Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 02:25:23 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Phoenix Wright (Series)  (Read 8330 times)

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

Phoenix Wright (Series)
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:32:52 PM »
Has anyone here played the Phoenix Wright games? If so, what would you guys rate the writing in general? It's been so long since I've played any, so I wouldn't be able to give an accurate rating to the series, personally.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

Re: Phoenix Wright (Series)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »
A slight disclaimer: I have played the first game 3 or 4 times, the second game 5-7 times, the third game 4-5 times, the fourth game 3-4 times and Investigations once (because I can't find it anywhere). Considering these games have no actual replay value whatsoever, I think I may be a little biased in favor of this series. Just warning you.

Though I could not tell you what my favorite movie, anime or book is, I could tell you without a second thought that Phoenix Wright is my personal favorite gaming series, period. It has one of the best localizations of any game that came out West, simply by virtue of being continuously witty, funny, and most of all engaging. It also creates a wonderful cast of memorable characters that admittedly lack depth, but make up for it with their bursting personalities. Most importantly, there is a certain kind of thrill that you can only get from a good courtroom drama of cornering and finally convicting the real criminal and setting your client free that makes me keep coming back to the series again and again. Though the series certainly has plenty of flaws, particularly in gameplay (the occasional answer that you couldn't be able to guess without a walkthrough) and in the actual story (which slogs when it tries to create any sort of message or commentary), it doesn't stop it from being one of the best series in gaming, bar none.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:12:15 PM »
I really should start lurking in other sections of the forums. Can't believe I didn't see this topic...

I have played every single game more than six times and I have played Trials and Tribulations nine times. It's one of my favourite series of video games ever made and I'm always re-playing through the franchise. I have already pre-ordered Gyakuten Saiban 5 from Japan and am eagerly awaiting it.

How can I express my love for this series? To keep it simple - I started learning Japanese because of Investigations 2. Learning a language is a huge dedication. There were countless moments in my life when I wanted to start doing Japanese due to my love in anime/otaku culture, however I never got enough motivation to start. When Capcom said they will never localise Investigations 2, that was what pushed me off the edge. That shows just how important this series is to me.

If anyone wants to talk about the Ace Attorney series, I'm the man you're looking for.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »
A Phoenix Wright adaptation?  Sweet.

The story is nothing special, but it should be a fun show with a good amount of feel good camp.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »
A Phoenix Wright adaptation?  Sweet.

The story is nothing special, but it should be a fun show with a good amount of feel good camp.

If only.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »
If only.

We have a live action movie adaptation though. And it's actually not too bad.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 07:22:37 AM »
Yeah, I thought the movie did a shockingly good job of condensing the first game into a single movie, and I love the absurdities it indulges in like the victory celebrations and such. That movie is a lot of fun and WAY better than I'm pretty sure anyone thought a live action Ace Attorney would be.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »
If only.

We have a live action movie adaptation though. And it's actually not too bad.

Then I'll import it from Australia.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 07:56:09 AM »
I think a lot of the other guys have already stolen the thunder, but I'm actually planning to buy a 3DS XL this month for Ace Attorney 5 (with a few other games) despite living in perpetual poverty. tbh I haven't played enough games to call it one of the best, but it's got some excellent writing, great cast with a gameplay that completely appeals to me; it is one of the few games where I'm willing to invest hours to sit through a case. If there's a thing that's lacking in this game it'd be its replay value (even that's arguable), but that's because I'm always keen for more cases

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
Has everyone seen the latest trailer for Gyakuten Saiban 5?

http://youtu.be/s1FlVtmz-SI

Oh my gosh...I can't contain my excitement. Everything I wanted from a sequel is here!

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
Has everyone seen the latest trailer for Gyakuten Saiban 5?

http://youtu.be/s1FlVtmz-SI

Oh my gosh...I can't contain my excitement. Everything I wanted from a sequel is here!

One of these days I'm going to get a 3DS, and this sequel will be high on my shortlist.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:49:41 PM »
After much waiting, it has finally arrived.

I know what I'm spending my free time in the upcoming week doing. Here comes justice!

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »
Lucky son of a gun.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 05:57:29 PM »
Bumping this thread because Dual Destinies has been released in English for a while. Has anyone here finished the game?

Personally I really liked Dual Destinies. The cases aren't as solid as before, but I really felt personally connected with the characters in this game. Overall my rankings for the five main games are now 3>1>5>4>2.

And golly, the music is awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up