Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 09:57:44 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova  (Read 7115 times)

Offline MCAL

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
1:
The good news: The CG wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
The bad news: It still needs some work. Especially in the facial department.

I liked how they started with a battle to draw in my attention and then used a flashback to explain some things. My major gripe with the episode was with the crew. I wasn't asking for their entire back story, but their names would have been nice. I don't think I heard them at all.

EDIT: Basically my complaint for Nagi no Asukara can be applied here. Interesting setting, but characters will need some work.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:45:10 PM by MCAL »

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

For a full CGI series, the show actually looks like a proper anime, but the motions feel jerky and badly need hand drawn in-between animation.   

As for the actual contents of the show, it's an interesting set up kind of like a WW2 era Outlaw Star with cool action sequences; however, the characters don't seem all that charming, and it seems that the show will rely on the cute girls being cute thing quite a bit.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline SQA

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 03:23:17 AM »
Well, I liked ep 1.  The CG has come a long ways.  Not perfect, but it also didn't cause me problems.  For a non-movie, this was supremely well done.

As for the story, a little more crew background would help, but the world setting is quite well established, we have most of the players and the nature of the conflict.  All told, they got most of the exposition out of the way and it felt proper.  I also liked the chiding of the guards to stop that, as Iona would slaughter them if they attacked Gunzou.  I like some logic in my character interactions.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »
1:

This was surprisingly bad, even for a Seiji Kishi anime. Moe battleships is a neat concept, but these characters are awfully one-dimensional and uninteresting. Gunzou's motivations aren't really clear at all, as he's just some angsty teenager who simply wants to pilot his moe battleship so that he can "have the strength to break the stagnant status quo." What is that even supposed to mean? He's an officer-in-training in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo, so it's not too apparent what a "status-quo" really implies. And then there's the the dialogue, which was awkward and rife with the obvious "Hey remember that time when weó?!" kind bad writing used to give us exposition.

The CG wasn't too bad, and bad art usually doesn't bother me too much in an anime anyways, but it really isn't helping to make the characters seem any less robotic and unnatural.

It all made more sense though after I found out that this is an anime original episode, since apparently the beginning of the manga doesn't explain the setting all that well. The problem with Seiji Kishi is that he's a bad director, but his shows often manage to be good by virtue of being faithful to stellar source material. Which is why we get something supbar like this when he's not adapting anything.

But because this an anime original episode, I'll give Arpeggio the benefit of the doubt and assume that it'll get better as soon as it starts adapting the manga.

Offline SQA

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:07:28 AM »
I believe this was actually sourced from a short light novel/prequel, which was somewhat necessary as the manga starts right in on the action and you're apparently confused as hell for the first few chapters.

Offline Thot

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:48:56 AM »
I guess that explains why I had this nagging feeling of "uh, somehow I remember the manga as being a lot better than this".

Offline SQA

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:20 AM »
Apparently the Manga starts right where this episode ends, so this was necessary backfill.

Offline KS

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 10:31:46 AM »
1:

Better premier than I expected.  Everyone moving at a fraction of the framerate of your average anime on account of the CGI may take some getting used to as will the main dude looking like and having a girls name, but I always appreciate it when a first episode cuts the bloody point on exposition and I don't have to deal with unfunny comedic antics right at the start of the show.  So yeah the premise is obviously contrived to get bishoujo character designs into a military anime again only this time they're AI's and all but one currently seems to want to annihilate humanity.  There's obviously some intrigue in finding out where the **** they came from and what their goal is, but at 12 episodes it's debatable whether the show ever gets to answering the obvious questions.  What little combat we saw in the opening episode was solid ship to ship stuff, but there is one pressing matter I wish the show would address which is how exactly what looks like 4-5 battleships, even with pimped out alien technology or whatever could blockade the whole planet.  I just don't get what's keeping the usual airway from being open as usual unless the Fog Fleet has some sort of super AA weapons that cover the skies to.  Though even still it's not like these ships can be everywhere so it doesn't make a whole lot of tactical sense for the world to be considered under full blockade and isolated.

