Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 06:16:09 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!  (Read 17093 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »
Except Acchi Kocchi and Lucky Star aren't like this at all.  Those are yonkoma type comedy skits with slice of life atmosphere to them.  This one has slice of life elements to it, and certainly some bokke and slapstick comedy, but I still don't know what the point is.  Is it just a romance?  Is it a story of one girl getting over her issues with the death of her father?  Is it a story at all?

The last two episodes have helped to reveal a potential plot, but I dunno.  I think my problem is that I don't buy Rikka (or Dekomori) as either delusional or escapist.  Rikka's coping mechanism should be a lot more in depth than this, if she's truly suffering from reality rejection.  Dekomori is closer to the annoying role player type we all knew growing up, but she has no off button, so it's hard to know what's up.  I think one of the worst things they could have done was shown us those fantastic scenes of "magic" and "combat", which comes off more like the Secret Life of Walter Mitty than anything else.

Maybe that's just me, tho.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »
I'm going to hate myself for this in a few minutes, but...

This is pretty much "Friends" the Chuunibyou version.  There's an overarching storyline, so it's not strictly a Slice of Life, but it's much more like an American network comedy than more storyline based Japanese fair.   (Tooka as Joey, is the only place I ran into issues with the comparison)  So, I don't think it's going for any grand story about Chuunibyou or as a great romance.  The romance is a part of the story, but it's more the wacky hijinks of life without focusing on the daily grind.  (So it splits off from the harder SoL genre)

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2012, 12:18:03 AM »
9:

A nice blend of comedy and drama here; much better than last weeks episode.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2012, 12:32:34 AM »
I still don't know what the point is.

KyoAni is pretty much Kadokawa's tool at this stage. They exist for the sole reason of selling you Kadokawa's light novels through their Anime adaptations.

Offline SQA

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 02:04:16 AM »
Pretty sure Chuunibyou is a KyoAni, in-house owned property, even if it's from a Light Novel.  So it's not an adaptation they have been paid to do.

Still, I think the point is that this series is completely and utterly in their comfort zone.  They're noticeably having a damn blast animating it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
9:

Hmm. Very cliched premises, but nevertheless I think that this is the series' best episode yet. If the series' material is weak, what makes it at least enjoyable to watch is KyoAni's execution style and delivery. KyoAni just knows how to make things work, given the material it may have on its hands.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2012, 04:24:51 AM »
9:

Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem.  Please let this not turn into a harem. 

Right now I'm hopeful because Nibutani seems far more interested in pushing Rikka forward, but you never know when shit could change.

Offline SQA

« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
The only way this goes Harem is that Nibutani gets a brain injury.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »
Please let this not turn into a harem. Right now I'm hopeful because Nibutani seems far more interested in pushing Rikka forward, but you never know when shit could change.

As long as KyoAni is the one behind this show, it will never turn into a harem.

10:

Yet another beautiful episode from KyoAni. It's the first time that they have deviated so much from the source material, but even when KyoAni inserts their own original content to this extent, it's still a great story. The only studio capable of such a feat. KyoAni shows us once more in this episode how the side cast should be used in anime. Not only Yuuta and Rikka, but everyone else got their time to shine again this episode. Shinka, Makoto and even Sanae got roles in this episode, which was awesome. I especially was surprised that Yuuta and Rikka had their roles reversed in their respective confession. It was still very sweet and hilarious.

Again as with the beach episode, the RomCom at the start of the episode lead up to the drama at the end. Slightly melodramatic, but I still enjoyed it. That's a lot for me to say because I usually hate melodrama. I do hope that it will be dealt with by episode 11 though, since this is such a sweet, vanilla and feel-good show, and excessive drama will really do more harm than good. I have confidence in KyoAni they will do it right though - they've never let me down!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »
10:

Pinky holding and pinky kissing.  Quite possibly the most raunchy thing I've ever seen.  Lewd, Lewd, LEWD!!!

Anyway, I'm actually rather pleased with how this episode turned out, with the emotional roller-coaster thrown into high gear.  Anxiety at the start, bliss after the confession, guilt at the end; and that applies to both Rikka and Yuuta. 

Make sure you didn't miss the extra scene after the credits.

Offline SQA

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
10:

Kumin wins the "Best Rejection of the Year" award there.  But, Isshiki won't give up, which is what will make it work.

Oh, Dekomori keeps mace attachments around.  I am both not surprised and very concerned.  Fear the Deko.

The anime on the whole has really held to the "never do too much" philosophy pretty well. Most of the antics work in concert and we never get too long on any one set of emotions or topics.  The confession scene was at the half-way mark of the episode.  I don't know of a series that wouldn't at least end the episode that way, but this is KyoAni and they really do know what they're doing with this series.  And, as always, the physical comedy is hilarious.

Seriously, Dekomori is scary with her Hair-Flail.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »
10:

I actually thought the scene under the bridge was wonderful. If I have to thank anyone for it, it's KyoAni because, as ImperialX put it, it's the studio that's making the show work with the bland and generic material it has to work with in the first place.

I understand how the show took the "skip the critical moment" narrative style when Togashi confronted Rikka with her mom's lunchbox, and it worked to a satisfactory extent. But I wonder how things could have been if the show did explicitly show the scene. KyoAni did the same thing in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya with the part where:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Koizumi explained to Kyon what Nagato did to set forth the alternate universe shift.
Either way, I thought that this is slightly better than even episode 9. The previous episode was hilarious but this episode kinda pushed the envelope with the drama. It's good stuff.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »
11:

Interesting that they have the "critical moment" here with Togashi mouthing off Dekomori instead of Rikki.

I'm not exactly sure what the story is trying to convey with the melodrama. Is it supposed to be sad that Rikka is giving up her chuunibyouism, or is it more about the difficulty of transitioning from social awkwardness to normality? And I guess Togashi is mad at himself for mouthing off both of his chuunibyou friends.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:08:32 AM by Sorrows Neptune »

Offline SQA

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2012, 01:27:35 AM »
11:

I think what they're going for is that Rikka had used the Chunnibyou stuff too seriously, to the point where she'd put much of her personality into it.  But, for her, it was simply an avoidance from having to mourn her father's death.  So she's both in mourning (which is a process) and having to rebuild parts of her personality that she's shut off. 

Realistically, the issue is she went too far down the Chunnibyou hole and she needs to stop stuffing part of it.  At the same time, everyone else is worried she will be dive back into the avoidance.  It's ugly and messy and Yuuta seems to be doing most of the work.

Offline Ejecting Pilot

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »
11:

I wasn't expecting Dekomori, who was much more of a stock comical character, to be a central part to the emotional aspect of this episode. In most cases I would find this sort of melodrama over the top, but somehow it works here. KyoAni has a certain kind of magic when it comes to this sort of stuff, it has something to do with the way they animate faces and their almost impeccable timing for drama. It might be just me, but when KyoAni do melancholy stuff, it really is melancholy.

This episode kind of made me think of Chunnibyou as an almost reverse Haruhi. Rikka becoming normal and Togashi being able to live his "normal" life. I think Rikka is Rikka when she is has that astonished look while looking at the sorcerer's stones. Integral to her in the same way Chitanda is kininarimasu and Haruhi would kick open a door, I think once you remove Rikka's chuunibyou interests she ultimately becomes a boring character.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All   Go Up