Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 08:36:44 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA  (Read 20958 times)

Offline SQA

Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »
Well, this is probably a first: a Meta Mahou Shoujo series.  So much meta humor.  If they'd actually had her watching Madoka, it'd have made it even better.

Next up: Budget.  They might have spent as much as some series on that first episode.  And considering they have Oonuma Shin onboard directing, it also has some SHAFTian flare to the visuals, as well.

This apparently is a manga series, so we'll see if it sticks to that or decides to go with something else.

Either way, this sucker is going to Sell, Sell and then Sell some more.  It actually looks like a fun watch, at the moment, let's hope it keeps up.

Oh, and Ruby is a complete jerk, though voiced by someone other than I thought.  I thought it was Dekomori from Chunnibyou doing the voice.  Sounds like it, but that's apparently too Meta.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:55:21 AM »
1:

OH GAWD... THE META... THE META... THEY... THEY CAN'T FIT ANYMORE IN THERE!  IT HURTS... SUFFOCATING!... BUT... BUT... IT FELLS SO RIGHT!

Okay seriously, this rocked the party that rocks the pinata.  I would be amused, but somehow not surprised, if this surpasses any other Fate anime production to date as the most popular and highest selling.  There's just so much here for everybody to adore.  I mean, Tenchi Muyo tried and ****ing failed miserably to run with the Pretty Sammy stuff, so the precedent for doing a spinoff that goes completely into left field has not been kind.  But this... egads I couldn't... I just... I... I... I'M COMING SOOOOOOON!

Got unserious for a second.  Hang on.  Rebooting serious:

It is gorgeous to look at, the humor is ****ing hysterical, and there's enough Fate related Easter eggs to keep a Type-Mooninite happy.  But that would have just made this another Carnival Phantasm, and they needed to go wider.  So here comes the meta on... god damned everything.  Obviously, the magical girl genre takes it in the yaoi-hole a lot harder than others, but there's still plenty of deep dicking to go around.  I particularly loved the Ruby snark on magical girls needing to be lolis, and the henshin poses and "angles" were "perfect".  Good God, I thought the stick had been taken over by every pedotastic otaku on the planet simultaneously.

To get nitpickity and crotchety, I will mention a few other things just because I ****ing feel like it.

* Shirou was not dense enough.  We were at lead here.  Shirou is more of a brown dwarf.
* Until they said she was adopted, I couldn't have told you she was.  I mean, I noticed that mom wasn't Irie, but the hair and the eyes and the... HOLY SHIT CHECK OUT THE TITS ON THAT OLDER SISTER!
* Illya is probably the first mahou shoujo to henshin in a furo.  God damn I'm a weaboo.
* Rin doing that ****ing "I ask you, are you my master?" pose... wait this wasn't a bad thing.
* Though I don't get what the point was of her having a little rumble with the Freshly Minted Prism Illya.  I mean, if she's just going to give up and deal with it anyway... Oh wait, she's tsundere.  Hah!
* JESUS CHRIST!  IT'S A LION SQUEEKIE!  GET IN THE BATH!

I'm not really nitpicking am I?  Shit, I must like this.  A lot.  I'm deranged.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
/looks at TIF's avatar.  Look at text.  Back at Avatar.  Back to text.

You just has a Tomoko moment.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
1: Einzberns are hot.

I have never seen a more gorgeous or funny magical girl fantasy meta moe comic parody mishmash as this. Shows like this should suck. Why doesn't this?

Offline KS

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
1: Einzberns are hot.

I have never seen a more gorgeous or funny magical girl fantasy meta moe comic parody mishmash as this. Shows like this should suck. Why doesn't this?

I only ever really liked Irisviel's design much.  Ilya is just plain creepy and unpleasant and not to mention loli.  Maybe Heaven's Feel can repair my image of her but she's definitely not high up on the list of Type/Moon characters for me which doesn't help this show much either.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »
Yo, HAVE YOU SEEN
THE TITS ON THAT OLDER SISTER!

The red eyes/white hair combo has always been one of my more twisted fancies.

Offline FuurinKazan

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »

I quite liked this, though I probably haven't seen enough from the magical girl genre to fully appreciate the meta content here.

So I was wondering, since I haven't seen Fate/Zero yet, how much am I missing here?

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
So I was wondering, since I haven't seen Fate/Zero yet, how much am I missing here?

Nothing. The two have practically nothing to do with each other and whatever characters may be the "same" aren't really the same characters in actuality.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »
Aside from the character names, a few Fate based themes (the names they used for the Card functions match the "Class Types" used for each Heroic Spirit), and a couple of inside jokes (The pullback shot of Rin standing and pointing towards the collapsed [and nude] Illya is a direct scene taken from several Fate anime and games), there isn't anything here that requires extra viewing.

Indeed, and this might be a plot point later, when I mentioned that I had a hard time separating Illya from the rest of the family I thought maybe we were seeing some kind of new Einzbern incarnation, but noticed immediately that her mother wasn't Irisviel and she had no sister.  Indeed, when they revealed she was the adopted one (not the noticeably out of place orange haired Shirou), I just decided not to worry about it.  Knowledge of the Fate universe might actually get in the way, so you're better off.

Offline SQA

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:22:44 PM »
2:

So, the "source of power" items in the future all need to be meta trolls.  This series is freaking hilarious, in between the times it's actually serious.  It's a really nice blend.  Even if this is a Fate spin off series, it's really very good.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 01:03:13 PM »
Late as hell, but whatever.

2: At times, this show has me laughing at how ridiculous mahou shoujo series are. At others, it makes me want to get all of cardcaptor sakura and watch it for nostalgia's sake(It was probably the second anime I was exposed to, right after pokemon). Thats a pretty great achievement.

Meta shows usually have me constantly worried I'm not getting the references. I did catch the Kenshin one though.
I cant get enough of the OP and that shot of Ilya standing in the Penguindrum pose will probably be my wallpaper for the rest of the year. For me, this is tied with Love Lab for comedy of the season.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
3: We run through the entire gauntlet of mahou shoujo cliches. This episode wasn't able to make me laugh at it though, but ah hell. Its pretty, it has loli-shots and its got the promise of more midnight mirror-world action next week. What more could I ask for?

Also, I listened to the OP until I went deaf.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 09:19:12 AM »
4:

That was frickin' awesome. It wasn't too cool at the beginning but the quality really shot up when everyone started pulling out the big guns.
Ooo, and the death sequence for the villain this episode was a lot like Eva's Angels. Come to think of it, the story setup in this is actually quite similar to Eva. Makes me wonder it it was intentional. And it looks like Black saber is up next. Moar badassery incoming.

