, or PS3 + Voice, I would actually go for the original art.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
Started reading it recently with the ps3 patch. So glad I did as a lot would be missed out without some of the glorious voice acting.

I'm with thanosmat on this one - I prefer Ryukishi07's original art style more than the PS3. The PS3 version is a bit too generic. I know R07's art takes some getting used to, but I feel it's appropriate for the series.

But the voice acting is very good. Sayaka Ohara Beatrice is insane.

This is true. It's quite a big dilemma really. I like the original art but really like the voices. I wish there was a patch for only the voice...then again, if I'm given the choice of playing with original art, or PS3 + Voice, I would actually go for the original art.

There is a way. Only download the arc file for voices and use the original for backgrounds and sprites.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
I never played the game with the voices but from the stray vids I took a look at, I actually think that the game is simply better without voices. The characters have such colorful and distinct personalities just by the script that I find their lines more powerful when I imagine how they would sound. Not to mention how having to listen to voices is a bit awkward for reading VNs.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »
R07's art

...is ****ing garbage.  He may be able to write and create some interesting worlds and characters, but draw them he cannot.

Having said that, the marriage between his works and DEEN becomes sadly appropriate.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 05:48:35 PM »
R07's art

...is ****ing garbage.  He may be able to write and create some interesting worlds and characters, but draw them he cannot.

Having said that, the marriage between his works and DEEN becomes sadly appropriate.

Pleb who doesnt know how to appreciate the **** faces.  :D ;D

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
There is a way. Only download the arc file for voices and use the original for backgrounds and sprites.

I think that's only doable with EP1-4. With EP5-8 the patch works differently because Lib just had to put in those textboxes. I wish they just did as Levani wanted and kept everything like EP1-4...

I never played the game with the voices but from the stray vids I took a look at, I actually think that the game is simply better without voices. The characters have such colorful and distinct personalities just by the script that I find their lines more powerful when I imagine how they would sound. Not to mention how having to listen to voices is a bit awkward for reading VNs.

The voice acting is as good as it gets in my opinion. However, you are right in that if I were to be oven the choice of playing the PS3 version or the original PC version, I would take the original with no voice acting and no PS3 art.

R07's art

...is ****ing garbage.

R07's art is very appropriate for the series. You need to play the VN to understand.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
R07's art is very appropriate for the series. You need to play the VN to understand.

Yeah, hamhock hands and troll faces are SOOOOO deep.  What other people have done with his character designs are far superior.  Admittedly, he has gotten better over the years, but compared to his peers, he's still subpar.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 10:38:08 AM »
I'm with TIF. The original art is so terrible that it just made higurashi comical to look at when I played a bit of it. Heck I had to stop playing it because how funny they looked. Umineko it would just take away from the atmosphere. It would only work when the characters are trolling, but in every other scene it would just make serious scenes look funny. I'll take generic looking over amatuer art any day. Now I got nothing against quirky art that spices things up (Forest) but it at least needs to be quality quirky art.

I can't imagine many of the scenes without voice acting being nearly as good either. The voice actors are really good at what they do and do some creative stuff that you wouldn't necessarily imagine either. Plus when you blend it with the great music it's seriously a wonderful experience.

Ryukishi really needs to take the money he's earned from both and go to a proper art school if he wants to continue to draw for his visual novels. Though I think he realized how bad he is finally and for his latest visual novel he just hired other artists to do it for him. Smart move ryukishi, smart move. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:46:17 AM by hyperknees91 »

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 10:45:30 AM »
I'm with TIF. The original art is so terrible that it just made higurashi comical to look at when I played a bit of it. Heck I had to stop playing it because how funny they looked. Umineko it would just take away from the atmosphere. It would only work when the characters are trolling, but in every other scene it would just make serious scenes look funny. I'll take generic looking over amatuer art any day.

I can't imagine many of the scenes without voice acting being nearly as good either. The voice actors are really good at what they do and do some creative stuff that you wouldn't necessarily imagine either. Plus when you blend it with the great music it's seriously a wonderful experience.

Ryukishi really needs to take the money he's earned from both and go to a proper art school if he wants to continue to draw for his visual novels. Though I think he realized how bad he is finally and for his latest visual novel he just hired other artists to do it for him. Smart move ryukishi, smart move. 

I read Umineko several times and I disagree. I never felt that the atmosphere was hindered by the art. But thats me.

Rose Gun Days have design from other artists, as well as R07 design.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 10:51:36 AM »
Well I'm not saying everyone will mind the original art as obviously you two didn't. But I can guarantee you the majority wouldn't give it the time of day now that the ps3 patch is out. Heck I wouldn't even play it until it got one, because that's how much it bothered me. I'm not even that picky is the funny thing (Tsukihime doesn't even bother me that much).

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »

If you ask around in the Umineko community about whether the voice acting is fitting, you'll get a 50/50 split. Some people are like Aelms where they think that the voice acting actually doesn't add anything to the game. As he put it, "The characters have such colorful and distinct personalities just by the script that I find their lines more powerful when I imagine how they would sound." This is definitely something I can understand having played the game a number of times now. Quite a few voices weren't exactly fitting for the characters, especially Dlanor who is far too gentle sounding.

Like I said, if I can choose between original or PS3 version with all the updated sprites, backgrounds and voice acting, I would take the original. However I'm also grateful for the existence of the PS3 patch so that people who are picky about the art and the lack of voice acting can pick up the game anyway. 

Heck I wouldn't even play it until it got one, because that's how much it bothered me. I'm not even that picky is the funny thing (Tsukihime doesn't even bother me that much).

I promise you that you are in the minority. I was there for both the launches of the original Witch-Hunt patches and the PS3 patches. The scale of the launches were not comparable.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »
Well I can assume most of that was because people just really wanted to read it when it first came out (higurashi hype after all). It's such a long game so I doubt many would want to re-read it either.

Though it's possible like you said that perhaps the majority just prefer the older graphics. Idk how but I guess I'll just have to see it as a differing opinion.

Voice acting is not something I would like to do without either as the translation does not always phrase their lines in the best way. But Idk...I think if I wanted to play an unvoiced VN I would just read a book. The voices add to the game in the same way the pictures and music do if you ask me.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »
Almost done with this (On the last quarter of chapter 8). Been a wild ride where I think the only low points were chapter 5 and 6 as the story seemed to lose a bit of focus. Still quite good though.

Questions

Who do you guys think

Spoiler for Hiden:
Is the true culprit? I mean I guess it's between Shannon, Kyrie & Rudolf and Rosa. But I'm not too sure if this game is just trying to throw me off

Also about Beatrice

Spoiler for Hiden:
Has to be a man right? I guess they didn't want to reveal that because the shounen-ai would be kinda unappealing I guess? Because that would make the shannon-george romance shounen ai as well. I wonder what his sexual problem was though? Was he a tranny or something?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
Well, that's what I get for reading random spoilers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up