Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 06:42:04 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion: A Top 10 Animes of All Time Video  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Suggestion: A Top 10 Animes of All Time Video
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »
An ordered and so-called objective top ten would be fairly pretentious, I feel. That simply isn't how the relationship between reviewer, anime, and viewer works. The bottom line is that practically no one would agree 100% with the exact placements of such a list, or the justifications for each anime, probably not even the people who would make it. If that's the case, making this list begins to look like an impossible task. NHRV could probably give it as good as an attempt as it's going to get, if they went back and rewatched tons of anime, and wrote essays and had long discussions, but I doubt any of the reviewers have that kind of time on their hands. In any case, if the goal is to showcase great anime, I think the NHRV can do better than just copying something that has been done to death on youtube, and everywhere else.   
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »
There's no such thing as an objective top 10 list. Writing quality is something humankind has determined. If we judged writing quality based on our perceptions of what good writing is and called it the end all be all, it'd be pretentious as ****.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:32:39 PM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline The Little King

• King Corobo of Alpoko

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »
For starters, would be hoping it's an objective top 10. Not a Top 10 'Favourite', I was thinking top 10 best.

I think attempting to compile a representative, 'objective' Top "10" list of a thriving, 50 year old medium which, currently, creates more than 200 titles and generates more than 6.5 billion dollars of revenue yearly is a fool's errand and would serve little purpose.

Problem is, because it's entirely subjective, it doesn't leave any room open for debate, and heaps of people have done that already. I'm more interested in seeing an objective Top 10, one that's the result of plenty of intense discussion & debate, and would hopefully include some of the 9-10 rated anime on this site, which hardly had any exposure within the mainstream.

The notion of "objective" reviewing I find rather ridiculous in and of itself, I think similarly about the notion that you can't 'debate' subjective impression. Fumoffu! wrote a hard-to-disagree rebuttal in a different topic: http://www.nihonreview.com/forum/index.php?topic=2021.msg41440#msg41440.

Those subjective reviews are a form of critical debate and discurse, be it the jumping off-point or a piece in a long line of criticism. If they weren't we'd end up with, as gedata noted in the very same thread, this: http://www.destructoid.com/100-objective-review-final-fantasy-xiii-179178.phtml.

I actually would love to see the NHR-community put their individual lists of favourite Anime up, complete with descriptions why they resonate with them and deserve the place on their pedestal.

To me, it's not so much important what's on the list but rather the why - Abbas Kiarostami once said:" I make one film as a filmmaker, but the audience, based on that film, makes 100 movies in their minds. This is what I strive for. Sometimes, when my audiences tell me about the mental movies they have made based on my movie, I am surprised, and I become the audience for their movies as they are describing them to me."

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
There's no such thing as an objective top 10 list.

I think in terms of the impact an anime has made to the industry, it's possible to compile a top 10 list. It's measurable as long as the parameters are clearly defined - for example its sales, inspired spinoffs or Google search analytics. However when it comes to the supposed "quality" or "enjoyment", I agree with Kiniest and Marid King that there's no way to make a list without being pretentious.

Like AC said, it'll have to be a list of "Top 10 Favourite Anime".

I actually would love to see the NHR-community put their individual lists of favourite Anime up, complete with descriptions why they resonate with them and deserve the place on their pedestal.

I think this is a better direction for this thread to go in. We've established why it's impossible for NHRV to write an "objective" list of "the top 10 anime of all time". We should just all post our individual lists of our favourites in this thread as you suggested. As Fumoffu! said it's pretty hard to come up with a top 10 so maybe we'll have to put in a bit of thought.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
There's no such thing as an objective top 10 list.

I think in terms of the impact an anime has made to the industry, it's possible to compile a top 10 list. It's measurable as long as the parameters are clearly defined - for example its sales, inspired spinoffs or Google search analytics.

Well, yes, but I was mainly on the subjectivity side of the issue. I probably should have been a bit more specific.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline RustySpider

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 02:24:09 AM »
An ordered and so-called objective top ten would be fairly pretentious, I feel. That simply isn't how the relationship between reviewer, anime, and viewer works. The bottom line is that practically no one would agree 100% with the exact placements of such a list, or the justifications for each anime, probably not even the people who would make it.
Don't see the problem in invoking some debate.

As for being pretentious, remember, it would be what this site thinks is the best 10, not just their favourite. It's not the definitive answer to the ultimate question of 'What are the best 10 animes ever', it's no different to all the other organized top 10s. Are Gametrailers pretentious for creating a 'Top 10 Games of the Decade' video as opposed to a 'Top 10 Favourite Games of the Decade'?
If that's the case, making this list begins to look like an impossible task. NHRV could probably give it as good as an attempt as it's going to get, if they went back and rewatched tons of anime, and wrote essays and had long discussions,
I wouldn't even think of expecting that much work. It just has to be based on what the reviewers have seen so far, which I'd imagine is a lot more than your average viewer.

In any case, if the goal is to showcase great anime, I think the NHRV can do better than just copying something that has been done to death on youtube, and everywhere else.
Copying said thing makes it a hell of a lot more accessible to the average viewer than say, 'A Critical Analysis of Underrated Anime Titles'.

A lot of mainstream anime viewers wouldn't even come close to expecting something like The Rose of Versailles (or something else rated 10), an anime they've never heard of, to even be considered by someone (or a group) to be one of the best 10 animes of all time, and it might spurn them on to check something out that isn't called One Piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Bleach or Fairy Tail.

The notion of "objective" reviewing I find rather ridiculous in and of itself, I think similarly about the notion that you can't 'debate' subjective impression. Fumoffu! wrote a hard-to-disagree rebuttal in a different topic:
Ok, nevermind me saying it's objective, that's my mistake because it's really subjective.

I'd like to see a Top 10 based on what the reviewers consider to be the best, based on all the animes they've seen. Basically, a top 10 that's based on the qualities that merit a high score in the site's reviews.

As opposed to a 'Top 10 Favourite Anime', because anyone can love anything, even though it might be really really bad. I still like Ichigo 100%, but mainly for nostalgic reasons, I wouldn't consider it to be one of the best 10.

Are all these anime awards judged on what the organizers favourites are? No, they're judged on what they consider to be the best. Does that make them pretentious?

Watch the video I posted in the OP. The whole point of this suggestion thread is because I'd be interested in seeing this site's version of that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:47:45 AM by RustySpider »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up