Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 02:31:57 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Laughing Salesman (New)  (Read 906 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

The Laughing Salesman (New)
« on: April 04, 2017, 12:40:35 AM »
1:

Oh, okay, it IS more xxxHolic than the synopsis let on.  Considering this is based on a manga (by the same person who did Doraemon, no less) from the 1970s, the concept of the "careful what you wish for" type story has been done many times before, but here we have a much more earnestness to how the people get themselves in trouble than others.  Like I said, it is more like xxxHolic in that regard.  Granting people's desires is easy, getting them to stay within the rules is another thing entirely.  Whether or not the titular character is an evil creature, a devilish tempter, if you will, is actually a lot more vague than you'd think.  He sure as hell isn't supposed to be altruistic nor helpful either, though.  It seems to me that he is simply a force of nature; he represents the avenue at which people screw themselves over.  More like an embodiment of the decision process of free will that we make to **** up.  He shows people the door, but they walk through it willingly, and then they take a left turn when they were supposed to just stay straight.  He claims that he gets his reward by watching them fill the emptiness in their hearts, by acting out on their selfish desires, but the punishments for violating the rules don't seem to bring him any misery either.  Again, he is just an actor on the stage, a walking plot device, and, therefore, the consequence as well.

It is interesting, but it will most likely get old fast.  Watching people be stupid can only be entertaining if the consequences are horrific.  I thought the second story person was going to get it much worse than she did, so maybe I'm the ****ed up one here.  I don't know.  I'll tell you what I do know, that intro is one of the best I've ever seen.  Stylish, fun, creative, you can tell they had a good time putting that mother together.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: The Laughing Salesman (New)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:29:28 PM »
2:

Yeah, there really isn't going to be much to say about this show on a weekly basis unless it does something incredibly bizarre.

Which it hasn't, yet.  Also, how many of these stories are going to involve copious amounts of alcohol?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:58:32 AM »
3:

At first, Moguro-san didn't seem to be malicious.  He gave the people what they want and because they're stupid humans who can't follow simple rules, Moguro-san punishes them.  Like, real old school mythological levels of morality lessons or some rot.  Thing is, that's not what he is at all.  He's actually quite malicious.  He picks targets and sets them up to fail, knowing damn well that they wont be able to keep their promises.  He is a villain, pure and simple, but perhaps he is still a "force of nature" of sorts.  Not necessarily nefarious, just doing his job, whatever that may be.  He is Faustian, or perhaps more of the classic temptations of Lucifer, where free will is important in following the proper path.  Does he do these things because he likes to see the fail?  What does he get out of them failing?  Doesn't seem to be the typical "soul devoured" thing, so maybe it is just a paycheck for him from... I don't know.... SATAN!?  Maybe he personally delights in delivering the final punishment, or maybe that isn't true at all.  His freakish appearance, always a twisted toothy smile, and his constant laughter, could also just be the physical and mental remains of a broken man, who, himself once was one of the victims.  This was his punishment, to walk the Earth and punish others, and the only way he can deal with it is laughing and wearing a disturbing grin.

Or he's just the devil.  Whichever.  My story is more fun.

Offline jakew354

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »
Laughing salesman was sort of the type of anime that I watch when I want to feel a cruel sense of sadness and/or justice.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:14:57 AM »
There are times when I'm with Moguro-san on these people being imbeciles, but sometimes it just doesn't seem like anything but cruelty.  This dude in this episode with the mom and the girlfriend?  No, that pussy ass ****face deserved everything he got.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »
5:

Okay, now Moguro is just being a dick.  That second client was all his doing and he destroyed a perfectly happy family for seemingly no reason.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »
6:

There he goes again, being a deceptive dick to the first guy, who didn't even violate any of Moguro's rules.  The second guy was mostly an unlucky bastard defeated by irony, but he DID break the rules.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 02:54:44 AM »
7:

Okay, now I don't know what to think of Moguro.  That first act he flat out admits that he got involved just because he was feeling froggy, and destroyed a happy family for no reason.  The husband may have had desires, but he wasn't going to act on them.  Moguro was directly responsible, as he often is, and again there were no rules broken, except the rule to never get involved with Moguro.

The second act was a lot more of an actual lesson to be learned, which is to not to appease obnoxious twats and their bad behavior, as this just enables them to get more and more obnoxious and twattish.  Naturally, Moguro could have gone about it a better way, and instead did things in the most asshole way possible.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 02:37:45 AM »
8:

Two firsts happened in this episode:

1). Moguro actually killed someone.
2). Moguro actually used "DON" on someone who truly deserved it.  ****ing drunk.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 03:17:59 AM »
9:

Well, that's two people Moguro has gotten killed, and another instance where some asshole deserved everything he got.  That second one was a real pisser for me, heading into chemical research fields once I'm done with college, so I was totally on Moguro's side there.  Hell, ****er got off light.  The other guy just wanted to photograph a ****ing painting and got murdered by a ghost.  Was what he did so much worse than this clown?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »
10:

Okay, so, both of these stories rubbed me the wrong way and for different reasons.

