Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

January 23, 2018, 12:55:09 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2013: A Year in Review  (Read 9388 times)

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

2013: A Year in Review
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »
And another edition of our annual review article is up for everyone's reading pleasure! What do you guys think of our picks? We're happy to discuss anything regarding the article, so please post comments here.

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • Desdemondia's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Desdemondia
    • @Desdemondia

Re: 2013: A Year in Review
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 01:46:44 PM »
While there are quite a few solid series that are worth mentioning, (WA2, Zetsuen no Tempest) it seems the AOTY is generally agreed upon to be Shinsekai yori which would have my vote as well. The reason Shinsekai probably wins over the general consensus, is a result of it's impact being the deepest with the heaviest impression so that when we look back on a year, that's what we remember most.
While Zetsuen was churned out an interesting and strong plot all along with the relatively unique Shakespearean flair to it, as said before, the premise was initially rather unengaging and as a result, first impressions didn't quite hit as hard as Shinsekai. It did finish off with a great ending, and as such deserves recognition. 

WA2 was just excellent. A minor quibble that it had some minor technical issues with the animation/ anatomy shots but it excelled in the music aspect as it should. The series played out the story's romance in a down-to-earth manner with humanly wholesome characters to connect with, and is IMO one of the best romance animes out there.

On a side note, Shinsekai's art was just puzzlingly attractive to me. Yes, it had some animation hiccups but somehow the character designs/art style or something about it, was just absolutely fascinating and gorgeous to watch.
Also another trivial comment on the Kyousougiga section: "It’s an incredible joy to watch the visually crazy but overall lighthearted adventure series about a looking for her mother in a world created from a living painting."
not sure how the typo correction system might work but anyways it seems to be missing 'girl' :)

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »
Love Lab didn't make it, but I suppose it didn't really deserve being up there for Maki alone. I suppose if ServantxService didn't make the cut, Love Lab sure wasnt going to. This was a hell of a year, and awfully competitive too.
Silver Spoon, Silver spoon... again, didn't watch it. Probably got cut out. Like I said, competitive year.

Is Monogatari SS really not here or are my awful reading skill resurfacing again? I didn't watch it, but I gathered that plenty of people loved it. I also imagine ImperialX will be unhappy about Kiniro Mosaic not making it, since he loved that show, but then I didn't, so I don't know why I'm saying this instead of waiting for him to have his say. I suppose, then, I should probably guess that kevo's pick, had he participated, would have been-
Wait. No. No. No no no no is Girls und Panzer not here? It's not on the 2012 Year in Review article either. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I eventually got around to finishing Gatchaman:Crowds, and I am happy it wasn't on the list.

On a side note, Shinsekai's art was just puzzlingly attractive to me. Yes, it had some animation hicc
ups but somehow the character designs/art style or something about it, was just absolutely fascinating and gorgeous to watch.
Right? Its like the character designs were designed in profile to make the show look like a weird kind of moving painting...

But I'm happy. Especially since everyone loved Shinsekai Yori. Shinsekai Yori is divine. Shinsekai Yori is simply divine.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:19:21 PM by Pebble »

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:08:26 PM »
The list is pretty much what I expected, fun read as always.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 05:16:17 PM »
I have Kyousogiga as my number one anime (I simply didn't think it made a single misstep), but I wholeheartedly support those who feel Shin Sekai Yori as AOTY.

My Top Ten Anime:
1.) Kyousogiga
2.) Shin Sekai Yori
3.) Little Busters Refrain
4.) Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge
5.) Uchoten Kazoku
6.) Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen
7.) Zetsuen no Tempest
8.) White Album 2
9: Hataraku Maou-sama
10.) Watamote
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:12:05 PM by MCAL »

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:45:54 PM »
Yay! 500th post.

As Marid King says, this list is pretty much what I expected it to be, but I was still very much looking forward to reading it. In fact, when it didn't come out on January the 1st, I even nagged on Twitter regarding when this would be published. I'm glad that it's published for our viewing pleasure now.

I'm pretty happy that similar to 2012, I only have one major gripe regarding the list, and as most of you may have guessed, it's Shinmaru's nomination of WataMote. There are a few series which I thought didn't deserve to be mentioned (such as Maoyuu Maou Yuusha) but they're not bad shows by any means, so I'm OK with that. It's all subjective after all.

Shinmaru describes the most cringeworthy humour of WataMote to be "consistently funny". I really can't relate to this. I find the humour in WataMote is consistently self degrading, constantly awkward and this feeling increased exponentially all the way till the ending which was also terrible. Of course, a good ending wouldn't do a black comedy well and I'm not saying that a good ending would have saved the show. It's just that from the very beginning, no one should theoretically like this show. No wonder it didn't even break 2K in sales - and I'm not even surprised.

