Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 09:56:32 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Umineko no Naku Koro Ni + Chiru  (Read 12782 times)

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni + Chiru
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »

Umineko is a very special visual novel to me. Since finishing the game many years ago, I have spent more time on this series than any other franchises. Through his writing, Ryukishi07 has changed many viewpoints I have on life itself. What makes Umineko a masterpiece is the fact that people will walk out of the game, some having gained nothing but frustration, yet some having reached a new state of mind (such as myself).

Many people will answer Muv-Luv Alternative or Ever17 when asked what their favorite visual novels are, but I will answer that Umineko is not only my favorite visual novel, but the greatest thing I've ever read. This means in any medium, stretching from paper books to anime to live action movies.  I thought I would be doing the franchise a huge demerit should I not at least attempt to spread this game a bit more, even though it's quite an old title. The purposes of creating this thread is mostly as a motivator to make Pebble play through this game faster, but I also want everyone here to have a go at it if they haven't. Not everyone will like Umineko. In fact, many people and critics panned it. However it's such a unique piece of work, regardless of whether you end up liking it or not, it's without a doubt worth your time playing.

Split into eight segments, with the latter four episodes labeled "Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Chiru", this is quite the lengthy read. For those of you unfamiliar with visual novels, it can be daunting. It took me well over 50 hours to play through all eight episodes. However the end result is definitely worth it.

As R07 once said in his interview with KEIYA, “With Umineko, I have created a way to reveal everything in a way that could not be copied and pasted.” The discussions for this series is endless as evident by 1700 pages thread on AnimeSuki, and that's so precious for works in this industry today. It's my hope that everyone will take a look into this game as long as time allows. It's a series that I can proudly call a masterpiece. If any of you do choose to get started with this journey, I'd love for you to keep us updated with your progress here. If you've finished the game, I would love your thoughts regardless of whether you hated it or loved it.

Also, there is no Umineko anime.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Umineko no Naku Koro Ni + Chiru
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
This is a horror one, right?
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
This is a horror one, right?

Not really horror? More like mystery...deconstruction. That's the best way I can put it.

Oh, and Action, Comedy, Romance, Drama, Fantasy...

Offline MCAL

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:01:51 PM »
I played Umineko a few months ago (I played with the PS3 patch though). I like it very much, and I think the people who pan it (About not answering the whodunit) are missing the point entirely, though I prefer Higurashi over it.

It's not by much though, I'd give Higurashi a 9/10 and Umineko an 8.5/10.

EDIT: Umineko however does have the best soundtrack in the VNs I've played. Very atmospheric.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:10:37 PM by MCAL »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:42:47 PM »
Also, there is no Umineko anime.

Oh yes there ****ing is, and it is mostly thanks to you assholes that I watched it.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
Still waiting for you answer posts, ImperialX.

While I was very intrigued by Umineko's mystery, I would recommend Umineko to anyone looking for a compelling and well-written narrative just because of how it kept drawing strong emotive responses from me. From the ridiculousness of the plot's presentation to the compelling characters, I never felt that I was losing out even when I had no idea HOW I could solve the mystery. If anything, I feel that Umineko is a compelling story that will be a learning experience or a point of debate for anyone who musters up the motivation to read it.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:17:16 PM »
OK now, just you pretend that you are speaking to your beloved 4 year old daughter who means the world to you, and she is absolute terrified of anything significantly over the rating of Mature, now you pretend that I am that little girl, you look me in the eye, and you tell me that this is not scary.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »
Still waiting for you answer posts, ImperialX.

While I was very intrigued by Umineko's mystery, I would recommend Umineko to anyone looking for a compelling and well-written narrative just because of how it kept drawing strong emotive responses from me. From the ridiculousness of the plot's presentation to the compelling characters, I never felt that I was losing out even when I had no idea HOW I could solve the mystery. If anything, I feel that Umineko is a compelling story that will be a learning experience or a point of debate for anyone who musters up the motivation to read it.

I've actually been playing through the game again, and this time in Japanese because I found that a few things weren't quite in place given how the Red Text was interpreted in Witch-Hunt's translation. I'm really sorry for taking this long, but with a story as deep and intricate as Umineko, I can't put my thoughts on paper until I'm absolutely prepared.

As Ryukishi said, one can fully enjoy Umineko even without thinking about the mystery component of it at all, and you're absolutely correct in saying that you can read it if only for the compelling story.

Oh yes there ****ing is, and it is mostly thanks to you assholes that I watched it.

It happened in your dream. It doesn't actually exist. You need to play the VN.

OK now, just you pretend that you are speaking to your beloved 4 year old daughter who means the world to you, and she is absolute terrified of anything significantly over the rating of Mature, now you pretend that I am that little girl, you look me in the eye, and you tell me that this is not scary.

Anything would be Horror if that was the case. Detective Conan gave me nightmares when I was 9. I constantly thought those faceless men colored in black would come and murder me when I was asleep and create a sealed room.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:39:21 AM »

Once upon a time nearly pissed my pants playing through Lavender Town. I don't think it was a horror game though.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 05:47:29 AM »
God damnit I'll look it up myself

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
It happened in your dream. It doesn't actually exist. You need to play the VN.

I don't even like regular cats, so what makes you think I want to watch VNs based on nautical versions of them?
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »
Started reading it recently with the ps3 patch. So glad I did as a lot would be missed out without some of the glorious voice acting.

Funny because the anime was so bad. I think I will pin the anime as the worst visual novel adaption ever made haha. I can't blame them though, this is wayyyyy too long to have an anime adaption.

I would never call Umineko a horror game though. It's a thriller, mainly made for shock value. It's too over the top to be creepy haha.

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »
I wouldn't go as far as to call it "the worst visual novel adaptation ever made" since that is a fairly steep standard, but it really does piss right on all those fans who actually wanted to solve the mystery.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
Well I can't think of a worse one personally. Not even the tsukihime anime was as bad as everyone made it out to be. Sure it was bad for the fans, but it certainly wasn't unwatchable. The directing and pacing on the umineko anime however...was beyond atrocious.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 04:59:57 PM »
Tsukihime and Umineko anime are in the same level to me. Atrocious.

In Umineko I prefer the original art. The troll and cry faces in the new art is not in the same level of the R07 designs. But the voice acting is very good. Sayaka Ohara Beatrice is insane.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up