Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 11:23:47 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Grisaia no Kajitsu.  (Read 8661 times)

Offline hyperknees91

Grisaia no Kajitsu.
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »
Anyone else read this little gem of a visual novel? It's about the only one I played where every single heroine route is good (which is saying a lot). Though one of them was a tad disappointing.

Best way to describe it is it's Sharin no Kuni mixed with Full Metal Panic (Read Sharin no Kuni first if you haven't, it's better). If you like visual novels in any shape or form, this is one I wouldn't miss. It isn't anything superb but it's definitely worth a read.

Offline thanosmat

Re: Grisaia no Kajitsu.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
I finished reading the sequels a little time ago. Mixed feelings, but with so many good moments.

Anime adaptation is in the works.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
Just finished it a few days ago actually. Apparently it's getting an anime, but right now no information. Seeing as how Sharin no Kuni anime is unlikely, this may be the best we get.

My favorite routes in order were Makina, Sachi, Amane, Michiru and Sakaki (Sakaki's route was disappointing to me though. For someone who seems to be main heroine, her problem and her route weren't all that until the end. And I didn't care much for how the resolution with her father was handled.)
My favorite heroines in order were Sachi (A surprise considering I am not fond of the maid character), Amane, Makina, Sakaki and Michiru (A surprise considering I am fond of the tsundere character).

I guess my main problem with it was the length. The common route was way too long (the lack of choices didn't help) and most of the routes suffered from pacing problems, especially with the slice of life portions of them.

Makina had the best route. It was like they took the problems of the other routes and fixed them. The pacing of the slice of life scenes were better, the comedy was much more consistently funny, Makina and Yuuji had good chemistry, Yuuji's character was much more fleshed out (I hear the sequel game Meikyuu delves into this more) and even JB got fleshed out more. Her good end was nice, but not perfect. As for the bad end... well that was seriously messed up wasn't it? So I gave that a perfect ten.

As for the technical aspect, music was nice (My favorite ending was Makina's "Forest of Doubt"), the character sprites were well used (And the chibi designs were a real treat.) and it was easy to save/load and all that other stuff.

So I give Grisaia no Kajitsu an 7/10. Waiting in anticipation for the Meikyuu and Rakuen.

EDIT: And how can I forget our MC Kazami Yuuji. Definitely in my top five VN protagonists. Though his actions in Muchiru's were bizarre. He's definitely where the Sharon no Kuni comparisons cone from. And Kazuki does have some Ririko in her. I heard the Sequel games make him even better so I can't wait for that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:37:13 PM by MCAL »

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
To be honest I don't really like the VN that much, I never even managed to complete michiru's or amane's routes because I just got so bored. I think Sharin no Kuni is a far better story and the mc here is just a cheap knock off of Sharin's. Also way too much sexual humor for my taste, it got old really fast.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
I dont like Sharin that much (G-Senjou is miles better). The plot holes and the setting annoy me. The plot twist near the end is ridiculous.

Houzuki is the only character I like (The fandisc with his story is good). Norio Wakamoto is god.

Rakuen, the sequel of Kajitsu, does not follow any route, but a fusion of all routes, where Yuuji got all the girls and solved all their problems.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
I dont like Sharin that much (G-Senjou is miles better). The plot holes and the setting annoy me. The plot twist near the end is ridiculous.

Ummmm... Ploholes, what and Ridiculous, how? (Especially compared to G-Senjou)
In spoilers please...

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
Probably the plot twist where Kenichi gets let go.

I will say that Yuuji is the main problem of Grisaia. He doesn't get enough development (and even when he does in Makina's it's nowhere as much as the other 4 girls). And like said he's just a poor mans Kenichi. That is until the sequels come when he gets properly fleshed out. Don't get me wrong I still liked his character but it was a shame that he wasn't given much love in this game. I'm sure by the time the sequels hit he'll be one of my faves though.

I liked Amane's the most by far though. The setting and what not really intrigued me, and the psychological tension and build up is something I really loved to see.

Ironically despite being many peoples favorite I didn't care much for Makina's route. She ended up being the least developed and shallow of all the girls. In fact she just seemed to be a shallow version of Yumiko as many of her problems were the same but without the buildup. It was a shame because she really works as a side character, just not as a main heroine.

