Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 12:40:29 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You  (Read 4365 times)

Offline SQA

Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
« on: October 03, 2012, 06:47:07 PM »
Well, it's the 3rd Hayate series.   So I guess this is the second reboot?  Either way, it's Hayate, Nagi and Maria back for a lot of wacky antics. 

All told, the first episode worked pretty well.  Plenty of hijinks and something of a blend of the first two seasons (which were pretty different from each other). I really liked the Super Mario Bros. sound effects during the "Read Manga, Plays Games, Watch Anime, Sleep, Repeat" joke set.  That was a nice touch.  Though part of me already misses Wakamoto doing the Narrator bits.  That did really make the first season for me. 

Two very notable things about episode 1, though.  1) The Character designs have been changed from the movie quite a bit.  Rounder than previous outings but lacking the "huge head, small eyes" effect of the movie and 2) BUDGET.  This is a late night series, so this is a pretty good amount of budget in that ep 1.  Though Manglobe works almost always look pretty, this isn't a series I would have expected that type of treatment.   I wonder how it'll hold up.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

Re: Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »
I thought it was shit. Barely funny at all with lots of boring, recycled jokes and hinting at a season stuffed to the brim with awful drama. Yuck.

It was better than that god awful movie, at least.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
1:

This is exactly what I want. A new, original story written by Hata-sensei himself instead of adapting what we've already read in the manga. Art closer to the manga's style. No more terrible cinematography from J.C.Staff.

Hayate no Gotoku! is one of the best selling manga series in Japan, and this is the anime that it deserves, not that awful second season which completely disregarded everything that made the series charming. I'm looking forward to the next episode

Offline SQA

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:29:11 PM »
I heard the 2nd season got decent a ways into it, but I didn't make it that far.  Though I really did like the first season.

This did what it needed to for an ep 1 of an established franchise.  It showed it's staples, told us it knows that they're there and it's not going to trample on them, tossed in some references to previous content and gave new viewers a quick introduction to most of the major characters.  And the requisite kidnapping scene.  I especially liked Nagi pointing out to use a seat belt.

I hope more of the jokes connect in the later episodes, but it did enough and I got several solid chuckles out of it.  But that's what this episode needed to do, rather than attempt to set a large audience.  Compare this to something like Humanity has Declined's first episode.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
1:

Sort of with Shinmaru on this one.  At the very beginning we have Hayate flat out telling us that it's been a while and it's finally time to get back into the swing of things.  Did we really need most of the first episode devoted to rehashing what we already should know?  Yes, I'm usually the guy who says that first episodes after breaks are best used for bringing aboard new viewers, but for a show like Hayate, I don't know if you can.  You've already had two long TV series and a movie, if people don't know what the hell Hayate is by now, there's not much you can do.  There's way too much to go back over.

I don't think it was "crap", tho.  A bit flat a lot of the time, sure, but not crap.  There were some other parts I found humorous, which is where Hayate needs to be.  Though the weirdo cryptic bullshit going on throughout with the singer and the loli were bugging me.  I'm not used to metaphorical nonsense in Hayate, just do what you do best you penniless butler.

As an aside, since I watch Cruncyroll quite heavily, I was extremely disappointed here.  Who the **** did these subtltles?  This was some ****ing shoddy work from someone who normally delivers quality.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
I get grouchy when I don't laugh.  >:(

Offline SQA

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
2:

Ah, this more like it with Hayate.  Characters much more in their roles, quite a lot more humor, lots of deadpan jokes and just a touch of drama.  And Kugimiya Rie doing her best. (I've always really liked her voice work, haha)

Hinagiku should be showing up next week, making the fans very, very happy. 

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »
3-7:

At least I think we're on 7.  Anyway, been a lot of goofiness in here, which is fine for a comedy series, but I'm still trying to figure out what's with all the metaphorical bullshit happening in the background.  They approach Utena levels of surreal sometimes, and it boggles my mind why they're included.  In any event, the show is dawdling on getting to the point (which will be a trip to Las Vegas sometime) mostly to reintroduce some of the other side characters we'd forgotten.  There's also the backstory on Nagi's mom which has mixed levels of interest.

