Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 16, 2017, 07:03:16 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Owarimonogatari  (Read 8310 times)

Offline KS

Re: Owarimonogatari
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2015, 10:45:54 AM »
It's kinda new. Someone didn't like Bakemonogatari.   

9: What the heck Gaen is doing in this series?! I loathed Otorimonogatari because of her. Don't make me hate Shinobu mail. Not with my loli vampire.

I think the whole franchise is one of the worst things to ever be inflicted on the anime scene for a variety of reasons, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.  What I've seen of it and what I've attempted to discuss of it with fans has frankly been nothing short of annoying, exasperating, entirely off putting and frankly contributed the most to making me question my entire fandom and a downturn in my enthusiasm for anime as a whole considering it's supposed to be one of the greatest influential things of all time, never goes away, and is yet another one of those series that you just have to claim to like and where people are intolerant of those who just can't or don't get into it or think it's amazing. 

One of if not the flat out worst experiences I've ever had in over 2 decades of being an anime fan to be honest that I really only watched because people just would not stop harping at me about to see way back when and really took it personally when I had nothing but critical things to say about it really and that I just found it annoying as a whole.  Just thought I'd put that out there, yes people that vehemently dislike that show do exist out there.  Apparently it hasn't changed much either in the proceeding years.

It's a pretty uneven series. I marathoned Bakemonogatari and was less than impressed with it. (Senjougahara's stereotypical tsunderity was bleh.)  I loved Oshino, though, with his wonderful sense of laid-back enlightenment.   It would be great if Oshino shows up at the end of Owarimonogatari to bookend the whole thing.

That was the only tolerable character in that entire show for me.  Everyone else, completely insufferable really.  I've started to see that as the norm for Light Novel anime in general though, like I'm sure people have heard me talk about annoying LN character syndrome before.  It goes back further than the Monogatari franchise and will be around long after it wraps up whenever that will be I'm sure.  Just I don't know, for whatever reason LN series really seem to love the sort of characters that just run completely against the grain of everything I would think goes into making a decently conceived character, protagonist, antagonist, supporting, mascot or otherwise.  It's like they desperately want to get you to agree with world views, concepts and ideas that no rationally minded decent human being would ever come to terms with as acceptable let alone ideal.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:56:32 AM by KS »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2015, 01:05:21 AM »
I think the whole franchise is one of the worst things to ever be inflicted on the anime scene for a variety of reasons, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

And this is why nobody takes you seriously.  You can not like the franchise and for whatever reason you want, but when you throw out hyperbolic statements, there's no discussing anything with you.  You don't promote discussion, you rape it.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2015, 03:10:23 AM »
Dude, what is this? The Nihon Review forums should be better than this.

Let's not turn this into a forum or discussion on anybody in particular, because that's exactly the kind of shittastic commenting I don't want around here ever.  No one person is bigger than the board itself, which also means that the board needs to not worry about one person.  That's my job.  Kindly note, there are avenues you can explore if you wish to discuss other users with the moderators.  Private messages or report buttons work wonders.

Come on.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »
10: Back to Owarimonogatari, it feels like it's approaching its slow death. Not interested in it anymore all Gaen does is to explain things and not showing it.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline KS

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »
I think the whole franchise is one of the worst things to ever be inflicted on the anime scene for a variety of reasons, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

And this is why nobody takes you seriously.  You can not like the franchise and for whatever reason you want, but when you throw out hyperbolic statements, there's no discussing anything with you.  You don't promote discussion, you rape it.

Except I'm not being hyperbolic I'm telling the gods honest truth.  I'm sorry I don't tow the line enough in this case and you don't like my positions on things.  You throw all out hyperbolic statements all the time too so it's like really?  I thought that was kind of your whole schtick. 

Anyway if you don't like me that much again seriously just ask me too leave already, better yet why don't I just volunteer.  I practically have one foot out the door already and the other making it's way over as well as a result of a major conflict of values and feeling smothered and insulted by you resulting in me barely wanting to post here anymore and that's the truth as well, it's just not really worth it when every post I make is apparently a massive offensive to the moderators and I have to be told what a horrible human being I am and how I'm the embodiment of anti-discussion and all that jazz.  It'll probably be more like the board you desire anyway if I'm gone and what you want is what matters after all isn't it?  You say it's not all about one person, but why am I not so sure?

