Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 07:38:06 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Valvrave the Liberator  (Read 45520 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Valvrave the Liberator
« Reply #390 on: December 28, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
Succinct and appropriate.  Don't bitch because you don't share the view.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline KS

« Reply #391 on: December 28, 2013, 07:06:38 PM »
Succinct and appropriate.  Don't bitch because you don't share the view.

Whatever dude

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #392 on: December 28, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
Look, KS, you've been trying to pull every excuse out of the bucket to justify this pile of shit since the beginning.  Go back and re-read this thread.  First it was the writers are making this obviously tongue-in-cheek, then it was only appreciable by people who understand Sunrise mecha shows, then it was full on parody, the latest excuse is that they weren't given enough time.  C'mon man.

You tried.  The SHOW is the problem, not you.  The writers did not do a good job.  Sunrise isn't going to win them all.  Need I remind you of this little thing called Sore wa Kakeru Shoujo?  Code Geass' second season wasn't much to write home about either. Not everything Sunrise does is gold.  Sometimes it is gold painted cat turds.  It happens.

You'll note nobody is kvetching over Build Fighters, because that show doesn't suck.

Offline KS

« Reply #393 on: December 28, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
Look, KS, you've been trying to pull every excuse out of the bucket to justify this pile of shit since the beginning.  Go back and re-read this thread.  First it was the writers are making this obviously tongue-in-cheek, then it was only appreciable by people who understand Sunrise mecha shows, then it was full on parody, the latest excuse is that they weren't given enough time.  C'mon man.

You tried.  The SHOW is the problem, not you.  The writers did not do a good job.  Sunrise isn't going to win them all.  Need I remind you of this little thing called Sore wa Kakeru Shoujo?  Code Geass' second season wasn't much to write home about either. Not everything Sunrise does is gold.  Sometimes it is gold painted cat turds.  It happens.

You'll note nobody is kvetching over Build Fighters, because that show doesn't suck.

Now you're speaking my language as that's pretty much how I'd some things up myself.  As for Soaring Cake Girl, it left a similar impression, crazy goofy fun with some genuinely engaging moments and kind of an abrupt ending that leaves some questions unanswered.

As for Gundam Build Fighters, nobody is bitching but also nobody is really watching either.  I guess that's the curse of getting labelled a kids show while Valvrave is "late night adult anime".

Offline AH

« Reply #394 on: December 30, 2013, 01:50:19 AM »
It's all a matter of degrees. We can all agree that Valvrave had issues and flaws, but the specifics remain open to both interpretation and personal preference. Even better shows don't automatically appeal to everyone or are somehow immune to criticism. I don't think the fact that this particular series turned out to be disappointing in some respects means everything about it was wrong. For example, I didn't like most of the ending, but I still enjoyed many parts of the series before that point. Certainly more than, say, TypicalIdiotFan ever did. That's not going to change, even if there's little or no reason to argue about this anymore. What's done is done.

So my final words on Valvrave The Liberator...it was crazy enough to be entertaining and occasionally surprisingly interesting, but the flaws kept it down and the end result was nothing special. In terms of similar shows, Code Geass was better, both as a whole and on a seasonal basis, since (among other things) R2's ending managed to successfully wrap up a lot of the previous madness and give it meaning in a way that defied the real or perceived flaws. In retrospect, that other narrative kept its core thread alive and in my eyes it could legitimately be called satisfactory or even good (since for me the positives outweighed the negatives).

Unfortunately, for the most part that didn't really happen with this conclusion, which felt functional but also more rushed and hollow. Perhaps it was always a little too much to expect that Valvrave would ever accomplish something on that level, since lightning rarely strikes twice. Can't say I didn't have fun while it lasted though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:03:27 AM by AH »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #395 on: December 30, 2013, 02:24:33 AM »
We can all agree that Valvrave had issues and flaws, but the specifics remain open to both interpretation and personal preference.

Interpretation?  No.  Personal preference?  Sure.

Interpretation implies that there is some kind of meaning or pretext that requires extrapolation and examination.  I don't think there is a case to be made that this is in any way vital to Valvrave nor do I think it is what the writers intended.  Far as I can see, Valvrave is a pretty straightforward series without a whole lot of wiggle room.

That being said, as far as personal preference goes, I think we have to remember that while there are certainly things that heavy mecha fans are going to get out of a series like this more than the rest of us, the rest of us don't care either.  We're arguing on the basis of the show as a whole, not the parts.  If we can't even get on the same page there, of course there is going to be some rubbing of egos.  When we say that this show is bad, we mean that on a general scale.  Whether it is a bad "mecha anime", for example, is not what we care about.  I don't think Green Lantern is a bad "superhero" movie, I think it is a bad movie period.  Whether it has any relative merits vis a vis other superhero movies is moot.

Offline AH

« Reply #396 on: December 30, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »
You're using the term "interpretation" in the narrow sense of finding some sort of profound meaning, while I was using it in an all-encompassing one that does apply to Valvrave as well as literally to anything else, because I do think subjectivity cannot be separated from the viewing (or even the living) experience. There might be an abstract general scale, but each of us uses our own unique individual set of expected criteria, lines of reasoning, emotions and personal sensibilities to measure all this stuff up against it. Otherwise, there would be universal agreement about every single review on this website or any other. 

Offline KS

« Reply #397 on: December 30, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
You're using the term "interpretation" in the narrow sense of finding some sort of profound meaning, while I was using it in an all-encompassing one that does apply to Valvrave as well as literally to anything else, because I do think subjectivity cannot be separated from the viewing (or even the living) experience. There might be an abstract general scale, but each of us uses our own unique individual set of expected criteria, lines of reasoning, emotions and personal sensibilities to measure all this stuff up against it. Otherwise, there would be universal agreement about every single review on this website or any other.

This sounds pretty reasonable and logical to me.

Offline Aeshma

« Reply #398 on: January 02, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
I liked this show. I wish they didn´t go for some certain things, but it was an entertaining watch.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #399 on: January 02, 2014, 07:01:44 PM »
As for Gundam Build Fighters, nobody is bitching but also nobody is really watching either.

I don't know man, I'm watching it and it's pretty awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up