Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 12:40:24 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA  (Read 21070 times)

Offline SQA

Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »
Well, this is probably a first: a Meta Mahou Shoujo series.  So much meta humor.  If they'd actually had her watching Madoka, it'd have made it even better.

Next up: Budget.  They might have spent as much as some series on that first episode.  And considering they have Oonuma Shin onboard directing, it also has some SHAFTian flare to the visuals, as well.

This apparently is a manga series, so we'll see if it sticks to that or decides to go with something else.

Either way, this sucker is going to Sell, Sell and then Sell some more.  It actually looks like a fun watch, at the moment, let's hope it keeps up.

Oh, and Ruby is a complete jerk, though voiced by someone other than I thought.  I thought it was Dekomori from Chunnibyou doing the voice.  Sounds like it, but that's apparently too Meta.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:55:21 AM »
1:

OH GAWD... THE META... THE META... THEY... THEY CAN'T FIT ANYMORE IN THERE!  IT HURTS... SUFFOCATING!... BUT... BUT... IT FELLS SO RIGHT!

Okay seriously, this rocked the party that rocks the pinata.  I would be amused, but somehow not surprised, if this surpasses any other Fate anime production to date as the most popular and highest selling.  There's just so much here for everybody to adore.  I mean, Tenchi Muyo tried and ****ing failed miserably to run with the Pretty Sammy stuff, so the precedent for doing a spinoff that goes completely into left field has not been kind.  But this... egads I couldn't... I just... I... I... I'M COMING SOOOOOOON!

Got unserious for a second.  Hang on.  Rebooting serious:

It is gorgeous to look at, the humor is ****ing hysterical, and there's enough Fate related Easter eggs to keep a Type-Mooninite happy.  But that would have just made this another Carnival Phantasm, and they needed to go wider.  So here comes the meta on... god damned everything.  Obviously, the magical girl genre takes it in the yaoi-hole a lot harder than others, but there's still plenty of deep dicking to go around.  I particularly loved the Ruby snark on magical girls needing to be lolis, and the henshin poses and "angles" were "perfect".  Good God, I thought the stick had been taken over by every pedotastic otaku on the planet simultaneously.

To get nitpickity and crotchety, I will mention a few other things just because I ****ing feel like it.

* Shirou was not dense enough.  We were at lead here.  Shirou is more of a brown dwarf.
* Until they said she was adopted, I couldn't have told you she was.  I mean, I noticed that mom wasn't Irie, but the hair and the eyes and the... HOLY SHIT CHECK OUT THE TITS ON THAT OLDER SISTER!
* Illya is probably the first mahou shoujo to henshin in a furo.  God damn I'm a weaboo.
* Rin doing that ****ing "I ask you, are you my master?" pose... wait this wasn't a bad thing.
* Though I don't get what the point was of her having a little rumble with the Freshly Minted Prism Illya.  I mean, if she's just going to give up and deal with it anyway... Oh wait, she's tsundere.  Hah!
* JESUS CHRIST!  IT'S A LION SQUEEKIE!  GET IN THE BATH!

I'm not really nitpicking am I?  Shit, I must like this.  A lot.  I'm deranged.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
/looks at TIF's avatar.  Look at text.  Back at Avatar.  Back to text.

You just has a Tomoko moment.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
1: Einzberns are hot.

I have never seen a more gorgeous or funny magical girl fantasy meta moe comic parody mishmash as this. Shows like this should suck. Why doesn't this?

Offline KS

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
1: Einzberns are hot.

I have never seen a more gorgeous or funny magical girl fantasy meta moe comic parody mishmash as this. Shows like this should suck. Why doesn't this?

I only ever really liked Irisviel's design much.  Ilya is just plain creepy and unpleasant and not to mention loli.  Maybe Heaven's Feel can repair my image of her but she's definitely not high up on the list of Type/Moon characters for me which doesn't help this show much either.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »
Yo, HAVE YOU SEEN
THE TITS ON THAT OLDER SISTER!

The red eyes/white hair combo has always been one of my more twisted fancies.

