Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 10, 2017, 07:10:34 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA  (Read 21989 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »
Ouch.  This is a hard 7 at least.  Cute, humorous, full of meta jokes on the magical girl genre and Type-Moonity, good action sequences, awesome animation, and a solid score.

6 is buyable if you're cranky, 5 is disingenuous.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
I'd probably give this a 4/10 actually, and yes I'm a cranky type-moon fan.. This should never have used fate characters if they were going to be nothing like their actual personalities.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 06:07:37 PM »
Cranky Type-Moon fan opinions are invalid.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 03:55:12 AM »
Ouch.  This is a hard 7 at least.  Cute, humorous, full of meta jokes on the magical girl genre and Type-Moonity, good action sequences, awesome animation, and a solid score.

6 is buyable if you're cranky, 5 is disingenuous.

Yeah, only the jokes got stale eventually and the series did little to keep the meta-humour fresh. Compare this to Carnival Phantasm. That was proper meta humour: frantic, consistently hilarious, and blindingly fast. A lot of Prisma Ilya (like Episode 3), in contrast, was just boring.
The action scenes are OK(with the exception of transformed Ilya vs Saber, which was awesome), but like I said, save for Caster, they all suffered from a severe case of bad AI. Bad AI is bad. Bad AI kills fights.
I wont deny that episodes 1,2, and the second half of six were really good. 8/10 quality even, but like I said(and then cut out), those bits are just far too brief.

I will watch the second season, whenever it airs. I think the show can always be funny if it puts its mind to it, though salvaging the serious will be quite a bit harder.
Its still a high five(pun intended no pun intended pun intended no pun intended) out of ten, so its not like I actively dislike the show. It just flashed brilliance in my face and then refused to follow it up.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 04:52:33 AM »
I wasn't able to appreciate the meta-humour, or I simply didn't find it funny, I don't know which, probably a mixture of both. I gave it a 5. I felt that to be slightly generous at the time.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
Thing is, the meta humor isn't supposed to be the entirety of the show.  It is still a magical girl show, with the meta stuff thrown in (mostly by Ruby) for extra punch.  "Raping maids" was utterly random and hilarious.

As far as the enemies go, yeah they were dumb AI, because that's exactly what they were.  The girls were never dealing with anything but manifestations of out of control power.  That should change in the next season.

I'm curious as to what jokes got stale, seeing as how most of the second half was serious business and brooding.  The lightheartedness went out the window in favor of drama.  Not a big fan of that part myself, but it wasn't enough to kill the show down to mediocrity.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 01:50:10 AM »
Thing is, the meta humor isn't supposed to be the entirety of the show.  It is still a magical girl show, with the meta stuff thrown in (mostly by Ruby) for extra punch.  "Raping maids" was utterly random and hilarious.
Yes, the maid rape was awesome. No denying that. Though, the thing is, the meta humour started to cross over into pandering territory later on, and that didn't work too well with the magical girl part of the show. This combination of self-awareness and pandering really kills the sense of adventure that I love(d) about mahou shoujo shows and just makes everything feel drab.
On a slightly tangential point, it seems that a few of the jokes later on came at the expense of characterisation. Cases in point: Miyu going yandere, Sella wanting to be a maid, and Sella complaining about her bust.

As far as the enemies go, yeah they were dumb AI, because that's exactly what they were.  The girls were never dealing with anything but manifestations of out of control power.  That should change in the next season.
I expected manifestations of out of control power to be, you know, aggressive. Saber and Berserker did a lot of standing around and doing nothing -too much if you ask me. Also, almost all of the attacking in the Berserker fight was being done by protagonists, plus Berserker doesn't dodge at all, and that just makes Berserker feel unintimidating despite him being a two-and-a-half metre tall giant.
We'll see how the second season fares in this regard. I'm pretty hopeful, since I know silver link can do it; they did it in the Caster fight to some extent.

I'm curious as to what jokes got stale, seeing as how most of the second half was serious business and brooding.  The lightheartedness went out the window in favor of drama.  Not a big fan of that part myself, but it wasn't enough to kill the show down to mediocrity.
Rin and Luvia constantly fighting, Tatusko spamming random, irrelevant pop culture references, magical girls having weird costumes(awesome in E01, less so later on, like Rin&Luvia vs Saber) are all examples. I have to search my memory for more, but then again, this show wasn't particularly high on the joke per second count.
As for the drama, what killed it for me was simply that it was boring.

I'll probably like this a lot more when S2 airs, since I really don't like this ending and I want to see it disregarded.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:05:38 AM by Pebble »

Offline Pebble

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
☆☆☆2wei!☆☆☆:

The difference between this and the pilot episode of season one was the feeling of a conventional idea -a mahou shoujo anime- playing out in an unconventional way. 2wei finds itself in the situation where it has already established its own set of conventions, which would be the referentiality, the loli☆yanderepe, and overall otaku-friendly bag of exploitative jokes and the like, and so it needs to break, exploit, or subvert them in some way to induce the same laughs as the earlier season's openers. This is where the first season was a success; it initially managed to make you think you were watching a mahou shoujo anime, but then spat in your face and had things progress in the most bizzare fashion possible, until it settled down squarely in the most bizzare of genres - otaku comedy.
This episode is, for one, predictable; it isn't pulling any of that face-spitting semi-subversive humour, and two, it doesn't progress much, let alone progress in a bizzare way. Hell, it spends a lot of time getting you familiar with goings on through overt exposition, some of which just reminds you that Ilya is a bit ... short on grey matter (Tatsuko barges in the classroom in July shouting 'ocean' with a swimming tube;Ilya is at loss). So if the appeal of season one's openers was OMG WTFF AM I WAHTCHING, the appeal of this opener is "look, leystritt in short shorts". Thats not cool, man. Go back to being bananas.

