Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 01:41:48 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Busters!  (Read 53465 times)

Offline leokiko.

Re: Little Busters!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »
^this is a Key work, what were you expecting from the first episode? Did you expect Clannad to be so good when it started?

Just so you know, the hype went considerably down due to J.C Staff's involvement. I agree with you though that this episode was fairly underwhelming and had a lack of direction, it was word by word with the Visual Novel, but with shitty character designs/animation. It pleased old-school fans but it was not good fror newcomers.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
Kanon and Clannad both grabbed me from the beginning.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
I have nothing to say besides that the beginning of LB! is indeed underwhelming, so stick with it for a few more episodes. Although, they are starting it with the weakest route, Komari, so I could easily bet that you will drop this soon.

I played only 1 route, but not the real one that they say it's the best , Refrain, which is like the ~After Story~ part of Clannad. I will only watch the first route. If the staff and J.C Staff screws up(the lack of direction on this episode and the annoying change of BGM's between scenes are not good indicators of quality) I will drop it and play the game.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »
difference with little busters and clannad and kanon and air is that they balanced drama and comedy even just a little bit at the beginning (with more focus on comedy of course), while little busters is just straight up comedy until the individual girl routes begin.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »
1:

Well... that didn't go too bad.

The first episode went kinda well for me. Not exactly the best first episode I've seen, but like most Key titles, they never start off with an amazing episode. Animation-wise, it's not exactly Kyoto Animation standard animation but it's not horrible either. It's like on a third tier with Kyoto Animation at number one and P.A. Works at number two when it comes to slice of life. I have to admit that it wasn't the most fun episode I could have hoped from the material it has, and I think I know why...

I'll be blunt:  if I didn't know this was a work by Key, I'd have turned this off halfway through the first episode.  Is it just the first episode and am I probably not thinking clearly?  Yep.  Doesn't change that this first episode felt stupid as hell.  And, yes, there is something missing from any Key work not being done by Kyoto Animation.  It will be unfair to JC Staff, but I can't help feeling that way.

I think J.C. Staff can't do what KyoAni can: giving its series more flair. I think most of the credits we give to KyoAni has been on the production values and aesthetic capacity, but what I think many people don't give credit for is the resultant flair that renders the show more enjoyable. The same thing happened for Hyouka: one of the major reasons the show proved to be better than originally thought was because of KyoAni. And it's always tempting to imagine how good it would have been if only it had produced this show instead of J.C. Staff... or even P.A. Works.

But I won't drop this show: it's way too high-profile for me to give it a pass, and the light-hearted story (well, at least for now) is enjoyable enough for me.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 07:46:31 AM »
2:

There are those who would get a heart attack from watching Kamikita, and then there are those who get annoyed instead. Sadly, I belong to the latter group of people. She's purely moe material... on a verge of being an imbecile (no offense, though).

Two things make me wonder now: 1) why is Rin so awkward around Kitakami? Is it just because she's not used to having female friends? 2) how does Naoe's nacrolepsy affect the people around him? What is the agenda for this?

Offline SQA

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
On #2: Narcolepsy is one of those stupidly easy story telling devices.  It's an instant "OMG DRAMA!!!" button that can be pressed any time its needed.  Though if they keep it consistent in utilization, it can work okay.  It also allows for quick time-skips, in story, if the entire series is done from Riki's point of view.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 12:47:17 AM »
I played only 1 route, but not the real one that they say it's the best

You need to play through every route before you can play the real route, and there is a reason for doing so.

Given that Little Busters is only two-cour, I have already lost faith that this will be a good adaptation. Even 50 episodes is not anywhere near enough enough to cover Little Busters properly, let alone 24. Just play the visual novel to the end - I don't think you'll regret it. It is definitely the best work KEY has ever done.

Even Clannad, with it's 50 episodes, had to drop kyou, tomoyo and most of the after story arcs altogether. Little Busters is not only longer than Clannad, but considering the way the story works, I simply cannot see how they can animate the whole thing to a satisfactory level without dropping ALL of the side heroine arcs and heading straight for Refrain.

Of course...that would still be terrible, since the side arcs is what gives Refrain its emotional impact.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 12:53:09 AM »
I played only 1 route, but not the real one that they say it's the best

You need to play through every route before you can play the real route, and there is a reason for doing so.

Given that Little Busters is only two-cour, I have already lost faith that this will be a good adaptation. Even 50 episodes is barely enough to cover Little Busters properly, let alone 24. Just play the visual novel to the end - I don't think you'll regret it. It is definitely the best work KEY has ever done.
There's always a chance for a second season, specially since this is J.C Staff. Or do you think it's impossible to cover it all with 1 season of 24 episodes + another with 13?

