Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 05:49:55 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill La Kill  (Read 56440 times)

Offline RyuKyotei

Re: Kill La Kill
« Reply #420 on: August 13, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »
@Kiniest

*spoiler*
Frankly, you're right.  Not all of the characters have a ton of impact on the main story.  However, I feel like they at least have some role in it by the end, even if that role was to die.  The movie version does have them all live, but I feel like it's fitting for the show to have them die.  It was at least a last hurrah by the characters to do something, even if that resulted in mostly pointless deaths. 

I think it lies with the fact that there was a massive cast of characters in Gurren Lagann.  I don't know if KLK can use that excuse, but almost all of the side characters in Gurren Lagann at least do something.  Even if they only served as the necessary levity in the darker parts of the show, I feel like they had some role.  I just didn't get that from KLK and their ending, a rather mediocre, ordinary happiness, felt like it was a bad way to just end it all.  The not-real antagonist, the spiral king, also had a big role, which I appreciated. 

Add the pure heart the show has behind it and I think Gurren Lagann really managed to pull of a large cast of characters mostly well.  Also, I have dubbed Yoko's kiss the kiss of death.  The show loves to have everyone she kisses die in a tragic moment almost immediately afterwords.  It's hilarious.

*end spoilers*

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts
    • Funky_Dealer's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #421 on: August 13, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »
I think Gurren Lagann was made by it's characters and KLK was made in spite of it's characters.  I think that's a good way to summarize my opinion on the whole affair.

That sums up my opinion on KLK quite well, actually. Mind you, I'd say KLK was made in spite of its characters that weren't deeply involved with the Kiryuuin family, but still. It burnt when the first half had me engrossed enough to make the second half make almost everyone utterly irrelevant while the main character carried the plot, especially when I was starting to like the supporting cast more on principle alone. If anything, I still find myself disliking Satsuki for the reasons people here have for liking her over any other characters - she takes up almost all the attention. That isn't saying Ryuuko, Nui, or Ragyo aren't guilty of the same thing, but... yeah. In the end, it's not like KLK's cast is poor or forgettable; they were just relegated to that role once the plot started kicking.

As for Gurren Lagann, I try not to compare apples and oranges here. Sure, they're both Imaishi and show his style, but GL had a benefit (or drawback, depending on your view) of being a send-off to other classic mecha series and sticking to some safe story angles. Generally speaking, though, I think it paced itself better and had a better awareness of itself than KLK.

Offline KS

« Reply #422 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:49 PM »
25:  That last OVA episode was a pretty enjoyable last romp with this wacky show.  Really the only thing that could have kept me from enjoying it just straight up was the always unwelcome and seemingly always on cue soundtrack with it's loud grindy vocal themes.  Luckily somebody had the sense to mix the BGM low in this episode so most of the time I barely noticed it.  Actually one of my favorite moments in the episode that I can only wish was intentional was when that eyeroll inducing Don't Lose Your Way song started up and then Ryuko just shouted her ultimate attack move over it and eventually it just felt like it sort of gave up and cut off.  God bless.  :)  Ami Koshimizu really has some pipes, it still blows my mind that she can do characters like Ryuko and then Yukiko Amagi in Persona this season who is like her exact opposite in terms of temperament.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »
25:

Didn't add anything substantial enough to make it required viewing but this was an amusing diversion nonetheless, sorta like good post-game DLC
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Up