As expected, Shinsekai Yori got an overwhelming consensus as Anime of the Year. I'm not surprised one bit, although I certainly do feel underwhelmed. Even if I were to be banned from nominating moe shows, I would still have nominated Kyousougiga over Shinsekai Yori. And in the end, not a single staff member who contributed voting for Kyousougiga. I mean come on, even Oregairu and Aku no Hana got nominated once! Kyousougiga deserves more love than this.

Love Lab didn't make it, but I suppose it didn't really deserve being up there for Maki alone. I suppose if ServantxService didn't make the cut, Love Lab sure wasnt going to. This was a hell of a year, and awfully competitive too.

I was really surprised about that actually. Not a single pure comedy made this cut. Really, really sad about this. I think the format of the Year in Review needs a change because I feel it isn't fair to omit an entire genre. Many people I know only watch anime for laughs.

Is Monogatari SS really not here or are my awful reading skill resurfacing again? I didn't watch it, but I gathered that plenty of people loved it.

You're not misreading. I re-read the whole thing three times because I couldn't believe Monogatari Second Season wasn't included. This is insanity, I tell you. I expected the staff members to love that series because it was done really well - without a doubt the best in the series thus far and one of the best anime this year.

I also imagine ImperialX will be unhappy about Kiniro Mosaic not making it, since he loved that show, but then I didn't, so I don't know why I'm saying this instead of waiting for him to have his say. I suppose, then, I should probably guess that keno's pick...

I'm not unhappy. I've been reading this site for a while now and I pretty much get the tastes of most of the staff member here. Even if kevo was given an opportunity to write, he would still have nominated Girls und Panzer instead of Kiniro Mosaic. There was no hope in the first place for my Best Anime of the Year here. It's tough being a moefag around this area. ;_;

...Wait. No. No. No no no no is Girls und Panzer not here? It's not on the 2012 Year in Review article either. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dammit kevo, why didn't you write? WHY DIDN'T YOU WRITE?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
Love Lab didn't make it, but I suppose it didn't really deserve being up there for Maki alone.

I wanted to nominate Love Lab badly, but I just couldn't.  Fun show, undoubtedly, and deserves props for being a surprise, but.. enh.  Just couldn't hold up against the other titles, sadly.

I suppose if ServantxService didn't make the cut, Love Lab sure wasnt going to.

I did nominate SxS, but nobody else did, so it fell off the list.  I mentioned it in my AOTY section.

Silver Spoon, Silver spoon... again, didn't watch it. Probably got cut out. Like I said, competitive year.

Silver Spoon was nominated by a couple of us, but fell off the list as a casualty.

Is Monogatari SS really not here or are my awful reading skill resurfacing again?

It isn't, and I don't think it is an oversight so much as an "uncertainty" thing.  It was nominated, but I think most of us were unsure if we SHOULD nominate something that is, quite frankly, just Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari in another season.  Nothing Monogatari SS did was new or interesting compared to the previous shows.  Sure, there's some growth and development, but in the end it is just the same show continuing on.  This was the same argument I made against Chihayafuru's second season, and defended against for Railgun's second season.

The exception might be Hunter x Hunter, when it is finished.  It was one of the AOTY candidates in 2012, but if the show continues to blaze new trails beyond itself, then it will probably come up again when it finally ends.

I also imagine ImperialX will be unhappy about Kiniro Mosaic not making it, since he loved that show, but then I didn't, so I don't know why I'm saying this instead of waiting for him to have his say.

Wasn't nominated.  In general, we try to keep the AOTY candidates as shows that were stand outs for reasons other than our own personal subjective enjoyment.  This is probably a failing of ours, but it is what it is.  This is why I didn't include Love Lab, for example.

Wait. No. No. No no no no is Girls und Panzer not here? It's not on the 2012 Year in Review article either. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This was a casualty of confusion.  One of the drawbacks of including multi-cour shows from Fall of the previous year is knowing whether to include them in that year's AOTY candidacy or the next year's.  You'll notice that we included Psycho Pass in last year's even though several other shows from Fall 2012 ended up in 2013's AOTY list.  I think, after a point, we just got confused as to WHEN to consider Girls und Panzer and it just got forgotten about.

Which might say something, actually.

I eventually got around to finishing Gatchaman:Crowds, and I am happy it wasn't on the list.

Was nominated, but cut.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
I did nominate SxS, but nobody else did, so it fell off the list.  I mentioned it in my AOTY section.

This is the saddest thing ever. Thanks for mentioning it though. ;_;

I think, after a point, we just got confused as to WHEN to consider Girls und Panzer and it just got forgotten about.

Which might say something, actually.

