Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 05:27:06 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova  (Read 7271 times)

Offline SQA

Re: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »
7:

Once you get past the CGI, it's a pretty straight forward series, but there's still something absolutely hilarious about AIs that are gaining true sentience first running through TvTropes. 

Also, Takao in that bikini was really hot.  At least they did that well.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »
7:

Once you get past the CGI, it's a pretty straight forward series, but there's still something absolutely hilarious about AIs that are gaining true sentience first running through TvTropes.

This.  ****ing Jesus Goddamn Christ, THIS.

Look, when I was asking for a bit more character exploration, that didn't mean I wanted them to go straight into cliche' land.

UGH!
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:21 PM »
I did love Takao going all Love Lab on us.  That was GREAT.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 11:57:40 PM »
Yeah, because I came into this show expecting to watch Love Lab instead of.... whatever the hell this is supposed to be.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 10:40:42 PM »
8:

Why does Haruna's "shakkin!" make me laugh every time.  I think it's the look on her face.

Anyway, someone finally revealed to me that this anime isn't following the source material at all.  Apparently, there isn't enough of it to work with, and the production of the anime actually started BEFORE the manga.  As a result, I don't know which is the real canon and which isn't, but at this point it doesn't really matter.  The show as it is has no focused direction at all.  I can't tell if this is supposed to explore the concept of AIs developing intelligence and human emotions or if that's just an excuse to have moe trope fetish fuel.  Because it sure seems like some of these weapons of war were wonked even before they came into contact with humanity.

BTW, Haruna drops a mega bomb, pointing out that the only reason all the ships mental models are female is because navies refer to their ships as "her", using terms for females when referring to boats.  Okay, what bout the Russian fleets?  Russians refer to their boats in masculine terms.  This oughta be entertaining.

Offline KS

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
8 + 9:

This has unexpectedly turned into a solid guilty pleasure of the season.  That was a pretty fun back to back and the mental models continue to look gorgeous and deadly in combat.  Thinking of raising this up to a really weak 7/10 (more like a 6.5/10) for now.

Anyway, someone finally revealed to me that this anime isn't following the source material at all.  Apparently, there isn't enough of it to work with, and the production of the anime actually started BEFORE the manga.  As a result, I don't know which is the real canon and which isn't, but at this point it doesn't really matter.  The show as it is has no focused direction at all.  I can't tell if this is supposed to explore the concept of AIs developing intelligence and human emotions or if that's just an excuse to have moe trope fetish fuel.  Because it sure seems like some of these weapons of war were wonked even before they came into contact with humanity.

Humanity has come up with a weapon that can counter the Fleet of Fog and has been trying to get it to North America so that it can be mass produced.  The Fleet of Fog has a directive known as the Admirality code which has ordered them to blockade humanity and stop commerce but for what reason is unknown since the mental models consider that irrelevant and only following the order matters which is consistent with military logic.  Iona seems to have the ability to operate outside of this directive and the other ships that have come into contact with her and been defeated by Gunzou and her have decided to hang around out of curiosity and are since becoming more vaguely human in the sense of what anime tropes consider to be human like. 

It's hardly Pulitzer winning stuff, but I'd hardly say it lacks direction at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:31:07 PM by KS »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »
Difference between "plot" and "direction".  Meh, whatever.

9:

Only comment on this episode is that someone apparently wanted to abuse the 3d models for a lot of curvy fanservice.  Lots of ass shots and a few bounces and jiggles.  Hey, I'm fine with that, but it is a bit late in the game to start showing off the motion algorithms boys.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
10:

If only the preceding episodes had been good enough to get me emotionally invested in the characters, this would have been a really good episode, if not that slightly hammy stuff with Takao sacrificing herself then the whole shit about Kongou being rejected because she apparently no longer follows the code. I mean it's a fairly obvious route in a sense, having the person who's obsessed with following the law being persecuted by the law in some ironic twist, but they did it pretty well, albeit they could have done it over two episodes.

Additionally, I did have to slyly smile at how Maya was just some stupid chat bot. I mean, that lampshades how shallow she was as a character, if that was indeed intentional, but it's just such a beautiful dick move by the two submarines.

Offline SQA

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
10:

If only the preceding episodes had been good enough to get me emotionally invested in the characters, this would have been a really good episode, if not that slightly hammy stuff with Takao sacrificing herself then the whole shit about Kongou being rejected because she apparently no longer follows the code. I mean it's a fairly obvious route in a sense, having the person who's obsessed with following the law being persecuted by the law in some ironic twist, but they did it pretty well, albeit they could have done it over two episodes.

Additionally, I did have to slyly smile at how Maya was just some stupid chat bot. I mean, that lampshades how shallow she was as a character, if that was indeed intentional, but it's just such a beautiful dick move by the two submarines.

Kongou as Robespierre or Javert?   It actually worked pretty well, I thought.  The fake Maya bit also worked very, very well.   Eps 2 to 5 were a little wonky, which hurt the series overall, but I think it's recovered decently.  It's been an enjoyable watch.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »
10:

Holy melodrama, Batman.  Not sure I want to even bother wrapping my head around that bullcrap.

They didn't do a very good job of demonstrating any kind of time elapsing, so for as far as anybody knows, Iona goes down, hits rock bottom, the submarine gets down to around 6 degrees Celsius (about the time that you can see your breath in dry air), hypothermia starts to set in, the oxygen in the boat runs low/out, and Gunzo "dies" in about 10 minutes.

