Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 10:30:03 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BTOOOM!  (Read 9504 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

BTOOOM!
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:52 PM »

BTOOOM! is a bloodsports anime akin to Battle Royale where all the contestants are all given the same weapon of choice: bombs.  This is a result of Bomberman MMORPG becoming the shit, and some super mysterious organization decides that making a real life version of this by stranding people on an island is somehow funny.  The key hooks to this show seems to be production values which is a lock considering this is animated by Madhouse, the mystery behind why the super secret organization is forcing people to this ($100 says the reason is going to be retarded), and the fact that the main character is a NEET (which begs the question why would I empathize with a NEET?).  I'll probably give this 3 episodes on the production value alone, but things don't seem all that bright down the line since the top images I found of this show on Google are that of an attempted rape scene in the manga.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:24:23 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline leokiko.

Re: BTOOOM!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
"Attempted"? Oh boy, you better drop this now.

Even though it's good. But if you can't handle it...

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
Would've watched this if I hadn't already read up on the manga. Obviously it's meant to not be taken seriously in the slightest (much like HOTD and cage of eden), the story is entertaining but it's really stupid at the same time.

Offline SQA

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
So, it's Survivor with Bombs and "last one standing, alive, wins".  Which means there's going to be some ugly things happening on that island.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
I almost avoided this show because of the attempted(?) rape in the PV. Not that I can't handle rape in a story or anything, but just the fact that they included the rape scene in the PV gave me a really squick feeling; like when Crystal Dynamics tried to brag about how the new Tomb Raider is somehow more mature for having an attempted rape scene. It doesn't help that the rape scene is all that shows up when you google image "Btooom!"

As for the episode itself, it was alright. I doubt the mysterious organization in the background will go anywhere, but at least it still has potential for a good survival story. MC came off as a bit of a jerk, being an escapist NEET and all, but at least that should provide plenty of room for character development. My only real complaint is how he survived like, three or four bomb blasts by sheer luck. If they keep having the characters narrowly escape death like that, especially if they just stand around like the MC here, the believability of these bomb-fights will plummet.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:37:25 AM »
1:

Me wonders why this show is called BTOOOM! and not BOOOM!~

People have been comparing this show with Battle Royale, but I wouldn't. To me, the show reminds me more of Future Diary to a mixed extent. It's basically about how each player is forced into playing a game of life and death but on top of that, I can tell that the storyline is going to be stupid. For one, I find it utterly hard to believe that Ryouta basically escaped unscathed from the bomb explosions, especially when they're very close to him. Secondly, I find it utterly hard to believe that, for a genius gamer, it was awfully slow of him to notice that he had timed bombs (seriously, did he need a memo on the bombs to know that they're timed?) Lastly... what kind of gamepad can crack a wall like that?

Yeah, when I compare this show with Future Diary and not Battle Royale, it's because this show is going to be more action-oriented than grim and bleak like Battle Royale. Even if it's (going to be) a senseless series, I'm somewhat entertaining and would cut this show some slack. I just have to wonder what is it about Madhouse producing shows with stupid storylines sometimes...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:14:41 AM »
1:

Madhouse loves making them faces, don't they?

So far so good.  Best to keep shit vague for our hero, at least until he remembers how he got into this mess.  Adds to the tension, even if the token-jobber in the first episode was doomed and we all knew he would be.  Liked the touches of survival realism, especially where our presumably level headed protagonist lost his shit after realizing he wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Arguably the weakest part of this, so far, is the rather limited method of combat.  Bombs are cute and all, and make for some messy results, but not really my cup of tea, and I'm not sure how varied you can seriously keep the action parts with explosives.  I'll give it a shot, tho.

Fanserivce at the end of the first episode.  I think we can all see why SHE got raped.  Slut exposing herself for any BTOOM player that comes along.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 06:51:45 AM »
My first thought:  3 million copies sold worldwide?  That would be considered a commercial flop in today's AAA market.  Unless the subber screwed up somehow.

Anyway, interesting first episode.  Though I'm guessing he's there because his mum dobbed him into the super secret organisation, judging on the way she looked when the MIB came to take him away.  I bet it's about taking troublesome members of society and teaching them a life lesson of some sorts, but with bombs. 

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »
Fanserivce at the end of the first episode.  I think we can all see why SHE got raped.  Slut exposing herself for any BTOOM player that comes along.

Ryouta's reaction to that was hilarious. "Oh gee there's a half naked girl bathing across the river, I'll just creepily walk towards her without saying anything." Either they're trying to showcase his bad social skills, or we've got another example of bad writing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:28:52 PM by Sorrows Neptune »

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
She didn't get raped.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »
She didn't get raped.

Spoiler! I was getting my hopes up!

.......... don't judge me.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
Ryouta's reaction to that was hilarious. "Oh gee there's a half naked girl bathing across the river, I'll just creepily walk towards her without saying anything." Either they're trying to showcase his bad social skills, or we've got another example of bad writing.

I can actually defend that as him being overly cautious seeing as how the last stranger he met tried to blow his ass up with pyrotechnics.

Quote from: leokiko
She didn't get raped.

lol ya right purefag... your waifu is broken goods.  slut.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:49 AM »
2:

Ah, so that was the sort-of averted rape scene from the PV.  This isn't really my type of series, so I'll be dropping it, but I did have one thing I found kind of "too much" in a scene the group rape scene, but it's not what you think.  The two hits that Himiko landed on the one guy, even from her likely physical stature, would have been enough to knock him out or possibly kill him.  So I was actually a little surprised he was still standing.  The one friend attempting to crawl out of the room while screaming got a "really?" reaction from me.  Obviously, it's not my type of series and I'm not bought into it, so it didn't hit me quite the way it's intended.  Though it did nicely highly that keeping your wits about yourself is how you keep alive/safe when s*** goes badly.  (And Himiko made the proper choice to run, she had no ability to fight off the guys.)

I'm still waiting for the day a series has a woman drop a larynx strike during an attempted rape.  An 80 year old grandmother could kill a 300 pound man with that type of strike, as it just takes striking the right location with 2 fingers (with nails, even better) and can be done from any position, so long as 1 arm is free.  There's no muscle over the area, so it's fully exposed to the damage.  But then, we wouldn't get the exploitative nature of the attempted rape scene.  (It exploits the "male protection" instincts, so it's really quite an annoying trope)

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
2:

It's still not a very well-written rape scene by any means, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it be. Mostly because there wasn't much fanservice to derive from it, so it was at least only a little exploitative in that regard. Although I probably should have guessed they would have toned it down, seeing how this a television series. Of course it still degrades the heroine for the purposes of exploiting the "male protection" instincts, so that's still problematic. Funny that this premiered on the same day as Psycho-Pass, which had the most well handled rape scene I've seen in a while.

Another note: That army guy was really ridiculous. Although his actions might make sense depending on what sort of instructions he was given (it's still unclear if anyone even gets instructions), he clearly seemed like a psychopath. "Looks like I found three friendly people who's willing to help me out of this mess. Better kill that teacher since he's acting like the leader!"

I can actually defend that as him being overly cautious seeing as how the last stranger he met tried to blow his ass up with pyrotechnics.

Now that I think about it I can understand why he would walk up to her without thinking; getting trapped on an island, gruesomely killing a guy in self defense, and then running into a beautiful women as she bathes must be a really surreal experience. I'd probably react in the same way if I was in such a crazy situation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:11:35 AM by Sorrows Neptune »

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »

I should call this the season of rape since so many shows seems to be touching on it.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up