Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 08:22:05 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: BTOOOM!  (Read 9414 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

BTOOOM!
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:52 PM »

BTOOOM! is a bloodsports anime akin to Battle Royale where all the contestants are all given the same weapon of choice: bombs.  This is a result of Bomberman MMORPG becoming the shit, and some super mysterious organization decides that making a real life version of this by stranding people on an island is somehow funny.  The key hooks to this show seems to be production values which is a lock considering this is animated by Madhouse, the mystery behind why the super secret organization is forcing people to this ($100 says the reason is going to be retarded), and the fact that the main character is a NEET (which begs the question why would I empathize with a NEET?).  I'll probably give this 3 episodes on the production value alone, but things don't seem all that bright down the line since the top images I found of this show on Google are that of an attempted rape scene in the manga.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:24:23 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline leokiko.

Re: BTOOOM!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
"Attempted"? Oh boy, you better drop this now.

Even though it's good. But if you can't handle it...

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
Would've watched this if I hadn't already read up on the manga. Obviously it's meant to not be taken seriously in the slightest (much like HOTD and cage of eden), the story is entertaining but it's really stupid at the same time.

Offline SQA

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
So, it's Survivor with Bombs and "last one standing, alive, wins".  Which means there's going to be some ugly things happening on that island.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
I almost avoided this show because of the attempted(?) rape in the PV. Not that I can't handle rape in a story or anything, but just the fact that they included the rape scene in the PV gave me a really squick feeling; like when Crystal Dynamics tried to brag about how the new Tomb Raider is somehow more mature for having an attempted rape scene. It doesn't help that the rape scene is all that shows up when you google image "Btooom!"

As for the episode itself, it was alright. I doubt the mysterious organization in the background will go anywhere, but at least it still has potential for a good survival story. MC came off as a bit of a jerk, being an escapist NEET and all, but at least that should provide plenty of room for character development. My only real complaint is how he survived like, three or four bomb blasts by sheer luck. If they keep having the characters narrowly escape death like that, especially if they just stand around like the MC here, the believability of these bomb-fights will plummet.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:37:25 AM »
1:

Me wonders why this show is called BTOOOM! and not BOOOM!~

People have been comparing this show with Battle Royale, but I wouldn't. To me, the show reminds me more of Future Diary to a mixed extent. It's basically about how each player is forced into playing a game of life and death but on top of that, I can tell that the storyline is going to be stupid. For one, I find it utterly hard to believe that Ryouta basically escaped unscathed from the bomb explosions, especially when they're very close to him. Secondly, I find it utterly hard to believe that, for a genius gamer, it was awfully slow of him to notice that he had timed bombs (seriously, did he need a memo on the bombs to know that they're timed?) Lastly... what kind of gamepad can crack a wall like that?

Yeah, when I compare this show with Future Diary and not Battle Royale, it's because this show is going to be more action-oriented than grim and bleak like Battle Royale. Even if it's (going to be) a senseless series, I'm somewhat entertaining and would cut this show some slack. I just have to wonder what is it about Madhouse producing shows with stupid storylines sometimes...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:14:41 AM »
1:

Madhouse loves making them faces, don't they?

So far so good.  Best to keep shit vague for our hero, at least until he remembers how he got into this mess.  Adds to the tension, even if the token-jobber in the first episode was doomed and we all knew he would be.  Liked the touches of survival realism, especially where our presumably level headed protagonist lost his shit after realizing he wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Arguably the weakest part of this, so far, is the rather limited method of combat.  Bombs are cute and all, and make for some messy results, but not really my cup of tea, and I'm not sure how varied you can seriously keep the action parts with explosives.  I'll give it a shot, tho.

Fanserivce at the end of the first episode.  I think we can all see why SHE got raped.  Slut exposing herself for any BTOOM player that comes along.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 06:51:45 AM »
My first thought:  3 million copies sold worldwide?  That would be considered a commercial flop in today's AAA market.  Unless the subber screwed up somehow.

Anyway, interesting first episode.  Though I'm guessing he's there because his mum dobbed him into the super secret organisation, judging on the way she looked when the MIB came to take him away.  I bet it's about taking troublesome members of society and teaching them a life lesson of some sorts, but with bombs. 

