Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 03:59:32 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova  (Read 7093 times)

Offline MCAL

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
1:
The good news: The CG wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
The bad news: It still needs some work. Especially in the facial department.

I liked how they started with a battle to draw in my attention and then used a flashback to explain some things. My major gripe with the episode was with the crew. I wasn't asking for their entire back story, but their names would have been nice. I don't think I heard them at all.

EDIT: Basically my complaint for Nagi no Asukara can be applied here. Interesting setting, but characters will need some work.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:45:10 PM by MCAL »

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

For a full CGI series, the show actually looks like a proper anime, but the motions feel jerky and badly need hand drawn in-between animation.   

As for the actual contents of the show, it's an interesting set up kind of like a WW2 era Outlaw Star with cool action sequences; however, the characters don't seem all that charming, and it seems that the show will rely on the cute girls being cute thing quite a bit.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline SQA

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 03:23:17 AM »
Well, I liked ep 1.  The CG has come a long ways.  Not perfect, but it also didn't cause me problems.  For a non-movie, this was supremely well done.

As for the story, a little more crew background would help, but the world setting is quite well established, we have most of the players and the nature of the conflict.  All told, they got most of the exposition out of the way and it felt proper.  I also liked the chiding of the guards to stop that, as Iona would slaughter them if they attacked Gunzou.  I like some logic in my character interactions.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »
1:

This was surprisingly bad, even for a Seiji Kishi anime. Moe battleships is a neat concept, but these characters are awfully one-dimensional and uninteresting. Gunzou's motivations aren't really clear at all, as he's just some angsty teenager who simply wants to pilot his moe battleship so that he can "have the strength to break the stagnant status quo." What is that even supposed to mean? He's an officer-in-training in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo, so it's not too apparent what a "status-quo" really implies. And then there's the the dialogue, which was awkward and rife with the obvious "Hey remember that time when we—?!" kind bad writing used to give us exposition.

The CG wasn't too bad, and bad art usually doesn't bother me too much in an anime anyways, but it really isn't helping to make the characters seem any less robotic and unnatural.

It all made more sense though after I found out that this is an anime original episode, since apparently the beginning of the manga doesn't explain the setting all that well. The problem with Seiji Kishi is that he's a bad director, but his shows often manage to be good by virtue of being faithful to stellar source material. Which is why we get something supbar like this when he's not adapting anything.

But because this an anime original episode, I'll give Arpeggio the benefit of the doubt and assume that it'll get better as soon as it starts adapting the manga.

Offline SQA

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:07:28 AM »
I believe this was actually sourced from a short light novel/prequel, which was somewhat necessary as the manga starts right in on the action and you're apparently confused as hell for the first few chapters.

Offline Thot

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:48:56 AM »
I guess that explains why I had this nagging feeling of "uh, somehow I remember the manga as being a lot better than this".

Offline SQA

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:20 AM »
Apparently the Manga starts right where this episode ends, so this was necessary backfill.

Offline KS

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 10:31:46 AM »
1:

Better premier than I expected.  Everyone moving at a fraction of the framerate of your average anime on account of the CGI may take some getting used to as will the main dude looking like and having a girls name, but I always appreciate it when a first episode cuts the bloody point on exposition and I don't have to deal with unfunny comedic antics right at the start of the show.  So yeah the premise is obviously contrived to get bishoujo character designs into a military anime again only this time they're AI's and all but one currently seems to want to annihilate humanity.  There's obviously some intrigue in finding out where the **** they came from and what their goal is, but at 12 episodes it's debatable whether the show ever gets to answering the obvious questions.  What little combat we saw in the opening episode was solid ship to ship stuff, but there is one pressing matter I wish the show would address which is how exactly what looks like 4-5 battleships, even with pimped out alien technology or whatever could blockade the whole planet.  I just don't get what's keeping the usual airway from being open as usual unless the Fog Fleet has some sort of super AA weapons that cover the skies to.  Though even still it's not like these ships can be everywhere so it doesn't make a whole lot of tactical sense for the world to be considered under full blockade and isolated.

Anyway one of the AI's personalities already seems annoying (the one playing the piano for some reason) so hopefully if I continue with this I get to see that ship sunk ASAP.  Oh yeah it would be nice if the show cut down a little on the obvious sexually charged metaphors of having Sgt. Chihaya ride, captain and utilize Iona and her repeating over and over again how her only memory is that she's there to serve him.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
1:

The exposition is incredibly lazy, and I get the feeling that if I had looked closer, I'd be able to spot holes in the story even though there wasn't even enough material for holes to manifest. Still. I'm not leaving this premiere convinced about the show's writing quality. Action ranges from neat to cool, though, which at least renders this watchable.

there is one pressing matter I wish the show would address which is how exactly what looks like 4-5 battleships, even with pimped out alien technology or whatever could blockade the whole planet.  I just don't get what's keeping the usual airway from being open as usual unless the Fog Fleet has some sort of super AA weapons that cover the skies too.
They never mentioned how many ships there were in total, so I think it's safe to assume that there are a lot of them (for now at least). Also, they seem to have sea-to-space weaponry which they use to kill satellites, so it seems like a safe assumption that they have some seriously OP AA too.

As for the character CG... well... I've recently seen worse. I'm not complaining yet. Not until the memory wears off, which is going to take a lot more wall-headbutting than I've currently invested.
(You don't need to know what's going on to know it's awful.)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »
1:

A full CGI series. Nothing new, but the jerky CGI motion renders the show lifeless for me. Heck, I feel like I'm watching a show made up of puppets, not characters. And the story? Nothing particularly interesting. Cute moe girls being embodiments of warships à la Strike Witches or something.

I just can't feel anything from this show, and thus I find it very boring. I will have to drop this show.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »

My battleship can't be this moe.

But no seriously, this is a very generic show.  Cute girls aren't enough to make a compelling narrative.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »
2:
Now that was better... Probably because it started following the manga this time... Still needs work though. At least it bothered to give all the characters names this time...

Also, I was thinking battleship harem last episode. I didn't realize how right that would be...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:37:51 PM by MCAL »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »
2:

If my father were watching this, he'd be howling with laughter.  He was a navy man for 23 years.

Yeah, I know, moe girls controlling super weapon battleships and there's all kinds of magical technology that means you don't have to explain shit such as why the laws of physics don't apply.  Still, what's the point of making them look like pedestrian WW2 era vehicles if they're just superweapons in disguise?
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline SQA

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
2:

If my father were watching this, he'd be howling with laughter.  He was a navy man for 23 years.

Yeah, I know, moe girls controlling super weapon battleships and there's all kinds of magical technology that means you don't have to explain shit such as why the laws of physics don't apply.  Still, what's the point of making them look like pedestrian WW2 era vehicles if they're just superweapons in disguise?

Because blowing **** up only looks cool when you do it with battleships.  Over Visual Range missiles just don't seem as interesting (even if it's a more effective way to fight a war). 

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
I'm also trying to figure out how we got to Super Gravity Cannons without having just regular old garden variety Gravity Cannons.  They're making quantum leaps within episodes!
I'm just like you, only smarter™.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up