Seriously I can't make any sort of post without you taking massive offensive to it and threatening me to stop so it's just like literally whatever at this point dude.  Not worth it.....I'm out of my own volition at this point.  See ya'll
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:06:22 AM by KS »

Offline AHideyo

• AHideyo's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Hideyo

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
No KS don't goooooooooo

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2015, 05:50:47 PM »
Dude, what is this? The Nihon Review forums should be better than this. Come on.

Two things:

1). What I did was intentional.  KS dishes it out, but can't take it.  I made a hyperbolic statement against him on purpose to give him a taste of his own medicine.  The goal was to make him realize why what he does is so goddamned frustrating to everybody here.  Instead, he took it as he did below.  I suppose I would call it predictable, but I was hoping he would just realize what it is he does and fix it.  My usual methods of private communication and attempts to make him understand his erroneous behavior have failed miserably.  I took a different approach this time.

Why?  Because...

2).  The key part that you quoted in what I said is that this was "my job".  My job is not to mindlessly ban spambots and shake fingers without any kind of reprisal.  My job is, as you stated, to maintain the quality of the Nihon Review forums.  Maybe you don't agree, and I'm fine with you not, but in my opinion KS has routinely lowered the bar in these discussion forums.  I have told him this, repeatedly, both publicly and not, and asked him to correct himself.  Without going into too much detail about private correspondence, he has promised me, and others, that he would work on things.  He clearly hasn't.

His response to all this, as you read above, is to play the wounded animal and act like he hasn't done anything wrong.  This isn't his first rodeo and it wont be his last.  I am only pointing this out to you because I made a public attempt this time and because you responded to it.  I realize that it looks awful, and maybe I should have taken a different approach, but you see the results.  He doesn't want to change.  He is the same jackass he always has been, and the issues with him date back WELL before he ever became a forum poster here on the Nihon Review.

If you want to discuss this further, you can Private Message me about it.  Just like before, I don't want this meta discussion dominating the topic.

Offline AHideyo

• AHideyo's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Hideyo

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2015, 10:10:03 PM »
But, but....his shitposts has quality...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2015, 01:16:28 AM »
Enough.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
I kind of get what TIF means because whenever KS posts, the forum turns to a very general topic that has nothing to do with the main series. I think his posts are good but not posted in the proper forum. Sure, he might state whatever he wants as regards to the Monogatari series in overview but we're talking about its specific sequel here. If he wants to talk about how bad (or good) the franchise is, he might as well watch this currently airing continuation and then make a comment about it if he wants to. I am relatively new here and that's what I feel about it.

Back to the show, I am really disappointed on how this sank to your typical Monogatari arc from the admittedly excellent Sodachi lost case. I nearly like Ararararagi in the first six episodes and it went back with me being annoyed the heck out of him.

Well, at least we get some snippets of Kizumonogatari to be aired next year, huh?

EDIT: So after they found the first, what comes next?
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2015, 02:38:19 AM »
11: No. No. No. That's not how you execute a penultimate episode Owarimonogatari. Sad.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2015, 10:45:43 PM »
Final:

That was a rather sweet ending. Especially with Shinobu making closure with Seshiro.

--

My thoughts on Owarimonogatari:

Since the end of Bakemonogatari, I've never closely followed the sequels. Not sure why; it's as though I am following only because it's the right thing to do but not because I really want to. Owarimonogatari is one of the better ones because of the narratives: there's less fanservice and more character-focused dialogue. In particular, the focus on Shinobu and Araragi is a welcoming change.

It's a 7/10 for me. Perhaps one of the best of 2015, but definitely not in the -gatari series.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »
12: Okay. That was a touching finale. The presence of Ougi in the end is uncalled for though.

9/10 for the first six episodes.
4/10 for the Shinobu Mail.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up