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »
Fanserivce at the end of the first episode.  I think we can all see why SHE got raped.  Slut exposing herself for any BTOOM player that comes along.

Ryouta's reaction to that was hilarious. "Oh gee there's a half naked girl bathing across the river, I'll just creepily walk towards her without saying anything." Either they're trying to showcase his bad social skills, or we've got another example of bad writing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:28:52 PM by Sorrows Neptune »

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
She didn't get raped.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »
She didn't get raped.

Spoiler! I was getting my hopes up!

.......... don't judge me.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
Ryouta's reaction to that was hilarious. "Oh gee there's a half naked girl bathing across the river, I'll just creepily walk towards her without saying anything." Either they're trying to showcase his bad social skills, or we've got another example of bad writing.

I can actually defend that as him being overly cautious seeing as how the last stranger he met tried to blow his ass up with pyrotechnics.

Quote from: leokiko
She didn't get raped.

lol ya right purefag... your waifu is broken goods.  slut.

Offline SQA

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:49 AM »
2:

Ah, so that was the sort-of averted rape scene from the PV.  This isn't really my type of series, so I'll be dropping it, but I did have one thing I found kind of "too much" in a scene the group rape scene, but it's not what you think.  The two hits that Himiko landed on the one guy, even from her likely physical stature, would have been enough to knock him out or possibly kill him.  So I was actually a little surprised he was still standing.  The one friend attempting to crawl out of the room while screaming got a "really?" reaction from me.  Obviously, it's not my type of series and I'm not bought into it, so it didn't hit me quite the way it's intended.  Though it did nicely highly that keeping your wits about yourself is how you keep alive/safe when s*** goes badly.  (And Himiko made the proper choice to run, she had no ability to fight off the guys.)

I'm still waiting for the day a series has a woman drop a larynx strike during an attempted rape.  An 80 year old grandmother could kill a 300 pound man with that type of strike, as it just takes striking the right location with 2 fingers (with nails, even better) and can be done from any position, so long as 1 arm is free.  There's no muscle over the area, so it's fully exposed to the damage.  But then, we wouldn't get the exploitative nature of the attempted rape scene.  (It exploits the "male protection" instincts, so it's really quite an annoying trope)

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
2:

It's still not a very well-written rape scene by any means, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it be. Mostly because there wasn't much fanservice to derive from it, so it was at least only a little exploitative in that regard. Although I probably should have guessed they would have toned it down, seeing how this a television series. Of course it still degrades the heroine for the purposes of exploiting the "male protection" instincts, so that's still problematic. Funny that this premiered on the same day as Psycho-Pass, which had the most well handled rape scene I've seen in a while.

Another note: That army guy was really ridiculous. Although his actions might make sense depending on what sort of instructions he was given (it's still unclear if anyone even gets instructions), he clearly seemed like a psychopath. "Looks like I found three friendly people who's willing to help me out of this mess. Better kill that teacher since he's acting like the leader!"

I can actually defend that as him being overly cautious seeing as how the last stranger he met tried to blow his ass up with pyrotechnics.

Now that I think about it I can understand why he would walk up to her without thinking; getting trapped on an island, gruesomely killing a guy in self defense, and then running into a beautiful women as she bathes must be a really surreal experience. I'd probably react in the same way if I was in such a crazy situation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:11:35 AM by Sorrows Neptune »

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »

I should call this the season of rape since so many shows seems to be touching on it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 08:23:04 AM »
2:

Using bombs to catch fish... and the fish were still in one piece. Damn, somebody's gotta teach me how to do that.

You know what, this show isn't really Battle Royale. It just tries to be one; in other words, a wannabe. But I'm just not shocked enough to call this show comparable to that movie. It's just too underwhelming. Yeah sure, rape is the kind of thing storywriters love to exploit just to get shock value quickly but even that didn't get to me here. In fact, I just don't feel anything from this show. No tension, no sense of desperation, no paranoia, no twisted mentality, no intensity...

...heck, even the explosions were underwhelming. And, for a show named after the sound of an explosion, "disappointed" is just putting it midly...

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 09:17:25 AM »
Not much more to say about this episode, though I'm pretty sure Himeko's(?) avatar looks a lot like the one Sakamoto 'married' in game.  At it seems that next week we get told what is going on.  I hope it doesn't just go and tell us everything, what else are we going to do for the rest then?