In the first, okay, so you fall for the cute one, but the not cute one falls for you, and you start seeing her a bit even though you're pining for the cute one.  This is an old story plot, and usually ends either in tragedy or someone (Orange Road) or ends in a revelation that beauty comes from within or some rubbish (The Truth About Cats & Dogs, and about a thousand other movies because being superficial is a sin these days), but this one takes things in a direction that only Moguro thinks is appropriate.  So in a fit of loneliness and alcohol, our hero decides to "use" the not-cute one for a one night stand fling.  He knows she loves him, but he doesn't love her, so, yeah, he's kind of a scumbag here.  I'm not letting the girl off the hook for willingly going along with this, since she isn't THAT stupid (Moguro's fantasy sequence is probably spot on, which means the not-cute one knows the man is into the cute one, so she has no illusions here), and it takes two to have a one night stand (believe me, I've tried doing it another way), BUT the narrative of the story (and by that I mean Morguro's determination) is that the man is in the wrong here.  Well, Moguro DID warn him, but I don't know what Moguro's business is here.  Yeah, he man should have broken it off with a girl he's not in love with, but humans are stupid.  Here's the thing:  Moguro doesn't give two shits about the not cute one either.  So it isn't like he's doing some kind of bizarro SJW work here.  Moguro just wants people to suffer.  So what does he do?  Well, in a very humorous moment aimed at all them otakus out there, he has the man "take responsibility" and "DON!"s them into getting married.

This is where things get weird.  Not only can Moguro apparently fast forward time for people after the "DON!", but he can apparently make that future whatever the **** he wants.  I men, let us get real for a second here:  is getting with and marrying the not cute one supposed to be the BAD END?  I know lots of people who are with not all that attractive significant others (both male and female) and they're perfectly happy together living rich and full lives.  Sure, from the man's perspective, this is a loveless hell, so I'm fine with that, but Moguro apparently decided to also turn the not cute one into the stereotypical "bitch housewife" and made her even more overweight and not cute than she was before.  What the ****, Moguro?  I get that you wanted to punish the guy, but did you really have to **** with HER life as well?  Shit, we don't even know if these actors that Moguro uses in his schemes even exist, or if they're all manifestations of his powers, but we have to deal with the possibility that Moguro just goes out of his way to **** everybody up, even if they're not the "customer".

Long story short:  Moguro is a ****ing ass.

The second story rubs me the wrong way because Moguro is blatantly praying upon the loneliness and abandonment issues many elderly around the world deal with.  To ME, this episode wasn't about the old man so much as the audience and what terrible ****ing people they are for not calling up their Grandpa every so often and hanging out.  That's right, ****ers, if you don't keep tabs on your grandparents, some big smiley faced Japanese saleman ****er is going to come along and trap them into a personal hell.  SO CALL YOUR GODDAMN GRANDPARENTS ONCE IN A WHILE!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »
11:

Moguro-san has gone too far this time.

No, I don't mean the A-part, where we have a standard case of some schmuck who can't handle his perfect life pulling a minor "Fight Club" moment where he just wants to live dangerously for the thrills and, thus, ending up in the gutter where he belongs.  No, seriously, **** that guy.  He deserved his ending.  Damned mean of Moguro to drag the guy's poor wife to the bar, though.  She didn't deserve that.  So **** you there, Moguro-san, but the guy?  **** the guy.

The B-part starts off well enough, with your fairly standard "parent forcing her ideals / dreams on the daughter" motif, revolving around the idol industry, and Moguro-san stepping into to give the mom a mind control device that will make her daughter fulfill her (mom's) dream.  That's all standard Moguro-san shit.  Of course there's a warning, and of course the mom doesn't heed it, because what show do you think you're watching, moron?  Moguro-san knows who can't resist breaking the rules.  He's setting people up here!  C'mon!

So after the inevitable trouble shows up for breaking the rules, daughter is dancing in the streets ready to be killed.  Moguro-san has deliberately put a 14 year old girl in a life or death situation to force mom to deal with her issues.  Inevitably, mom realizes that a living daughter is more important to her than her dream, and Moguro-san steps in to save the day, of sorts.  With a mighty 'DO~N!', he manages to not only save the girl, but apparently ended the threat of Truck-kun forever.  Either that, or he transported it to the manga world of Fuuka at... you know... the right moment.  Because Moguro-san is an ass.  The resolution is that the daughter is free to not be an idol anymore, but now MOM is forced to attempt to fulfill her dream on her own, and so a middle aged woman ends up on stage trying to make her debut in front of an, understandably confused crowd.  As Moguro-san muses that she might pull a Susan Boyle (he doesn't say that, but it would have been awesome if he did), we fade to black with the traditional Moguro-san laughter.

All of that I can forgive.  All of this is standard Moguro-san fare, complete with suffering in a different sense, though I would argue that mom got off lighter than most rule violators.  Or did she?  Because, you see, mom was voiced by Kikuko Inoue, ultra beloved famous anime voice actress and singer who forever will be sevente....

Wait, did she just say her character's age was THIRTY-SEVEN!?  THIRTY-SEVEN!!  THAT'S NOT KIKUKO INOUE'S TRADEMARK!  THAT'S... MOGURO-SAN BROKE KIKUKO INOUE!  MOGURO-SAN!  MOOOOOOGGGUUURRRROOOOO-SSSAAAAANN!!!!

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »
I see you would you rather she was a 17 y.o. mother with a 14 y.o. daughter.

Oi oi.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »
12:

What the hell was that, Moguro-san?  A straight con?  A regular old common scam?  Thieving someone of their money so you can go to Hawaii?

That's not Moguro-san.  That's an imposter!
Pages: [1]   Go Up