EDIT: Since I'm not watching Symphogear G, and what I hear of it quite resembles what I'm seeing here, I'm wondering which one of the two has better fight sequences.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:26:23 AM by Pebble »

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts
    • Funky_Dealer's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 07:43:39 PM »
2-4:

I don't know why I waited to catch up to this, being a TM nut. The production quality here is amazing, and all the meta is tongue-in-cheek. They kind of overdo the mahou shoujo stuff at times like in episode 3, but Taiga's reaction to all of it was still worth it. Then there's episode 4, those battles, that nice story progression, and that older Waver cameo... damn it, I really waited too long.

Quote from: Pebble
Ooo, and the death sequence for the villain this episode was a lot like Eva's Angels.

Gae Bolg and the Lance of Longinus do look very similar, not to mention that both have the tendency to be thrown at stuff a bunch.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »
5:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by this battle.

Sure, somewhat long talking between attacks and a sense that the opponent is just waiting while the Main characters discuss, explain and prep their attacks is pretty common, but that isn't the problem; in fact, this episode almost circumvented this problem by making Black Saber a tank and giving her hostages(Though that fell apart pretty quickly). The problem is that I couldn't feel the fury at all. Since she isn't particularly fast and was easily dodged, Saber Alter needed to be genuinely terrifying somehow for the fight to be better than average, but she wasn't, so it wasn't.

A better howl, screen-filling attacks, or a scary-fast long-range grab/pull attack would have done wonders. Safe-zones just ruin fights.

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »
6:

5:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by this battle.

I'm guessing that's what this episode was for.

While it wouldn't take much to figure how everything was going to go, the episode had some great atmosphere and a freaking beautiful fight scene. The whole transformation out of nowhere will take some explaining, but I'll roll with it for now.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 07:37:59 PM »
6:

For those who aren't familiar with the Fate universe beyond Prism Illya, the look of the outfit and the powers / actions of the Archer transformation are (probably) very meaningful.  Explaining it might spoiler something, tho, so into the tags it goes!

Spoiler for Hiden:

In a nutshell, aside from exposing her midriff, she strongly resembled Archer from Fate Stay Night.  There are a number of important significances of that, namely:

- Archer tends to fight with swords that he creates himself, a white blade and a black blade, rather than a bow (though he does use it here in this episode).
- Fate S/N Archer is Rin's servant in the Holy Grail War.
- Archer is the Heroic Spirit of Shirou (Fate S/N Shirou, not Illya's adopted brother in this series), who is capable of using his "trace" magic to modify objects or create new ones.
- He is the bone of his sword.
- Everybody is gay for Archer.
- There were two Archers in the Holy Grail War featured in Fate S/N.  The first was the one described, the second was Gilgamesh, who appears later and was actually a hold-over (shenanigans) from the previous Holy Grail War (see Fate / Zero).

Offline SQA

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »
6:

Well, that was impressive in the second half.  I also like what they're up to with this series and I hope we see similar production designs in the future.

A lot of way this series works is actually in multiple post-production filtering runs.  That's how everything has so much gradient coloration to it.  And they used that setup to great effect in the 2nd half battle scene.  That saved a lot of physical animation, allowing them to skip a lot of CG that would normally show up, plus not have to go to really "bendy" animation styling.  So they were able to put in "more" high quality animation, but they also ramped up the compositing (the fire was a real fire-effect composed in) and filter effects.  In total, it looked REALLY nice and probably didn't break the budget (though it required some shifting).   I hope to see this style of design in the future, though I imagine it requires having the post-process filtering done in-house, to keep it on schedule.

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
7:

Now that was some mood shift. It seems like it'll all be done in the next episode so they can wrap it all up with the Berserker fight, but man. I was expecting to just mention how much I was enjoying all that meta until the last couple of minutes hit. I guess I'll just say that Ruby and Sapphire talking about maids in particular is funny and that they couldn't have been less subtle with the Nanoha references and leave it there.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 04:37:33 AM »
6:

First half: more meh. I really cant get a feel for where anything is, and since this was a ranged fight, not having a sense of territory really hurts it more than it should. It helps me empathise with Ilya's panic and confusion after the Excalibur struck, but not being able to easily figure out where it was that the attack even struck and where Saber was standing before it did doesn't help the show in any way.

Second half: HOLY BALLS THAT WAS AMAZING. THAT WAS F***ING PERFECT. I cannot express how much I love Archer Ilya's fighting style. Its scary fast, its vicious, and yet still gracefully elegant. Her being there elevated the entire fight way, way, way above average. If Saber herself was less passive for the first three-quarters of episodes 5-6, this fight would have been at the level of ufotable's better fights, because post-transformation, this was probably one of the best non-realistic swordfights I've seen.

Still, it makes the weakness of the earlier bits stand out a bit. Saber was perfectly capable of being scary all along; she had the quick AOE windslash and enough speed to match an agility-build fighter, yet she didn't try to use any of that earlier. You could say that it emphasizes how outclassed the four MCs were, but I think it would have been better demonstrated if Saber slowly and deliberately cornered them despite their best efforts, as opposed to them being hit by a lucky hit.
The ending was a bit substandard though. I'm just not too fond of "whose spiritbomb was better" resolutions.

7: So... much... whiplash...
Well, its not that bad. The first(, pretty funny) half does set Ilya up as impulsive and careless, so it's actually being followed up on, so it isn't as bad as it could have been.

I was expecting to just mention how much I was enjoying all that meta until the last couple of minutes hit. I guess I'll just say that Ruby and Sapphire talking about maids in particular is funny and that they couldn't have been less subtle with the Nanoha references and leave it there.
Very lyrically put. A more lyrical description I couldn't have given you myself. I think I shall dub this the Lyrical f***up. Lyrical lyrical lyrical.

But seriously, lack of subtlety kills meta. It, how do I put it... ruins the lyricality.