Using bombs to catch fish... and the fish were still in one piece. Damn, somebody's gotta teach me how to do that.

I think it's a pretty standard ad-hoc way of catching fish, though it is illegal in most countries.  In water it's mostly the shock wave that gets transferred, rather than the shrapnel.  I think it is anyway.  Mythbusters did a segment on hand grenades, and found dumping one in a bucket of water is probably the safest way to minimise the damage.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
Explosive fishing?  **** yeah.  That's a time honored hillbilly tradition, son.  The shockwave passes through the water and kills a ton of fish instantly.  This is the same principle behind depth charges and torpedoes used against submarines.

Offline SQA

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
In the scary parts of the world, you can use RPGs to do the fishing.  Explosions are Heat, Debris and Energy (shockwave).  The Energy always does most of the damage, though we more think the Debris/Heat do it.  Same is true of Nuclear weapons as well (and the reason they switched to MIRVs).

And that topic is far more interesting than BTOOM!

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
Guys, it's called blast fishing. Herp derp.

Btw, I like the pacing of this show a lot. It's surprisingly good and the story isn't as trite as I thought it would be, but showing the background for the main female character in the second episode was sort of a mistake, I feel.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »

You know what; that explanation makes a lot of sense.  It seems that the she show is far more straightforward than expected.  Basically, this is the hunter competition in Hunter X Hunter but instead of numbered tags, they collect microchip jewels.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
3:

Meh, the show basically has become rather straightforward. But I just have to enjoy how derpy it can be sometimes... like how the black chick (at least I think she's a black chick) died in the explosion but the briefcase is still in one piece. Must be bomb-proof.

But I'm still adamant on one thing: the show lacks shock value because it's underwhelming on the psychological aspect of character exploration. Perhaps it's because it's going from a more action-oriented angle, but even so, I'm not sure if the abused child character to be explored in the new episode would be that intriguing.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »

So, if this episode is any indication of the rest of the series, then we're up for a villain of the week formula where the show builds up a psychopath for our protagonist to kill.  It's not all that interesting of a setup, but I'll tarry a bit

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 08:02:41 AM »
I kind of liked our little psychopath actually.  Considering what he's gone through, you can forgive a little murder now and then.

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 07:47:55 PM »
No, this is a crappy version of Battle Royale(Yet still better than Hunger Game) mixed with Halo. I also liked Kousuke, but Miyuki being Inaba and Kurapika, it felt kind of weird. But I can tell you that I did not enjoy Sakamoto. That was a HUGE turn off even though he is being portrait as a NEET. If you are going to make the main protagonist to murder someone, don't give any justification. He doesn't need to have a 180 personality change just to blow someone's head off.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »
Except he was a NEET, and a borderline hikkikomori, which is probably why his mother signed the form to have her son taken away (for cash!).

Now, if you're taking exception to the idea that a NEET or a hikki would turn to murder so quickly, and that you believe the show might be implying that being a social reject leads to other anti-social behavior, then you might have a beef, because that's pretty shallow and baseless.  But, it is at least an interesting take.  It'll be important what they do with it.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:46 AM »
5:

A painful, but necessary episode.  I'm actually ANNOYED they showed us what Sakamoto's mother is going through back home.  How are we supposed to know that?  I'm okay with Sakamoto maybe recalling how he treated his step-father, but the rest?  That's bad writing.  While it does give us a better sense of just what kind of person Sakamoto is, and sort of explains what the mother was thinking, it's still not something that fits into the narrative.  We don't know what's going on here.  All the background and side stuff we've gotten so far has been the recollections of one character or another.  To just show us something suddenly way far off that isn't relevant to the story is just dumb.  Unless somehow his mom and step-dad are going to get involved further to bring everybody home, I don't see what relevance it had except to try to make the mother look like less a bitch somehow.

Anyway, like I said, necessary but painful, because our female was going to have to get with our hero somehow.  Painful as in annoying, that is.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 01:51:04 AM »
@TIF

I am a bit confused why you think it's irrelevant at all. This story seems to be striking some sort of social commentary (At least it seems like one, lets see if it actually delivers), and the fact is that it is revealed that it is the people around them that chose them to disappear makes it all the more relevant.