I refuse to believe kevo would forget about Girls und Panzer. It's a masterpiece to him, let alone the best anime of 2013.

EDIT: Wrote the wrong series name...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:02:12 PM »
This is the saddest thing ever.

Yeah, I wish I'd have pushed for some nominations.  SxS would have been one of them.  It has a perfect mix of comedy and still has all the technical aspects we usually love around here.

Quote from: ImperialX
I refuse to believe kevo would forget about Kiniro Mosaic. It's a masterpiece to him, let alone the best anime of 2013.

I actually DID bring it up in the nomination phase, but it never got discussed by anybody, so I just dropped the debate.

Kevo was persona non exista during this whole thing.  I don't know where he is.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »
Quote from: ImperialX
I refuse to believe kevo would forget about Kiniro Mosaic. It's a masterpiece to him, let alone the best anime of 2013.

I actually DID bring it up in the nomination phase, but it never got discussed by anybody, so I just dropped the debate.

Kevo was persona non exista during this whole thing.  I don't know where he is.

Sorry, I actually meant to say Girls und Panzer. Kevo liked Kiniro Mosaic but he wouldn't go as far to say that it was a masterpiece like me. He does think that Girls und Panzer is one of the best anime of all time though, not just the best anime of 2013. I'm 100% certain he wouldn't have forgotten it if he was contributing.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 06:06:39 PM »
Weird, I must have blinders on, because I read that as "Girls und Panzer" without you needing to clarify.

Anyway, now that I look over the nomination thread again, Shinmaru nominated GuP, too.  I know we were doing the final nominations based on how many of us nominated a show, so just us two wasn't enough to get it nominated.

But, yeah, kevo hasn't been around in a while now.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »
I'm going to echo what others are saying, because if this wasn't a year with Shin Sekai Yori in it, I'd have considered it a contender for AOTY. I'm just staggered that Monogatari didn't make the list when other, particularly mediocre series like Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and SNAFU got on (and hell, I like SNAFU, it had some great moments... but it was nowhere near consistent enough to be a top series of the year.)

I think the AOTY discussion would have been an interesting one if Shin Sekai Yori wasn't miles ahead of everything else that aired this year.  Monogatari and Blast of Tempest are two that immediately come to mind.  Eccentric Family was excellent as well.  If Railgun S was just the Sisters Arc and nothing else... Also, Chihayafuru S2 would have certainly been in my top 10 list, but slightly lower because it was just more of the same... even if that "same" was so damn good.

How does 2013 stack up with other years?  2011 was easily the best recent year (Penguindrum, Madoka, Wandering Son, Steins;Gate, Usagi Drop).  2012 didn't have so many truly great anime, but it had a lot of visually ambitious series that were slightly flawed in one way or another (Hyouka, Fate/Zero, Chihayafuru... hell, even Guilty Crown falls into this category if you discard the word "slightly").  2013, I feel, did have a handful of great anime (that I listed above), but I'm not sure I'll look back on it as fondly as 2012, because I don't think it had many series that were enjoyable for their ambition alone.  To this day, I can still rewatch random episodes of Hyouka or Humanity Has Declined and make several hours disappear in what feels like an instant.  I don't think there were many anime that had the same effect from 2013, except for maybe Infinite Stratos S2.

So, the only conclusion I can arrive at now is that Infinite Stratos S2 was AOTY and you're all plebs for not agreeing.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »
I'm interested in how this was put together. From what I've read, I would guess each reviewer gets a few nominations, and if enough people nominate the same show, it goes on?
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »
Shinmaru describes the most cringeworthy humour of WataMote to be "consistently funny". I really can't relate to this. I find the humour in WataMote is consistently self degrading, constantly awkward and this feeling increased exponentially all the way till the ending which was also terrible. Of course, a good ending wouldn't do a black comedy well and I'm not saying that a good ending would have saved the show. It's just that from the very beginning, no one should theoretically like this show. No wonder it didn't even break 2K in sales - and I'm not even surprised.

You really hate Watamote don't you?

Definitely think you should read the Random Curiosity reviews of Watamote. I thought they were a nice revelation to me.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:42:19 PM by MCAL »

Offline KS

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »
Am I literally the only person that thinks the Monogatari franchise is just amongst the most loathsome things to come out of anime in the past decade or so and that it shouldn't really be considered for the best of anything aside from best show at wasting my time? I'm frankly glad its left off the list, it makes for a unique read, like honestly without it I find nobodies picks disagreeable.  Even though I'm really not keen on Eccentric Family I can I guess respect a pick for it unlike Monogatari.  Like there was really an opportunity for people to make some really typical choices but honestly the love for Yamato and Watamote for example was nice to see.  Really thought this was just going to be all slice of life and designate high artistic merit coming of age type stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up