Of course, there's far too many silly things to point out regarding all of this, most of which can be negated by simply saying "they're magical super science battleships from space, so **** your science".  I don't care for that kind of handwaving, tho, so this all just looks like convenient fudging of facts to create a more tense situation.  Frankly, considering Gunzo's injuries, hypothermia would be the least of their problems.  Shock would set in first, and it looked like he had lost quite a bit of blood, so that would be a bigger worry.  What gets even more stupid is that Gunzo ceases respiration for quite a few moments while Iona starts to get emotional, and somehow, after another god knows how many minutes pass before Takao gets there, Iona has not only managed to resuscitate Gunzo, but managed to convert all her remaining nanomaterials / power into some kind of super life pod to keep him from dying again.  Never do they bother to show us what miracle Iona pulled off to bring him back, but all things considered, it is probably best they didn't or I'd have something else to bitch about.

Anyway, Takao and the other mental models appear to be completely not effected by serious pressures at high depths (not to mention Hyuga's pod thingy, despite parts of Iona's sub already achieving crush depth), and her solution is to give up her nanomaterials to revive Iona instead of... I don't know... carrying them back to the surface somehow.  Because the only solution she could come up with is suicide due to depression over not ever being able to be Gunzo's ship.  Self-sacrifice my ass.

Anyway, overall ridiculous episode using far too many cliche'd situations to create unnecessary drama.  The only part that was good was the two submarines being manipulative little twats.  I think we're seeing the clear cut difference between mental models that have absorbed too much information and those that haven't.  I still wanted to see a gradual progression to consciousness and the formation of morals and ethics, but whatever.  Not enough episodes for that kind of thing, I guess.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »
11:

"They say the sea is cold, but the sea holds the hottest blood of all..." - D.H. Lawrence

Yeah, Iona's sisters.  BOOM!

Offline SQA

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
12:

Well, that was a "big" finale.  It's nice to see the CGI finally truly pay off.  (Some of the pans & flying debris in the close-combat fight scene just aren't doable in hand animation for a TV show)

All told, I think it's a 6 of 10, if you can get used to the CGI.   Though it's probably close to a 5.  I quite enjoyed the series, but I can see plenty of reasons others wouldn't.  I'm a sucker for the "Data becoming Human" storyline, and it was actually handled decently.   Wish a lot of the other bits were more tightly written, but it was okay.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »
I'd say that series was a 5/10. I say this independent of the CGI because frankly I never thought it was an issue. It was enjoyable at times, it had some likable characters and some entertaining fight scenes, but it was a bit stupid.

I don't think I really need to explain why I'd give it a 5, because I feel like it gave the same vibe to most people/

Offline KS

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »
This show was not half bad, definitely the only bishoujo/military anime worth keeping this season and light years ahead of Infinite Stratos 2 and the like in that regard.  I like how it actually tries to strike a balance between having combat within the domain it claims to fall under (namely ship to ship combat) and going, "here have some fanservice" unlike a lot of these like say....Infinite Stratos.  Chihaya was also a convincing and capable male lead who would keep his cool under pressure and actually filled the role expected of a main character.  In end the mental models all had their own quirky charms and I liked most of the designs both for the ships and the models.  This is all in spite of the all CGI nature of the show which by the end honestly didn't bother me too much even though on occasion would have characters looking like they were stumbling and jerking around like one of those Ray Harryhausen stop motion flicks.  A 6/10 seems fair here and I kind of hope there's a sequel.

Anyway some final comments on the last 3 eps

10:  I think Kongou just got punk'd hard at the end.  Her main subordinate turns out just to be a the moeblob equivalent of a yes man and the rest of the episode is spent having Iona understand the concept of human mortality.  It works well enough though I sort of lost it at the point where the English vocal track starts up.  Hyperthermia can set in within minutes and in spite of looking like he wanted to give up he sure as hell seemed like he was doing his best to hang in there in reality.  In any case supposedly our heroes just lost Takao and have to do another 2 vs 1 fight so looks like it's back to the explodey version of the show.

11:  Okay the spinning gravity cannon was a pretty slick maneuver for a guy that just about died to come up with.  Makes enough sense when you think about it though where exactly did all of those fog ships come from in the first place and when did they find the time to recharge the ships energy or was that part of the whole transfer from Takao.  The strategy gamer in me was contemplating how many stat buffs the 401 must have with 5 mental models now synced to it and realizing that it was actually 5 vs 2 so far more even odds than I thought.  Kongou basically hulking out and merging with Maya (seems like a fitting name for a moeblob model) should produce an interesting if over the top boss fight for the finale.

12:  Yeah unsurprisingly Kongou just Ideon guns the American ships cause "MUH FINAL BATTLE!  I MUST SINK 401 *grumble grumble*"  This turned out to be more like one of those survive x number of turns/minutes against an overpowered boss unit kind of fights in terms of strategy gaming and then Iona got to do a little Cyborg 009 impression.  Of course everything is ultimately resolved by talking cause this is just one of those kinds of shows and no bishoujo character is ever allowed to be truly evil or have to die in anime anymore, but I appreciate that there was at least a lot of smashing, crashing, bashing, exploding and shouting at random before that point.  With the arrival at You Ass Navy Port Controwell I guess that's the sequel bait.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:25:42 AM by KS »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
Chiming in:

Show was boring, simple as that.  We were given a half dozen human characters who ironically were more lifeless than the naval vessels; the exploration of the mental models heading towards free will started AFTER they had all decided to become anime moe character tropes rather than be a realistic impression of a computer struggling with identity; combat was less about real naval tactics and related far too much to how each piece of technobabble phlebotinum worked to give Gunzo the edge; and finally the only thing that was resolved is that the mental models can break from the Admirality Code due to feels.

It 's a 3 at best, and I actually liked the CG cell shading effect, so I'm not knocking it for that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up