Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 02:50:30 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rewrite  (Read 10258 times)

Offline hyperknees91

Rewrite
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »
Anyone check out the newest key work? I just got done with it and was pretty disappointed but I'm having conflicting feelings on whether I should be or not.

Idk, does anyone have any thoughts they would like to share on it?

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

Re: Rewrite
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »
Call me crazy, but if Ryukishi07 stopped writing mystery/horror stories and did moe for the rest of his career I would die a happy man. Lucia's route was that good.

As for the game itself,

Terra<Moon<Lucia<Akane<Shizuru<Kotori<Oppai<Chihaya.

Romeo Tanaka or Ryukishi07 routes were all awesome, while the rest of the routes were mediocre and cliche.

Overall, I thought it was a great game, even though it had a few weak routes.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:35:41 PM »
Let me try to guess. Perhaps the reason you are disappointed is because it doesn't feel like Key. Obviously that may not be the case, but I feel that is the number one reason. I on the other hand like things that go against most people's expectations and say "Screw it. I'm telling a story regardless of what most people want" so maybe I'm not one to give out the best advice on this. Anyway, I actually thought this was the best Key game. I liked the main story and thought it was pretty epic. And I guess if people hated Key's reliance on Deus ex Machina, then the ending to Terra would be right at home. The heroines were actually pretty good too. None of them were the usual Key kind of annoying like Komari who mostly acts half her age from LB for example. I found Kotori constantly funny and Chiwa Saito being her seiyuu definitely helped. I found Chihaya, Akane and Shizuru solid characters. Only Lucia did I find annoying and mostly one-dimensional and in the end that's helped by having the best heroine route in the game and for my money the best heroine route Key made barring how Kurugaya and Rin's route play out in LB. But I thought Lucia's route was constantly great with only one part near the ending that bothered me (You know what I'm talking about). The other routes I felt were fine and even the worst routes (Chihaya and Shizuru, not coincidentally written by the writer of Komari's route) were better than most of the worst Key routes in the other games. Another problem I heard was the different genres each route takes (Lucia being horror-conspiracy, Chihaya being pure shounen, Komari being the normal Key-nakige), but while people have called it jarring, I like to call it diversity. Now as to the problem that I found and I feel were justified. Well there is the plot hole with how the MC's powers work and while I thought I could blame it on the many different writers, main writer Romeo Tanaka make the same plot hole in both his stories too. Then there is the romance not being the strongest of the Key works, but I really wasn't too affected by that. And then there's production values. While there's no doubt the character art is a vast improvement over even LB and the music may be the best I've ever heard in a VN (To the extent that I'm still listening to it (Openings and Endings too) after having finished Rewrite months ago) and the seiyuu are either really well known or very good, there was a cheapness to the whole thing with some ill-proportioned cgs and characters with no voices or no sprites or worse no sprites, but have a character model in a cg. And that's all the negatives I can think of, but they really didn't bring the experience down much. Oh, and I guess the common route may have been too long for some tastes, but I was almost constantly entertained by it, but of course that is also subjective, but still I found the comedy really great and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny ("Shake it now, baby now!"). All in all I gave Rewrite a low 9/10.

Oh and special mention for the MC Kotarou who may be the best Key MC and one of the top VN MCs. Really great work by Tanaka-Sensei. I was impressed more than disappointed.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »
Nah it has nothing to do with it being key or not (It's still got a key-ish format of starting out super silly and light hearted then gradually becoming very dramatic) and it's got nothing to do with the route diversity (though it is kind of jarring at times). My only time that it's a real complaint was in Lucia's route which was just off-putting (going from a comedy/slice of life > Mystery/horror > Political Thriller with romance and sci fi elements to a shounen. It was a bit much to take in all in one route.

I just really...really did not like Moon or Terra. Both felt anti-climatic and both felt incredibly rushed. At the end I was left feeling kind of empty (I could go into detail), but hey at least it had a happy ending...somehow?

For me this was how I rated the routes

Chihaya > Akane > Kotori >  Shizuru  > Lucia > Moon > Terra

(Chihaya's might be silly and super shounen, but I enjoyed every second of it and flew through that route. Then again I'm a natural shounen fan. Sakuya, Gil and Pani are also my favorite chars in the game so that helps).

