Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 08:28:04 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova  (Read 7098 times)

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
2:

When I saw that the show quoted Tolstoy in it's ED, I was genuinely pissed. I get it show; moe battleships have existentialist worries too, and I'd even appreciate that if the rest of the show wasn't such a total arse nova. It's ridiculous that even though the show is trying to add depth, it all just comes off as especially lame.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »

This show is the very definition of generic.  Take the concept of cute girls and WW2 era subs and make the most average anime possible, and it will be this show.  Even Infinite Stratos is better than this.   

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »
3:

And here goes the first casualty of the Fall 2013 season. Dropped...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 08:50:55 PM »
This show is the very definition of generic.  Take the concept of cute girls and WW2 era subs and make the most average anime possible, and it will be this show.  Even Infinite Stratos is better than this.   

And yet, current pre-order tracking put right around IS levels of popularity.

I just will never understand the Elevens.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »
3:

I'll keep watching this for the CGI actually. It is wholly generic story wise but I like seeing how far the CGI will go.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »
3:

This isn't average; the direction is just godawful. I haven't read the manga, but I'm getting a real sense of how a decent world is being ruined by awful exposition, awful characterisation(and visuals), and an awfully cynical approach to everything. There has to be an action scene every episode because f*** why. Everyone knows action is more exciting when we couldn't give half a damn about Team Chihaya and their goals are (to me) as ambiguous and inconsequential as can be. The only parts of the show which have even the slightest amount of love put in them are the OP and ED, which is just plain bad.

Who directs this anyway? Seiji Kish-Ah. Well that explains a lot.

P.S. The CG is a lot more tolerable on a smaller monitor for some reason. By small I mean around 15 inches.

Edit: The pre-battle music with it's ghostly chanting is actually really good, and it reminds me a bit of Halo, which, once again, just adds to the disappointment.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:04:09 PM by Pebble »

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »

The show would look a lot better if they kept the characters static with only their lips flapping.  The clothes waving in the wind and the awkward motions the characters make screams "this is crap CGI."     

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »
4:

Guys... guys... GUYS!  We could use a little character exposition here!  Whenever you're ready.  The naval battle tactic bullshit is cute and all, but I care nothing about anybody.  I actually felt sorry that you killed two moe battleships and thought the entire hero cast were bastards for doing it.  That shouldn't happen.

Guys?

Offline KS

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 12:32:18 PM »
Yeah I actually totally agree with the group on this one.  At this rate while requiring quite a bit of suspension of disbelief the ship battles and the honestly genuine tension therein as Chihaya try to use stealth and other tricks to overcome the superior fog ships are the only thing that really make this show worth while so far.  You'd think they could use the fancy tea room for some deeper exploration of the Fog AIs but so far it's just been, "Humans......BOOOOOO!", and "Do we rock, hell yeah we rock, screw humans *sips tea*!" and that's really about it, though I guess it's somewhat justifiable in that they are literally just simulation programs whose overriding directive is sink all non-aligned ships.  What I don't get though is that other than Chihaya the other members of the Iona crew are pretty much just names and positions being filled at this point.  For that I'm not sure there's any excuse.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:37:26 PM by KS »

Offline SQA

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
5:

So... moe battleship SoL comedy bits are actually insanely funny.  That I was not expecting.  Seriously, I was rolling at some of the stuff in the mansion.

Oh, and Takao getting headshotted by a rocket was also quite funny.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
5:

Yeh, that was pretty funny, the moment with the bear eating the carrot had me laughing heartily.

I think this show should focus a bit more on the characters before advancing the plot, because frankly it can do the character expositioning rather well, and it would help me care about the events more.