Anyway one of the AI's personalities already seems annoying (the one playing the piano for some reason) so hopefully if I continue with this I get to see that ship sunk ASAP.  Oh yeah it would be nice if the show cut down a little on the obvious sexually charged metaphors of having Sgt. Chihaya ride, captain and utilize Iona and her repeating over and over again how her only memory is that she's there to serve him.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
1:

The exposition is incredibly lazy, and I get the feeling that if I had looked closer, I'd be able to spot holes in the story even though there wasn't even enough material for holes to manifest. Still. I'm not leaving this premiere convinced about the show's writing quality. Action ranges from neat to cool, though, which at least renders this watchable.

there is one pressing matter I wish the show would address which is how exactly what looks like 4-5 battleships, even with pimped out alien technology or whatever could blockade the whole planet.  I just don't get what's keeping the usual airway from being open as usual unless the Fog Fleet has some sort of super AA weapons that cover the skies too.
They never mentioned how many ships there were in total, so I think it's safe to assume that there are a lot of them (for now at least). Also, they seem to have sea-to-space weaponry which they use to kill satellites, so it seems like a safe assumption that they have some seriously OP AA too.

As for the character CG... well... I've recently seen worse. I'm not complaining yet. Not until the memory wears off, which is going to take a lot more wall-headbutting than I've currently invested.
(You don't need to know what's going on to know it's awful.)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »
1:

A full CGI series. Nothing new, but the jerky CGI motion renders the show lifeless for me. Heck, I feel like I'm watching a show made up of puppets, not characters. And the story? Nothing particularly interesting. Cute moe girls being embodiments of warships ŗ la Strike Witches or something.

I just can't feel anything from this show, and thus I find it very boring. I will have to drop this show.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »

My battleship can't be this moe.

But no seriously, this is a very generic show.  Cute girls aren't enough to make a compelling narrative.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »
2:
Now that was better... Probably because it started following the manga this time... Still needs work though. At least it bothered to give all the characters names this time...

Also, I was thinking battleship harem last episode. I didn't realize how right that would be...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:37:51 PM by MCAL »

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »
2:

If my father were watching this, he'd be howling with laughter.  He was a navy man for 23 years.

Yeah, I know, moe girls controlling super weapon battleships and there's all kinds of magical technology that means you don't have to explain shit such as why the laws of physics don't apply.  Still, what's the point of making them look like pedestrian WW2 era vehicles if they're just superweapons in disguise?
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
2:

If my father were watching this, he'd be howling with laughter.  He was a navy man for 23 years.

Yeah, I know, moe girls controlling super weapon battleships and there's all kinds of magical technology that means you don't have to explain shit such as why the laws of physics don't apply.  Still, what's the point of making them look like pedestrian WW2 era vehicles if they're just superweapons in disguise?

Because blowing **** up only looks cool when you do it with battleships.  Over Visual Range missiles just don't seem as interesting (even if it's a more effective way to fight a war). 

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
I'm also trying to figure out how we got to Super Gravity Cannons without having just regular old garden variety Gravity Cannons.  They're making quantum leaps within episodes!

Offline Pebble

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
2:

When I saw that the show quoted Tolstoy in it's ED, I was genuinely pissed. I get it show; moe battleships have existentialist worries too, and I'd even appreciate that if the rest of the show wasn't such a total arse nova. It's ridiculous that even though the show is trying to add depth, it all just comes off as especially lame.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »

This show is the very definition of generic.  Take the concept of cute girls and WW2 era subs and make the most average anime possible, and it will be this show.  Even Infinite Stratos is better than this.   

Offline MCAL

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »
3:

And here goes the first casualty of the Fall 2013 season. Dropped...

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 08:50:55 PM »
This show is the very definition of generic.  Take the concept of cute girls and WW2 era subs and make the most average anime possible, and it will be this show.  Even Infinite Stratos is better than this.   

And yet, current pre-order tracking put right around IS levels of popularity.

I just will never understand the Elevens.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »
3:

I'll keep watching this for the CGI actually. It is wholly generic story wise but I like seeing how far the CGI will go.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »
3:

This isn't average; the direction is just godawful. I haven't read the manga, but I'm getting a real sense of how a decent world is being ruined by awful exposition, awful characterisation(and visuals), and an awfully cynical approach to everything. There has to be an action scene every episode because f*** why. Everyone knows action is more exciting when we couldn't give half a damn about Team Chihaya and their goals are (to me) as ambiguous and inconsequential as can be. The only parts of the show which have even the slightest amount of love put in them are the OP and ED, which is just plain bad.

Who directs this anyway? Seiji Kish-Ah. Well that explains a lot.

P.S. The CG is a lot more tolerable on a smaller monitor for some reason. By small I mean around 15 inches.

