Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 03:34:54 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Greatest RomCom Experience I've Ever Had: Yamada-kun to 7-nin no majo  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

I decided to post about this despite NHRV being mainly an anime discussion site because an anime PV was recently released. Minor spoilers to follow. 

On my hunt to relieve stress via anime/manga junk food, I came across this absolute gem. Yamada-kun to 7-nin no majo seems at first to a run-of-the-mill story be about a boy and girl who bodyswap by kissing; surprisingly however, there's a bigger game afoot...

For a manga that was supposed to turn my brain off, I was amazed at how clever this title is. Of course, everything that I was originally looking for is here; pretty art (girls), interesting characters (girls), funny humor, heartwarming friendship and romance, and stinging heartbreak. What I was not expecting was the elegant ontological mystery that was slowly unraveled via clearthinking experimentation and investigation. Each arc and each character introduced eventually begin to fit together as the pieces of a grand puzzle, and there does in fact seem to be a final resolution in sight. I've never seen fanservice used like this, as both the means to an end and as well as the end result. It's a crying shame more people don't know about this when so many braindead and horrid romcom series are running amok these days. I highly recommend this manga and I hope the anime comes through.

Anyone else heard of this? What are your thoughts?
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline jtan93

I noticed it's manga before but was never motivated to read it, thought it was the typical high-school comedy/romance etc, but then i watched the pv, read a few chapters, and got hooked on. looking forward to the anime.

Offline SQA

There's a live action adaptation currently airing, if you're curious.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

That anime advertisement doesn't mean there's an anime unfortunately. It's a fun managa to turn you brain off during, but that's about it. Nothing remarkable IMO.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

This is one of my favourite series ever. I own all the volumes so far.

Are the English translations up to date? Don't want to accidentally spoil anyone.

Offline Marid King

I think we're slightly behind

Offline stavie33

Re: The Greatest RomCom Experience I've Ever Had: Yamada-kun to 7-nin no majo
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
I've read it since release and have been consistently surprised by it's quality. No it's not groundbreaking, but it certainly feels unique/has it's own atmosphere and continues to remain solid in a genre where so many fall off into filler and failure

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
Well, it's over.  The manga ended with the most recent chapter in one of the more sickeningly happy endings possible, yet still full of the standard appropriate humor levels for Yamada-kun and company.  These last few chapters might have been the most humorous ones, considering the subject matter was mostly dreck (that shot of Yamada's face reading Shiraishi's notes about how to approach her was gold; I had the same look on my face reading that).

I liked Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches, though it became pretty obvious the mangaka had no idea what to do with it after the first set of witches and their issues were resolved.  The male witches were okay for a bit, but ultimately go nowhere, and the third set (replacing the first set) were barely used at all.  Inevitably the cast becomes huge, with the driving force, and by force I mean forced plot element, being the witches no matter what anybody did.  The mistake was having the first set of witches lose their powers in the first place, because Yoshikawa had created some interesting girls to explore more in depth, but they fall by the wayside with most of them becoming footnotes.  I think she was worried about turning this into a full fledged harem, because it was obvious the alpha couple was always going to be Yamada and Shiraishi (or Yamada and Miyamura, depending on your point of view), and she didn't want to drag her characters around in a vain attempt at romance that would never happen.  So she created a bit of a triangle with Odagiri and some tragic memory loss backstory with Himekawa, but it always came back to Shiraishi.  She knew who she wanted this to be about.  Weirdly enough, Shiraishi herself gets a lot of sideways treatment, often being more of a side character herself.  Yamada is the main and always was.

Now, whether all this plot shit makes sense I leave to you.  I thought she was clever with the second female witches and the male witches, tying together certain lose ends from the first witches arc rather cleverly, but ultimately I think it falls on its face.  The attempts at overarching plots with villainous mains just never worked, and this final revelation about Shiraishi herself doesn't make any ****ing sense at all compared to what we've seen.  But, ultimately, Yamada-kun was about two key draw points:  clever and interesting characters and some unique and effective humor.  It was a lighthearted thing, and that's all it needed to be.  It could have run for decades on slice of life elements mucking around with witch powers to do whatever and exploring every character's high school life, but instead it felt like an adventure and mystery story that ultimately it doesn't do particularly well and runs out of steam.

Still, it was a worthwhile watch read.  I'm not sure if Yoshikawa's art is that great (something about the eyes of the girls bugs me), but she draws attractive characters of both sexes and has fun with what she does, so I'll look forward to her next work.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »
Yeah, I followed this for years. Bit sad atm.

This would have been a better work if they condensed the relevant parts of all arcs after the first, and folded it into the first. As is, there's about 2/3rds needless bloat, though I can't say I didn't enjoy myself.

I'm glad we finally did see them getting married. Shiraishi is fairly unique in how open-minded she is, and after seeing her navigate her relationship with Yamada with utmost grace, it's going to be hard to go back to stock tsunderes and the like.

I ended up giving this a 7/10

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 02:37:04 AM »
Shiraishi's atypical behavior for an anime / manga female love interest was refreshing, but far too many times it seemed she was genre savvy on purpose because that's the author wanting to parody or deconstruct those kinds of characters.  It didn't feel genuine, though I still appreciated it.  Shiraishi didn't have to be full on dramatic, but she could have at least shown some kind of emotion or concern.  People aren't that chill.  Of course, if all her behavior ties back to her being the Original Witch and the reason she decided to become one, then it makes more sense.  I do love that her big thing, the one thing that pisses her off to no end, is someone thinking she's normal, mundane, boring.  I didn't see that one coming with her.

I'm just like you, only smarterô.
Pages: [1]   Go Up