Anyway, I was hoping to see the reactions of the fans before continuing the VN. The second episode was surprisingly enjoyable, though the animation is still awful.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 12:58:47 AM »
There's always a chance for a second season, specially since this is J.C Staff. Or do you think it's impossible to cover it all with 1 season of 24 episodes + another with 13?

Anyway, I was hoping to see the reactions of the fans before continuing the VN. The second episode was surprisingly enjoyable, though the animation is still awful.

Let's just put it this way - you will need 100 episodes at least if you actually want to tell Little Buster's story in its entirety.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Little Busters doesn't work like most visual novels. Every character's routes are actually alternate universes (kind of like Steins;Gate), and all the experiences that the player gathers in these different routes are combined together in one final "true route" called Refrain, which is the true ending.

The only way that this is going to work in two-cours is if they drop every single route and go straight into Refrain. However, if they do that, they will lose much of the emotional impact that Refrain generates due to the experiences you gathered from individual character routes. That's why I was convinced Little Busters wouldn't actually get an anime. It's a really tough title to adapt.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:58 AM »
Let's just put it this way - you will need 100 episodes at least if you actually want to tell Little Buster's story in its entirety.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Little Busters doesn't work like most visual novels. Every character's routes are actually alternate universes (kind of like Steins;Gate), and all the experiences that the player gathers in these different routes are combined together in one final "true route" called Refrain, which is the true ending.

The only way that this is going to work in two-cours is if they drop every single route and go straight into Refrain. However, if they do that, they will lose much of the emotional impact that Refrain generates due to the experiences you gathered from individual character routes. That's why I was convinced Little Busters wouldn't actually get an anime. It's a really tough title to adapt.
Wow, I truly didn't know that. That does make me rethink a bit about what I'm going to do. I might just play a few more routes to see what you are talking about. Thanks for the info.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 01:10:34 AM »
Wow, I truly didn't know that. That does make me rethink a bit about what I'm going to do. I might just play a few more routes to see what you are talking about. Thanks for the info.

Thing is, you have to play every single character route before you can unlock Refrain, and I think you should understand why given what I just told you. That takes a long time - around 70 hours for me, and I'm a pretty fast reader. There are too many characters in Little Busters. =/

Are you an experienced VN player? Playing a 100+ hour VN like Little Busters with no prior experience can be daunting. That's like 300 anime episodes in length of time.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 01:18:24 AM »
Thing is, you have to play every single character route before you can unlock Refrain, and I think you should understand why given what I just told you. That takes a long time - around 70 hours for me, and I'm a pretty fast reader. There are too many characters in Little Busters. =/

Are you an experienced VN player? Playing a 100+ hour VN like Little Busters with no prior experience can be daunting. That's like 300 anime episodes in length of time.
I've only played Fate Stay Night and a bit of Ever17(which I will come back to soon), so yea inexperienced. But time isn't really a problem for me if the VN is enjoyable, which LB! very much is.

Which route is the longest one you would say? I don't mind putting a lot of time in it but if I'm gonna go back to it I might as well play the shortest one. I only finished Kud's route so far and it didn't take too long. I was at the beginning of Komari's route but stopped when the anime started.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 02:05:45 AM »
I've only played Fate Stay Night and a bit of Ever17(which I will come back to soon), so yea inexperienced. But time isn't really a problem for me if the VN is enjoyable, which LB! very much is.

Which route is the longest one you would say? I don't mind putting a lot of time in it but if I'm gonna go back to it I might as well play the shortest one. I only finished Kud's route so far and it didn't take too long. I was at the beginning of Komari's route but stopped when the anime started.

Ever17 is one of the most epic things ever written by mankind. However, you have to play through all 4 routes, and then the true end will be unlocked. It keeps its cards extremely hidden until the final arc where it will blow your mind. It works in a way very similar to Little Busters. You DO need a walkthrough for Ever17. It's only 30 hours ish too - much shorter than Fate/stay night if you played all 3 arcs there. I recommend you play through that ASAP. Let's not derail this thread, and talk about Ever17 in its own thread which Sorrow created years ago. http://www.nihonreview.com/forum/index.php?topic=804.15

On the contrary, there are many instances LB gets boring. It's because it's so long, and you can definitely lose interest quite easily.

Offline SQA

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 04:13:04 AM »
On the anime, as a non-VN player, I'm liking it quite a bit.  The humor mostly works and it's absurd enough to keep your interest.  It'll probably pale compared to the VN, given it's length and regard, but that doesn't mean it's bad.  This is a different medium, after all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Up