That means that the only thing this show is standing on right now is the promise of good action and, well, KuroIlya's design. Oh, and the animation has stepped up considerably, even though some effects, like the bog, are a bit fail.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »
2Wei 1:

The only question I have now is whether or not brown Illya will rape the maids.  Wait, this is Type Moon, of course she will.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 04:49:28 PM »
2wei 1:
I have heard "things" about this part of the series. Very 'NSFW' things.

"Things" beside, this episode was basically just a reintroduction with some hit and miss humor. My favorite moment probably being Rin telling Illya and Miyu to stop wasting time with over elaborate transformations. This series always did a good job with making fun of Mahou Shoujo cliches.

2wei 2:
Speaking of things....
2Wei 1:
The only question I have now is whether or not brown Illya will rape the maids.  Wait, this is Type Moon, of course she will.
Well she didn't rape the maids, but...

Well that was certainly a "thing" wasn't it?
And why is it that Silver Link seems to have twice the budget than Deen ever had?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:37:50 PM by MCAL »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 06:49:21 PM »
2:

DAMN. I thought Sakura Trick would have no competition this year. I was wrong. That was amazing.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline KS

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »
Maybe I'm just too focused on things I would think ought to actually matter, but could somebody (preferably who is not TIF) please explain to me why the internet always seems to lose it's shit whenever there's an episode of a scene in an anime that has two girls making out?  Also why does Silver Link seem particularly obsessed with showing this sort of thing?

Like I know exactly how I'm expected to react to this sort of thing and I know plenty of people are more than willing to play ball, but I chose not to on the principle of it:
a) being ****ing stupid
b) a cheap way to get peoples attention and shallow praises.

Straight up go **** yourselves Silver Link along with your uncreative pandering approach to comedy anime.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:58:27 PM by KS »

Offline SQA

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »
Maybe I'm just too focused on things I would think ought to actually matter, but could somebody (preferably who is not TIF) please explain to me why the internet always seems to lose it's shit whenever there's an episode of a scene in an anime that has two girls making out?  Also why does Silver Link seem particularly obsessed with showing this sort of thing?

Like I know exactly how I'm expected to react to this sort of thing and I know plenty of people are more than willing to play ball, but I chose not to on the principle of it:
a) being ****ing stupid
b) a cheap way to get peoples attention and shallow praises.

Straight up go **** yourselves Silver Link along with your uncreative pandering approach to comedy anime.

They actually toned it down as Illya kissed Miyu in what was Ep 1 in the Manga.  It was actually the first thing to happen in the manga.  (Just went to look it up)

The reasoning, however, is not all that complex to explain.  It just goes against the political message said about same-sex relationships (while still being constantly backed up by research work).  The short version is that it means the Women are sexually "adventurous" and more than willing to do a threesome.   Far less than a majority of women that have or had same-sex relationships stay exclusively with women.    This is the basic understanding that goes into the instinctual aspect.

Layered on top of it is a few other things.  The view that female sexual attraction is "pure", thus not directly involving a male doesn't change any status of the character.  Further, it's not showing competition for a specific male's attention.  (It's something of the anti-harem/"not attached to a male" sign, so to speak)   So, you end up with something of paradoxical signal: a "pure" woman that's more than willing to get freaky in the sheets.  Which is what the allure and utility is about.

Mind you, these are natural instincts and displays that aren't thought through by the audience.  You're not sitting there thinking about this.   We can point out similar aspects, in instinctual response, to all sorts of genre works.  They just work on other ones.  There's a reason the Love Triangle is such a staple of Female-targeted literature.  Twilight wasn't as MONSTER hit for no reason.  And we know that reason wasn't due to the objective quality of the writing. :)

Offline Pebble

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 12:39:02 AM »
2:

DAMMIT SHOW, YOU HAD ONE JOB, AND THAT WAS TO NEVER SHOW ME YOUR RENDITION OF IRISVIEL'S FACE EVER AGAIN, AND YOU, AAAARGH.

I really hate how much this show involves people standing around explaining stuff to other people. Who cares if Miyu is using a special dagger? The appearance of the dagger alone is information enough. Its crap like this that keeps bogging down these fights to 'budgeted, but mediocre'.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
Maybe I'm just too focused on things I would think ought to actually matter, but could somebody (preferably who is not TIF) please explain to me why the internet always seems to lose it's shit whenever there's an episode of a scene in an anime that has two girls making out?

Quote from: SQA
The reasoning, however, is not all that complex to explain.  It just goes against the political message said about same-sex relationships (while still being constantly backed up by research work).  The short version is that it means the Women are sexually "adventurous" and more than willing to do a threesome.   Far less than a majority of women that have or had same-sex relationships stay exclusively with women.    This is the basic understanding that goes into the instinctual aspect.

Layered on top of it is a few other things.  The view that female sexual attraction is "pure", thus not directly involving a male doesn't change any status of the character.  Further, it's not showing competition for a specific male's attention.  (It's something of the anti-harem/"not attached to a male" sign, so to speak)   So, you end up with something of paradoxical signal: a "pure" woman that's more than willing to get freaky in the sheets.  Which is what the allure and utility is about.

Mind you, these are natural instincts and displays that aren't thought through by the audience.  You're not sitting there thinking about this.   We can point out similar aspects, in instinctual response, to all sorts of genre works.  They just work on other ones.  There's a reason the Love Triangle is such a staple of Female-targeted literature.  Twilight wasn't as MONSTER hit for no reason.  And we know that reason wasn't due to the objective quality of the writing. :)

And now, you're getting my explanation, which is just the utterly dry Cliff's Notes version of what SQA said:

IT'S ****ING HOT!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All   Go Up