Unless you're speaking within context of the flow of just the episode itself, then I guess so...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 02:29:42 AM »
Reckoner,

The latter.  Anybody paying a little bit of attention could have figured out that his mom sent him away, and it would have been fine and dandy the way it was, explained the way it was, and shown the way it was.  But showing us this extra part, something no character in the show could have knowledge of (except for, of course, the mother and step-dad), doesn't fit right with how the story is presented normally.  We learned of Himiko's story from Himiko.  Taira-san at least has an idea of what his is.  And, though we already saw it thanks to the perspective we had before he was sent away, we know what Sakamoto's story is.  Telling us something extra doesn't fit.

I figured the social commentary was already present, though, with Sakamoto's behavior before being sent away.  Showing a regretful mother doesn't do much for that.  In fact, it sort of lessens the impact of someone you trust being so cold, if that person is going to try to repent for doing so.  I found the stuff about his step-dad helpful in showing us that Sakamoto is a bigger asshole than we thought, but, again, this is stuff that Sakamoto doesn't know, so what can he do with that information?  It makes the step-dad sympathetic, which is cool, except we've never seen him before now, so who cares?

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
OK I see. Yeah I didn't notice that was the first flashback that could not have possibly been seen by any of the characters. Good point.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »
5:

Despite this show's weaknesses, I find myself liking it. I don't know why, but I'm taking it at face value. I do agree that the showing of why his mother sent him away was unneeded, I agree with TIF, however as for the rest of it I ignore because I just know that I shouldn't take note. As soon as I read the premise I had resolved to just ignore the weaknesses right from the start.

I am liking the Opening though, doesn't fit the series that much but I like the song.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
Forgot one thing:  were those Komodo dragons at the end there?  Or were they monitors?  Depending on the species, we might have a bit of "did not do the research" here.

For starters, Komodo dragons can't see shit in the dark and aren't very nocturnal.  They are mostly solitary, but do come together in packs to feed (so that's right), but they don't feed at night.  They're also not big on attacking humans, but it has happened.  Considering prey differences, they probably would have gone after something else that they could handle easier, rather than quick and mobile humans.

As for Monitors, they're not big enough (usually) to hunt humans, and don't really have the teeth for it (typically).

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 11:58:32 AM »
They could have been attracted to the camp fire, but yeah those are likely Komodo Dragons. It fits with the idea of being somewhere in the Pacific.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
5:

If those were indeed Komodo dragons, then one fact is sealed: they're stuck on some Indonesian island.

edit:

6:

If they were indeed Komodo dragons, then Taira's ****ed. Their venomous saliva would kill him in no time.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:39:21 PM by AC »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:45 AM »
6:

Okay, the main problem with the Komodo Dragons, aside from what I already brought up, is that they wouldn't bother with the living humans.  For starters, Komodo Dragons are cowards towards humans and usually flee and will only attack if provoked or cornered.  Second, while Komodo Dragons are meat eaters, and have been known to take down deer and, very occasionally humans, their biggest diet is carrion.  In other words, their favored method of feeding is to find already dead things and eat them.  Considering how many humans are undoubtedly around them dead from the misfortune of an explosive device, it seems unlikely that these hungry dudes would bother with the ones who are still alive (especially with this level of tenacity and ferocity).  They'd just as soon eat one of their own who just got bombed.

AC's right that their bite would be problematic.  They have venom, but they don't really use their venom to kill their prey for feeding.  They have developed an odd symbiotic relationship with several strains of very nasty bacteria that grow in their mouths.  The dragons are immune to them, but the strains get into their prey and cause all kinds of havoc, notably sepsis.  These bacterial strains also grow several times faster in Dragon saliva than in normal environments.  It's not a guarantee that Taira would get any of these bacterial infections, but without proper antibiotics, he's pretty FUBAR.  It was mentioned he had a fever and they disinfected the wound, but pouring hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) on a wound may not be enough to destroy the bacteria, especially if it gets in the blood stream.

