Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 03:05:52 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2013: A Year in Review  (Read 8955 times)

Offline hyperknees91

Re: 2013: A Year in Review
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »
Was not surprised one bit to see Shin Sekai at least mentioned on almost everyone's list haha.

For me the two best were that and battle tendency (Joseph Joestar went into my top 5 anime characters). I might have considered WA2 if I had not read the rest of the story which vastly deteriorated my enjoyment, but as a standalone, it's easily the best romance of the year. Watamote was a surprisingly easy and at the same time difficult to watch show (everyone whose watched it knows what I mean). So glad to see it getting mentioned as that was also good stuff.

Oh and I didn't even know Space Yamamoto finished. Guess I have something to watch now.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:02:50 PM by hyperknees91 »

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • Desdemondia's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Desdemondia
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »
It boils down to Psycho Pass, and Zetsuen no Tempest.
I can't really put a finger on it's flaws, outside of of those elements simply not being present during weaker episodes, and the somewhat deus ex machina ending. Between the two, I'd have go with Zetsuen no Tempest.

Regarding Zetsuen No Tempest, one curious thing I've noticed is that the term 'I can't quite put my finger on' is a reoccurring phrase used in association with the show concerning the flaws. 
Personally, I feel it's the amount of relation and connection viewers feel with the characters, which then in turn affects the impression of the show on the whole, and this might also explain how elusively intangible the flaw is.

While we're on characterization, Zetsuen's fault mainly lies in its initially rather un-attachable cast because out of the two MCs, Mahiro was a look-cool asshole with a sister complex, and the other was a quiet nobody.. initially. Simply put, just no character to care much about, regardless of the interest you have in the show's premise. However, this is not saying that the characterization process throughout was a problem as they handled the cast quite well, though I have a peeve with Hakaze's change in personality, but anyways..

While Yoshino is predominantly detached for much of the first part, he seemed to fill the role of a wild-card with his mysterious subdued yet rational persona. Mahiro was just a Hamlet-like puppet who was interesting, but y'know..
They seemed akin to distant characters on a stage in a Shakespearean play, which you might say is a plus because who doesn't like more Shakespearean aspects to connect it to? But I personally felt it was somewhat disengaging on that part, save for Aika who was deliciously enigmatic except everyone was still sort of held at an arm's length or more.
The experience seems to degrade a bit after watching, affecting the overall impression even though while in the midst of viewing it, tis' indeed great fun, whether its the jokes hitting their mark or the riveting mystery that unfolds. However, as said before, it really peaked around mid-series and the outer ends of the show were lacking in engaging substance, mainly the first chunk. Though some claim the first half of the series was better, I'd say that it was a slightly poor introduction with the throwing together of the iron disease, butterflies, and trees. It's generally just described as having something essential lacking from the series that no one's sure about.
On the other hand, Psycho Pass and Shinsekai were quite captivating from the start along with all 3's great finish which is why Zetsuen takes a backseat to all that.

Lol Pebble, I knew the moment I wrote that, you'd come running. I think we've beaten to death why Shinsekai's the choice and for that, I felt it was mostly that strictly this year's shows were relatively lackluster with good titles but nothing too groundbreaking, which is where Shinsekai rises to the top.

The big three (in order) would be Psycho Pass if it weren't already on 2012's list, Shinsekai Yori, and then Zetsuen no Tempest, with Chihayafuru S2 needing a mention somewhere.

