Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 11:54:14 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BTOOOM!  (Read 9406 times)

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: BTOOOM!
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »
5:

Despite this show's weaknesses, I find myself liking it. I don't know why, but I'm taking it at face value. I do agree that the showing of why his mother sent him away was unneeded, I agree with TIF, however as for the rest of it I ignore because I just know that I shouldn't take note. As soon as I read the premise I had resolved to just ignore the weaknesses right from the start.

I am liking the Opening though, doesn't fit the series that much but I like the song.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
Forgot one thing:  were those Komodo dragons at the end there?  Or were they monitors?  Depending on the species, we might have a bit of "did not do the research" here.

For starters, Komodo dragons can't see shit in the dark and aren't very nocturnal.  They are mostly solitary, but do come together in packs to feed (so that's right), but they don't feed at night.  They're also not big on attacking humans, but it has happened.  Considering prey differences, they probably would have gone after something else that they could handle easier, rather than quick and mobile humans.

As for Monitors, they're not big enough (usually) to hunt humans, and don't really have the teeth for it (typically).
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 11:58:32 AM »
They could have been attracted to the camp fire, but yeah those are likely Komodo Dragons. It fits with the idea of being somewhere in the Pacific.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
5:

If those were indeed Komodo dragons, then one fact is sealed: they're stuck on some Indonesian island.

edit:

6:

If they were indeed Komodo dragons, then Taira's ****ed. Their venomous saliva would kill him in no time.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:39:21 PM by AC »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:45 AM »
6:

Okay, the main problem with the Komodo Dragons, aside from what I already brought up, is that they wouldn't bother with the living humans.  For starters, Komodo Dragons are cowards towards humans and usually flee and will only attack if provoked or cornered.  Second, while Komodo Dragons are meat eaters, and have been known to take down deer and, very occasionally humans, their biggest diet is carrion.  In other words, their favored method of feeding is to find already dead things and eat them.  Considering how many humans are undoubtedly around them dead from the misfortune of an explosive device, it seems unlikely that these hungry dudes would bother with the ones who are still alive (especially with this level of tenacity and ferocity).  They'd just as soon eat one of their own who just got bombed.

AC's right that their bite would be problematic.  They have venom, but they don't really use their venom to kill their prey for feeding.  They have developed an odd symbiotic relationship with several strains of very nasty bacteria that grow in their mouths.  The dragons are immune to them, but the strains get into their prey and cause all kinds of havoc, notably sepsis.  These bacterial strains also grow several times faster in Dragon saliva than in normal environments.  It's not a guarantee that Taira would get any of these bacterial infections, but without proper antibiotics, he's pretty FUBAR.  It was mentioned he had a fever and they disinfected the wound, but pouring hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) on a wound may not be enough to destroy the bacteria, especially if it gets in the blood stream.

Anyway, all that aside, once again we get another shot outside the island.  This time it's more appropriate since these are the bad guys.  I suppose it makes sense to show us what they're up to, and there's an obvious interest in Sakamoto above the others.  I still don't like them showing us these kinds of things, unless they're going to get involved later, but whatever.  It's definitely better than the random shot of his mom from before.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
7:

Why the **** are there virtual marriages in a game about bombs? What is this, Bomb Art Online or something?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 08:53:59 AM »
7:

I laughed at the "elite lawyer" schtick.  That guy was a hoot.  Reminded me of the psychos in Borderlands.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »
1-7:

Why indeed did this fps, or fpb as it were, include a marriage feature??? Just makes no sense. Dumb writing to force a romance.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »
11:

Oh look, Murasaki is about to take down Date like a badass! ...Oh wait, she fell for one of his traps... Oh but hey, at least she's going to kill him off and take revenge! ...Except she's still in love with him, or something, and starts nurturing him back to health.

Good one Btooom, you had me going there for a second; thinking you had somewhat of a strong female character.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
11:

It takes a certain amount of strength to not kill someone in that situation.  Really, killing him would have been a weakness; an unwillingness to face her own past and realize that while Date was a bastard, she was the one who should have known better.  Killing him only satisfies a lust for revenge, but revenge doesn't ever heal the wounds.  Sometimes it makes it worse.

Not that BTOOOM! is supposed to take us on a merry trip down psychology lane, mind you.  It's been pedestrian in it's portrayal of the human condition thus far, so why delve much deeper?  Besides, who's to say she's not going to make Date's life a living hell?  Only thing I would have liked to see was her removing his chip and giving it to the others.  Guess that's not kosher or something.

In any event, one pointless (but boobtastic) fanservice scene later and we're going back to Taira to find out that... next week is the last episode.  Well, I don't think they're getting off the island in one 22 minute episode, so.... yep.  No more BTOOOM! after this.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
11:

It takes a certain amount of strength to not kill someone in that situation.  Really, killing him would have been a weakness; an unwillingness to face her own past and realize that while Date was a bastard, she was the one who should have known better.  Killing him only satisfies a lust for revenge, but revenge doesn't ever heal the wounds.  Sometimes it makes it worse.

Yeah, that's true.

I was more irritated by the implications of a weird "woman are hard to understand" romance that the scene had, although to be fair that was mostly a result of Himiko and Ryouta's commentary.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »
11:

Just a side thought, but maybe Date was sent back to the game because he didn't kill Shiki even if he got her chip. It's kinda obvious enough to catch; I just feel like saying. And yeah, Shiki killing Date would just be out of revenge and nothing less. Killing him wouldn't change the fact that all of this happened between her and him also because she was foolish on her end.

On another note, Madhouse is reusing law-defying breast physics from HOTD to BTOOOM!. Oh Madhouse, you.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:05 AM »
On another note, Madhouse is reusing law-defying breast physics from HOTD to BTOOOM!.

So?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 06:28:19 AM »
And I approve it.