See what I mean?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:26:45 AM by Pebble »

Offline KS

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 09:28:44 AM »
So I went ahead and watched that fight scene from episode 6 cause that's all anybody seemed to imply was worth watching about this show and....why are people so impressed by this again?  It's kind of flashy yeah, but that's about it (I found Railgun S had more interesting well thought out fights or tense moments and more frequently then this show at that) it's still the same old kind of weird and squishy character designs which is still a turn off for me and it honestly doesn't even feel like a proper Fate style fight with zero tactics and strategy and Illya just kind of pulling Excalibur out of nowhere with Archer style abilities even though Archer claimed even he couldn't fully trace such a divine weapon 100% .  I guess I'm just not that easily impressed, I mean it wasn't a bad fight scene but I was hardly blown away by it....Illya's outfit was interesting I guess.  From the sounds of it it's back to straight mediocrity afterword so if that was their gambit to get people interested in the show I'm not sure it paid off.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
So I went ahead and watched that fight scene from episode 6 cause that's all anybody seemed to imply was worth watching about this show and....why are people so impressed by this again?  It's kind of flashy yeah, but that's about it (I found Railgun S had more interesting well thought out fights or tense moments and more frequently then this show at that) it's still the same old kind of weird and squishy character designs which is still a turn off for me 
I haven't seen Railgun S so I cant say anything about that. What I can say is that the first season of Railgun didn't have any fights that even remotely approached this.
Flashiness is perhaps your way of describing the special effects, like the sword trails, and the excessive camera movements. Admittedly, some of them don't work well, like the spiraling shot before Saber and Ilya's first melee clash, which is just done for show.
The others, like the camera recoil when Archer starts doing his aerial barrage help create a sense of impact that is sadly missing in a lot of fights. Railgun(Season One) had this problem almost constantly. I guess the exceptions there would be when Misaka fires off her railgun, but even those were kinda wimpy; shit(cars) never got crushed or blew up.
The dizzying sequences are there to get you dizzy, and Ilya never blinking even once in Golden Mode is there to unnerve your ass. It worked on me, and most shows never even try shit like that.

and it honestly doesn't even feel like a proper Fate style fight with zero tactics and strategy
Not every fight needs to have explicitly stated tactics. Recall the sword fights in F/Zero, and how Saber's movements were often carefully thought out, with consideration to whether she was fighting Lancer or Caster or whomever, even if they were never stated. Similar type of unstated swordplay tactics here. What was incredible about this fight was how explosive it was, yet how either side retained their specific combat identities. Ilya is in an almost constant retreat for the entirety of the fight, and she uses the barrage of attacks to keep Saber in one place, all while she pirouetting, dodging, making smokescreens and generally trying to fight below the belt. Its a classic "the best defense is a good offense" strategy, and the reason I think they work best in a TV show is because they are pretty illusory. The best part is how all this is never said explicitly. Nobody wants more scenes in which the bad guy just stands there and stares while the MC spouts infodump. Admittedly, this show has done similar stuff. A lot. But hell, so did Titan. A bit of leeway is called for.
Besides, we cant always have realistic fights. Some universes are just flashy by nature, and Fate/<subtitle> is one of them. Surprise at an ass-pull Noble Phantasm is just part of the appeal.
Spoiler for Stuff Archer does in Fate/Zero:
Aint no "strategy" involved in pulling Ea out of your Gate of Babylon and raping Ionian Hetaroi with it.

and Illya just kind of pulling Excalibur out of nowhere with Archer style abilities even though Archer claimed even he couldn't fully trace such a divine weapon 100%.
Ah. You got me there. That bit I don't have a defense for. She should have pulled a different Phantasm out, or killed using a mobility strategy.

I guess I'm just not that easily impressed, I mean it wasn't a bad fight scene but I was hardly blown away by it....
Well aren't we all critical and sophisticated?
Illya's outfit was interesting
Yeah sorry I take that back. You are an awesome person.
I guess.
You guess? You f***ing guess?

Offline KS

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
Dude look around you, this site is pretty critical of shit in general and I'm possibly even more so a lot of the time.  I'm not hard to entertain, just hard to truly impress so I don't know what you were expecting here lol.  As a veteran of countless mecha/military anime/games/manga titles over the years I have seen an absolutely absurd number of different styles of fighting, styles of depiction, design aesthetics and cinematic touches so when a fight like this one comes along, yeah it's good for this joke of a season where action/budget are concerned but this is the kind of the level of fight sequence I see probably at least bi-weekly within my watch lists so I'll probably forget everything about it within a few days other than that Fem-Archer outfit.  That's kind of the level it was on for me....I guess.  :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:27:18 AM by KS »

Offline Pebble

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »
There's a difference between being critical and looking out for "flaws" to find. I keep flaws in quotation marks because most things are just a few mental steps from being "flaws" to being "strengths". If I were to view this in the context of flashy magicky shows, this fight is very memorable. If I were to view this considering the aims of a show like say, Kaiji or Gundam 08th MS Team, it isn't.

Admittedly, these "genre groups" are rather arbitrarily made and I recognise that. I just dont see why all action scenes have to be scarring/harrowing/dark/gritty/detailed/tactical to be good.

EDIT:
I guess.  :P
Please excuse me while i go throw an apoplectic fit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:24:14 PM by Pebble »

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
The fight in my opinion is okay in it's own right, but compared to other well made type moon productions it pales in comparison. Not to mention all the logical inconsistencies presented here that don't fit with what we know about fate. This is before even getting into all the aesthetic issues I have with this show. Aka it sucks and I wouldnt expect anything different of silver link

Offline KS

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »
The fight in my opinion is okay in it's own right, but compared to other well made type moon productions it pales in comparison. Not to mention all the logical inconsistencies presented here that don't fit with what we know about fate. This is before even getting into all the aesthetic issues I have with this show. Aka it sucks and I wouldnt expect anything different of silver link

Basically this though I'd add that one above average fight scene with a magical loli in a revealing outfit does not a good or standout show make in and of itself and there's so many other areas in which this series has been fairly lacking and leaves much to be desired compared to other Type/Moon stuff that is best left to people less versed in Type/Moonology than me to point out.

I don't know, on some level I understand the hype, for people that only really follow what's currently airing closely as what's on TV right now is sorely lacking in the action/cool department now that the best parts of Railgun S are over and Symphogear G's budget is dwindling, but when you've got a mix of things like I do this fight really don't stand out that much and it hasn't kept up a similar level of excellence in this department like Railgun S did over the course of the early season either.  Don't know how else to put it.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
Basically this though I'd add that one above average fight scene with a magical loli in a revealing outfit does not a good or standout show make in and of itself and there's so many other areas in which this series has been fairly lacking and leaves much to be desired compared to other Type/Moon stuff that is best left to people less versed in Type/Moonology than me to point out.
Of course it bloody well doesn't. It does, however, make for an awesome segment in an otherwise mediocre fight with a magical loli in a revealing outfit.
I dont get why people even came into this expecting any insightful, chilling or good Type-Moon material. That's like complaining about Love Lab because it doesn't have horror.

This is before even getting into all the aesthetic issues I have with this show. Aka it sucks and I wouldnt expect anything different of silver link
Ok admittedly the fire effect on archer was godawful and the feathers didn't really gel with the traced excalibur, but other than that I dont know what it is you're comlaining about.
Don't quite see your point.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 03:01:18 AM »
8:

Too much brooding, not enough meta humor.  Moving on to the next episode.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »
10:

Its over!  With an announcement of a second season!  Nobody is surprised by this!

