Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 09:34:24 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure  (Read 45841 times)

Offline leokiko.

Re: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
Because this is old-school, that's all. It is supposed to be full of itself because that's what shonens were back then. It's not bad, it's just not for you, so drop it if you didn't like it up until now. But I guess you enjoy torturing yourself through stuff you don't like.

Offline SQA

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »
I wouldn't say its full of itself.  This is more like Spinal Tap Kombat.  And I love it.  It's over the top, glorious and unashamedly fun.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
I don't think you can call an intentionally ridiculous show full of itself. The author is just having fun with his own work and not letting anything stop him haha.

I can see where you're coming from though, but that's just the nature of over-the-top shounen action.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »
Okay... just trying to help you guys understand something:  there's a reason something becomes a throwback.  It's because it was okay when it was fresh, but once we all grew up a bit and realized how ****ing stupid it was, we moved on and refined our tastes, and the industry advanced as well.  I'm not saying modern shounen are great either, but we don't see this kind of ultra cheesy crap anymore on purpose.

This is how the manga went, back when it started, so I'm not blaming the mangaka or anything for doing something that was hip at the time.  I also don't know snot about later volumes of the manga, so I don't know if he improved this or not.  I can even forgive the fans of the original thing for continuing with it.  I mean, by this point, it's just familiar to them.

But bear in mind I'm coming into this cold, and for a guy like me, this is ****ing awful.  I get it.  It was cool back then.  Now?  Gimme a break.  They also had to realize this, but just decided to do a faithful adaptation.  Hey, whatever rocks your boat.  But don't try to sell me on this dated crap being good, because it ain't.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »
I'd rather have Jojo a billion times than more shit shonens like Ao no Exorcist from today.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
I don't think anyone's trying to say it's "good" per say. It's a fun hammy show, that's all there is to it (which of course not everyone will like).

The problem with most shounen action shows these days is they take themselves a little too seriously (hence why hunter x hunter and one piece dominate all of them).

That being said there is true crap from back in the day that is crap (baki the grappler ewwwww). But yeah, like you said it's a rather niche genre for these days. It's usually in video games like no more heroes, then anime.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:51:09 PM by hyperknees91 »

Offline fluffybunnyboy

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 12:49:19 AM »
It's because it was okay when it was fresh, but once we all grew up a bit and realized how ****ing stupid it was, we moved on and refined our tastes, and the industry advanced as well.
So you emphasize that you're an adult, and you think that your "tastes" are much too "refined" to enjoy a show that's meant to be ridiculous, goofy fun.

And you think this show is full of itself? =P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:58:47 AM by fluffybunnyboy »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 04:02:39 AM »
And you think this show is full of itself? =P

Hmm... it's almost as if I didn't try to say that I'm a pretentious adult on purpose so that I could point out why Jojo's Bizarre Adventure sucks balls. 

Yeah, I'm full of myself because I'm not a ****ing kid anymore.  Try to keep up.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline fluffybunnyboy

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 05:09:59 AM »
Hmm... it's almost as if I didn't try to say that I'm a pretentious adult on purpose so that I could point out why Jojo's Bizarre Adventure sucks balls. 

Yeah, I'm full of myself because I'm not a ****ing kid anymore.  Try to keep up.
Come on, you're acting like the real life embodiment of the "Threw It On the Ground" guy. xD

No, you have not yet pointed out why Jojo "sucks balls" at all. What I see from you are mostly emotional reactions, and not true constructive criticism. You claim that "throwbacks are okay if they're not supposed to be taken seriously", all while failing to notice that episode 5 had a guy using his burning red abs as a grill to heat up another man's frozen arm. The animators clearly and obviously have their tongues set firmly in cheek, here. This is a series that broadcasts loud and clear that it's meant to be ridiculous fun, and its fans enjoy it for all the laughs it brings, among other things.

The second story arc is especially where the comedy value and the craziness ramps up. I don't want to spoil anything for the people still watching, but... If you haven't read the manga before, then you're in for one hell of an entertaining ride. The second Jojo protagonist is very, very different from the first. I'd say that part 2 is where JJBA "really" starts to become JJBA, rather than Fabulous Fist of the North Star.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:28:52 AM by fluffybunnyboy »

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
Episode 8

Muda Muda Muda MUDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  It looks like we already got setup for one of the scenes from the JJBA movie and I guess it is Josef Joestar who is up next as the "JoJo?"  Admittedly, I would have liked the pace to have slown down a tad since it would have made things like Zeppelli's death more impactful.  On the other hand, the energy of this show keeps what otherwise might have been a completely underwhelming pair of episodes into something fun and epic.  Really, when the seiyuu of a show like this clearly love what they are doing, it shows.

Not only that, the whole thing with the Hamon/Ripple makes for some really cool strategic elements that I don't normally seen in Shonen fare.  Too bad it gets canned for Stands which isn't necessarily a horrible thing.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »
A minor spoiler: The next Jojo is in NYC.

Offline shiijin

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 08:49:17 PM »
8: i've fallen in love with the jojo universe.

Offline SQA

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 01:59:39 AM »
8: i've fallen in love with the jojo universe.

You might want to hold that opinion until the next arc starts.  While I haven't read the manga, the "end" of this arc is one for the ages.

Offline Hokuto_Spirit

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
A minor spoiler: The next Jojo is in NYC.
Spoiler for Hiden:
But only for the first few chapters, and he is also a Brit. If you want your US Jojo, you will have to wait for part 6 & 7.

Offline fluffybunnyboy

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
Episode 8

Muda Muda Muda MUDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  It looks like we already got setup for one of the scenes from the JJBA movie and I guess it is Josef Joestar who is up next as the "JoJo?"  Admittedly, I would have liked the pace to have slown down a tad since it would have made things like Zeppelli's death more impactful.  On the other hand, the energy of this show keeps what otherwise might have been a completely underwhelming pair of episodes into something fun and epic.  Really, when the seiyuu of a show like this clearly love what they are doing, it shows.

Not only that, the whole thing with the Hamon/Ripple makes for some really cool strategic elements that I don't normally seen in Shonen fare.  Too bad it gets canned for Stands which isn't necessarily a horrible thing.
It's not just the seiyuu; this entire show seems like a labor of love, judging from the artwork and music as well. One of the advantages of Jojo being a 25-year-old series is that the people making this show more than likely read the manga growing up, and so they both have respect the source material and know how to play upon its strengths - and boy, have they ever played upon its strengths here.

One of the coolest aspects of this show is the artistic license they take with the colors - including with those of the characters. I'm not sure how many of you here know this, but the original manga artist (Araki Hirohiko) has never truly set "official" colors for the characters - he colors them differently all the time. So in the show, the artists decided to play with the characters' outfit and hair colors, often times to either fit in well with the scenery, match the current mood, or make them stand out against the background. Again, you can just tell how much love is being poured into this show. It's simply wonderful.

I don't think that Jojo fans could have asked for a better adaptation.

Spoiler for Hiden:
But only for the first few chapters, and he is also a Brit. If you want your US Jojo, you will have to wait for part 6 & 7.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, technically, Joseph becomes an American citizen later. =P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Up