Edit: The pre-battle music with it's ghostly chanting is actually really good, and it reminds me a bit of Halo, which, once again, just adds to the disappointment.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:04:09 PM by Pebble »

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »

The show would look a lot better if they kept the characters static with only their lips flapping.  The clothes waving in the wind and the awkward motions the characters make screams "this is crap CGI."     

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »
4:

Guys... guys... GUYS!  We could use a little character exposition here!  Whenever you're ready.  The naval battle tactic bullshit is cute and all, but I care nothing about anybody.  I actually felt sorry that you killed two moe battleships and thought the entire hero cast were bastards for doing it.  That shouldn't happen.

Guys?

Offline KS

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 12:32:18 PM »
Yeah I actually totally agree with the group on this one.  At this rate while requiring quite a bit of suspension of disbelief the ship battles and the honestly genuine tension therein as Chihaya try to use stealth and other tricks to overcome the superior fog ships are the only thing that really make this show worth while so far.  You'd think they could use the fancy tea room for some deeper exploration of the Fog AIs but so far it's just been, "Humans......BOOOOOO!", and "Do we rock, hell yeah we rock, screw humans *sips tea*!" and that's really about it, though I guess it's somewhat justifiable in that they are literally just simulation programs whose overriding directive is sink all non-aligned ships.  What I don't get though is that other than Chihaya the other members of the Iona crew are pretty much just names and positions being filled at this point.  For that I'm not sure there's any excuse.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:37:26 PM by KS »

Offline SQA

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
5:

So... moe battleship SoL comedy bits are actually insanely funny.  That I was not expecting.  Seriously, I was rolling at some of the stuff in the mansion.

Oh, and Takao getting headshotted by a rocket was also quite funny.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
5:

Yeh, that was pretty funny, the moment with the bear eating the carrot had me laughing heartily.

I think this show should focus a bit more on the characters before advancing the plot, because frankly it can do the character expositioning rather well, and it would help me care about the events more.

Offline KS

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »
5:  **** no wonder the shows Blu-Ray sales spiked after this episode.  What a weird out of place yet kind of not really episode about Haruna the mental model learning human culture by hanging out with that dying (?) genius test tube baby loli ojou-sama (holy crap that's a lot of tropes for one character) from the mansion a couple episodes ago.  Of course this involves playing dress up in various cutesy fanservice outfits, and spending much of the rest of the episode in lingerie (3D CGI fanservice....what an era we live eh) and banter about fate, mortality, food and stuff, but progress is progress I suppose even if it feels kind of...well you know.  It accomplished a hell of a lot more than say Kyoukai no Kanata 6 when it came to progressing events in spite of being largely a comedic fanservice episode and it also actually succeeded in making me laugh unironically at times (then again that's the value of understanding the basic concept of comedic timing and mixing up your gags instead of having it all just be bad otaku fetish humor), but at the same time is this even still the same ruthless we saw almost destroying the main crews ship last episode?  I don't know, this episode has me very conflicted.  It doesn't help that you have some weird dying dude basically going, "I designed this girl to design a weapon to kill your people, but please be friends with her" and the mental model just apparently being okay with this.

6:  While there's nothing technically wrong with this episode I have to wonder, why does it always have to be the sweet harmless little girl trying to be offed by the big bad evil adults that brings about these changes of heart in the baddies?  Can it never just be like an average guy or something?  Why does it always have to be the attractive female whatever that ends up switching sides 99.9% of the time?  Are young female characters just never allowed to remain a menace?  I mean twintails claims to have personally killed hundreds of people, but of course now that it's a little girl all bets are off. 

Are adults always sleazeballs as Saki Rukino would put it and have to resort to such extreme measures like murdering children over military secrets in order to make the attractive female enemies look like good guys by comparison when they help rescue her in spite of circumstances?  I mean it was really kind of predictable from the moment they made the mental models all bishoujo designs that they were going to have this evolution in their character though admittedly I didn't even see it being this by the book.  Then again maybe I should have when they introduced the lonely girl in the mansion 3 episodes ago....I mean what else are they going to use a character like that for right.  :-\

Meh....this is like one of those 6/10 pure average episodes for me, but again it keeps things moving which is more than I can say of some shows this season.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:41:30 PM by KS »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »
To be fair KS, in this case it would have to be a young child, since any adult would be too wary of them since they were the fog. Something along those lines anyway. Additionally young children elicit greater sympathy from us than adults. I'm really not proud of this, I mean really not, but despite myself I still find myself caring more about the deaths of female characters than male ones, it's a deep rooted response in most of the demographic of the watchers of anime, and thus young girls are the way forward to garner sympathy.