Offline FuurinKazan

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »

I quite liked this, though I probably haven't seen enough from the magical girl genre to fully appreciate the meta content here.

So I was wondering, since I haven't seen Fate/Zero yet, how much am I missing here?

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
So I was wondering, since I haven't seen Fate/Zero yet, how much am I missing here?

Nothing. The two have practically nothing to do with each other and whatever characters may be the "same" aren't really the same characters in actuality.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »
Aside from the character names, a few Fate based themes (the names they used for the Card functions match the "Class Types" used for each Heroic Spirit), and a couple of inside jokes (The pullback shot of Rin standing and pointing towards the collapsed [and nude] Illya is a direct scene taken from several Fate anime and games), there isn't anything here that requires extra viewing.

Indeed, and this might be a plot point later, when I mentioned that I had a hard time separating Illya from the rest of the family I thought maybe we were seeing some kind of new Einzbern incarnation, but noticed immediately that her mother wasn't Irisviel and she had no sister.  Indeed, when they revealed she was the adopted one (not the noticeably out of place orange haired Shirou), I just decided not to worry about it.  Knowledge of the Fate universe might actually get in the way, so you're better off.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:22:44 PM »
2:

So, the "source of power" items in the future all need to be meta trolls.  This series is freaking hilarious, in between the times it's actually serious.  It's a really nice blend.  Even if this is a Fate spin off series, it's really very good.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 01:03:13 PM »
Late as hell, but whatever.

2: At times, this show has me laughing at how ridiculous mahou shoujo series are. At others, it makes me want to get all of cardcaptor sakura and watch it for nostalgia's sake(It was probably the second anime I was exposed to, right after pokemon). Thats a pretty great achievement.

Meta shows usually have me constantly worried I'm not getting the references. I did catch the Kenshin one though.
I cant get enough of the OP and that shot of Ilya standing in the Penguindrum pose will probably be my wallpaper for the rest of the year. For me, this is tied with Love Lab for comedy of the season.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
3: We run through the entire gauntlet of mahou shoujo cliches. This episode wasn't able to make me laugh at it though, but ah hell. Its pretty, it has loli-shots and its got the promise of more midnight mirror-world action next week. What more could I ask for?

Also, I listened to the OP until I went deaf.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 09:19:12 AM »
4:

That was frickin' awesome. It wasn't too cool at the beginning but the quality really shot up when everyone started pulling out the big guns.
Ooo, and the death sequence for the villain this episode was a lot like Eva's Angels. Come to think of it, the story setup in this is actually quite similar to Eva. Makes me wonder it it was intentional. And it looks like Black saber is up next. Moar badassery incoming.

EDIT: Since I'm not watching Symphogear G, and what I hear of it quite resembles what I'm seeing here, I'm wondering which one of the two has better fight sequences.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:26:23 AM by Pebble »

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts
    • Funky_Dealer's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 07:43:39 PM »
2-4:

I don't know why I waited to catch up to this, being a TM nut. The production quality here is amazing, and all the meta is tongue-in-cheek. They kind of overdo the mahou shoujo stuff at times like in episode 3, but Taiga's reaction to all of it was still worth it. Then there's episode 4, those battles, that nice story progression, and that older Waver cameo... damn it, I really waited too long.

Quote from: Pebble
Ooo, and the death sequence for the villain this episode was a lot like Eva's Angels.

Gae Bolg and the Lance of Longinus do look very similar, not to mention that both have the tendency to be thrown at stuff a bunch.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »
5:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by this battle.

Sure, somewhat long talking between attacks and a sense that the opponent is just waiting while the Main characters discuss, explain and prep their attacks is pretty common, but that isn't the problem; in fact, this episode almost circumvented this problem by making Black Saber a tank and giving her hostages(Though that fell apart pretty quickly). The problem is that I couldn't feel the fury at all. Since she isn't particularly fast and was easily dodged, Saber Alter needed to be genuinely terrifying somehow for the fight to be better than average, but she wasn't, so it wasn't.

A better howl, screen-filling attacks, or a scary-fast long-range grab/pull attack would have done wonders. Safe-zones just ruin fights.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All   Go Up