Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 11:16:39 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So, Legend of Galactic Hereos just got licensed  (Read 2223 times)

Offline SQA

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:07:34 PM by SQA »

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

Re: So, Legend of Galatic Hereos just got licensed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 05:57:20 PM »
Once some Madhouse shows I've wanting to own get licensed, then I'll agree on Hell's conditions.

Seriously, I'm happy that everyone's critical darling will finally be available for purchase in the States and all, but...meh. LoGH would be a good series if it wasn't, y'know, over a hundred episodes long?

As for Higurashi Kai, I'd rather it stay away from me as far as possible.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:36:06 PM by Mr. Flawfinder »
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline MCAL

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-02/viz-adds-legend-of-galactic-heroes-novels-one-punch-man-anime/.89995

Coincidentally (Though probably not), the novels also got licensed. And I know LOGH was getting a new anime apparently, so it seems Arakawa taking interest in Arslan Senki has been a pretty good thing.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
Hopefully they'll leave Higurashi with the one bad dub it already has

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

Re: So, Legend of Galactic Hereos just got licensed
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 09:45:32 PM »
*Pops champaign cork, makes sacrifice to pagan god, dances in the street.

This is the greatest new I've heard all week, okay second, maybe third. Still amazing. This isn't hell freezing over news. This is world peace in our lifetime good.

Offline KS

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:59:47 PM »
Once some Madhouse shows I've wanting to own get licensed, then I'll agree on Hell's conditions.

Seriously, I'm happy that everyone's critical darling will finally be available for purchase in the States and all, but...meh. LoGH would be a good series if it wasn't, y'know, over a hundred episodes long?

As for Higurashi Kai, I'd rather it stay away from me as far as possible.

It actually uses those 110 episodes to the fullest.  I actually felt kind of a sense of loss after it was all over, but it was worth every episode of it.  It's also not a good series but kind of one of the best things I've ever seen period.

I wonder how they're going to package it and I wonder if that means they got the prequel OVAs and the movies.  I wonder how many minutes that is overall.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 04:27:08 AM »
I'm at the age where I can't handle serialized storytelling that goes on for that long. I can't even rewatch Monster anymore, and I loved it when I was younger (also kinda bitter they only released one box here given that I watched the entire dub on SyFy and all). Short and succinct is the name of the game for me, and as such, I am content with just rewatching Star Wars and proceeding to ignore everything else non-movie related that Wookiepedia is trying to bash into my head as canon.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
Something like The Wire is 5 seAsons of 1 hr episodes and its enjoyed a nice bout of popularity on streaming services after all these years. I don't think the length is a major issue.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:31:18 AM »
Not really a big fan of those long live-action dramas like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Orange Is The New Black, Mad Men, etc. I respect most of them for being well-written and all, but I never grew up with that format at all. Only ones I've seen and liked are Daredevil, House of Cards (first season. Got bored halfway through the 2nd), and True Detective and they're still too new to see if they can keep me in for multiple seasons. I'm going to try The Sopranos sometime later, but in general, I don't do long series unless it's a comedy.

Same rule applies to manga as well for that matter. Unless it's funny (and it almost never is in manga's case), I don't read it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:55:53 AM by Mr. Flawfinder »

Offline KS

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »
I'm at the age where I can't handle serialized storytelling that goes on for that long. I can't even rewatch Monster anymore, and I loved it when I was younger (also kinda bitter they only released one box here given that I watched the entire dub on SyFy and all). Short and succinct is the name of the game for me, and as such, I am content with just rewatching Star Wars and proceeding to ignore everything else non-movie related that Wookiepedia is trying to bash into my head as canon.

What if I told you I've watched the whole thing at least twice?  Sometimes when I'm bored I'll just throw on a random episode and pretty much every time I'll just end up watching the whole thing.  It's just kind of compelling stuff, really easy to watch, but it's not for everyone.

Not really a big fan of those long live-action dramas like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Orange Is The New Black, Mad Men, etc. I respect most of them for being well-written and all, but I never grew up with that format at all. Only ones I've seen and liked are Daredevil, House of Cards (first season. Got bored halfway through the 2nd), and True Detective and they're still too new to see if they can keep me in for multiple seasons. I'm going to try The Sopranos sometime later, but in general, I don't do long series unless it's a comedy.

Same rule applies to manga as well for that matter. Unless it's funny (and it almost never is in manga's case), I don't read it.

Again every time I think I'm becoming too boring and staid and don't like anything anymore or know how to have fun you kind of show me that there's another level yet that I'll probably never reach.  Consistent opinions between things and ideas at least instead of selective bitching which is a real rarity, but like man the way you don't seem to like anything conversation is kind of a little one sided a lot of the time.

Even still, IMO Netflix pretty much has the best television currently airing anywhere in the world right now.  If it wasn't for their shows TV might as well be kind of dead, but no they've sort of been saving the good drama that the networks don't really want to take a chance on anymore and which they can't even air anymore with the current state of TV laws and how everything has to be PC.  I find Netflix presents a sort of win/win situation for serials.  Network TV gets to focus on the reality TV that has kind of become the dominant form of popular television in the 21st century, Netflix gets to keep good well produced drama and comedy alive and can play by it's own rules.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:31:14 PM by KS »

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »
Finally, some things I actually want to buy on home video. Still waiting for Hunter x Hunter, though (possibly forever).
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »
Consistent opinions between things and ideas at least instead of selective bitching which is a real rarity, but like man the way you don't seem to like anything conversation is kind of a little one sided a lot of the time.

If I come off as one-sided, it's because I'm firmly on my own side, completely content with how I view things. And after watching anime for so long, I've come to realize that it's better to like only a few things from the medium, or any medium you enjoy for that matter. Also, since there's a lot less anime than there are movies, video games, etc. I don't get as many chances to find something I enjoy. Besides, even if I wanted anime to get on the same level as Netflix in terms of producing a wide range of quality shows, it's never going to happen. So instead, I just watch a bunch of shows I don't enjoy and criticize them like that stern father who wants his children to do better. And if they do please me, I'll give them money.

Even still, IMO Netflix pretty much has the best television currently airing anywhere in the world right now.

Not denying that at all. Aside from HBO and the occasional ABC sitcom, I don't even pay attention to what's being syndicated these days.
Pages: [1]   Go Up