You are right though, this is a totally generic show at heart, but so long as it executes everything well enough it'll be fine.

Offline KS

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
To be fair KS, in this case it would have to be a young child, since any adult would be too wary of them since they were the fog. Something along those lines anyway. Additionally young children elicit greater sympathy from us than adults. I'm really not proud of this, I mean really not, but despite myself I still find myself caring more about the deaths of female characters than male ones, it's a deep rooted response in most of the demographic of the watchers of anime, and thus young girls are the way forward to garner sympathy.

You are right though, this is a totally generic show at heart, but so long as it executes everything well enough it'll be fine.

I'm weird so the thing that tends to get the most sympathy out of me is characters that go out in a heroic blaze of glory doing whatever it is they do.  It can be male or female, but yeah that's the one that always gets me.  Anyway though yeah obviously that's not going to work for everyone so you gotta do what you gotta do at the end of the day.  It's not like the execution was poor as I said, just predictable.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »
Yeah, you two are arguing that gender roles are still important to people in society.  There are always going to be perception differences in the sexes because there are biological and evolutionary aspects to those differences in the sexes.  You're animals, deal with it.

6:

That being said, these Fog folks don't HAVE these biological and evolutionary aspects, so their entire understanding of everything human is gleaned from their observations and data absorption.  To Haruna, it isn't important that Makie is a little girl.  In her studies of human feelings (regret, etc), she has developed her own sense of desire to avoid a negative outcome.  In this case, the negative outcome would be the death of Makie.  She still hasn't quite reconciled the reasons that the negative outcome should be avoided, so she only has half the puzzle solved.  it is still overwhelming her.

My problem with this show, now, might be that we haven't seen these gradual changes in the Fog vessels from their time on earth, going from mindless killing machine AIs to confused beings achieving sentience and developing consciousness.  That might be more fascinating to see than the rest of this crap.

Offline SQA

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »
7:

Once you get past the CGI, it's a pretty straight forward series, but there's still something absolutely hilarious about AIs that are gaining true sentience first running through TvTropes. 

Also, Takao in that bikini was really hot.  At least they did that well.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »
7:

Once you get past the CGI, it's a pretty straight forward series, but there's still something absolutely hilarious about AIs that are gaining true sentience first running through TvTropes.

This.  ****ing Jesus Goddamn Christ, THIS.

Look, when I was asking for a bit more character exploration, that didn't mean I wanted them to go straight into cliche' land.

UGH!

Offline SQA

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:21 PM »
I did love Takao going all Love Lab on us.  That was GREAT.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 11:57:40 PM »
Yeah, because I came into this show expecting to watch Love Lab instead of.... whatever the hell this is supposed to be.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 10:40:42 PM »
8:

Why does Haruna's "shakkin!" make me laugh every time.  I think it's the look on her face.

Anyway, someone finally revealed to me that this anime isn't following the source material at all.  Apparently, there isn't enough of it to work with, and the production of the anime actually started BEFORE the manga.  As a result, I don't know which is the real canon and which isn't, but at this point it doesn't really matter.  The show as it is has no focused direction at all.  I can't tell if this is supposed to explore the concept of AIs developing intelligence and human emotions or if that's just an excuse to have moe trope fetish fuel.  Because it sure seems like some of these weapons of war were wonked even before they came into contact with humanity.

BTW, Haruna drops a mega bomb, pointing out that the only reason all the ships mental models are female is because navies refer to their ships as "her", using terms for females when referring to boats.  Okay, what bout the Russian fleets?  Russians refer to their boats in masculine terms.  This oughta be entertaining.

Offline KS

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
8 + 9:

This has unexpectedly turned into a solid guilty pleasure of the season.  That was a pretty fun back to back and the mental models continue to look gorgeous and deadly in combat.  Thinking of raising this up to a really weak 7/10 (more like a 6.5/10) for now.

Anyway, someone finally revealed to me that this anime isn't following the source material at all.  Apparently, there isn't enough of it to work with, and the production of the anime actually started BEFORE the manga.  As a result, I don't know which is the real canon and which isn't, but at this point it doesn't really matter.  The show as it is has no focused direction at all.  I can't tell if this is supposed to explore the concept of AIs developing intelligence and human emotions or if that's just an excuse to have moe trope fetish fuel.  Because it sure seems like some of these weapons of war were wonked even before they came into contact with humanity.