Iri shows up!  Which is great!  Because Iri is hot!  But she says she needs to get back to Kiritsugu!  Which is weird!  Because Shirou!  Seriously!  With the time line all buggered up thanks to a past event not happening, how... who... when.... the questions!

Ahhh!

Oh and Illya pulls off a mass beam spam Excalibur with the help of Miyu, who turns yandere!  Whee!

Offline Pebble

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 07:29:28 AM »
8: Didn't laugh once in the whole episode, and the genre-mesh felt really uncomfortable here. That hurts a show like this more than normal, since that's where all the charm is supposed to come from.

9: WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO IRISVIEL'S FACE, SILVER LINK? And I disapprove of that Saber outfit.
Also, Berserker is suffering from the same problem Saber Alter had. Really drags down the action.

10: Good lord Tatusko is annoying. A lot about this ending really alienated me; the meta stopped being clever, the jokes mostly fell flat, the mahou-shoujo charm all went to hell and then there was all that yandere bullshit.

6/10. The good parts in this show were too brief.
Y'know what? Never mind that. I enjoyed practically nothing these past three episodes. 5/10.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:45:51 AM by Pebble »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »
Ouch.  This is a hard 7 at least.  Cute, humorous, full of meta jokes on the magical girl genre and Type-Moonity, good action sequences, awesome animation, and a solid score.

6 is buyable if you're cranky, 5 is disingenuous.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
I'd probably give this a 4/10 actually, and yes I'm a cranky type-moon fan.. This should never have used fate characters if they were going to be nothing like their actual personalities.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 06:07:37 PM »
Cranky Type-Moon fan opinions are invalid.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 03:55:12 AM »
Ouch.  This is a hard 7 at least.  Cute, humorous, full of meta jokes on the magical girl genre and Type-Moonity, good action sequences, awesome animation, and a solid score.

6 is buyable if you're cranky, 5 is disingenuous.

Yeah, only the jokes got stale eventually and the series did little to keep the meta-humour fresh. Compare this to Carnival Phantasm. That was proper meta humour: frantic, consistently hilarious, and blindingly fast. A lot of Prisma Ilya (like Episode 3), in contrast, was just boring.
The action scenes are OK(with the exception of transformed Ilya vs Saber, which was awesome), but like I said, save for Caster, they all suffered from a severe case of bad AI. Bad AI is bad. Bad AI kills fights.
I wont deny that episodes 1,2, and the second half of six were really good. 8/10 quality even, but like I said(and then cut out), those bits are just far too brief.

I will watch the second season, whenever it airs. I think the show can always be funny if it puts its mind to it, though salvaging the serious will be quite a bit harder.
Its still a high five(pun intended no pun intended pun intended no pun intended) out of ten, so its not like I actively dislike the show. It just flashed brilliance in my face and then refused to follow it up.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 04:52:33 AM »
I wasn't able to appreciate the meta-humour, or I simply didn't find it funny, I don't know which, probably a mixture of both. I gave it a 5. I felt that to be slightly generous at the time.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
Thing is, the meta humor isn't supposed to be the entirety of the show.  It is still a magical girl show, with the meta stuff thrown in (mostly by Ruby) for extra punch.  "Raping maids" was utterly random and hilarious.

As far as the enemies go, yeah they were dumb AI, because that's exactly what they were.  The girls were never dealing with anything but manifestations of out of control power.  That should change in the next season.

I'm curious as to what jokes got stale, seeing as how most of the second half was serious business and brooding.  The lightheartedness went out the window in favor of drama.  Not a big fan of that part myself, but it wasn't enough to kill the show down to mediocrity.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 01:50:10 AM »
Thing is, the meta humor isn't supposed to be the entirety of the show.  It is still a magical girl show, with the meta stuff thrown in (mostly by Ruby) for extra punch.  "Raping maids" was utterly random and hilarious.
Yes, the maid rape was awesome. No denying that. Though, the thing is, the meta humour started to cross over into pandering territory later on, and that didn't work too well with the magical girl part of the show. This combination of self-awareness and pandering really kills the sense of adventure that I love(d) about mahou shoujo shows and just makes everything feel drab.
On a slightly tangential point, it seems that a few of the jokes later on came at the expense of characterisation. Cases in point: Miyu going yandere, Sella wanting to be a maid, and Sella complaining about her bust.

As far as the enemies go, yeah they were dumb AI, because that's exactly what they were.  The girls were never dealing with anything but manifestations of out of control power.  That should change in the next season.
I expected manifestations of out of control power to be, you know, aggressive. Saber and Berserker did a lot of standing around and doing nothing -too much if you ask me. Also, almost all of the attacking in the Berserker fight was being done by protagonists, plus Berserker doesn't dodge at all, and that just makes Berserker feel unintimidating despite him being a two-and-a-half metre tall giant.
We'll see how the second season fares in this regard. I'm pretty hopeful, since I know silver link can do it; they did it in the Caster fight to some extent.

I'm curious as to what jokes got stale, seeing as how most of the second half was serious business and brooding.  The lightheartedness went out the window in favor of drama.  Not a big fan of that part myself, but it wasn't enough to kill the show down to mediocrity.
Rin and Luvia constantly fighting, Tatusko spamming random, irrelevant pop culture references, magical girls having weird costumes(awesome in E01, less so later on, like Rin&Luvia vs Saber) are all examples. I have to search my memory for more, but then again, this show wasn't particularly high on the joke per second count.
As for the drama, what killed it for me was simply that it was boring.

I'll probably like this a lot more when S2 airs, since I really don't like this ending and I want to see it disregarded.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:05:38 AM by Pebble »

Offline Pebble

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
☆☆☆2wei!☆☆☆:

The difference between this and the pilot episode of season one was the feeling of a conventional idea -a mahou shoujo anime- playing out in an unconventional way. 2wei finds itself in the situation where it has already established its own set of conventions, which would be the referentiality, the loli☆yanderepe, and overall otaku-friendly bag of exploitative jokes and the like, and so it needs to break, exploit, or subvert them in some way to induce the same laughs as the earlier season's openers. This is where the first season was a success; it initially managed to make you think you were watching a mahou shoujo anime, but then spat in your face and had things progress in the most bizzare fashion possible, until it settled down squarely in the most bizzare of genres - otaku comedy.
This episode is, for one, predictable; it isn't pulling any of that face-spitting semi-subversive humour, and two, it doesn't progress much, let alone progress in a bizzare way. Hell, it spends a lot of time getting you familiar with goings on through overt exposition, some of which just reminds you that Ilya is a bit ... short on grey matter (Tatsuko barges in the classroom in July shouting 'ocean' with a swimming tube;Ilya is at loss). So if the appeal of season one's openers was OMG WTFF AM I WAHTCHING, the appeal of this opener is "look, leystritt in short shorts". Thats not cool, man. Go back to being bananas.

