Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 07:59:31 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M3: the dark metal  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

M3: the dark metal
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:51 PM »
Hey a giant robot anime directed by Junichi Sato and written by Mari Okada.  What could possibly go wrong with this?

Episode 1

I admit that the characters have a bit more perk than I usually get out of shows from this genre.  The thing is that everything here has been done before for decades, and with the super low production budget, there's nothing particularly that attractive about the show.  From the premise to the visuals, it feels like everything about the show screams "meh."  I'll stick around for curiosity's sake, but the series will live and die by the strength of the ideas in the story.  Does Okada have interesting to say in a post apocalyptic giant robot show?  I guess we're about the find out.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: M3: the dark metal
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:26:52 PM »
I think it's worthwhile to mention that this is available for streaming worldwide both on Daisuke and Daisuke's Youtube channel.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:17:28 AM »
Well, the characters are trash, but hopefully this will at least have some form of interesting plot, or at least some nice battles.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
With Mari Okada working on this, it's doomed.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:56 AM »
Finally, a chicken walker mecha. It's like a small version of the Clan's Timber Wolf from MechWarrior.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 06:08:09 PM »
1:

Iíll readily admit as a huge fan of the guy that itís kind of disheartening for me to see that the directing here is Junichi Sato's work, since the impression I got from this first episode is that he seems like a fish out of water directing this. Uncomfortable is probably the choice word Iíd use to describe the first episode, because nothing seemed to really fit into place. The color palette for this show is way too dark most of the time, and the art and animation makes it look like this project was pulled out of a ten-year-old time capsule. The script seems to be handled rather impatiently, as if it's all too ready to highlight points such as Akashiís past and the past-consuming nature of the creatures in the Lightless Realm, but that in turn isn't helped by how bluntly it's presented. It gives off a half-assed "going through the motions" vibe, which is far a great sign after only just the first episode.

Granted, Iím hoisting unrealistic expectations and this obviously is a very different beast from the shows that Satoís made a name for himself through, but I see very few signs of the directorial prowess that has put three anime in my top ten Ė no command over tone, no persistence in exploring characters, no enthusiasm, etc. I still very much want to see if he can make anything out of this, and itís still early to make sweeping judgments about the direction of this show Ė I could see the potential duality surrounding the Lightless Realm leading to a picking apart of its constructs, so itís not like thereís a shortage of possibilities. But Iíll chalk up to saying that in part because the Sato fanboy in me is speaking for me more than I'd like to admit; the realist in me is a lot more wary about all of this.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:29:26 AM »
1:

So...
Well, it has potential, both in terms of looking cool and the characters. Hazaki in particular is aggressively annoying in a way that makes me think that she's trying hard to do...something, which makes me think something has gone down in the past. I don't know what she wants to achieve, but my ears are open.

I will also second what Delphinox said about the admonition at the end. I also think this first episode should have been something else altogether, like maybe a vignette about the mother from this episode. Think that extra episode of Shiki that was told from Nao's perspective. That has more dramatic potential, and serves as a context-setter as well, because we currently know too little about the lightless realm, and what we do know is very sketchy. Sketchy background building is such an irritating (and common) tendency of mecha anime. Lets hope this avoids that.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »
To be honest, I still dun know what's going on. They try to show lots of fear. Just like Attack on Titans. But the problem is fear of what.  But in Attack on Titans and Knights of Sidonia, we do know what are the people afraid of. But in M3, it seems that it's the dark. Or the creatures in the dark.
There is so much background story that is kept from us. And it more like I just tune into a middle of a very long series and I've missed the stating episode that explained everything. Making the mecha behave 'organic' was a good way to install fear. But my vibes is actually confusion. Hope they'll stop doing this in episode 3

Offline Gadget

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »
3-19

It takes lots of will power to go through the first 15 episode. Once they start explaining the origin of the 'Lightless realm', things does get interesting. Instead of leaving everyone by a thread for so long, they should have explain the situation after episode 6. To be honest, the first 15 episode seems to be a total filler.

The whole series feels cluster phobic. There are very little cast, for a national emergency. I think they over develop the characters without any plot moving. And that makes dull story. Although they try to keep the mystery going, but it went on for too long and it's difficult to sustain interest.

But it's a very unusual story of vengeance. And it's one of the most unusual and imaginative tale of revenge. Pity it took so long. And the mecha, is one of the best I've seen. It's not 'Gundam', nor it is too organic. Credit has to be given to  Shōji Kawamori for his concept and design.

There are a few episode left. Hope they have a good ending. But the first 15 'I dun give a dammed' episodes already damage the whole series. Maybe they still can salvage some thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up