Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 08:15:26 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Busters!  (Read 54531 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Little Busters!
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
Imperial, do remember that even if you're a fast reader, people can often speak faster than words can be read.  Dialogue can be handled rather quickly.  It's the "events" that make things work or don't work.

And, if I may add, being a veteran of several other adaptations of Key works, there is a TON OF SHIT that can be cut out and not matter.  Like, oh, half the "cute" moments that any of the girls do as a result of the main male character teasing them?  Aside from "awww, she's so moe!" the **** do those scenes add to anything?  The fact of the matter is, a lot of the dialogue is filler and can be surgically removed.  I'm not saying all of it can be, because you still need those moments of non-drama to make the drama work (or you end up with Kimi-Nozo's adaptation), but you can still ax a ton of shit.

Now, of course, I say "surgically removed", which implies that a practiced and skillful hand is required.  How much faith do you think I have in JC Staff?  Go on, ask!
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
Imperial, do remember that even if you're a fast reader, people can often speak faster than words can be read.  Dialogue can be handled rather quickly.  It's the "events" that make things work or don't work.

I think I read faster than they talk. They never finish talking before I finish reading the sentence, if that's what you mean. I think if you actually wait for them to finish talking, the game will take towards 150 hours...

And, if I may add, being a veteran of several other adaptations of Key works, there is a TON OF SHIT that can be cut out and not matter.  Like, oh, half the "cute" moments that any of the girls do as a result of the main male character teasing them?  Aside from "awww, she's so moe!" the **** do those scenes add to anything?  The fact of the matter is, a lot of the dialogue is filler and can be surgically removed.  I'm not saying all of it can be, because you still need those moments of non-drama to make the drama work (or you end up with Kimi-Nozo's adaptation), but you can still ax a ton of shit.

Precisely. That's why I said you need 100 episodes, because if you actually animate every single scene from the visual novel, it will take far, far more than 100 episodes. What I'm saying is that you need 100 episodes to animate every character route to a fairly watchable level, and then refrain which follows after all the side routes. Am I wrong? Of course you can axe a ton of stuff that doesn't matter. I even said that Little Busters can get boring to play at times because as you said, there is just so much of those "cute" moments that it gets tedious to see them so often.

Now, of course, I say "surgically removed", which implies that a practiced and skillful hand is required.  How much faith do you think I have in JC Staff?  Go on, ask!

Do I really need to ask this when we both already know the answer? :P

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, J.C Staff is only doing Sakurasou this season.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »
I think Imperial is exaggerating a little. The game is lengthy but it's no fate stay night or muv-luv alternative.

Quite honestly I only care that they do Kud and Haruka's route properly, that and refrain...if they rush the rest I'm not gonna really mind much (because lets face it the other routers are considerably weaker in execution).

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »
The game is lengthy but it's no fate stay night or muv-luv alternative.

I really think it took me longer to play through Little Busters than F/SN or Muv-Luv Alternative. Unless you're including Extra and Unlimited as well, in which case it would be around the same amount of time.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 09:27:17 PM »
Keep in mind they will probably add extra cours. That's what happened with Clannad.

Honestly JC staff is no kyoani in terms of visuals, but their adaption of the material is pretty spot on IMO. Whether you like the content of the source material is a whole different matter.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 02:36:11 AM »
Oh yeah...

2:

Holy retard moe, Batman.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline shiijin

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
2: The Moe meter is off the charts in this one. I do like the fact that everything feels like it has slowed down. The gags are either hitting more than missing, or it's just growing on me.

I dislike that they chose narcolepsy as the "mysterious unknown disease" trope. wouldn't Riki exhibit other symptoms such as imsomnia, sleeping on the desk in school, always looking tired, and so on? They haven't hinted at the narcolepsy previously at all, and that makes me feel like its tacked on. Something so integral to the MC's life should at least show a little bit, right?

Offline Aelms

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 06:32:02 PM »
2. The adaptation shifted the focus from always being from the perspective of Riki and more towards portraying Little Busters as a whole. I guess the hints were dropped in favour of introducing the characters and moving the plot along at a faster pace.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »
Precisely. That's why I said you need 100 episodes, because if you actually animate every single scene from the visual novel, it will take far, far more than 100 episodes. What I'm saying is that you need 100 episodes to animate every character route to a fairly watchable level, and then refrain which follows after all the side routes. Am I wrong? Of course you can axe a ton of stuff that doesn't matter. I even said that Little Busters can get boring to play at times because as you said, there is just so much of those "cute" moments that it gets tedious to see them so often.

"After a first run through of the game I thought 100 episodes might be required to get everything in, but if we were thorough 200 would be necessary. If you make it into an anime, that’s just how much volume it has.
Of course, at some point it will not be possible to continue, so there still needs to be a cut-off… though unfortunately we’ll be leaving plenty of scenes fans will really want to see."

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/10/18/little-busters-needs-200-episodes/

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »
"After a first run through of the game I thought 100 episodes might be required to get everything in, but if we were thorough 200 would be necessary. If you make it into an anime, that’s just how much volume it has. Of course, at some point it will not be possible to continue, so there still needs to be a cut-off… though unfortunately we’ll be leaving plenty of scenes fans will really want to see."

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/10/18/little-busters-needs-200-episodes/

Yeah, that's what I said. Even 100 episodes isn't truly enough to show all of the materials. You will need 200. If they do something like 24 episodes, they have to head straight into Refrain. I'm guessing they'll do that. After all, that's the thing most fans want to see.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »
3:

Hmm, Naoe's narcolepsy subplot seems to be put on the sidelines for now. Not sure why the story does so when it only introduced it on the previous episode. For now, I'm just going to enjoy Kurugaya the Troll Princess. A princess enjoying tea like royalty, on rickety furniture... huh, classic.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2012, 02:13:12 AM »
Eps 1-3

Usually I'm all over Key stuff, but this show is a giant pile of "meh".  Worse than that, actually.  I don't really find it entertaining at all.  These characters are just so annoying, and the comedy feels like it's just trying to ramp everything up to the nth degree.  It's like a Kishi Seiji anime on steroids.  In fact, Kishi Seiji would have been a better choice of director for this considering the good work he did last season on Humanity Has Declined.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »
^

Personally I feel LB! has the strongest start of any KEY work and altogether has a more likable cast than any previous one too. Then again this is coming from someone who pretty much disliked Clannad and even dropped after story before the last episode.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 05:18:56 PM »
Ep 4

That was a little better, but it's still not exactly screaming that this has potential.  I'm guessing this is setting up the start of the Komari arc which also implies the show is going to be fairly (if not strictly) modular, which is generally how Key works are adapted (in fact, I can't think of a Key anime that wasn't).

Spoiler for Speculation:
I think Myst's theory that Kyousuke will be removed from the picture at some point to give Riki room to grow as a character makes a lot of sense, so I strongly expect it to happen. 
It does speak to a weakness of Riki's character at this point though, and why the story feels rather directionless.  In prior Key works, the male leads generally drove where the story went.  Riki just seems to be floating around on whatever whims the other characters around him have.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Up