I feel like this game was really just trying to go against the typical super happy ending of most visual novels (and it's still pretty much that in the end). But lacked the power of what those other visual novels have that make you not want those endings in the first place (Steins Gate, Little busters, Clannad, Fate/Stay Night are all guilty of this). Though a part of me realizes that I might just not prefer the way the game went. Perhaps I should just look at the messages the author is trying to convey, even if it didn't have much impact on me. Idk, I really really liked the start of this game and loved Kotori's route so my first impression was as strong as it could be. So a part of me was hoping for a more powerful emotional impact in the end I think (happy or sad).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:51:37 AM by hyperknees91 »

Offline MCAL

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:12:39 AM »
Fair enough. I just think Rewrite is a more solid affair all around.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
I can see that. In general these are the strongest heroine routes in...pretty much any visual novel (outside of g-senjou and sharin no kuni). So it is a solid game, not denying that. I'm not trying to say it was bad, just that I came out not liking it. Which hopefully most people can avoid (and I think an anime adaption could fix many of my complaints...then again that might be difficult to do).

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
I can see that. In general these are the strongest heroine routes in...pretty much any visual novel (outside of g-senjou and sharin no kuni). So it is a solid game, not denying that. I'm not trying to say it was bad, just that I came out not liking it. Which hopefully most people can avoid (and I think an anime adaption could fix many of my complaints...then again that might be difficult to do).

Because of the structure of Rewrite, is one of the worst VN for anime adaptation. A mash of the routes does not work, since it is part of the plot in Moon (and Terra) they are unique. And you can't tell the story of each heroine mixing their routes, as they are mutually exclusive (Kotarou joining Gaia or Guardian).

Offline MCAL

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 04:55:15 PM »
Because of the structure of Rewrite, is one of the worst VN for anime adaptation. A mash of the routes does not work, since it is part of the plot in Moon (and Terra) they are unique. And you can't tell the story of each heroine mixing their routes, as they are mutually exclusive (Kotarou joining Gaia or Guardian).

Right. The only way is for the anime adaption to work would be in omnibus form like Amagami and Yosuga no Sora. Key has said though they would be willing to make an anime out of it if anyone wants to (preferably White Fox), so there is the possibility.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »
This is true, like said they could fix the things I didn't like but as a whole....it would probably be a terrible adaption that made absolutely no sense (without some very strong writing changes made to it at the very least).

You know maybe they should just stay away from this one.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:56 PM »
Oh and special mention for the MC Kotarou who may be the best Key MC and one of the top VN MCs.

I disagree. I thought he was pretty inconsistent and suffered from a lot of random mood swings. This is one of my main gripes about the game even as Terra approached its final moments.

Doesn't mean I didn't like Rewrite though. I just wouldn't put him up there as a "top VN MC". He made me headdesk in many routes with his decision making skills. I seriously wanted to punch the screen during Lucia's arc. A "top VN MC" wouldn't do that to me.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »
He isn't top VN MC. But surely top KEY MC.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »
Hmm... perhaps my wording was too extreme? I would at least say he is one of the better VN protagonists. I think that sounds more what I was looking for (I wouldn't put him above guys like Morita Kenichi or Okabe Rintaro, that's for sure).

While we are on the topic of Rewrite generally, I think I forgot to mention, but I found the comedic sections really funny. Like I don't think I laughed harder in any Key game. I know comedy is subjective and Tanaka's sense of humor is different from most, but I could help myself.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:06:06 PM by MCAL »

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
So, then, the general anime populace has been saying that Rewrite is better than any other key game. This puts it in front of Air, Clannad, Planetation, and Little Busters.

Support/Deny/Qualify this.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline KS

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 10:24:36 AM »
So, then, the general anime populace has been saying that Rewrite is better than any other key game. This puts it in front of Air, Clannad, Planetation, and Little Busters.

I've heard the opposite from Key supporters I know, but then I'm no person to really ask when it comes to Key stuff as I'm far from being a fan myself.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »

This really depends on who you ask. I think what is true is that Rewrite is very different from any other KEY work, so different that it's hard to compare them at all really. It doesn't have Jun Maeda writing for it like previous KEY works, and it does lack the typical really emotional iconic maeda scene (Think the end of Air, Clannad AS episode 18, and what we are about to see in Little Busters Refrain). What Rewrite does have, however, is a real plot and story. The KEY magic isn't really there, but there is tons of supernatural stuff and... ACTION.

Personally, I think Rewrite is OVERALL, probably the best KEY work to date, but it never reaches the same high as the other KEY works (But equivalently never reaches the same lows).
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up