Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 10:05:31 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova  (Read 7099 times)

Offline KS

Re: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
Chiming in:

Show was boring, simple as that.  We were given a half dozen human characters who ironically were more lifeless than the naval vessels; the exploration of the mental models heading towards free will started AFTER they had all decided to become anime moe character tropes rather than be a realistic impression of a computer struggling with identity; combat was less about real naval tactics and related far too much to how each piece of technobabble phlebotinum worked to give Gunzo the edge; and finally the only thing that was resolved is that the mental models can break from the Admirality Code due to feels.

It 's a 3 at best, and I actually liked the CG cell shading effect, so I'm not knocking it for that.

The show is sci fi, of course its not going to be realistic with the naval tactics.  As for the characters, yeah nothing special but still more entertaining than most.  At least they never grated on me like a lot of Moe Moe casts dol

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
The show is sci fi, of course its not going to be realistic with the naval tactics.

There's a difference between not being "realistic" and absurdly misplaced.  To expound, why was Iona a sub in the first place if everybody can FIND HER WHENEVER THEY WANT TO.  The point behind submarines in real naval situations is that they're sneaky and hard to detect so they can either spy on the enemy or unleash a surprise attack.  Rarely did they engage in any kind of silent running to avoid engagement or ambushing, and more often than not, Iona was capable of out-slugging the bigger surface vessels.

Worse, they made it appear that the surface ships could ****ing dive underwater, which made Iona's singular supposed strength even more moot.  Combined with copious amounts of beam-spam and an endless supply of missiles to barrage, and having any of the characters be a submarine was just idiotic and pointless.

As for the characters, yeah nothing special but still more entertaining than most.  At least they never grated on me like a lot of Moe Moe casts do

Should get your head checked, then.  Hyuga alone was so head bashingly obnoxious I almost dropped the show.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline KS

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 08:46:31 PM »
The show is sci fi, of course its not going to be realistic with the naval tactics.

There's a difference between not being "realistic" and absurdly misplaced.  To expound, why was Iona a sub in the first place if everybody can FIND HER WHENEVER THEY WANT TO.  The point behind submarines in real naval situations is that they're sneaky and hard to detect so they can either spy on the enemy or unleash a surprise attack.  Rarely did they engage in any kind of silent running to avoid engagement or ambushing, and more often than not, Iona was capable of out-slugging the bigger surface vessels.

Errr they demonstrated multiple times that as long as she was out of the other ships radar range that she couldn't be spotted.  I think you might be thinking of the scene where they couldn't figure out how they kept getting found and it turned out there was another ship hidden within the ship they were fighting's sonar signature that was piggy backing on and boosting it's range beyond it's normal capabilities.  That was kind of an unexpected twist that I really don't see the problem with.  Other times diving was shown to mask Iona's location for the most part.  Fail to see the issue here.  As for Iona's power scaling, as she gained more allies that plugged into the ship they'd use their skills and traits to allow her to engage those tougher opponents.

Worse, they made it appear that the surface ships could ****ing dive underwater, which made Iona's singular supposed strength even more moot.  Combined with copious amounts of beam-spam and an endless supply of missiles to barrage, and having any of the characters be a submarine was just idiotic and pointless.

Well yeah but you'll notice that immediately after Takao tried to do this she was convinced to resurface cause she'd get her ass kicked by actual submarines equipped for underwater combat.  There are mobile suits in Gundam that can fight in space even though they aren't designed for it, but this mostly amounts to them just kind of flailing around in one spot and being an easy target.  Refer to Gundam 0083 episode 5 for this, it's highly amusing to watch play out.

Complaining about beam-spam in a show that is about sci-fi battleships with soft science weaponry seems kind of pointless.  It's like complaining about slice of life shows having moeblob characters with little to no development or realism to them, it's kind of just like, well what did you expect?  Also why is having a mental model being a submarine idiotic and pointless?  Submarines are ships too so it would stand to reason they'd be a part of the Fleet of Fog as well as the usual complement of Destroyers, Cruisers and Battleships.  That gripe really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Should get your head checked, then.  Hyuga alone was so head bashingly obnoxious I almost dropped the show.

Hyuga was my least favorite character as well, can't argue much with that, her whole thing with Iona was of the shit that only otaku probably find amusing variety.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:05:17 PM by KS »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up