Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 07:16:36 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Shingeki no Kyojin  (Read 54859 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 10:22:55 PM »
Eren does seem attached to Mikasa, but even before the titan attack he wanted to go outside the walls, in spite of her disagreement. I wouldn't say that she's his strongest motivation for join the army, but I agree that Eren wants to prove to her that he can look after himself.

As for revenge shackling characters, I think it's more dependent on how its handled. The Count from Gankutsuou comes to mind.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Online MCAL

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 11:07:19 PM »
1-3:

A little late, but this is indeed epic!

But some is gonna have to convince me why some 12 year olds look twenty and why Mikasa looks like she's thirty.

Offline SQA

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »
1-3:

But some is gonna have to convince me why some 12 year olds look twenty and why Mikasa looks like she's thirty.

Science!

Or something.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »
1-3:

Mikasa is a bit much, she looks like she has lipstick on permanently.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline RyuKyotei

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 04:56:15 AM »
Someone tell me the appeal of this whole show so far.  I get that it becomes epic in the manga, but what's the appeal now?  The characters flip back and fourth between motivations, the tropes are used way too much, and it's taking itself way too seriously.  I'll say that it's not boring, but where's the critical acclaim coming from?  Also, I agree with you MCAL.  The characters also look way too old and Mikasa has permanent lipstick on in a boot camp for soldiers.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 07:17:11 AM »
Someone tell me the appeal of this whole show so far.  I get that it becomes epic in the manga, but what's the appeal now?
Simple. The setting feels fresh.  It's very rare for that to occur in the shounen action genre, or any genre in anime at this point.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
I'll just throw this in. It feels epic, it might not feel quite so much at the moment, but that first episode was such a massive hook. It is taking itself incredibly seriously, and to be honest I think is has to, it couldn't do it any other way. The OP represents this perfectly, it takes itself incredibly seriously, and it wants you to take it seriously to. The OP also blares "THIS IS EPIC". Yeh, I think it's a bit heavy handed maybe for me, but for most people they're just eating it up and giggling to themselves with enjoyment.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »
There's a complete lack of pretentiousness in this work. There's no bullshit. It's straightforward and gets to the point. I really appreciate than in a world of anime where shows constantly try to be too clever for their own good.

3:

Another very good/solid episode. There was some unexpected humor too. The potato girl scene tore my insides.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 03:50:04 PM »
There's no bullshit. It's straightforward and gets to the point.
Potato Girl

Yeah, no.  I was doing fine with episodes one and two, but the third one sort of irritated me a couple of times.  Potato Girl was one.  Not because of what she did, but because of what she represents.  She's an obnoxious food hound Butt Monkey character.  Considering all the serious business going on, throwing in this overused type of gag character trope was completely jarring.

The rest of the episode was pretty good, with stark contrasts between the frontier people and the inner people and the very subtle attempt by that one inner guy at trying to get Eren kicked out by damaging his belt.  C'mon, it shouldn't be this hard to put two and two together after he watched Eren and Mikasa.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »
3: Getting past the annoying Potato Girl, I will qualify my previous thoughts on Eren. Rather, that Eren is indeed idealist and grabs on to his own beliefs without logically thinking it through, but the show is addressing this quite well, so I can forgive that.

Regardless, I still want to know where the heck the titans came from. I hope they aren't just plot devices for giving the story purpose to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:13:50 PM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline SQA

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »
3: Getting past the annoying Potato Girl, I will qualify my previous thoughts on Eren. Rather, that Eren is indeed idealist and grabs on to his own beliefs without logically thinking it through, but the show is addressing this quite well, so I can forgive that.

Regardless, I still want to know where the heck the titans came from. I hope they aren't just plot devices for giving the story purpose to begin with.

I've heard the Titans origins haven't actually been addressed in the main manga yet, so I believe it's safe to assume that a full answer won't be available.  Barring an anime-original ending.  Maybe there is some insinuations to come.

I'd go with Divine Punishment, though.  Though a sci-fi explanation probably makes some sense.  They're on an Earth-sized ant farm or something or other.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »

I've heard the Titans origins haven't actually been addressed in the main manga yet, so I believe it's safe to assume that a full answer won't be available.  Barring an anime-original ending.  Maybe there is some insinuations to come.

I'd go with Divine Punishment, though.  Though a sci-fi explanation probably makes some sense.  They're on an Earth-sized ant farm or something or other.

I honestly hope that there is no anime original ending. I'll probably be upset if there is, because I hate for something to end halfway through a manga's creation.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline SQA

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »
Well, the first FMA series is in the running for one of the best of all time, so it can work.  If the director and writing staff are really on their game.

Still, I'd guess we'll hit some natural story arc end point (manga reads can probably guess what that would be) and it'll end there.  Somewhere in the Magi/Ao no Exorcist mold.  Given the monster boost the manga got in its first week (almost enough back catalog sales to pay for the anime production), I think it's safe to say they'll want to make sure it's not precluded from a sequel in some time.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »
It would be really poetic if the giants just happened to be. I'm always up for a nihilistic, depressing twist if the story ever gets to it.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
Does it really matter where the Titans came from?  They simply represent a problem that humanity has to overcome.  In a way, they're not any different from the zombies from High School of the Dead.  Nobody knows where those came from, but that takes a complete back seat to "how to deal with them and survive".

That's what this is:  a survival show.  It is about humanity growing and overcoming a terrible foe.  I would also argue that it is about facing your fears rather than running from them, as the first episode establishes that humanity did the latter.  While they lived in peace, the "problem" didn't just go away.  In fact, the problem got "bigger" and worse, and now they can't run from it anymore.  In the meantime, they have gotten lax about how to solve the Titan problem for good, and their advancements in understanding and fighting them have been nonexistent.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up