That means that the only thing this show is standing on right now is the promise of good action and, well, KuroIlya's design. Oh, and the animation has stepped up considerably, even though some effects, like the bog, are a bit fail.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »
2Wei 1:

The only question I have now is whether or not brown Illya will rape the maids.  Wait, this is Type Moon, of course she will.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 04:49:28 PM »
2wei 1:
I have heard "things" about this part of the series. Very 'NSFW' things.

"Things" beside, this episode was basically just a reintroduction with some hit and miss humor. My favorite moment probably being Rin telling Illya and Miyu to stop wasting time with over elaborate transformations. This series always did a good job with making fun of Mahou Shoujo cliches.

2wei 2:
Speaking of things....
2Wei 1:
The only question I have now is whether or not brown Illya will rape the maids.  Wait, this is Type Moon, of course she will.
Well she didn't rape the maids, but...

Well that was certainly a "thing" wasn't it?
And why is it that Silver Link seems to have twice the budget than Deen ever had?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:37:50 PM by MCAL »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 06:49:21 PM »
2:

DAMN. I thought Sakura Trick would have no competition this year. I was wrong. That was amazing.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline KS

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »
Maybe I'm just too focused on things I would think ought to actually matter, but could somebody (preferably who is not TIF) please explain to me why the internet always seems to lose it's shit whenever there's an episode of a scene in an anime that has two girls making out?  Also why does Silver Link seem particularly obsessed with showing this sort of thing?

Like I know exactly how I'm expected to react to this sort of thing and I know plenty of people are more than willing to play ball, but I chose not to on the principle of it:
a) being ****ing stupid
b) a cheap way to get peoples attention and shallow praises.

Straight up go **** yourselves Silver Link along with your uncreative pandering approach to comedy anime.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:58:27 PM by KS »

Offline SQA

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »
Maybe I'm just too focused on things I would think ought to actually matter, but could somebody (preferably who is not TIF) please explain to me why the internet always seems to lose it's shit whenever there's an episode of a scene in an anime that has two girls making out?  Also why does Silver Link seem particularly obsessed with showing this sort of thing?

Like I know exactly how I'm expected to react to this sort of thing and I know plenty of people are more than willing to play ball, but I chose not to on the principle of it:
a) being ****ing stupid
b) a cheap way to get peoples attention and shallow praises.

Straight up go **** yourselves Silver Link along with your uncreative pandering approach to comedy anime.

They actually toned it down as Illya kissed Miyu in what was Ep 1 in the Manga.  It was actually the first thing to happen in the manga.  (Just went to look it up)

The reasoning, however, is not all that complex to explain.  It just goes against the political message said about same-sex relationships (while still being constantly backed up by research work).  The short version is that it means the Women are sexually "adventurous" and more than willing to do a threesome.   Far less than a majority of women that have or had same-sex relationships stay exclusively with women.    This is the basic understanding that goes into the instinctual aspect.

Layered on top of it is a few other things.  The view that female sexual attraction is "pure", thus not directly involving a male doesn't change any status of the character.  Further, it's not showing competition for a specific male's attention.  (It's something of the anti-harem/"not attached to a male" sign, so to speak)   So, you end up with something of paradoxical signal: a "pure" woman that's more than willing to get freaky in the sheets.  Which is what the allure and utility is about.

Mind you, these are natural instincts and displays that aren't thought through by the audience.  You're not sitting there thinking about this.   We can point out similar aspects, in instinctual response, to all sorts of genre works.  They just work on other ones.  There's a reason the Love Triangle is such a staple of Female-targeted literature.  Twilight wasn't as MONSTER hit for no reason.  And we know that reason wasn't due to the objective quality of the writing. :)

Offline Pebble

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 12:39:02 AM »
2:

DAMMIT SHOW, YOU HAD ONE JOB, AND THAT WAS TO NEVER SHOW ME YOUR RENDITION OF IRISVIEL'S FACE EVER AGAIN, AND YOU, AAAARGH.

I really hate how much this show involves people standing around explaining stuff to other people. Who cares if Miyu is using a special dagger? The appearance of the dagger alone is information enough. Its crap like this that keeps bogging down these fights to 'budgeted, but mediocre'.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
Maybe I'm just too focused on things I would think ought to actually matter, but could somebody (preferably who is not TIF) please explain to me why the internet always seems to lose it's shit whenever there's an episode of a scene in an anime that has two girls making out?

Quote from: SQA
The reasoning, however, is not all that complex to explain.  It just goes against the political message said about same-sex relationships (while still being constantly backed up by research work).  The short version is that it means the Women are sexually "adventurous" and more than willing to do a threesome.   Far less than a majority of women that have or had same-sex relationships stay exclusively with women.    This is the basic understanding that goes into the instinctual aspect.

Layered on top of it is a few other things.  The view that female sexual attraction is "pure", thus not directly involving a male doesn't change any status of the character.  Further, it's not showing competition for a specific male's attention.  (It's something of the anti-harem/"not attached to a male" sign, so to speak)   So, you end up with something of paradoxical signal: a "pure" woman that's more than willing to get freaky in the sheets.  Which is what the allure and utility is about.

Mind you, these are natural instincts and displays that aren't thought through by the audience.  You're not sitting there thinking about this.   We can point out similar aspects, in instinctual response, to all sorts of genre works.  They just work on other ones.  There's a reason the Love Triangle is such a staple of Female-targeted literature.  Twilight wasn't as MONSTER hit for no reason.  And we know that reason wasn't due to the objective quality of the writing. :)

And now, you're getting my explanation, which is just the utterly dry Cliff's Notes version of what SQA said:

IT'S ****ING HOT!

Offline MCAL

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
3:
Shiro can create a harem without even trying it seems.

Actually found this episode quite interesting.

Offline SQA

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2014, 02:51:11 AM »
3:

Now we know, for certain, why Saito Chiwa is voicing Kuro.  Who can say no to a forceful Senjougahara? :)

Oh, but the "connected pain" curse.  I was laughing so hard at that. Plus everyone wants to bang Emiya.  Didn't see that one coming.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2014, 02:13:17 AM »
3:

THE TEDDY BEAR! IT BLINKS! IT IS ALIVE!

Offline MCAL

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »
4:
Anything plot related was pretty interesting to watch, but most of the humor fell flat for me. Felt like they were extending the episode too much.

