Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 09:39:52 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Shingeki no Kyojin  (Read 53478 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Shingeki no Kyojin
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »
1:

Probably the most anticipated show of the season for me.

That wasn't an amazing first episode, but I liked it, and the titans are seriously creepy.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
Episode 1

A solid first episode if I've ever seen one.  It's completely over the top in normal Tetsurō Araki style, but I thought everything felt appropriately dramatic to establish "this is why the protagonists are the way they are."  Looking forward to more.

Also, that sakuga in the OP...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMXgHfHxKVM

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline SQA

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:35:08 AM »
1:

Since I knew the synopsis, I knew what was happening in ep 1, so that wasn't a shock.  What is interesting is the choice of Araki as director, something you probably would notice without being told.  Though he might have finally cast Yuuki Kaji properly, which is a decent thing.   But this is one of those series where him going over the top makes a lot of sense.

Now, I'm sure this has been done to death in threads about the Manga, but, well, the Ancient Greeks probably could have solve the problem of killing Titans, in large numbers, in about 5 years.  But any series like this always requires you to suspend disbelief in the ability for humanity to actually address problems until the Protagonists show up.  Something I'm at least willing to do, as the Spiderman-style fight scenes to come should be a lot of fun.

Oh, and 1 thought: Cannonball Bolos. 

Edit: I should add that I'm still bothered by 12 year olds giving high level philosophical reasons for their choices and thinking, as there is maybe ever a handful of those on the planet capable of that type of thinking.   But I guess someone has to give the exposition.

Though props to Eren's Dad.  You don't get ones that levelheaded very often in Anime, so that was nice to see. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:45:44 AM by SQA »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 04:13:28 AM »
A very grim tactic they could use is loads corpses up with poison, though that assumes the Titans are susceptible to poison.

Anyway, this is going to be really really really really popular. I liked the first episode on the whole, even if they cast Yuuki Kaji (who I simply dislike), the titans were very scary, and it was pretty graphic in it's depictions of death. It's over the top, but for here once I think it works.

Offline SQA

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:33:32 AM »
Much props to the series for the best use of "Sinister Grin" to date.  It just makes the androgynous Titans sickly menacing. 

Offline KS

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »
Well that scratched an itch that Jojo's ending left in it's wake for me.  This is what you get when I.G is actually trying with something.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:15:16 PM »
1: That was pretty incredible, however, I have a problem pertaining to Erin.

Mainly being the consistent comparision he makes to humanity as livestock. If he's lived like he has, he wouldn't be able to come up with such a clever comparision. Yes, these children are too smart for their own good.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Marid King

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
Is Eren meant to be seen as a genius? His dad's a famous doctor, so maybe this is intentional.

Offline SQA

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »
Is Eren meant to be seen as a genius? His dad's a famous doctor, so maybe this is intentional.

No, he's just meant to give clunky ep 1/chapter 1 exposition.  And it goes to his character.  A character wanting to "leave" the walls is fully understandable, at that age.  12 year olds giving that level of philosophical argumentation?  Not really believable.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:26:29 AM »
1:

Aww god, where's Kratos when you need him...

That was one great first episode. No bullshit; just cut to the chase and throw the whole world into a shithole. It's deliciously depressing and makes good entertainment. I don't really expect anything intelligent from this show, and I hope it keeps up the intense action and morbid storyline. And I kinda see where director Araki's influences come into play: no wonder I felt traces of Death Note and Kurozuka here and there... just didn't expect Production I.G to produce this (it looks more like something Madhouse would do).

The titans were horrendously creepy, especially when they resemble humans. Not sure if we are gonna get exposure on how titans came to be and what kind of history humans have had with them (definitely not a pleasant one), but I would appreciate it if I get something eventually.

Just keep it up. Nothing perks me up more after a long day at work than bloody violence and people in despair.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 03:32:41 AM »
1:

Neat.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Thot

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
1:

About the only complaint I have about this is the toned-down violence when compared to the manga. Although I doubt they'll be able to keep that up, there's enough scenes ahead that they could hardly censor without losing impact.

Offline SQA

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
1:

About the only complaint I have about this is the toned-down violence when compared to the manga. Although I doubt they'll be able to keep that up, there's enough scenes ahead that they could hardly censor without losing impact.

I feel like we're going to need to use some Lord Denathor quotes/clips for this series.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »
Episode 2

It seems that this episode was dedicated to world building and providing further motivation for the protagonist to get his rage on.  Let's see what the show can do with this now that there is a full 24 episodes to build out a story.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
2:

Reminds me of Psycho Pass episodes 1-2. A big, 2 episode opening that sets up the series. I feel like things are only going to get better from here.

I seem to be missing a time skip. So our trio goes outside the walls, survive a year, and then get into the army?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Up