Anyway, all that aside, once again we get another shot outside the island.  This time it's more appropriate since these are the bad guys.  I suppose it makes sense to show us what they're up to, and there's an obvious interest in Sakamoto above the others.  I still don't like them showing us these kinds of things, unless they're going to get involved later, but whatever.  It's definitely better than the random shot of his mom from before.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
7:

Why the **** are there virtual marriages in a game about bombs? What is this, Bomb Art Online or something?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 08:53:59 AM »
7:

I laughed at the "elite lawyer" schtick.  That guy was a hoot.  Reminded me of the psychos in Borderlands.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »
1-7:

Why indeed did this fps, or fpb as it were, include a marriage feature??? Just makes no sense. Dumb writing to force a romance.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »
11:

Oh look, Murasaki is about to take down Date like a badass! ...Oh wait, she fell for one of his traps... Oh but hey, at least she's going to kill him off and take revenge! ...Except she's still in love with him, or something, and starts nurturing him back to health.

Good one Btooom, you had me going there for a second; thinking you had somewhat of a strong female character.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
11:

It takes a certain amount of strength to not kill someone in that situation.  Really, killing him would have been a weakness; an unwillingness to face her own past and realize that while Date was a bastard, she was the one who should have known better.  Killing him only satisfies a lust for revenge, but revenge doesn't ever heal the wounds.  Sometimes it makes it worse.

Not that BTOOOM! is supposed to take us on a merry trip down psychology lane, mind you.  It's been pedestrian in it's portrayal of the human condition thus far, so why delve much deeper?  Besides, who's to say she's not going to make Date's life a living hell?  Only thing I would have liked to see was her removing his chip and giving it to the others.  Guess that's not kosher or something.

In any event, one pointless (but boobtastic) fanservice scene later and we're going back to Taira to find out that... next week is the last episode.  Well, I don't think they're getting off the island in one 22 minute episode, so.... yep.  No more BTOOOM! after this.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
11:

It takes a certain amount of strength to not kill someone in that situation.  Really, killing him would have been a weakness; an unwillingness to face her own past and realize that while Date was a bastard, she was the one who should have known better.  Killing him only satisfies a lust for revenge, but revenge doesn't ever heal the wounds.  Sometimes it makes it worse.

Yeah, that's true.

I was more irritated by the implications of a weird "woman are hard to understand" romance that the scene had, although to be fair that was mostly a result of Himiko and Ryouta's commentary.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »
11:

Just a side thought, but maybe Date was sent back to the game because he didn't kill Shiki even if he got her chip. It's kinda obvious enough to catch; I just feel like saying. And yeah, Shiki killing Date would just be out of revenge and nothing less. Killing him wouldn't change the fact that all of this happened between her and him also because she was foolish on her end.

On another note, Madhouse is reusing law-defying breast physics from HOTD to BTOOOM!. Oh Madhouse, you.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:05 AM »
On another note, Madhouse is reusing law-defying breast physics from HOTD to BTOOOM!.

So?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 06:28:19 AM »
And I approve it.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
Well I should hope so!

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 07:21:03 AM »
12:

So in the last episode Taira and Sakamoto both go insane and start hallucinating. Due to this, one of them dies, and the other turns down sex. That sum it up right?

Still, poor Taira, what a shit place to end up. Guess it's just our love birds now!! ..... for ****'s sake.

The Series

Stupid, entertaining, but really stupid.

It's a toss up between a 4 and a 5. And it's a 4, because the action wasn't that good.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
Pretty much agree there. This series is mildly entertaining, but not as much as HOTD was...so meh pretty forgettable in the end.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
Eh, I thought Madhouse did a really good job with this show. Nonstop engrossing action series with a twisted/cynical bent. No it's not particularly deep or anything, but there is not a single episode I considered a waste of my time and that deserves credit from me.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »
Final:

I was worried that the Oda hallucination was going to make Ryouta carry through with the sex, but instead he ends up respecting Himiko's virginitiphobia and calling it off. For once the show did something right in regards to Himiko's phobia.

The Series:

Right now Btooom! is in contention with Muv Luv Total Eclipse for worst anime of the year. (Granted I haven't seen Guilty Crown, which supposedly was pretty bad.) The characters were horribly written, it relied far too much on the "humans are bastards" trope to the point of seeming cartoony, and it was hugely problematic with how it dealt with rape.