Offline KS

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »
So is this show going to throw in a Yuri make out scene every single episode or what?  Is that pretty much it's angle?  I mean I know there's an audience for this (partly do to the fact that it's extremely vocal) but it just seems so trite and obvious to play these scenes.  I don't know what it is about yuri pandering that bothers me so much but it really does.  Maybe it's that people consistently have the expected reaction and yet I'm just so keenly aware of what I am apparently supposed to feel about it but don't that it just comes off as kind of obnoxious and a waste of time rather than at the very least narmish.  It's like you have this big license with these popular characters that you could be choosing to exploit in any particular way you want and maybe even possibly make a halfway watchable show out of and you choose to do it this way?  I could say something more specific about the Shinbo spawned group of "One Vision" directors that (including the man himself) pretty much run studios like Silver Link and Deen here and how they play these same lame cards over and over and over again to raw cheers and praises, but I'll just leave it at that.

On the plus side this show has me anticipating Fate/Stay Night UBW more and more because I'd like to see this brand get back to showing that it can actually be good in it's own right as opposed to just having to resort to overt pandering in order to stand out.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:24:45 AM by KS »

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »
It's weird that you still keep watching a show that you don't like and especially when you dropped the first season.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »
It's weird that you still keep watching a show that you don't like and especially when you dropped the first season.

Same breed of people who enjoy Dark Souls?

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »

I enjoyed Dark Souls but i kept pushing forward because i truly like the game. It's really hard at first because it have a steep learning curve but once you became good at it the game can be a walk in a park.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2014, 06:49:21 PM »

I enjoyed Dark Souls but i kept pushing forward because i truly like the game. It's really hard at first because it have a steep learning curve but once you became good at it the game can be a walk in a park.

I like Dark Souls and think it's a great game, I'm just saying....the inner masochist dwells in some of us.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »
5:
To be honest, Kuro hasn't done much to give me pity for her. Her repeating of coexistence between her and Illya being impossible is just as bad if not worse cause her actions have consequences. I'll see how I feel next episode.

The episode was fine, I suppose. Though I think its about time for the plot to move forward a little more.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 04:33:19 AM »
We're gonna get some awesome fight scenes next episode hopefully.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »
6:
Silver Link isn''t messing around when it comes to production values that's for sure.

And as expected of Iri, she brings forth the plot.

Offline SQA

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »
6:

That's one of the best uses of integrated Animation & 3D backgrounds since... the first season.  It adds some wonderful depth to the action of a fight.  Yes, it's pretty much going full 3rd Person Shooter mode, but it works quite well.

I also have to appreciate the unwritten rule that any major exposition in a Primarily Female Cast series is done in a large bath.  That never ceases to amuse me.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »
Where else do you want them to do it?  The KITCHEN?  You sexist pig!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
6:

Though it was neat to see some Nasuverse stuff from Fate meddle its way into the storyline, I also think it sucks.  The whole point of Prism Illya was to let a rather underutilized loli from the original universe have her own spin-off show as a magical girl in a completely different yet still familiar setting.  Instead, we get what appears to be an alternate universe thing where the key difference is that Illya wasn't used as a vessel for the Holy Grail summoning (something I thought Irisviel was supposed to be, not Illyasviel), which set off the most recent war amongst the mage families.  Despite the obvious nods and winks to the other Fate realities, there wasn't a whole lot of direct interaction until now, and somehow that bugs me.  It also makes me wonder whether or not Illya from the SN storyline was only a little antagonistic bitch because she let out her inner Kuro.  Hell, maybe this all actually makes sense and I'm the one who's the stupid.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 03:00:50 AM »
  It also makes me wonder whether or not Illya from the SN storyline was only a little antagonistic bitch because she let out her inner Kuro.  Hell, maybe this all actually makes sense and I'm the one who's the stupid.

You're right at the fact that this is an alternate universe considering Prisma Ilya is considered to be "canon" in the Nasuverse. Kuro is basically the personality of SN Ilya if the events during  F/Z didn't happened. Kiritsugu and Iri chose a different path than their versions in F/Z and through what ever means managed to temporarily seal away Ilya's existence as an Einzbern Homunculus. It seems the 4th Holy Grail didn't come to pass and considering the Einzbern are not around anymore, there is a high chance that Kiritsugu along with Iri's help exterminated the Einzbern family.

As for SN Ilya, she have her own reasons why she is a little antagonistic to Shirou. Remember that Kerry promised to come back and take back Ilya but he didn't fulfill his promise then somehow she heard that Kiritsugu adopted an another child. You can imagine how she feels after hearing that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:05:59 AM by Redgrave »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2014, 03:40:51 AM »
Considering how parallel universes are a plot point in Fate, literally everything can be considered canon. Especially here, when Zeltrech makes an appearance (he's the guy in the chair whose face you never see, the guy next to Waver) and the show is good with its portrayal of magic of the Type-Moon verse as a whole.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2014, 04:21:03 AM »
I personally only consider what was written by Nasu as canon. Even with the plot of parallel universes. Prisma Ilya contradict the canon in how the magic of parallel universes works (The Second Magic). Lenghty analysis have been done on the subject by the japanese fandom.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2014, 04:38:22 AM »
As far as i'm concerned the only works that are not canon in the Nasuverse are Canaan and Fate/Prototype. Even Extra, Apocrypha and Strange Fake were all canon in the Nasuverse. It's like Marvel and DC only Type moon's Nasuverse is a lil less convoluted.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2014, 04:48:12 AM »
In the end only The Word Of God (Nasu) knows what is canon and what is not.

But, except Fate/Zero, only works written or planned by Nasu are officially considered canon. Others may adquired the canonical status in the future, but not now.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
7:

Love how Iri puts herself even above Kiritsugu.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »
7:
The first half was really unnecessary and wasn't even that funny, so I guess it was good Silver Link switched the order of the chapters. The Onee-chan part was much better, if only because of the ending. Have to say I wouldn't want those people as my big sister either... Okay maybe not Touko.

Bazette finally appears next episode and I have to say she brought some considerable hype from the preview alone.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »
Wuzzamadda MCAL?  Not big on loli panties and cliche'd 'women belong in the kitchen' stories?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »
8:

So, Luvia and Rin basically exist to allow whatever new enemy the opportunity to show that they're formidable and badass before Illya, etc have their shot.  In other words, they are Krillin and Yamcha.

Offline SQA

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
8:

So, Luvia and Rin basically exist to allow whatever new enemy the opportunity to show that they're formidable and badass before Illya, etc have their shot.  In other words, they are Krillin and Yamcha.

I'd say they're are prettier versions of Worf. :)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »
Hey, Worf got redeemed in DS9.  One of the writers there remembered he is supposed to be a pretty good and tough warrior.