Humanity has come up with a weapon that can counter the Fleet of Fog and has been trying to get it to North America so that it can be mass produced.  The Fleet of Fog has a directive known as the Admirality code which has ordered them to blockade humanity and stop commerce but for what reason is unknown since the mental models consider that irrelevant and only following the order matters which is consistent with military logic.  Iona seems to have the ability to operate outside of this directive and the other ships that have come into contact with her and been defeated by Gunzou and her have decided to hang around out of curiosity and are since becoming more vaguely human in the sense of what anime tropes consider to be human like. 

It's hardly Pulitzer winning stuff, but I'd hardly say it lacks direction at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:31:07 PM by KS »

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »
Difference between "plot" and "direction".  Meh, whatever.

9:

Only comment on this episode is that someone apparently wanted to abuse the 3d models for a lot of curvy fanservice.  Lots of ass shots and a few bounces and jiggles.  Hey, I'm fine with that, but it is a bit late in the game to start showing off the motion algorithms boys.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
10:

If only the preceding episodes had been good enough to get me emotionally invested in the characters, this would have been a really good episode, if not that slightly hammy stuff with Takao sacrificing herself then the whole shit about Kongou being rejected because she apparently no longer follows the code. I mean it's a fairly obvious route in a sense, having the person who's obsessed with following the law being persecuted by the law in some ironic twist, but they did it pretty well, albeit they could have done it over two episodes.

Additionally, I did have to slyly smile at how Maya was just some stupid chat bot. I mean, that lampshades how shallow she was as a character, if that was indeed intentional, but it's just such a beautiful dick move by the two submarines.

Offline SQA

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
10:

If only the preceding episodes had been good enough to get me emotionally invested in the characters, this would have been a really good episode, if not that slightly hammy stuff with Takao sacrificing herself then the whole shit about Kongou being rejected because she apparently no longer follows the code. I mean it's a fairly obvious route in a sense, having the person who's obsessed with following the law being persecuted by the law in some ironic twist, but they did it pretty well, albeit they could have done it over two episodes.

Additionally, I did have to slyly smile at how Maya was just some stupid chat bot. I mean, that lampshades how shallow she was as a character, if that was indeed intentional, but it's just such a beautiful dick move by the two submarines.

Kongou as Robespierre or Javert?   It actually worked pretty well, I thought.  The fake Maya bit also worked very, very well.   Eps 2 to 5 were a little wonky, which hurt the series overall, but I think it's recovered decently.  It's been an enjoyable watch.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »
10:

Holy melodrama, Batman.  Not sure I want to even bother wrapping my head around that bullcrap.

They didn't do a very good job of demonstrating any kind of time elapsing, so for as far as anybody knows, Iona goes down, hits rock bottom, the submarine gets down to around 6 degrees Celsius (about the time that you can see your breath in dry air), hypothermia starts to set in, the oxygen in the boat runs low/out, and Gunzo "dies" in about 10 minutes.

Of course, there's far too many silly things to point out regarding all of this, most of which can be negated by simply saying "they're magical super science battleships from space, so **** your science".  I don't care for that kind of handwaving, tho, so this all just looks like convenient fudging of facts to create a more tense situation.  Frankly, considering Gunzo's injuries, hypothermia would be the least of their problems.  Shock would set in first, and it looked like he had lost quite a bit of blood, so that would be a bigger worry.  What gets even more stupid is that Gunzo ceases respiration for quite a few moments while Iona starts to get emotional, and somehow, after another god knows how many minutes pass before Takao gets there, Iona has not only managed to resuscitate Gunzo, but managed to convert all her remaining nanomaterials / power into some kind of super life pod to keep him from dying again.  Never do they bother to show us what miracle Iona pulled off to bring him back, but all things considered, it is probably best they didn't or I'd have something else to bitch about.

Anyway, Takao and the other mental models appear to be completely not effected by serious pressures at high depths (not to mention Hyuga's pod thingy, despite parts of Iona's sub already achieving crush depth), and her solution is to give up her nanomaterials to revive Iona instead of... I don't know... carrying them back to the surface somehow.  Because the only solution she could come up with is suicide due to depression over not ever being able to be Gunzo's ship.  Self-sacrifice my ass.

