Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 09:27:37 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Shingeki no Kyojin  (Read 53605 times)

Offline SQA

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »
Apparently we'll get another time skip in by ep 5 or 6.  They've actually started "later" in the series, as these are stories from flashbacks.   At least, that's what manga readers have said.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »
2: I am generally impressed with the story thus far, however... Ugh, I just can't help but wonder "why" with the Titans.

I'm going to be very annoyed if the Titans are still a plot device to drive the story by the end of the series; I despise it when the story is driven by something like that.  I'm also a bit annoyed with how blindly idealistic Eren is, I'm not saying its not justified due to his situation, but it doesn't feel right. I guess its just th eshounen aspect of the series we're talking about? I do like Mikasa at the moment, though.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:11:36 PM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 07:51:08 PM »
Blindly idealistic? What do you mean?
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 06:45:24 AM »

I'm referring to the fact he can't take the reality of his limits up his head. Mikasa had to slap it into him.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:59:49 AM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Marid King

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 09:56:48 AM »

I'm referring to the fact he can't take the reality of his limits up his head. Mikasa had to slap it into him.

I see. Guessing this is going to bite him in the arse later.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
2:

Hearing that this is going to be a 2-cour show just makes my day. It's typical: shit happens right at the start, and that serves as the protagonist's overarching motivation throughout the show. With a plot like that, you need a lot of time to mold a character from an angry kid to a full-fledged warrior (at least that's what I think this show aims at transforming Eren into).

Nothing much to comment about this episode; I still lovin' it. But I have to question one thing: sending 250,000 people to reclaim the Wall Maria, which was basically taken over by the titans? Isn't that no more than the death sentence? What was the central government thinking? Did it really think that the place can be reclaimed again, or are they intentionally getting rid of people in order to solve food shortage on a short-term? Logic-wise, I just have to go with the latter. It's kinda obvious; the former is just straight-up bullshit.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »
It`s a smart move, if they declared that all the refugees would be executed, or that they were simply being kicked outside the wall, there could be a riot.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »
3:

Not the big payoff I've been waiting for, but we're getting there.

It's odd that so far I've been most impressed by the amount of thought put into the setting. Shingeki no Kyojin isn't the actionfest I expected.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »

So now we meet the rest of the cast.  For characters in a shounen action series, they seem very normal with minimal quirks to really distinguish among them (except the potato girl).

Also, the show is really going full Kaiji with the expressions.  I swear this looks like a Madhouse production.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline SQA

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 08:12:07 PM »
Araki works before Guilty Crown were all at Madhouse.  I think it makes sense that he'd have that style, as he directed or worked on a lot of their projects.  And he actually did the storyboard for an episode of Kaiji.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
3:

Eren really seems to be dishonest even in his thoughts, or rather he is trying to convince himself about what his motivations are. I hope this becomes a major plot point in the future as I don't really buy the "I want to exterminate the giants" bull.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »
3:

Eren really seems to be dishonest even in his thoughts, or rather he is trying to convince himself about what his motivations are. I hope this becomes a major plot point in the future as I don't really buy the "I want to exterminate the giants" bull.

Why not? I assumed that Eren's character arc would be him trying to let go of his hate, or something to that effect. After watching his mom get eaten, I don't find it unbelievable that Eren would want revenge. 

Offline SQA

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 09:26:01 PM »
There's nothing much wrong with wanting to destroy the enemy that's attempting to slaughter your entire species.  But letting yourself become Capt. Ahab is when it's a problem.

Offline RyuKyotei

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
I agree with Aelms.  His hate for the giants comes off as fairly shallow.  If anything, he constantly switches between "I want to kill ALL of the giants!" and "Can I do this?!".  I don't know if this is bad characterization on the part of the show, or intentional.  It could be intentional, judging from the fact that he had a sudden panic attack while thinking about his mother's death.  Either he's really trying to keep the hate up artificially or he has a horrible memory.  He hasn't thought of that moment the entire time he was answering questions? 

1 - 3:
So, all I can think while watching this is: "Shounen trope A? Check.  Shounen trope B? Check.  Characters with faces that never match the situation? Check.  The other recruits cheering for the guy they were previously laughing at for obvious failure? Check.  Overcoming the odds despite faulty equipment, proving he's got the ability to do this? Check. 

This show is just full of tropes.  While it has potential, I'm afraid this is going to go past JoJo's level of fun and try to take itself way too seriously.  So far, it has none of the signs that show that this show is just having fun.   When a show that relies on all of the old tropes tries to take itself seriously, it becomes laughable in the bad way. 

Time skips and frustrations aside, all I could notice in the third episode was the characters having faces that never matched the situation.  Eren succeeds despite the odds?  The future characters just have a half bored, half surprised face.  His obvious love interest/best friend talks about him being relieved to be with her?  They just sort of look at her with the same exact face.  They go to an obviously amazing site before jump cutting to the future examination?  Our super focused, mean main character just sort of has a determined face to succeed.  Yeah, don't look at the moon light lighting the beautiful landscape and lake.  As for the first two episodes, I just feel like its taking all of it too seriously.  It sets up the drama well with serious character moments, then just has the girl punch the main character when he could obviously just be calmed down by any other method that doesn't include physical abuse.  Then, to top it all off, she forces the bread into his mouth.  It's called tearing off a piece of bread and putting it into his mouth.  You can at least try to be kind to him. 

Now, before you guys jump on me for bagging on the shounen tropes, I don't mind them.  They're decent to great if you use them sparingly or correctly.  That means using them in ways that let you take it seriously or just having so much fun that it let's you forget everything but what's on the screen.  This show seems to take the route of "If we combine human drama with the tropes, it's going to work perfectly!" when I think that it might go bad at some point.  It might not, but I'm remaining neutral after three episodes.  It has potential to rise above all of the problems and potential problems.  If it doesn't, then I think we're destined to see another average show on the cusp of the last season, the season of bad and mediocre shows.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »
3:

Why not? I assumed that Eren's character arc would be him trying to let go of his hate, or something to that effect. After watching his mom get eaten, I don't find it unbelievable that Eren would want revenge. 

That's what I thought at first too. I'm convinced after the end of ep. 3 that his relationship with Mikasa is a more important aspect of why he developed his worldview and chose to become a soldier. While we don't hear it from his monologue, he was obviously afraid of failing so blatantly in front of her. It's not just a romance thing either as its been suggested that Mikasa is the more capable individual in all aspect; I'm thinking that Eren feels some sort of need to prove himself to her. Having revenge as his only motivation is also make him a boring and predictable character.

With the critical acclaim that this manga seems to have received, I'm hoping that the story would focus on its characters and setting rather than throwing fight after fight at us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up