Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 05:12:31 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill La Kill  (Read 56504 times)

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

Re: Kill La Kill
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »
Fairly entertaining, but ultimately forgettable if not for the animation.

I feel that's because it's just started. It might start getting a bit more interesting as it goes along.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 09:39:01 PM »
2:

Keep it up, dogs.

I wouldn't make any comparisons between this and TTGL. TTGL was a show in its own league: both shows have the same "WTF over-the-top action" delivery style, but they're essentially different. TTGL carries a empathic message about believing in yourself and standing up to oppression. Kill la Kill, however, is not only about standing up to oppressions, but is also about revenge. Maybe TTGL was better because it had a wonderful musical score because of Iwasaki Taku and the presentation was grander, but in the end, I won't compare the 2. Plus, Hiroyuki Sawano ain't half-bad with the music, either.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 02:30:01 AM »
Maybe TTGL was better because it had a wonderful musical score because of Iwasaki Taku and the presentation was grander, but in the end, I won't compare the 2.

But the thing is, TTGL wasn't really anything "grand" after two episodes either. I really didn't think TTGL got very exciting until episode 8.

I agree the music had a huge impact on how good TTGL was in terms of viewer experience though.

Offline SQA

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 03:57:24 AM »
Okay, Mako's family is reminding me of something really specific, but I can't quite place it

Looks awfully Go Negai'sh too.

I think you got it.  There's a lot of Cutey Honey in Ryuuko & a lot of Shin Marzinger Z aspects to "Senketsu".  Plus just general Go Nagai DNA in the characters. 

If this *is* Imiashi's send up to Go Nagai, this shit could get really crazy, really fast.  I just hope it doesn't go all Devilman on us.

One other point: the Goku suits likely are "made of humans", given some of the OP/ED and visual hints, but I think it's actually made of their "red strings of fate".  Which could send this in all sorts of weird places.  (It also explains the Scissors bit, as the scissors are then the tool of the Ancient Greek Goddess of Fate)   We'll see.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »
2:

You know this series could really pull a screwball on us and get to the final boss before anyone else, which would kind of compensate for the show's lack of momentum. Yep; this has energy in spades, but very little momentum. Matoi is actually a rather weak character, but Satsuki being all around badass could elevate her character above "shounen lead cranked upto 27" if we get a little more interaction between them, or if the interaction was less one-sided.

Also, the Nazi referencing has hit a low, but we did get a clever line on Japanese school uniforms.

Offline FuurinKazan

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »

Not as fun as the 1st episode, but that's probably because ep 1 took me by surprise with its energy. The pacing seems to be a bit more balanced in this episode, and Mako's antics are still pretty amusing.

But the thing is, TTGL wasn't really anything "grand" after two episodes either. I really didn't think TTGL got very exciting until episode 8.

Same here. Hell, I didn't even like TTGL that much before episode 8. It's definitely too early to judge this show.

One other point: the Goku suits likely are "made of humans", given some of the OP/ED and visual hints, but I think it's actually made of their "red strings of fate".  Which could send this in all sorts of weird places.  (It also explains the Scissors bit, as the scissors are then the tool of the Ancient Greek Goddess of Fate)   We'll see.

Damn, this makes a lot of sense.

Offline SQA

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
We should probably remember this is staff that worked on most of Gainax's famous works post-NGE.  These are the people the cemented the "Gainax Ending" as not just being the "NGE ending". 

I don't trust the storyline to go in "one direction" until the final episode has concluded.

Offline KS

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
2:

Satsuki is sort of stealing the show for me at this point along with Ira in the first episode and his manful speeches.  I love that she literally has a shining aura of presence and authority that she uses to overwhelm the fighting spirit of others and impose her law and how her subordinates are basically fanboys.  Then she follows it up with a spot of tea and just watches the chaos unfold.  Style, presence, class, honor and the authority and skillz to back it up and yet Ryuko is still going to race to the top in order to challenge her.  Gutsy stuff all around.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
We should probably remember this is staff that worked on most of Gainax's famous works post-NGE.  These are the people the cemented the "Gainax Ending" as not just being the "NGE ending". 

I don't trust the storyline to go in "one direction" until the final episode has concluded.

The gainax ending will be the real conclusion of panty and stocking.

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts
    • Funky_Dealer's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »
2:

Satsuki is sort of stealing the show for me at this point

Agreed. It's not like the show isn't working with the other characters, but she clearly has a presence compared to everyone else. Well, of course she'd have one considering her position.

I'll give the rest of the show time to catch up. It's certainly entertaining enough.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »

I agree the music had a huge impact on how good TTGL was in terms of viewer experience though.
Well, that's true.

It's actually a general pattern: in 2-cour shows like TTGL, there's bound to be low points here and there, especially after the first episode. This low point thing can also be seen in 1-cour series as well, and it's the same for PSG when there was a very low point towards the middle of the series. But I think TTGL is still a grand series overall; not consistent but something different nevertheless.

Offline SQA

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 08:27:05 AM »
Oh yeah, apparently this is going to be 24 episodes and ep 3 is "all hands on deck" for staff.  Which probably does mean we get a Satsuki vs Ryuuko fight, like the preview suggests.   It also means this series has a bunch of twists & turns left. 

Offline MCAL

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
3:
I really like that there was a fight between Kiryuin Satsuki and Ryuko, because it prevented this show from being to repetitive for the time being, even if it is going to go back to beat up the students next episode.

This is the last time I'll say it, because repeating it every episode is annoying, but tone down the fanservice based humor. It isn't funny. Other than that the comedy works, especially with Mako who starts her speech with a hallelujah chorus in the background.

Offline AH

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 03:25:19 PM »
3:

I was impressed by the battle sequence. Trigger can definitely score high in this regard, as expected of the Gurren Lagann creative team.

But no, this episode didn't have a deconstruction of fanservice or anything. Just some teasing and shamelessly incorporating the skimpy clothes into the plot.

Aside from that, I'm happy to see the story isn't afraid to introduce a few interesting hints, even if it's going to remain episodic for a while longer.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:41:04 PM by AH »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »
3:

Yeh, that was an entertaining watch, however even so.... meh.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Up