Anyway, overall ridiculous episode using far too many cliche'd situations to create unnecessary drama.  The only part that was good was the two submarines being manipulative little twats.  I think we're seeing the clear cut difference between mental models that have absorbed too much information and those that haven't.  I still wanted to see a gradual progression to consciousness and the formation of morals and ethics, but whatever.  Not enough episodes for that kind of thing, I guess.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »
11:

"They say the sea is cold, but the sea holds the hottest blood of all..." - D.H. Lawrence

Yeah, Iona's sisters.  BOOM!

Offline SQA

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
12:

Well, that was a "big" finale.  It's nice to see the CGI finally truly pay off.  (Some of the pans & flying debris in the close-combat fight scene just aren't doable in hand animation for a TV show)

All told, I think it's a 6 of 10, if you can get used to the CGI.   Though it's probably close to a 5.  I quite enjoyed the series, but I can see plenty of reasons others wouldn't.  I'm a sucker for the "Data becoming Human" storyline, and it was actually handled decently.   Wish a lot of the other bits were more tightly written, but it was okay.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »
I'd say that series was a 5/10. I say this independent of the CGI because frankly I never thought it was an issue. It was enjoyable at times, it had some likable characters and some entertaining fight scenes, but it was a bit stupid.

I don't think I really need to explain why I'd give it a 5, because I feel like it gave the same vibe to most people/

Offline KS

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »
This show was not half bad, definitely the only bishoujo/military anime worth keeping this season and light years ahead of Infinite Stratos 2 and the like in that regard.  I like how it actually tries to strike a balance between having combat within the domain it claims to fall under (namely ship to ship combat) and going, "here have some fanservice" unlike a lot of these like say....Infinite Stratos.  Chihaya was also a convincing and capable male lead who would keep his cool under pressure and actually filled the role expected of a main character.  In end the mental models all had their own quirky charms and I liked most of the designs both for the ships and the models.  This is all in spite of the all CGI nature of the show which by the end honestly didn't bother me too much even though on occasion would have characters looking like they were stumbling and jerking around like one of those Ray Harryhausen stop motion flicks.  A 6/10 seems fair here and I kind of hope there's a sequel.

Anyway some final comments on the last 3 eps

10:  I think Kongou just got punk'd hard at the end.  Her main subordinate turns out just to be a the moeblob equivalent of a yes man and the rest of the episode is spent having Iona understand the concept of human mortality.  It works well enough though I sort of lost it at the point where the English vocal track starts up.  Hyperthermia can set in within minutes and in spite of looking like he wanted to give up he sure as hell seemed like he was doing his best to hang in there in reality.  In any case supposedly our heroes just lost Takao and have to do another 2 vs 1 fight so looks like it's back to the explodey version of the show.

11:  Okay the spinning gravity cannon was a pretty slick maneuver for a guy that just about died to come up with.  Makes enough sense when you think about it though where exactly did all of those fog ships come from in the first place and when did they find the time to recharge the ships energy or was that part of the whole transfer from Takao.  The strategy gamer in me was contemplating how many stat buffs the 401 must have with 5 mental models now synced to it and realizing that it was actually 5 vs 2 so far more even odds than I thought.  Kongou basically hulking out and merging with Maya (seems like a fitting name for a moeblob model) should produce an interesting if over the top boss fight for the finale.

12:  Yeah unsurprisingly Kongou just Ideon guns the American ships cause "MUH FINAL BATTLE!  I MUST SINK 401 *grumble grumble*"  This turned out to be more like one of those survive x number of turns/minutes against an overpowered boss unit kind of fights in terms of strategy gaming and then Iona got to do a little Cyborg 009 impression.  Of course everything is ultimately resolved by talking cause this is just one of those kinds of shows and no bishoujo character is ever allowed to be truly evil or have to die in anime anymore, but I appreciate that there was at least a lot of smashing, crashing, bashing, exploding and shouting at random before that point.  With the arrival at You Ass Navy Port Controwell I guess that's the sequel bait.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:25:42 AM by KS »

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
Chiming in:

Show was boring, simple as that.  We were given a half dozen human characters who ironically were more lifeless than the naval vessels; the exploration of the mental models heading towards free will started AFTER they had all decided to become anime moe character tropes rather than be a realistic impression of a computer struggling with identity; combat was less about real naval tactics and related far too much to how each piece of technobabble phlebotinum worked to give Gunzo the edge; and finally the only thing that was resolved is that the mental models can break from the Admirality Code due to feels.