Ryouta was the archtypical chivalrous hero who manages to ward off evildoers and protect his woman each episode, giving us too stark of a contrast between the huge asshole we see in the flashbacks.

Himiko is a pretty much a useless character for the most part; in most situations she becomes downright suicidal in her refusal to fight back, usually because she wants to protect her "purity." It's understandable how someone who's  gone through several traumatic experiences could be that way, but with Btooom! it only ever serves as an excuse to make her a damsel in distress, and not to actually make her a compelling character of any sort. The fact that the writers seem to equate virginitiphobia with misandry is reason enough to believe that they don't respect rape-issues as seriously as they should. And then there's the ways in which she is perversely violated several times: In her introductory episode she has to ward off a rapist, and although the scene wasn't as problematic as it could have been, it was still a lot more titillating than it should have been. Then a few episodes when she gets shocked unconscious by her own taser, Ryouta himself goes so far as to lift up her skirt and take a look at her panties, and we never explicitly see him regret it.

Then there's Taira whose character degrades from the brosky sidekick to someone who, similar to Himiko, has to be with Ryouta at all times or else he'll go insane with worry (which thanks to the komodo poison, is what literally happens...at least, I would hope it was because of the poison.)

Sometimes the bombfights were mildly entertaining, and there were a few laughably bad moments (such as the breast psyhics from episode 11,) which for the most part are the only redeeming qualities of the plot. 2/10.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 07:55:49 AM »
Final:

Sorry, but I spotted 3 stupid things about the episode:

1) Oh Taira, why didn't you try deploying TWO bombs aiming at BOTH of them? That way, both of them don't know which is aiming at whom. Not thinking straight when you're overcome with fear, eh?

2) Oh Himiko, for a girl who wanted to survive so badly after first thinking of giving up, you're surely a sucker for giving yourself up AGAIN. Not doing a big favor to the "dumb blond" stereotype, eh?

3) Oh BTOOOM, can you just explain to me what just happened right there in the end with the whole so-called "technical problem"? If you want to have a second season, at least give the first one a clear ending.

--

My thoughts on BTOOOM!:

Battle Royale? Yeah sure, if you're talking about concept. Basically, it's what BTOOOM is but at the same time, it's essentially not Battle Royale either. You see, unlike Battle Royale which was more of a psychological thriller, this is simply action. Not that it necessarily makes this show more inferior, but if it's action, then I hope to see a good one. The action is indeed good; however, it never really blew me away for some reason. Maybe it's because there's not enough grit to the show.

It's the same case for the characters. All being societal rejects, each has his/her own story to tell about how they ended up being on the island. That's fine and all, but despite that I could never really empathize as much as I could. There's just something missing about the execution of the characterization and the action sequences. Perhaps Madhouse didn't really the original title any disservice; it merely make do with what the original material is all about without making it its own.

It's a 6/10 for me. If I may, BTOOOM feels like HOTD... only much less derpy and with less breast physics.

Offline Rummbles

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
Well, harro once again. In any event, just to give the anime some credit and assist madhouse. From what I've seen and read so far the anime actually follows the manga chapter for chapter (mind you I stopped watching after the second episode though since it was so dead on that I didn't feel the need to rehash my brain with the plot all over again). But on that note, from the manga thats been translated so far, it only goes up until the "technical problem." So lets not blame the anime for plotholes or bad cliff hangers that are convenient. Let's blame the source material if anything.

;)

:P

Thanks,

That random guy no one knows.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »
Well of course I blame Madhouse for nothing. They did the best with the material they have (the only thing they really could have done is kinda make up stuff for the story to make it more intriguing and involving or to make the action sequences better).

Like HOTD it is better than reading it's actual source material, so I give them praise regardless.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 07:28:47 PM »
In summation: lol bomb physics. lol bad writing "I need a girlfriend". WTF DID A SHOOTING(BOMBING" GAME HAVE A DATING/WEDDING FEATURE??? and they actually handled Himoko fairly well. The finale and Sakamoto having the presence of mind to respect her and not just spite f*** her with Oda hallucinations impressed me. Taira's deceit from the beginning, but was given context, but was prefaced with his isolation/dependance on Sakamoto once he got injured defending him was also a valiant plot point. I enjoyed his character...Show pretty much sucks otherwise 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up