Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

November 18, 2017, 10:36:27 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui  (Read 12546 times)

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2013, 03:19:56 AM »
Ep 11

Oh God, that ending was adorable.  Makes you think that maybe, just maybe, there is hope for Tomoko after all.  Or, at the very least, people who are willing to feel sorry for her.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
I think that already exists, SK.  Tomoko's cousin turns into this by the end of her episode, and then there were those two girls who were extremely reluctant to hand a job over to Tomoko.  I kept wondering about that particular scene.  I don't think it was just them creeped out by Tomoko's behavior.  They genuinely looked like it would be a REALLY bad idea to give this job to Tomoko.  It took her insisting to get them to agree, and even then they sent a couple of dudes to help her out.  The student council girl (voiced by Ai "Kafuka" Nonaka at that) figured out Tomoko rather quickly, and put that all together to throw her a bone, albeit anonymously.

The question mark I have is Yuu-chan.  I don't know if she's not aware of Tomoko's situation, or if she is and deliberately saying nothing so as to not make Tomoko feel worse.  She's still genuine friends with our heroine, and will never leave her side no matter how popular she gets at her new school, but I'm still unsure what she knows or thinks.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
12:

Why not just call the episode "Since I'm not popular... we don't really know how to end this one cour show, so **** it."
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »
Why not just call the episode "Since I'm not popular... we don't really know how to end this one cour show, so **** it."

Does that mean I shouldn't start watching this?

Offline Garuda

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »

The ending wasn't great, but definitely didn't fail. It was also rather hopeful, given the comment of Imae, Yuu running after Tomoko, and that she understood the futility of desperately seeking to be popular.

Overall it was a good anime, the first part was actually funny, and there was some smart content, for example with the demystification of clichés such as rape and other topics dealt with humor. The second part was certainly less funny, but it wasn't necessarily worse. It corresponded to a kind of fall that really portrayed the loneliness and suffering in which Tomoko was lost. It was more embarrassing, as with episode 7 when Tomoko met the Seiyuu, and then was caught by her mother. The last part was sadder and/or more emotional too.

Otherwise, I don't know if it's the best female performance in a leading role this year, but Tomoko's seiyuu was great, and the opening/ending were very cool and fitting. It's a 7/10 for me.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2013, 05:29:25 AM »
Ep 12

I think there are some things this anime could have done better (ending included), but the characterization of Tomoko was just incredible.  Here is someone who was just this utter failure as a person, who was often unfortunate, yet so much of her misfortune was self-inflicted, as well as selfish and egotistical... and yet you couldn't help but feel sorry for her.  Constantly.  Obviously Tomoko exists as a caricature of someone who is very deluded and self-centred... someone whose delusions have been allowed to fester due to her lack of human interaction and complete lack of self-esteem, but she doesn't feel that far off a particularly extreme case of social anxiety disorder.  The strained ties with families, the readiness to cut off potential friends before they get too close and see the real you, the general social awkwardness around strangers, the horribly skewed worldview... I'm sure all of us can sympathize with at least one or more of the issues Tomoko dealt with (rarely successfully) during this anime.

As sympathetic as I thought she was, I don't feel bad about laughing at Tomoko.  As the school of satire teaches us, sometimes the world gets so absurd and oppressive that laughing at something is the only reasonable way to deal with it.  But more often I found myself cringing at her.  In a sympathetic way, because I can easily see some of the worst aspects of myself in her.  I love that so much of her reminiscing in this episode turned into a massive session of self-cringing and regret.  I've done that occasionally too.

7/10 from me.  Easily the best thing Oonuma Shin has directed since ef - Memories.  Easily his best comedy too.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »
12:

The ending wasn't perfect, but it was pretty consistent. Definitely reading the manga now.

I'd give this a 7/10 as well (And by this I mean it was a pretty consistent 7/10). Easily my favorite Silver Link show, not that there was much competition.

EDIT: I'd definitely give the award to Kitta Izumi (Tomoko) for best female seiyuu performance of the year. I can't imagine Tomoko is an easy character to voice, but somehow I feel that Izumi-san has always been nailing it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:59:03 PM by MCAL »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up