I guess a lot of people liked it because it was the most dynamic route though and he we got to see a lot of Yuuji in it. Still like said before, it felt like they were holding back on revealing everything they needed to just to put it in a sequel. I'm kinda ticked its even got sequels because I'm pretty sure they could've done the entire story in one game like most visual novels if they had just trimmed a lot of the needless content.

Though by far in large my favorite part of every route were the flashbacks. Which was another reason I was disappointed in Makina's because it was so short. Not that her route is bad by any stretch of the imagination...it just could have been so much more.

I'll withold judgement until the sequels are released.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »

Ummmm... Ploholes, what and Ridiculous, how? (Especially compared to G-Senjou)
In spoilers please...

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the Sharin setting, the legal system is implausible. I can't see much logic behind it. Rules are created according to convenience of the plot. The entire plot of his sister is poorly made imho. (From her being on his side all the time).

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
Probably the plot twist where Kenichi gets let go.

I will say that Yuuji is the main problem of Grisaia. He doesn't get enough development (and even when he does in Makina's it's nowhere as much as the other 4 girls). And like said he's just a poor mans Kenichi. That is until the sequels come when he gets properly fleshed out. Don't get me wrong I still liked his character but it was a shame that he wasn't given much love in this game. I'm sure by the time the sequels hit he'll be one of my faves though.

I liked Amane's the most by far though. The setting and what not really intrigued me, and the psychological tension and build up is something I really loved to see.

Ironically despite being many peoples favorite I didn't care much for Makina's route. She ended up being the least developed and shallow of all the girls. In fact she just seemed to be a shallow version of Yumiko as many of her problems were the same but without the buildup. It was a shame because she really works as a side character, just not as a main heroine.

I guess a lot of people liked it because it was the most dynamic route though and he we got to see a lot of Yuuji in it. Still like said before, it felt like they were holding back on revealing everything they needed to just to put it in a sequel. I'm kinda ticked its even got sequels because I'm pretty sure they could've done the entire story in one game like most visual novels if they had just trimmed a lot of the needless content.

Though by far in large my favorite part of every route were the flashbacks. Which was another reason I was disappointed in Makina's because it was so short. Not that her route is bad by any stretch of the imagination...it just could have been so much more.

I'll withold judgement until the sequels are released.

Meikyuu is entirely devoted to develop more the personality of Yuuji. His past is left purposely vague in Kajitsu, to be revealed in Meikyuu.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »
I've been waiting for someone to post about this, this game is fantastic and extremely hysterical. First, rankings:

Amane-Makina-Sachi-Michiru  (did not play Yumiko's because it is usually considered the worst route)

I tend to agree with hyperknees about Amane being far and above the best arc, as it was by far the funniest (everything that came out of Sachi's mouth made me crack up, and I literally convinced someone to play the game because of that beautiful Gundam reference) and the best written. Angelic Howl is the best part of the game with the best character, the best storyline, and its memorable conclusion. Second place goes to Makina's bad ending, which was brilliant and propels the arc to second place in my opinion. Otherwise, I would have went with Sachi because of that sweet ending. Michiru is hysterical, but her route was all over the place. As for Yuuji, he is obviously a rip off of Sharin's protagonist (they have the same opening monologue) but he makes up for it for being really funny throughout the common route and in Amane's and Makina's routes.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 09:16:13 PM »
I also felt a little of Sagara Sousuke in Yuuji as well...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:42:23 AM by MCAL »

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »
I wouldn't say he is a complete rip-off of Sharin's protagonist as he is much more...tame than he is (around women at least). He's also less cheezy, but he's pretty darn similar for sure.

The main weakness is we have no one to cover for Houzuki, and Sharin no Kuni without Houzuki wouldn't be exciting at all now would it.

I also agree that Makina's bad ending was better than her good ending (and I usually never think that about any VN route). Her good ending just felt...kinda empty I have to say. Sachi however I felt had the most heartfelt ending in the game.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »
Heard their going for Yumiko's route, which would be the easiest one to adapt and make sense if they weren't going for Rakuen.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
Heard their going for Yumiko's route, which would be the easiest one to adapt and make sense if they weren't going for Rakuen.

If this is true, is sad. Yumiko's route is the weakest imho.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up