Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 03:01:46 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Valvrave the Liberator  (Read 45586 times)

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

Re: Valvrave the Liberator
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »
1: I'm going to refrain from commenting on this since I have no experience in Mecha, but from how you guys are describing it, this seems a little convoluted compared to other mechs?

And the ending... what the actual ****?

Understanding Mecha's main tropes isn't too hard:

1a) Unintended, world-beater pilot. ==  Normally hops in the Mecha by chance/to save his friends. 

1b) Hot-shot pilot that gets a vehicle upgrade.   == Extra points if the mecha is a revolutionary design and made with some new material.

2) Your Villain has to be the hottest guy around.  == Hi Char, version 476.  Points if he's also nearly gay.

3) No body, no death.  ==  This comes up all of the time.

4) Physical abuse.  == Look up "Bright Slap".

5) If your director is depressed, everyone is going to die.  == E.g. Ideon.  (There's a reason he's called Kill'em All Tomimo)

6) If Gundam series, has "non-Jedi Jedi".  == Pretty much every Gundam series but MS 8th Team.

Those are the main tropes.  Passed those, it's just military science fiction.  The ones that work break the mold pretty hard, but still play with those tropes.

For Valvrave's starting aspects, the issue is that our MC doesn't actually have any drive to do what needs to be done.  In most Mecha series, they're already driven people.  The counter-example is Shinji from NGE, but he was designed *intentionally* to circumvent the setup.  Which is also why the world ended.    Here, it's short term revenge, and it now looks like Zombie powers or something will keep him going.  This doesn't appear to be completely a fight for survival (which is common) or fighting to run away or fighting for a cause.  His cause is now over: he got revenge. 

It's not that our MC is a self-insert type, it's that the emotional beats were played like Obon drums into our head, but since this all happened in ep 1, we don't really get the impact.  So it's hard to see how this gets carried forward without being a drag on the series.  He was pressed into fighting by terror, which isn't a good place to work a full 26 episode series from.   It doesn't help that Dead Girl seemed to have the most personality of the entire cast.

No one has a clue what that ending was about.

Welp, I've been spoiled for Ideon and Evangelion. Nethertheless, thank you for your explanation. I'll try to remember this from now on. I'm still not going to comment on this.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline SQA

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »
Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.  And Leia is his sister.

NGE is almost 18 years old, it's pretty acceptable to talk about it.  And you wouldn't seek out Ideon without knowing "of" it first. :)   Though NGE's ending is actually open to so damn many interpretations, it's hard to say the "world ended". 

Offline Aeshma

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 03:55:13 AM »
I laughed my ass off at the ending of the episode. I wasn´t expecting that at all.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 03:14:36 PM »
1:

Let's see, mecha move around like there isn't a human body inside suffering the effects of inertia and they all explode into pretty pink clouds of gas.

Yep, it's Sunrise alright.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Nothing more need to be said.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »
Episode 2

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is Code Geass levels of trolling.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »
Finally a giant robot that runs on THE POWER OF SATAN!!!!!!

Offline Delta-G

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 10:33:45 PM »
Hold that gun El-Elf, Imma let you finish, but first I gotta take this call from my girl Shoko. I thought she was roast beef, so I shot all these space Nazis to get even and gave zero ****s. Yea, I know we are in the middle of battle against a guy in a space lobster who can't pronounce your name, but I really need to tell her how awful her shirt is, so don't go shooting me yet. Not that doing so would do much anyways, seeing as I am an unfeeling body-snatcher and all now. Oh did you know that helicopters don't handle like bikes? Who woulda-thunk? Welp, its time for CONDITION: RAVE, we sudoku now!

Sunrise really wants another Code Geass, and who can blame them after the disaster that was Gundam AGE?

Offline AH

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 01:25:19 AM »
This show is just so silly, but it's silly in a way I can enjoy.

I particularly loved the bits with A-Drei and L-Elf. It made me think back to (early) Orange-kun.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 04:35:46 AM »
My train of thought:

“Oh well, I got over the fact she died, and I like how ****ing angry he is, makes it better than if he was a wimp”

“She's alive? AWW WHAT?! I know I was complaining that she died, but that's an ass pull”

“Aww, oh well, I suppose at the very least I'll get to see that early romance that I've never seen before”

“Oh, he's only just worked out now that he did something a tad strange? Oh well, their going to confess in a bit! So he's no longer fully human, I wonder if he's going to become all self loathing and - wait, no no no no no I see what you're doing there!”
"OH COME ON!!!!!"

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 01:44:39 AM »
2:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

What a ****ing mess this is!  I guarantee this sells 20,000 blue rays!
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 02:18:16 AM »
1-2:

I can't even get reception in my dorm room, how does this guy get reception in SPACE!?

This is the next Code Geass R2, a very large and brilliant train wreck. I'm psyched to see how ridiculous this show gets in the future.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline KS

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »
Some people see this huge mess, I just see a show that is having a little fun with itself while it builds up it's mysteries and character relationships.  It's really not that unusual to me, not sure what types of shows other people here watch but yeah there's a lot of silliness in this (which is honestly fine by me) but also a lot of set up which is making thing pretty interesting so far.  The only thing that might become frustrating is if the MC cycles back and forth between proactive and self-loathing like Shu in Guilty Crown for no explicable development based reason.  That I definitely do not want to see happen.

2:

I guarantee this sells 20,000 blue rays!

And I can already see the tremendous butthurt if it does and people being tremendous self-righteous douchebags about it if it doesn't.  There's really little way for this show to win any points at all with a certain crowd that unfortunately tends to follow Sunrise stuff (If something interesting or telling happens they just ignore it, if something silly happens people pretend to melt down over it) but whatever, haters gonna hate.

Anyway something interesting I saw someone post on another forum that might have been an inspiration for the show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valravn
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:51:03 AM by KS »

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 01:18:30 PM »
1-2:

Ugh. That was ugly. I didn't find any characters appealing, things are moving along like they're strapped to a rocket, and highchool mecha haven't interested me since FMP. This show just isn't my speed.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline SQA

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »
2:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

What a ****ing mess this is!  I guarantee this sells 20,000 blue rays!

In other news, Infinite Stratos is getting a 2nd season, probably in Fall.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27   Go Up