Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 01:25:05 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu (Movie)  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu (Movie)
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »
Steins;Gate was one of the first truly great anime I ever watched, and so I've been anticipating this movie for years. Yesterday I finally watched it.

I think the best way to put it would be, everything that made Steins;Gate so good is here in force, EXCEPT the brilliant plot. The plot isn't bad (except for the ending...maybe?), as a matter of fact it hardly exists, but unfortunately there's no way this movie is going to reach the same heights as the series without that. I ended up scoring it an 8.

Just some major points:

Spoiler for Hiden:
A lot of scenes correspond to previous ones in the original series. This is sort of a nice touch, but it also means that I know exactly what's going to happen at these times.

Godly levels of fanservice, especially regarding Makise. Me and my friends were literally squealing at several points.

The opening captures some of that WTF OH SHIT magic from the original, using both 'flashbacks' and what I believe is material from the visual novel.

The romance was overall fair, though somewhat melodramatic, but I have to say the final scene was delightful. Steins;Gate doesn't end with a kiss like some ridiculous high school drama anime. Actually, Makise and Okabe are like 2 meters apart, but from the closeness I felt, they might as well have been all over each other. It really is the thought that counts.

So that ending/resolution. The problem wasn't that hard to solve I suppose, and Makise actually being the cause of Okabe's Chuunibyou was nice, but overall it felt a bit easy and sudden. In the end, I'm willing to overlook this, because...

GODDAMMIT JAPAN THE FLIPPIN' PEDO KISS. When I saw the close-up of young Okabe's face, I was like, 'NO. NO. THIS ISN'T HAPPENING" and then "AAAIIIIYYYAAAAAAAAAHH". Oh my lord. Makise, I just don't understand. Surely a long, deep hug would have sufficed. But now the legendary Toothbrush Scene has a neighbor.     
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline thanosmat

Re: Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu (Movie)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
This movie is canon?

Since it was not the original writer who wrote the movie.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Whether it's canon or not is up for debate, but I think it's 100% canon-worthy.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »
Gonna wait for the actual Blu-ray/DVD release with hopefully better subs before I watch the movie. I heard its been getting mixed reviews though.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
As a hardcore steins gate fanboy I approve. Though a few scenes will confuse those who didn't play the VN (cough go play the friggin VN if you haven't you bastards)

Anyway it was nice to have a Kurisu focused character arc. While this movie is not necessary, it was still very much enjoyable. Though I do hope they put Steins Gate to rest after this as I would hate for it to be milked even further.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »
Okay... That was a pretty decent movie. I don't think it was absolutely necessary for this movie to have existed, but is says much about how much I liked the characters that I wasn't really bothered by the plot being sort of meh. It was quite interesting (And perhaps a bit surreal) to have seen some of the VN moments (The Suzuha bad end and the Nae mini-arc). While the plot was meh, I was able to follow it just fine. The only part that confused me slightly was the very end. Unless I am very much reading this wrong, the implication was that Kurisu had met Okabe once when she was younger (Perhaps having run away from her father (Anyone who has read the manga story following Kurisu would know what I mean)) and this current Kurisu traveled back in time after that meeting had already happened.

Anyway, besides that, there's nothing else to say about this, except Imai Asami needs more seiyuu work pronto! She's very, very good. I give the film a low 8/10.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:51:49 PM »
I gave it a low 7. It was kinda meh, I felt very generous giving it the 7.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 07:18:07 AM »
Anyway, besides that, there's nothing else to say about this, except Imai Asami needs more seiyuu work pronto! She's very, very good. I give the film a low 8/10. 

Indeed she is good stuff and has been getting more work outside visual novels and games finally. I'm waiting until she voices a boy (I'm pretty sure she can do it).
Pages: [1]   Go Up