Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 02:57:15 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill La Kill  (Read 55465 times)

Offline thanosmat

Kill La Kill
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
EP 1

The first episode was intense, hot-blooded fast paced action, a lot of sakuga animation and cartoon visuals. It's the kind of episode that reminds me of an original anime (not adaptations) can do and why I prefer them. Acting is extremely over the top (Jojo style).

Offline MCAL

Re: Kill La Kill
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
1:
It was one thing after another with this episode. I kind of want them to slow down (And is that uniform really necessary?), but I am still intrigued by what I saw. Just needs to tone down the style a little bit and give me a reason to care for some of the characters later on and we have ourselves the next Gurren Lagann.

Offline Thot

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
1:

I feel it's lacking a few slower-paced moments. Hope they'll correct that in the following episodes.
Leaving that aside I can see this being great.

Also, for all of the FEED ME BLOOD thing, we got very little of that after she put the uniform on. I mean I don't expect this to have guts flying through the air or anything, but if you introduce the premise of a weapon or armor that feeds on blood, I expect the results to be a little more visceral than this.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:42:42 PM by Thot »

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »
01:

Oh God the fascist referencing. It's so frickin awesome. Still, I care more about the antagonists right now than I do about the protagonists, which is strange, for lack of a better word.
The action does get a little too stupid for it's own good though.
And is that uniform really necessary?
Nope. But it is nice and polygonal, where it exists.

Anyway somebody really needs to start counting off the fascism references. I see Chancellor Hitler, The adapted slogans of the Party from 1984, and... pretty much the whole setting. There's probably more, but it's two in the morning and I need sleep.

I really need to watch TTGL.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
Hulk and Asgardian Destroyer (Thor enemy) toys appeared very quickly in one scene.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
1: Oh my god! I love this! No disappointment, at all!

Well, a little bit, but it's really overshadowed by the absolute insanity of the series, and I freaking love that. This show is FLCL insane, which means Fumoffu's probably not going to be very into this show, at all, but, anyone's who's seen my list knows Gurren Lagann is one of my favorite shows of all time, and this episode goes to show that the original creators still have it. It understands how batshit insane it is, and it bathes in its insanity. This show is even more over the top than Gurren Lagann was at times.

However, I have a problem, that being the animation. The animation at times seems to be pretty slow and unimpressive, left for the fight scenes near the end of an episode. Sometimes, the animation is extremely weak, despite it being developed by Trigger. Or, most likely, because it was developed by Trigger. They only have so much of a budget, given that they're just now starting out as a company. I'm hoping, though, that this will be a two cour affair, nonetheless. That would make the fast pacing worth it. Gurren Lagann also had extremely fast pacing, but that's what made the series work. When Gurren Lagann slowed down during the second half of the series near the end, it didn't work out as much as the first half did. The first episodes in Gurren Lagann were a bit generic, sure, but as it went on, it got amazing, and its fast pacing helped that, a lot. However, this episode was just a BIT too fast paced. Unlike Gurren Lagann, this show seems like its trying to fit into a particular timeframe.

Nonetheless, this show is incredible. I can't wait for more. Looking forward to my possible anime of the year.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:17:56 PM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

Always happy to see more Gurren Lagann-esque shows.  It looks like the show is going to be a nonstop rush to the final boss, but that's actually just what I want from my shounen action.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:05:43 PM »
1:

I'm laughing so hard, great show and charming MC.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »
1:

That was ****nig bananas.

Looks like we got another contender for AOTY in the making.

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts
    • Funky_Dealer's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »
1:

Well now. This is really something else. I don't know where the hell it's going, but this ride will be nuts.

On another note, oh god all those voices. I swear I heard Tsubasa from Kare Kano, and sure enough, she's there.

Offline AH

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »
1:

Great fun. I don't think this is nearly as unpredictable nor as original as some claim it is, but more of the Gurren Lagann spirit in my anime is a good thing.

Offline XRavsterX

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 05:24:53 AM »
1:

That was ****nig bananas.

Looks like we got another contender for AOTY in the making.

It's been one episode - hold your horses.

Offline Garuda

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 06:56:10 AM »

It was a good first episode. There were some references to totalitarian regimes or dystopian works, and as we expected, we can find that crazy / cartoonish style again. However, the pace was perhaps a little too high, I agree that a few slower-paced moments would be rewarding for the show.

After that, it's too early to talk about something better than Gurren Lagann (I doubt Kill la Kill will be better, but why not) or as the best anime of the year, which is for me Shinsekai Yori by far.

Offline KS

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
1:

And thus courage was remembered that good day.....

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »
1:

Well that was fairly tame.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Up