Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 06:58:22 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BTOOOM!  (Read 9394 times)

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: BTOOOM!
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 07:21:03 AM »
12:

So in the last episode Taira and Sakamoto both go insane and start hallucinating. Due to this, one of them dies, and the other turns down sex. That sum it up right?

Still, poor Taira, what a shit place to end up. Guess it's just our love birds now!! ..... for ****'s sake.

The Series

Stupid, entertaining, but really stupid.

It's a toss up between a 4 and a 5. And it's a 4, because the action wasn't that good.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
Pretty much agree there. This series is mildly entertaining, but not as much as HOTD was...so meh pretty forgettable in the end.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
Eh, I thought Madhouse did a really good job with this show. Nonstop engrossing action series with a twisted/cynical bent. No it's not particularly deep or anything, but there is not a single episode I considered a waste of my time and that deserves credit from me.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »
Final:

I was worried that the Oda hallucination was going to make Ryouta carry through with the sex, but instead he ends up respecting Himiko's virginitiphobia and calling it off. For once the show did something right in regards to Himiko's phobia.

The Series:

Right now Btooom! is in contention with Muv Luv Total Eclipse for worst anime of the year. (Granted I haven't seen Guilty Crown, which supposedly was pretty bad.) The characters were horribly written, it relied far too much on the "humans are bastards" trope to the point of seeming cartoony, and it was hugely problematic with how it dealt with rape.

Ryouta was the archtypical chivalrous hero who manages to ward off evildoers and protect his woman each episode, giving us too stark of a contrast between the huge asshole we see in the flashbacks.

Himiko is a pretty much a useless character for the most part; in most situations she becomes downright suicidal in her refusal to fight back, usually because she wants to protect her "purity." It's understandable how someone who's  gone through several traumatic experiences could be that way, but with Btooom! it only ever serves as an excuse to make her a damsel in distress, and not to actually make her a compelling character of any sort. The fact that the writers seem to equate virginitiphobia with misandry is reason enough to believe that they don't respect rape-issues as seriously as they should. And then there's the ways in which she is perversely violated several times: In her introductory episode she has to ward off a rapist, and although the scene wasn't as problematic as it could have been, it was still a lot more titillating than it should have been. Then a few episodes when she gets shocked unconscious by her own taser, Ryouta himself goes so far as to lift up her skirt and take a look at her panties, and we never explicitly see him regret it.

Then there's Taira whose character degrades from the brosky sidekick to someone who, similar to Himiko, has to be with Ryouta at all times or else he'll go insane with worry (which thanks to the komodo poison, is what literally happens...at least, I would hope it was because of the poison.)

Sometimes the bombfights were mildly entertaining, and there were a few laughably bad moments (such as the breast psyhics from episode 11,) which for the most part are the only redeeming qualities of the plot. 2/10.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 07:55:49 AM »
Final:

Sorry, but I spotted 3 stupid things about the episode:

1) Oh Taira, why didn't you try deploying TWO bombs aiming at BOTH of them? That way, both of them don't know which is aiming at whom. Not thinking straight when you're overcome with fear, eh?

2) Oh Himiko, for a girl who wanted to survive so badly after first thinking of giving up, you're surely a sucker for giving yourself up AGAIN. Not doing a big favor to the "dumb blond" stereotype, eh?

3) Oh BTOOOM, can you just explain to me what just happened right there in the end with the whole so-called "technical problem"? If you want to have a second season, at least give the first one a clear ending.

--

My thoughts on BTOOOM!:

Battle Royale? Yeah sure, if you're talking about concept. Basically, it's what BTOOOM is but at the same time, it's essentially not Battle Royale either. You see, unlike Battle Royale which was more of a psychological thriller, this is simply action. Not that it necessarily makes this show more inferior, but if it's action, then I hope to see a good one. The action is indeed good; however, it never really blew me away for some reason. Maybe it's because there's not enough grit to the show.

It's the same case for the characters. All being societal rejects, each has his/her own story to tell about how they ended up being on the island. That's fine and all, but despite that I could never really empathize as much as I could. There's just something missing about the execution of the characterization and the action sequences. Perhaps Madhouse didn't really the original title any disservice; it merely make do with what the original material is all about without making it its own.

It's a 6/10 for me. If I may, BTOOOM feels like HOTD... only much less derpy and with less breast physics.

Offline Rummbles

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
Well, harro once again. In any event, just to give the anime some credit and assist madhouse. From what I've seen and read so far the anime actually follows the manga chapter for chapter (mind you I stopped watching after the second episode though since it was so dead on that I didn't feel the need to rehash my brain with the plot all over again). But on that note, from the manga thats been translated so far, it only goes up until the "technical problem." So lets not blame the anime for plotholes or bad cliff hangers that are convenient. Let's blame the source material if anything.

;)

:P

Thanks,

That random guy no one knows.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »
Well of course I blame Madhouse for nothing. They did the best with the material they have (the only thing they really could have done is kinda make up stuff for the story to make it more intriguing and involving or to make the action sequences better).

Like HOTD it is better than reading it's actual source material, so I give them praise regardless.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 07:28:47 PM »
In summation: lol bomb physics. lol bad writing "I need a girlfriend". WTF DID A SHOOTING(BOMBING" GAME HAVE A DATING/WEDDING FEATURE??? and they actually handled Himoko fairly well. The finale and Sakamoto having the presence of mind to respect her and not just spite f*** her with Oda hallucinations impressed me. Taira's deceit from the beginning, but was given context, but was prefaced with his isolation/dependance on Sakamoto once he got injured defending him was also a valiant plot point. I enjoyed his character...Show pretty much sucks otherwise 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up