Offline KS

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »
5:  **** no wonder the shows Blu-Ray sales spiked after this episode.  What a weird out of place yet kind of not really episode about Haruna the mental model learning human culture by hanging out with that dying (?) genius test tube baby loli ojou-sama (holy crap that's a lot of tropes for one character) from the mansion a couple episodes ago.  Of course this involves playing dress up in various cutesy fanservice outfits, and spending much of the rest of the episode in lingerie (3D CGI fanservice....what an era we live eh) and banter about fate, mortality, food and stuff, but progress is progress I suppose even if it feels kind of...well you know.  It accomplished a hell of a lot more than say Kyoukai no Kanata 6 when it came to progressing events in spite of being largely a comedic fanservice episode and it also actually succeeded in making me laugh unironically at times (then again that's the value of understanding the basic concept of comedic timing and mixing up your gags instead of having it all just be bad otaku fetish humor), but at the same time is this even still the same ruthless we saw almost destroying the main crews ship last episode?  I don't know, this episode has me very conflicted.  It doesn't help that you have some weird dying dude basically going, "I designed this girl to design a weapon to kill your people, but please be friends with her" and the mental model just apparently being okay with this.

6:  While there's nothing technically wrong with this episode I have to wonder, why does it always have to be the sweet harmless little girl trying to be offed by the big bad evil adults that brings about these changes of heart in the baddies?  Can it never just be like an average guy or something?  Why does it always have to be the attractive female whatever that ends up switching sides 99.9% of the time?  Are young female characters just never allowed to remain a menace?  I mean twintails claims to have personally killed hundreds of people, but of course now that it's a little girl all bets are off. 

Are adults always sleazeballs as Saki Rukino would put it and have to resort to such extreme measures like murdering children over military secrets in order to make the attractive female enemies look like good guys by comparison when they help rescue her in spite of circumstances?  I mean it was really kind of predictable from the moment they made the mental models all bishoujo designs that they were going to have this evolution in their character though admittedly I didn't even see it being this by the book.  Then again maybe I should have when they introduced the lonely girl in the mansion 3 episodes ago....I mean what else are they going to use a character like that for right.  :-\

Meh....this is like one of those 6/10 pure average episodes for me, but again it keeps things moving which is more than I can say of some shows this season.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:41:30 PM by KS »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »
To be fair KS, in this case it would have to be a young child, since any adult would be too wary of them since they were the fog. Something along those lines anyway. Additionally young children elicit greater sympathy from us than adults. I'm really not proud of this, I mean really not, but despite myself I still find myself caring more about the deaths of female characters than male ones, it's a deep rooted response in most of the demographic of the watchers of anime, and thus young girls are the way forward to garner sympathy.

You are right though, this is a totally generic show at heart, but so long as it executes everything well enough it'll be fine.

Offline KS

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
To be fair KS, in this case it would have to be a young child, since any adult would be too wary of them since they were the fog. Something along those lines anyway. Additionally young children elicit greater sympathy from us than adults. I'm really not proud of this, I mean really not, but despite myself I still find myself caring more about the deaths of female characters than male ones, it's a deep rooted response in most of the demographic of the watchers of anime, and thus young girls are the way forward to garner sympathy.

You are right though, this is a totally generic show at heart, but so long as it executes everything well enough it'll be fine.

I'm weird so the thing that tends to get the most sympathy out of me is characters that go out in a heroic blaze of glory doing whatever it is they do.  It can be male or female, but yeah that's the one that always gets me.  Anyway though yeah obviously that's not going to work for everyone so you gotta do what you gotta do at the end of the day.  It's not like the execution was poor as I said, just predictable.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »
Yeah, you two are arguing that gender roles are still important to people in society.  There are always going to be perception differences in the sexes because there are biological and evolutionary aspects to those differences in the sexes.  You're animals, deal with it.

6:

That being said, these Fog folks don't HAVE these biological and evolutionary aspects, so their entire understanding of everything human is gleaned from their observations and data absorption.  To Haruna, it isn't important that Makie is a little girl.  In her studies of human feelings (regret, etc), she has developed her own sense of desire to avoid a negative outcome.  In this case, the negative outcome would be the death of Makie.  She still hasn't quite reconciled the reasons that the negative outcome should be avoided, so she only has half the puzzle solved.  it is still overwhelming her.

My problem with this show, now, might be that we haven't seen these gradual changes in the Fog vessels from their time on earth, going from mindless killing machine AIs to confused beings achieving sentience and developing consciousness.  That might be more fascinating to see than the rest of this crap.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up