Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 11:44:41 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BTOOOM!  (Read 9389 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: BTOOOM!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 08:23:04 AM »
2:

Using bombs to catch fish... and the fish were still in one piece. Damn, somebody's gotta teach me how to do that.

You know what, this show isn't really Battle Royale. It just tries to be one; in other words, a wannabe. But I'm just not shocked enough to call this show comparable to that movie. It's just too underwhelming. Yeah sure, rape is the kind of thing storywriters love to exploit just to get shock value quickly but even that didn't get to me here. In fact, I just don't feel anything from this show. No tension, no sense of desperation, no paranoia, no twisted mentality, no intensity...

...heck, even the explosions were underwhelming. And, for a show named after the sound of an explosion, "disappointed" is just putting it midly...

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 09:17:25 AM »
Not much more to say about this episode, though I'm pretty sure Himeko's(?) avatar looks a lot like the one Sakamoto 'married' in game.  At it seems that next week we get told what is going on.  I hope it doesn't just go and tell us everything, what else are we going to do for the rest then?

Using bombs to catch fish... and the fish were still in one piece. Damn, somebody's gotta teach me how to do that.

I think it's a pretty standard ad-hoc way of catching fish, though it is illegal in most countries.  In water it's mostly the shock wave that gets transferred, rather than the shrapnel.  I think it is anyway.  Mythbusters did a segment on hand grenades, and found dumping one in a bucket of water is probably the safest way to minimise the damage.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
Explosive fishing?  **** yeah.  That's a time honored hillbilly tradition, son.  The shockwave passes through the water and kills a ton of fish instantly.  This is the same principle behind depth charges and torpedoes used against submarines.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
In the scary parts of the world, you can use RPGs to do the fishing.  Explosions are Heat, Debris and Energy (shockwave).  The Energy always does most of the damage, though we more think the Debris/Heat do it.  Same is true of Nuclear weapons as well (and the reason they switched to MIRVs).

And that topic is far more interesting than BTOOM!

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
Guys, it's called blast fishing. Herp derp.

Btw, I like the pacing of this show a lot. It's surprisingly good and the story isn't as trite as I thought it would be, but showing the background for the main female character in the second episode was sort of a mistake, I feel.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »

You know what; that explanation makes a lot of sense.  It seems that the she show is far more straightforward than expected.  Basically, this is the hunter competition in Hunter X Hunter but instead of numbered tags, they collect microchip jewels.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
3:

Meh, the show basically has become rather straightforward. But I just have to enjoy how derpy it can be sometimes... like how the black chick (at least I think she's a black chick) died in the explosion but the briefcase is still in one piece. Must be bomb-proof.

But I'm still adamant on one thing: the show lacks shock value because it's underwhelming on the psychological aspect of character exploration. Perhaps it's because it's going from a more action-oriented angle, but even so, I'm not sure if the abused child character to be explored in the new episode would be that intriguing.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »

So, if this episode is any indication of the rest of the series, then we're up for a villain of the week formula where the show builds up a psychopath for our protagonist to kill.  It's not all that interesting of a setup, but I'll tarry a bit

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 08:02:41 AM »
I kind of liked our little psychopath actually.  Considering what he's gone through, you can forgive a little murder now and then.

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 07:47:55 PM »
No, this is a crappy version of Battle Royale(Yet still better than Hunger Game) mixed with Halo. I also liked Kousuke, but Miyuki being Inaba and Kurapika, it felt kind of weird. But I can tell you that I did not enjoy Sakamoto. That was a HUGE turn off even though he is being portrait as a NEET. If you are going to make the main protagonist to murder someone, don't give any justification. He doesn't need to have a 180 personality change just to blow someone's head off.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »
Except he was a NEET, and a borderline hikkikomori, which is probably why his mother signed the form to have her son taken away (for cash!).

Now, if you're taking exception to the idea that a NEET or a hikki would turn to murder so quickly, and that you believe the show might be implying that being a social reject leads to other anti-social behavior, then you might have a beef, because that's pretty shallow and baseless.  But, it is at least an interesting take.  It'll be important what they do with it.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:46 AM »
5:

A painful, but necessary episode.  I'm actually ANNOYED they showed us what Sakamoto's mother is going through back home.  How are we supposed to know that?  I'm okay with Sakamoto maybe recalling how he treated his step-father, but the rest?  That's bad writing.  While it does give us a better sense of just what kind of person Sakamoto is, and sort of explains what the mother was thinking, it's still not something that fits into the narrative.  We don't know what's going on here.  All the background and side stuff we've gotten so far has been the recollections of one character or another.  To just show us something suddenly way far off that isn't relevant to the story is just dumb.  Unless somehow his mom and step-dad are going to get involved further to bring everybody home, I don't see what relevance it had except to try to make the mother look like less a bitch somehow.

Anyway, like I said, necessary but painful, because our female was going to have to get with our hero somehow.  Painful as in annoying, that is.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 01:51:04 AM »
@TIF

I am a bit confused why you think it's irrelevant at all. This story seems to be striking some sort of social commentary (At least it seems like one, lets see if it actually delivers), and the fact is that it is revealed that it is the people around them that chose them to disappear makes it all the more relevant.

Unless you're speaking within context of the flow of just the episode itself, then I guess so...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 02:29:42 AM »
Reckoner,

The latter.  Anybody paying a little bit of attention could have figured out that his mom sent him away, and it would have been fine and dandy the way it was, explained the way it was, and shown the way it was.  But showing us this extra part, something no character in the show could have knowledge of (except for, of course, the mother and step-dad), doesn't fit right with how the story is presented normally.  We learned of Himiko's story from Himiko.  Taira-san at least has an idea of what his is.  And, though we already saw it thanks to the perspective we had before he was sent away, we know what Sakamoto's story is.  Telling us something extra doesn't fit.

I figured the social commentary was already present, though, with Sakamoto's behavior before being sent away.  Showing a regretful mother doesn't do much for that.  In fact, it sort of lessens the impact of someone you trust being so cold, if that person is going to try to repent for doing so.  I found the stuff about his step-dad helpful in showing us that Sakamoto is a bigger asshole than we thought, but, again, this is stuff that Sakamoto doesn't know, so what can he do with that information?  It makes the step-dad sympathetic, which is cool, except we've never seen him before now, so who cares?

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
OK I see. Yeah I didn't notice that was the first flashback that could not have possibly been seen by any of the characters. Good point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up