Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 08:07:27 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The World God Only Knows III: Goddesses  (Read 6783 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: The World God Only Knows III: Goddesses
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 05:02:25 PM »
I'm with SK.  Yes, this was a monumental moment for Keima's development as a character, and yet it was an issue for all of... what... five minutes?  Tenri does a few magic tricks and it is back to the grind?

It wouldn't have hurt to have Keima agonize over the situation for a bit longer, and it certainly wouldn't have hurt to show Chihiro's side of things.  I've said before this feels rushed, and this episode felt it the hardest.  Something this significant is treated with all the time and care of a fly swatter smashing a cricket.  I felt incredibly bad for both characters, but by the end of the episode, I felt a lot less bad for Keima and wanted to sock him upside the head.  That isn't Keima's fault, but the fault of the writing / directing.

Instead, we have another major plot development introduced, another swerve with Keima's teacher, and then back to conquering Ayumi.  God I hope this destroys him.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »
10:

These episodes have had the emotional punch of a mantis eating a ladybug.  The one character in this show deserving of a bit of sympathy and they (read: Keima) treat her like none of her shit matters.  I suppose in the grand scheme of the situation Keima can be forgiven for being abrupt about getting the job done, but **** all that because we have a very sudden plot development to deal with.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
11:

This is the most ridiculous thing I've watched in months.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline SQA

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »
11:

This is the most ridiculous thing I've watched in months.

Because Keima is such a baller. :)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 03:18:23 AM »
11:

Somewhere 2/3rds the way into this episode it went completely dildos.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 02:54:57 AM »
Ep 12

I can't quite put my finger on what went wrong with this finale and the season in general, but that just felt underwhelming.  Maybe I set my expectations too high after a relatively strong second season and first few episodes, but there was something about this that just didn't work.  Erratic pacing, misplaced emphasis, missed opportunities, etc, etc.  In almost everything that happened, the set up was more satisfying than the resolution.  For a show that puts so much emphasis on "endings", that's not how it's supposed to be.

5/10 for this.  I was left wanting more than it delivered.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
That's what happens when you cram way too much material into an adaption. The manga felt a lot more poignant at the end than the anime, which just failed to elicit the same kind of emotion whatsoever. Too bad really.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »
I kept thinking there was more that was supposed to be done between Keima and Chihiro.  They spent an awful lot of time in this episode giving her some great face time, and yet... I felt like they couldn't care less at the same time.

Weird.

Anyway, there's only so much TWGOK can do considering the plot devices it runs with.  I mean, the show is about the greatest pimp in history bagging girls left and right all as part of some real-life version of his 2d games.  The **** can you do with that?  First it was random lost souls, now it's going back to the well to revisit some of the favorite previous characters.  Beyond Keima bagging chicks and having virtually no consequences for his actions, there's not much else here to **** with.  It isn't like Keima is going to whip out a sword and start going badass or anything.

Offline XRavsterX

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »
Episode 12

The device that this series works on (dating sim) just isn't going to make a series with a good story. Establishing connections over and over isn't going to leave the audience emotionally invested into the characters - the KeimaxChihiro matching came completely out of the blue and feels false. I mean, when Chihiro first said that she liked Keima since January (?), there was never any explanation why. Then the same happens again for Keima - once is passable, but twice is lazy.

Throughout the entire series, I was left laughing and rolling my eyes at the plot developments and supposed drama and danger. When TWGOK went back to its roots, it's a pleasure to watch, as it ever was. But, episodes 9-12 just accelerated the plot to a ridiculous speed. I get that there's only so much you can show in 12 episodes, but even then, the way in which Vintage was shown was silly - first episode (or maybe 3rd iunno), Vintage appears and stabs Kanon. Fine, okay. But then they just disappear. Gone. Poof. Vanish. Then they reappear right near when Kanon's time limit is coming to a close. They just didn't appear a constant threat, and Box-cutter Girl just reinforced that perception.

It was okay, but it strayed away from what I like about TWGOK - gaming nerd picking up chicks like in his games. Why bring plot into some good-humoured fun?

5/10 - if it had contained a Keima-gaming episode, like the previous 2 seasons, that would have bumped it up to a 6/10.   
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up