It 's a 3 at best, and I actually liked the CG cell shading effect, so I'm not knocking it for that.

Offline KS

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
Chiming in:

Show was boring, simple as that.  We were given a half dozen human characters who ironically were more lifeless than the naval vessels; the exploration of the mental models heading towards free will started AFTER they had all decided to become anime moe character tropes rather than be a realistic impression of a computer struggling with identity; combat was less about real naval tactics and related far too much to how each piece of technobabble phlebotinum worked to give Gunzo the edge; and finally the only thing that was resolved is that the mental models can break from the Admirality Code due to feels.

It 's a 3 at best, and I actually liked the CG cell shading effect, so I'm not knocking it for that.

The show is sci fi, of course its not going to be realistic with the naval tactics.  As for the characters, yeah nothing special but still more entertaining than most.  At least they never grated on me like a lot of Moe Moe casts dol

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
The show is sci fi, of course its not going to be realistic with the naval tactics.

There's a difference between not being "realistic" and absurdly misplaced.  To expound, why was Iona a sub in the first place if everybody can FIND HER WHENEVER THEY WANT TO.  The point behind submarines in real naval situations is that they're sneaky and hard to detect so they can either spy on the enemy or unleash a surprise attack.  Rarely did they engage in any kind of silent running to avoid engagement or ambushing, and more often than not, Iona was capable of out-slugging the bigger surface vessels.

Worse, they made it appear that the surface ships could ****ing dive underwater, which made Iona's singular supposed strength even more moot.  Combined with copious amounts of beam-spam and an endless supply of missiles to barrage, and having any of the characters be a submarine was just idiotic and pointless.

As for the characters, yeah nothing special but still more entertaining than most.  At least they never grated on me like a lot of Moe Moe casts do

Should get your head checked, then.  Hyuga alone was so head bashingly obnoxious I almost dropped the show.

Offline KS

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 08:46:31 PM »
The show is sci fi, of course its not going to be realistic with the naval tactics.

There's a difference between not being "realistic" and absurdly misplaced.  To expound, why was Iona a sub in the first place if everybody can FIND HER WHENEVER THEY WANT TO.  The point behind submarines in real naval situations is that they're sneaky and hard to detect so they can either spy on the enemy or unleash a surprise attack.  Rarely did they engage in any kind of silent running to avoid engagement or ambushing, and more often than not, Iona was capable of out-slugging the bigger surface vessels.

Errr they demonstrated multiple times that as long as she was out of the other ships radar range that she couldn't be spotted.  I think you might be thinking of the scene where they couldn't figure out how they kept getting found and it turned out there was another ship hidden within the ship they were fighting's sonar signature that was piggy backing on and boosting it's range beyond it's normal capabilities.  That was kind of an unexpected twist that I really don't see the problem with.  Other times diving was shown to mask Iona's location for the most part.  Fail to see the issue here.  As for Iona's power scaling, as she gained more allies that plugged into the ship they'd use their skills and traits to allow her to engage those tougher opponents.

Worse, they made it appear that the surface ships could ****ing dive underwater, which made Iona's singular supposed strength even more moot.  Combined with copious amounts of beam-spam and an endless supply of missiles to barrage, and having any of the characters be a submarine was just idiotic and pointless.

Well yeah but you'll notice that immediately after Takao tried to do this she was convinced to resurface cause she'd get her ass kicked by actual submarines equipped for underwater combat.  There are mobile suits in Gundam that can fight in space even though they aren't designed for it, but this mostly amounts to them just kind of flailing around in one spot and being an easy target.  Refer to Gundam 0083 episode 5 for this, it's highly amusing to watch play out.

Complaining about beam-spam in a show that is about sci-fi battleships with soft science weaponry seems kind of pointless.  It's like complaining about slice of life shows having moeblob characters with little to no development or realism to them, it's kind of just like, well what did you expect?  Also why is having a mental model being a submarine idiotic and pointless?  Submarines are ships too so it would stand to reason they'd be a part of the Fleet of Fog as well as the usual complement of Destroyers, Cruisers and Battleships.  That gripe really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Should get your head checked, then.  Hyuga alone was so head bashingly obnoxious I almost dropped the show.

Hyuga was my least favorite character as well, can't argue much with that, her whole thing with Iona was of the shit that only otaku probably find amusing variety.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:05:17 PM by KS »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up