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
Glad to see Shin Sekai Yori to have gotten so much praise. It was the first show since Phantom Requiem that I followed while it was airing, and it is the first show in years to actually penetrate my top 3 anime list (now it's second only to Haibane Renmei). It really is the kind of show that affirms why I am an anime fan. As much as I've enjoyed many other shows that have aired recently, none have had as much of a strong effect on me as Shin Sekai Yori. I know people think that this was kind of a dud year and so Shin Sekai Yori basically won AOTY by default, but for me even for any other recent year besides maybe 2007 it would definitely take the cake.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 09:53:04 PM »
Rather surprised on Yamato 2199 getting a vote since that came out of left field for me.  (I don't even recall a thread about the series being made on the forum.)  The saddest thing for me is the fact that Shin Sekai Yori is the only series I actually viewed in the entire article. Then again, that is probably the only series I would be convinced of as Best of the Year even if I viewed all of these other series.  Definitely happy on a Leijiverse anime getting a nod since so many entries for a good number of years have been quite mediocre and disappointing.  (When even Harlock fails to entertain, something is very wrong.)  So, I guess I will at least have one series to check out now since I am not too interested in anything else.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »
It was hard to maintain a running thread for Yamato 2199 with episodes coming out every few months instead of weekly.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts
    • Funky_Dealer's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
While I do need to catch up on a bunch of the nominations as well as some that weren't, I can certainly see and agree with the nominations. I still wish Love Lab got more recognition, but I understand why it didn't make the cut here.

And I'll just get Shinsekai Yori out of the way with this response:

I am also constantly surprised by how much love Squealer gets, not for him being a bitter, slick and unapologetic bastard, but because people actually agreed with his cause. Let's not forget that Squealer was trying to run queerats through the entiretly of human history, which as was already extensively covered by the show, f***ing sucked, and that for all his claims of equality, he was leading a very hierarchical queerat society, one that would remain hierarchical and exploitative even when the queerats entered the liberal capitalist democracy phase.

I think it's a mix of both, mostly because the world does a pretty good job at painting a horrible picture for everything there. It doesn't make Squealer a saint, but he had a justified claim for revolution even if his means and his ends weren't any better that what the humans were doing. And maybe people like rooting for an underdog (underqueerat?) when the humans in charge only got worse with each episode.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 12:57:10 AM »
Well I'll be damned, I know I haven't been following as much anime last year but to have not even heard of some the nominees... looks like I'll have fun catching up on some of those later on.

In overall the year seems to be relatively similar to 2012 in certain ways, and arguably one of the better years - despite the divided opinions on certain shows, looking back now I think we've had a fairly good pool of quality anime for a wide variety of tastes, although there were only few that have made a real impact to be considered as a defining show of the year.

Given the embarrassing number of shows I've seen this year and a crapload of shows that I still need to finish, my favourites from 2013 essentially boil down to Shin Sekai Yori, Zetsuen no Tempest, Pyscho-Pass, Monogatari S2, Chihayafuru 2 and Space Bros. As much as I loved them all, my vote goes Shin Sekai Yori for being possibly one of the most ambitious and well-crafted piece of work I've seen in recent years. While there are some inconsistencies and faults at times, the show as a whole delivers some of most gripping stories in anime, taking up the concept of a 'futuristic' dystopian society into a whole new level as Saki and co. gradually learn about the dark truths about their society and how humanity has carved itself by virtue of their cantus powers... and there's also Squealer, hands down the character of the year for single-handedly bringing the whole show altogether. I personally think the ending also deserves a special mention as it was phenomenal in its own right, delivering what was one of the most satisfying and memorable conclusion for an anime in recent times.

Edit: Damn, I've been following NHRV since 2006 (which isn't even as long as some people)... and it's 2014 already? Time sure flies - keep up the good work y'all good fellows of NHRV, always a pleasure to read everyone's discussions and posts while I'm being a lazy ass just reading 'em away
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:13:30 AM by HirakuNoShadow »

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 06:43:35 AM »
I think it's a mix of both, mostly because the world does a pretty good job at painting a horrible picture for everything there. It doesn't make Squealer a saint, but he had a justified claim for revolution even if his means and his ends weren't any better that what the humans were doing. And maybe people like rooting for an underdog (underqueerat?) when the humans in charge only got worse with each episode.

I don't necessarily agree with everything Squealer did, as he was obviously very two faced. But it was obvious he had all the right intentions in his heart from the start, which was to free his fellow queer from the human reign. I think the scene where he accepts his punishment for his incompetence is really what brought him back though.

Regardless, the man took some drastic measures because well...all the odds were against him. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up