Tell you what, though, did Nagi get poor or something when I wasn't looking?  I mean, the Sanzenin family is supposed to be just ridiculously wealthy, and there are times when neither she nor Hayate can buy something for lack of funds.  Does Maria do all the bookkeeping or something?  Or am I thinking too hard about a comedy?

Offline SQA

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
Nagi spends most of their monthly "free" budget on manga & anime.  Also, I believe in the current manga canon she doesn't have as much access to money.  Still a lot, but think 250k a year rather than 25 million.  Someone help me on this, as the dorm has something important to do with this storyline from the manga.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »
8:

There must be a rule in the Hayate Production Bible that says "Thou Shalt Not Sexualize Maria" or something.  Considering the bad luck aspect of the watch, you'd think they'd have an ample excuse to give us a little panty action when that wind kicked up underneath her Marylin Monroe style, but alas.  The most we got was some leg, which some people find hot, I'm sure, if we were back in Victorianism.

Anyway, they're finally in Las Vegas and, naturally, the first "American" who opens his mouth to "speak English" sounds "God awful".  Like I said about Shiina in Sakurasou and her inability to speak / write English despite being ****ing English, someone out there has finally noticed my bitching and now they're mocking my ass deliberately.  I will find you ****ers, and I will kill you for this.

Offline SQA

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 03:33:03 AM »
You ever seen Legend of Black Heaven?  Single best Engrish ever.  6'5" completely ripped black man talking in bad English near a high soprano.  I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard in my life.

Though they did remember that Nagi & Maria supposedly do know English.  So, props for that. 

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »
9-10:

Yeah, so... the villains make no sense, the Black Camelia turns out to be a ****ing sword that changes the lives of anybody who gets impaled on it, and Hayate ends up being the only person in the entire show who actually speaks passable English (despite his earlier protests that he's not good at it, natch).

So I'll give three guesses to the people not watching this show which character gets stabbed with the sword.  Wrong.  Nope.  Okay, maybe five guesses.

I suppose just from a near-death experience kind of thing, I could understand a personality switch like Hayate's.  At least, I could understand it if this weren't Hayate no Gotoku, where the penniless and unfortunate butler hasn't already had his life nearly ended several times by now.  Instead, we're led to believe that whatever gifts the Black Camelia bestows upon the impaled has something to do with it.  I mean, there's nothing else that I'd buy.

I'm not sure how I'd describe the switch either.  It just seems to have made him care less about his former obligations.  He's still the same guy, for the most part, but he quits being Nagi's butler, appears to not want to follow around the pack of retarded chicks in his harem, and just goes off on his own merry way.  He still doesn't put up with the teacher's crap, treating her plan with his usual disdain.  But he goes along with it anyway and gets in a surly remark.

Beyond that, I don't know what the hell is going on here.  Nagi ends up "back where we started" (literally) and with only a couple of episodes left in the season, we seem to be heading towards a sappy resolution.  Oh, and none of this shit is funny, which is bad for a comedy series.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »
11:

Hell-OOOOO convoluted plot.

Offline SQA

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 05:51:43 PM »
It's like Ocean's Eleven meets a Fantasy Novel, but it's not as funny as it should be.

But, well, I've found I'm a Kugimiya Rie fan, so I've stuck around.

Offline SQA

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »
12:

It's over, and it actually was a pretty interesting total story.  Especially good for background on Nagi's family.  Though the jokes weren't quite working well enough a lot of the times, but there was a few good ones.

But, the series closes with news of a 4th series to run on TV Tokyo.  I guess its popular enough?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »
12:

Well that slop is over.  Once again, a comedy with a serious plot falls flat on it's face.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up