Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 12:42:44 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 009 Re:Cyborg (movie)  (Read 916 times)

Offline SQA

009 Re:Cyborg (movie)
« on: June 08, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
So, it's a movie.

009 Cyborg is a classic Manga & Anime series that I'd heard of but never seen.  Not sure if anyone has seen the 2001 series, but I hadn't heard great things about that one.

Now, this is Kamiyama Kenji's take on the franchise. (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex & Eden of the East)  And, frankly, I'm pretty confused.  Now, the subs I watched we're pretty good, but parts of this seem to have gotten Bakemongatari or Joshiraku levels of complex Japanese.  Which makes sense as there's a lot of talk of Religion and Philosophy at various points.   And that's the confusion.  I don't know how to take the "End" of the movie, as I'm not sure I quite got what they were going for. 

That's what would hold me off on giving a rating, as I don't know if I can fully trust my understanding of the writing.  Part of it comes across as Kamiyama (directed and wrote it) searching for God, but there was a Justice bit that popped up as well.  And there's an entire Angels motif that really doesn't feel like it's concluded properly.  Which is actually the bigger problem.  I can't quite work out how the ending is supposed to work and that makes analyzing the entire thing a problem.

That's the negatives.  The major plus is that it looks great.  Fight scenes are awesome and well done (and did they use the trooper model from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within?), the graphics in a few places are just awesome.  And Saito Chiwa playing a sexy French cyborg isn't what I'd call a bad listen.

So, all told, I think I need a rewatch with a different script (the one I watched was actually quite good, but this is complex enough, in parts, that even a Pro would have some trouble) to really come down with much.  I liked what they were up to, but the ending leaves me really confused.

Offline SQA

Re: 009 Re:Cyborg (movie)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:58:14 PM »
If anyone ends up watching this movie:

http://otakumode.com/news/51779be4611d1f077f0014f6/Interview-with-Kenji-Kamiyama-Director-of-the-Movie-ldquo-009-Re-Cyborg-rdquo-1-4

It's a 4 part translated interview.  Apparently the original Manga ended on the Mangaka's death... while the team was fighting God.  I kind of didn't know that and does explain the setting for the movie.  I'm still confused how they answered that question in the movie, but it might be worth a rewatch later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up