Well, okay, he's a pussy for Dax but who isn't?

Offline MCAL

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
8:
Auguste is one hell of a butler too.

It's safe to say Bazette lived up to the considerable hype surrounding her. Rin and Luvia got beaten pretty easily, but they (Mostly Luvia) at least put up somewhat a decent fight.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2014, 05:43:57 PM »
9:
Bazette really is a freaking monster. And now an Anti-Noble Phantasm weapon?

The fight scenes were thrilling. The CG was even integrated better this time.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2014, 04:21:16 AM »
9:

Is Kuro lacking on prana or something? Why can't she just trace Nine-Lives then be done with Bazett? I mean the attack is like Kenshin's Kuzu Ryu Sen only in a much stronger and bigger scale, and Bazett had no way of blocking all of that nine consecutive strikes even with her anti-noble phantasm thingy.

Hiroyama sure buffed Bazett in this series though.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:30:32 AM by Redgrave »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2014, 11:52:25 AM »
9:

I don't know who Bazette is in relation to the Type Moon universe, but I will say that she has incredible willpower not to resist all that glorious Illya panty shotting going on.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
I quite liked how the Bazette fight ended. It would have been a serious suspension of disbelief if Illya could actually defeat Bazette, so with a little teamwork (Guess Rin and Luvia weren't completely useless after all) they at least got Bazette to back down, although I'm sure she'll find a way to undo Rin's curse seal very soon.

As for the eight card, it could really only be Gilgamesh. Don't see it being anyone else.

I'll give this part a 6/10.

Now the wait for the second part begins. Winter 2015 would be nice. That way we get a years worth of Fate material.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2014, 10:20:29 AM »
10:

So, I watched the OAV that came out a while ago after this and realized something.  The previous Illya series was very self aware and added quite a bit of parody, mostly in the form of Ruby's snarking genre savvy comments.  That seems to have completely disappeared this season.  What was once lampshaded as blatant pandering and loli fanservice more or less gave up the parody and just played it straight.  Kuro alone has more overt sexiness than the other characters, but they do plenty with Miyu and Illya as well.  Considering the sex pot that is Irisviel hanging around, not to mention Liz and Sella and Taiga, you'd think there'd still be some room for obvious parodying and self-depreciating humor.  But, nope, gotta sell them BDs I guess, so you can't make the audience feel bad about their fetishes.

In any event, we're getting more of this later on in the year.  They confirmed it with a rather boisterous advertisement at the end there.

Offline KS

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »
Honest question here, does Silver Link have anything else in it's repertoire as a calling card besides overwrought scenes of underage girls making out because I'm not convinced they're anything other than a glorified hentai studio that keeps things just softcore enough to get limited TV contracts.  I will never understand why people hail this series as any sort of triumph let alone good at all.  I mean I have my qualms with the Fate franchise, but it should be well above this sort of content, yet only ufoTABLE seems to have done any sort of good with it at all to date.  I feel like I'm commenting after a lost cause here because people just LOVE their yuri and exhibitionism nowadays, but this sort of shit and how it's championed and promoted is what turns me off of a lot of modern anime.  Shin Oonuma might honestly be worse than Shinbo to me, I might actually have to think about it.

Seriously though it legitimately does irk me that garbage like this exists and is considered top quality nowadays.  ::)  At least I just got a few good bits of news today though that continues to add to my renewed positivism about anime, I just think shit like this should be left to OVAs personally and that having two girls making out on camera shouldn't be a solution for actually having to do something with a concept, popular brand or no and will leave it at that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:23:25 PM by KS »

Offline SQA

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2015, 08:53:38 PM »
I haven't watched the most recent episode yet, but season 1 was legitimately quite funny.  And there have been a few good fight scenes.  But, yeah, it's nothing special to really write home about.

Offline KS

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »
I haven't watched the most recent episode yet, but season 1 was legitimately quite funny.  And there have been a few good fight scenes.  But, yeah, it's nothing special to really write home about.

I don't recall Silver Link being so fixated on the Shinbo style indulgent fanservice shot or scenes of girls making out bfore but then I could say the same for Deen who also seem to have decide that that's the direction they need to go...that or whatever fetish Pupa is going for.  I remember really quite liking Watamote for its black humor for example and then ever since that Strike The Blood show which liked to fixate on shots of the MC sucking the middle school heroines blood and moaning in ecstasy the impression I get off of them and their Shinbo trained head is "Behold for I am Shin Oonuma, everything must now stop so that I can indulge myself and a certain audience in these fetishes of mine".  Hell Yuri Kuma Arashi showed they didnt even really need Oonuma to turn me off.  Not that I've ever been a huge Silver Link fan but I was okay with some of their older stuff which seemed like quirky fun as opposed to self indulgence that makes the likes of Shaft look reserved almost in comparison.

Anyway its a spinoff series, but like Christ. :o  I hope people that would complain about certain things like Rin Tohsaka fanservice in UBW (Looking at ANN) see that it could be a lot worse.

Offline SQA

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2015, 09:18:05 PM »
Oh, Silver Link has a major "SHAFTling" on staff, Oonuma Shin.  That's when they started having the Shinbo influence.    They also did the animation for two of Ikuhara's works.  So we're not talking supremely high-targeted art.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm not sure if I would point the finger at Silver Link for this show's make out scenes, the manga was just as raunchy and Silver Link has faithfully adapted it for better (for me) or for worse (for you). We can certainly question its choice in what shows to adapt, but it's not like they changed the show or anything to add more yuri into the mix (though that OVA leak...)

Offline SQA

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
1: Yeah, they've really gone from "fan service via references to other Fate series" to "uncomfortable fan service" pretty hard.  Plus, way too much talk of castration in this episode.   Though Tatsuko's hilarious "summer" jitters were just that: hilarious.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2015, 10:28:40 PM »
2:

Fanservice or not, we're two episodes in without a single magical girl henshin sequence.  I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

Offline SQA

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2015, 03:33:22 AM »
3:

Well, Mimi broke.  It wasn't that interesting.  But the Berserker joke was a solid payoff.

