Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 12:51:22 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!  (Read 17084 times)

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

Re: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2012, 09:31:32 PM »
So, instead of moving forward and growing up, she's miserable, and the only way to save her is for the Dark Flame Master to.... do what?  What exactly did he do here?  Show her it was okay to deny reality?  Was she incapable of saying goodbye to her father unless Yuuta went delusional, too?  I don't ****ing get it.

Well...shit. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it ended exactly how I was hoping it wouldn't end.

Now it's a 6/10 for me (since I still liked the comedy.)

Offline KS

Re: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »
Yeah, I didn't get Kumin at all.  While she was usually "ooh'ing and "ahh"ing over everybody else's Chuunibyou behavior, she never demonstrated any real desire to act up herself.  It seems to me like she was trying to play the Anti-Nibutani role in this, deliberately trying to get Yuuta to bring Rikka back to the fold as she was.  I mean what's all this bullshit about how Rikka's chuunibyou "saved" her?  Delving into fantasy worlds because you're in denial about your old man and guilty about not saying goodbye when you had the chance is saving yourself?  What was the alternative?  We never get to see that.

So, instead of moving forward and growing up, she's miserable, and the only way to save her is for the Dark Flame Master to.... do what?  What exactly did he do here?  Show her it was okay to deny reality?  Was she incapable of saying goodbye to her father unless Yuuta went delusional, too?  I don't ****ing get it.

I always had a feeling the show might end up this way and here's why.  I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that what happened here was Kyoani's writing staff struggling between trying to have a narrative and message that makes good moral and logical sense (sometimes you have to discard your crutch and move on in life hard as it may be) and one that involves not pissing off their base (which as past incidents have shown can be a little touchy) by say even remotely suggesting they might vicariously need to discard their otaku beliefs, fantasies and wants through Rikka.  In the end I think as often and frustratingly seems to be the case with Kyoani's writing they chose the safest path of least resistance that was most likely to leave their base with the warmest fuzzy feeling possible without also leaving the lingering feeling that they were being criticized for their obsession with anime stuff.  Maybe...I mean that's my best guess.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All   Go Up