Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 01:39:18 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Korra: Spirits  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: The Legend of Korra: Spirits
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 03:54:46 AM »
3:

Eska and twin continue to be the best part of this show, which is not a good thing. Korra herself is not being very endearing with all these tantrums, and the main conflict is falling flat. While the other characters and the setting are all fairly fresh and interesting, I'm feeling a struggle to actually tell a story.

The one thing that I really liked was how the some of the in-universe pedestals are crumbling. Aang seems to have been a questionable father, and Tenzin isn't quite the wise and reasonable figure I imagined.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
I dunno if I can convince myself to watch this. Korra needs to actually become a proper character for this show to salvage what the first season brought me.

I'd rather watch a series with Tenzen, Bei-Fong and Tenzen's wife having slice of life comedy to be quite honest.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 09:42:08 PM »
1-3:

Yeah... I have to drop this. By now I want to keep my excellent memories of the Avatar-verse intact.

Offline SQA

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 11:43:48 PM »
1-3:

Yeah... I have to drop this. By now I want to keep my excellent memories of the Avatar-verse intact.

Avatar is well worth a rewatch, truly, in place of this.  It really was a brilliant series.

And, I was going to comment that most of the side characters in Avatar got more effective characterization than the main characters from the first season of Korra (reflecting on the main 4).  Then it struck me the exact problem with the those characters: they're gender swapped (all 4) and that's why everything felt so flat.  Bolin probably comes off the cleanest of the bunch, but that's not saying a lot. 

The writers can obviously handle a range of characters (see Amon & Tarrlok, Lin Beifong & Pema), so the world and side-characters were fine, but the main 4 were such a blank slate and just simply off.  If Korra is a guy, she would pretty much end up being every Naruto trope to a T.  And I think that's the biggest problem.   She's Naruto without the charm or the facade to hide the pain.   And I guess that makes Aang into Luffy, which actually isn't too far off.

I'll stop while I'm ahead, but it makes a lot of sense.  I know why they'd make Korra female for the series (easiest "change" from Airbender), but an attempt to keep her relatable lost most of the character in the process.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
My only problem with the original avatar outside of the ending was the romance. These writers just need to uh....learn where their strengths lie I think.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 02:46:11 AM »
4:

This is slipping into 5 territory. The plot and the characters are behaving like robots. Literally the only thing that shook me out of my stupor was once again, Eska's antics. Frankly this is an unworthy addition to the franchise.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 02:40:17 AM »
7-8:

This is what I was hoping for since the beginning. Not incredible, but still exciting, fascinating, artistically innovative, and spirited. It's such a shame that we have to go back to the real world after this.

This was an excellent addition to the lore of the Avatar universe. I might have to keep posting. 

Offline Marid King

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 04:11:26 AM »
10:

The spirit world is a fantastic, mindbending setting with a touch of Miyazaki about it. This is by far the best episode to come out thus far, though that isn't saying much, so let me add that that I was honestly more excited watching this than the latest episode of Kyousogiga. Even if you've dropped this series, and especially if you particularly enjoyed the original Airbender series, I highly recommend you watch this.  What an absolute shame that instead of jumping straight to this, the creators decided to muck about with those trite and boring civil war shenanigans.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
So they improved on Korra's character? That's the main thing they need to do to save the show.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »
Frankly I don't think this show, either this season or future ones, can be 'saved'. But every now and then they might come up with a great episode, like this week.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 03:20:10 PM »
Well the main problem I had was with the characters. But if they receive adequate development and turn into more likable persona's I'm more than willing to follow it.

Not that I mind unlikable characters, but they better be interesting if that's the case (and plus korra is the wrong kind of series to have unlikeable characters). Idk maybe when its done I'll give it a whirl and keep my expectations low.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58:27 AM »
11-14:

I'm in the very odd position of having completed a show that I would rate lower than 5. This basically never happens, because it's my opinion that any show must be enjoyable to merit watching.

While I was watching the finale with a friend over Skype, several times I actually just popped open facebook in a new tab for a few seconds, not because I was bored, but because I couldn't bear how badly the writers were degrading their characters and the setting. What an appalling, lazy, boneheaded, slipshod effort. I've lost absolutely all my enthusiasm for Korra as a series, and all faith in any further works the creators of this garbage offer in the future. Though I do hope at some point, for the sake of viewers in general, they realize that they have zero talent when it comes to writing romance, and never do so again.

As for how I would rate this... bah, there is no point in thinking deeply about a work that no significant amount of thought was put into. LoK: Spirits gets a handful of chocolate salty testicles from me. Don't bother watching it.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Oh shit. I had planned to catch up to this at some point in time, and now it's finished and I haven't even seen a single episode.

But I will definitely watch it. I enjoy hating on Korra.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »
They had zero talent for romance in the original series as well. But that's funny, I'm curious on how bad the end could possibly be.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up