Offline KS

« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2015, 11:10:55 AM »
Lol so this show introduces the crucial importance of Yaoi to the mix to add the the whole Yuri obsession angle thing it seems.  What's next a serious discussion on the merits of idols?  An episode about the pivotal nature of eroge? best girls? light novels? doujin circles?  Will Illya and friends go to Comiket?  More tribute damn well needs to be paid to otaku related things, this is summer season after all and it's still a good 4-5 months to Winter.  The comedies just too much and the laughs are just coming too quickly.  Remember it's all funny because it's referencing things otaku and fujoshi like.   ;)

Yeah in all seriousness Japanese comedy will always be the pits, nothing that can be done about it really.  I think the thing they probably do best sometimes is the whole random surrealist humor (especially big in the 90's) or visual gags (Gintama is kind of good at this) but you won't be seeing much of that executed well this season outside of maybe Gintama.  Things they don't do so well IMO is the whole lets push the envelope with crude sexual comedy and fanservice and otaku culture in jokes which just isn't funny to me really because a) it's overdone and too much of a frequent fallback and b) I'm not 12.

TL;DR: Fujoshi aren't a source of humor, they're just kind of annoying for the most part really.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2015, 10:30:53 PM »
I'm just wondering how long they're going to persist in dawdling with random filler type episodes before they get back to the plot.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2015, 04:17:52 PM »
4:

Well, here's a hint, it wasn't episode 4 either and episode 5 is looking like another one.  So yeah.

But, at least someone was listening to me bitching about there being no magical girl shit happening all season, because we at least got some magical girl shit happening.  Granted, it was STUPID magical girl happening, but it was still magical girl happening.

Also, where's the photos of Irisviel in her wedding dress?  Of all the garbage in this episode, I wanted to see that the most.  Ripoff!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
5:

Ruby is right, dammit.  The irony is that Prism Illya, whether manga form, TV form, or OAV form, hasn't had any problems whatsoever delivering us copious amounts of lolicon fanservice, thus, when Ruby wants it the most, and when it is most expected, it doesn't happen.

Looks like next episode they're FINALLY going to get to the point.  Maybe.  At the very least, I hope they explain why Kuro is even still around.  She's been nearly worthless as a character since her arc ended last season.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2015, 10:06:31 PM »
6:

Finally getting to the plot!  Finally getting to the plot!

next episode...

Offline SQA

« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2015, 11:59:18 PM »
6:

Finally getting to the plot!  Finally getting to the plot!

next episode...

The problem with it being all loli characters is you can't make the more classic "plot" jokes about the series.

Unless Shirou's junk counts.  For most of the cast, I guess it does.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2015, 01:36:39 AM »
There's always Luvia's jugs, Rin's zettai ryouiki, Irisviel's ultra MILFness, and Liz's everything if you need some non disturbing fanservice.

Ha ha ha ha ha!  Oh I'm so silly.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2015, 05:00:29 PM »
6-7:
It's absolutely hilarious how much better this show is when it remembered it has a plot. Like you could literally feel this difference when the second half of episode six kicked in. Won't make up for the first half though.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »
9:

PLOT!  PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT!

Also, I wonder who that mysterious 8th card really is.  I just can't figure it out.  If only there were some clue from the original Fate universe that could help.  Like, anything in there about a mysterious 8th competitor who shared the same class as an already summoned servant and spammed a whole bunch of swords and stuff as his main attack.  If only.

I got nothin'.  No idea who that is.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2015, 04:36:24 PM »
9:

Illya touched his wee-wee.

Offline SQA

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2015, 11:56:25 PM »
9:

Previews suggest that Gilgamesh will be even more annoying as a child.  That doesn't surprise me.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 01:56:10 AM »
I don't buy it.  In what possible way could Gilgamesh get MORE annoying?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2015, 12:59:08 AM »
10:

Actually I didn't find this Gilgamesh annoying so much as unnecessary.  He certainly has his normal counterpart's arrogance, but beyond that he was about as milquetoast about everything as possible.  He felt more like something that was there just to reveal some plot points rather than a real character.  He then cordially removes himself to the monster that his other half became because I don't know, he just did it because.

Anywhoo... wrap this stuff up next episode, will ya?

Offline MCAL

« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »
Drei 2:
Kirei as a Mapo Tofu chef going "Yorokobe, Shoujo!" was probably the best Fate related joke this series has had.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2016, 10:01:01 PM »
2:

Kiriei is evil, no matter what he does.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
Drei 3:
Young or old, Gilgamesh has still got it going on.

Online Gadget

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
Gill-kun can pull a hot spring from his  Noble Phantasm. It's more practical than all the weapons he pulled.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2016, 03:06:12 PM »
Drei 5:
When it isn't Fate related, the humor in this show just really falls flat.

The buildup to the Darius reveal was pretty well done though.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2016, 06:34:43 PM »
I don't know if the humor works or not, but Illya keeping with Ruby's pace that all they were dealing with was "a butt" was kind of funny.  Claiming it was a "cheeky butt" was obviously a subtitling choice, but the pun was appreciated.

Online Gadget

« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
Rin Tohsaka in maid uniform!!! That's enough for me.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »
Drei 7:
Now THIS was funny.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
Drei 8:
The fight between Illya-Bear and Rin/Luvia was pretty boring, but it definitely picked up once Angelica entered the scene.

And the Fate parallels continue...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2016, 12:00:20 AM »
8:

While the bear antics were pretty fun, I still don't care that these ****ers are the supposed good guys of this world.  They're trying to wax philosophical using the ends to justify the means, but at the end of the day their methods are heinous.  You can put lipstick on a pig if you want, but it's still a pig, no matter how much you insist it is Marylin Monroe.

Online Gadget

« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2016, 12:49:50 AM »
The Ainsworth may be using ends to justify the means, but they are not repentance about it. Even in Gintama, Gintoki was plaque with guilt for killing his master just to save his fellow student. The means does justify the ends, but he paid the price in guilt. None seen from the Ainsworth.

And Tanaka will be some deus ex machina.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2016, 09:44:38 PM »
The ends not justifying the means is a moral and ethical implication.  If you have guilt, then the ends didn't justify the means.  If you recognize your means were horrible and terrible, then you're not justifying yourself.

The Ainsworths have no apologies for what they're doing, because they're convinced they're right, which is what a lot of people without an opposing perspective believe.  It is what leads people to make horrible decisions.  Having someone question your means allows you to understand the consequences of your actions.

Illya is going to be that question, because she's he show's heroine.  Somehow, she's going to be more morally justified and will somehow save Miyu and their world using a totally different means the Ainsworths were blind to, because of their single minded devotion.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2016, 01:20:17 PM »
9:

Somehow, she's going to be more morally justified and will somehow save Miyu and their world using a totally different means the Ainsworths were blind to, because of their single minded devotion.

Uh huh.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »
Drei 9:
Poor Erica is really going to need intense therapy sessions when this is all over methinks.

Online Gadget

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »
Drei 9:
Poor Erica is really going to need intense therapy sessions when this is all over methinks.

I do not agree with you. She is ok. Her upbringing is normal.(Using Erica logic.)
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]   Go Up