Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 09:41:20 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hearthstone: Heroes of WarCraft  (Read 4193 times)

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

Hearthstone: Heroes of WarCraft
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:23:17 AM »
So, who here plays this awesome pay to win free to play online card game by Blizzard?

I've been playing this game for a few days since receiving a beta key, and the open beta is going to be starting next month so I heard. It's really fun and I'm looking forward to the open beta and the official release.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of WarCraft
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:25:58 AM »
Personally, I'm awaiting a beta key.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:28:49 AM »

Just one more turn, and I would have had five Legendaries on the board! So sad he conceded.

Personally, I'm awaiting a beta key.

Check your Battle.net account. You might already have Hearthstone unlocked.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »
Check your Battle.net account. You might already have Hearthstone unlocked.

Yup, it was there in my spam folder.

Now I'm packing a Mage deck (go figure).

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:28:11 AM »
Now I'm packing a Mage deck (go figure).

Don't play Mage past the tutorial. They got nerf'd just a few days ago if you haven't heard.

I was a Mage player but switched to Druid. 10-mana Pyroblast is the epitome of useless.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 12:12:26 PM »
Don't play Mage past the tutorial. They got nerf'd just a few days ago if you haven't heard.

I was a Mage player but switched to Druid. 10-mana Pyroblast is the epitome of useless.

I actually play mage because I like the Hero ability.  That 1 damage to everything gives me so much board control.  Also the AOE severely disrupts most decks.   Will try Druid soon.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »
I actually play mage because I like the Hero ability.  That 1 damage to everything gives me so much board control.  Also the AOE severely disrupts most decks.   Will try Druid soon.

If you like that 1 damage, play Rogue. The hero ability equips a 1/2 dagger so for two mana you can do two damage over two turns unlike Mage which does one damage for two mana.

Of course since Rogue simply uses a weapon, she will lose health herself when she attacks a minion. But you do get two damage for two mana instead of one.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
Of course since Rogue simply uses a weapon, she will lose health herself when she attacks a minion. But you do get two damage for two mana instead of one.
That still leaves the issue of the AOE damage cards.   Wizard seems to be stacked to the brim with them.  The other races have some, but they're rare.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »
That still leaves the issue of the AOE damage cards.   Wizard seems to be stacked to the brim with them.  The other races have some, but they're rare.

That's how Mages work, they have good spells in compensate for worse minions. Of course if you enjoy their playstyle, that's fine, but the other races can get by without as much AoE spells.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 09:23:56 AM »
That's how Mages work, they have good spells in compensate for worse minions. Of course if you enjoy their playstyle, that's fine, but the other races can get by without as much AoE spells.

It's a quirk from my Magic the Gathering days.  I've always liked control decks.  Given that there are no concept of instants, there really is no pure control deck in this game, but the way Mages play are pretty disruptive.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
I tried watching Day9 play this, but I can't stand watching him make dumb plays. Any good streamers for this?
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 12:46:39 AM »
It's a quirk from my Magic the Gathering days.  I've always liked control decks.  Given that there are no concept of instants, there really is no pure control deck in this game, but the way Mages play are pretty disruptive.

I'm not sure that the inclusion of instant cards would be beneficial for the game. Blizzard created Hearthstone as a purely digital card game. It's fine in MTG where you play at a table but as an online game, it will just slow it down as well as diminish enjoyment levels. Every time the opponent does anything, you will need to click on a Dialogue box. I certainly don't want that.

I tried watching Day9 play this, but I can't stand watching him make dumb plays. Any good streamers for this?

Just go on Twitch and watch whoever has the most viewers at the moment. They're usually never bad at the game like Day9, for one.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
I'm not sure that the inclusion of instant cards would be beneficial for the game. Blizzard created Hearthstone as a purely digital card game. It's fine in MTG where you play at a table but as an online game, it will just slow it down as well as diminish enjoyment levels. Every time the opponent does anything, you will need to click on a Dialogue box. I certainly don't want that.
Oh, I wasn't saying that they should include instants.  I was just reminiscing at the times where I bounced creatures buffed up to 20/20 the moment before they could attack me.

Anyways, I'm going priest now since that 1/3 card with the ability to draw card whenever a minion is healed is OP.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
Oh, I wasn't saying that they should include instants.  I was just reminiscing at the times where I bounced creatures buffed up to 20/20 the moment before they could attack me.

Anyways, I'm going priest now since that 1/3 card with the ability to draw card whenever a minion is healed is OP.

Doing Priests is a good idea. They're one of the best races in our current meta.

Speaking of which, I never see you on. Which server are you on? I'm on the North American one...same as StarCraft. We should already be added.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »
Speaking of which, I never see you on. Which server are you on? I'm on the North American one...same as StarCraft. We should already be added.
Friend request sent.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up