Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 03:58:17 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!  (Read 17002 times)

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
A small update, I've been listening to that for about 2 hours now on loop whilst I work. For some reason it seems to work well with working, not sure what exactly it could be...

Offline SQA

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »
2 reasons:

1) Rhythmic repeats help focus the mind on tasks you might not like.  You're still processing and following along with the music, thus taking up part of the "inactive" mental space.

2) You're taking a small amount of joy of hitting your co-workers in your imagination like Yuuta is always doing. :)

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
Co-workers? But I'm at uni.... :(

However the reasons seem somewhat legit. Though for me it would be lab report instead of co-workers.

Offline SQA

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
Well, you're taking joy in the random association of bonking idiots on the head, haha.

But the "mental space" concept is pretty well founded, but it depends a lot on the person and how they operate.  If they do a lot of their work via verbal queues, it'll actually drive them nuts to have sound in the background.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
7:

Okay, so she's not a child searching for identity, she's just a child.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 08:03:20 PM »
7:

Okay, so she's not a child searching for identity, she's just a child.

At least in this episode she is. Maybe it's still about her finding her identity.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »
7:

Now this is how drama should be done.

It's very hard for me to praise drama. For one, most drama I see in the anime medium are forcefully shoved down your throat, be it with long internal monologue, or overbearing outbursts of emotion. With the painfully bad drama I've already gone through this week with both Little Busters! and Sakurasou, I really didn't want to see more drama but KyoAni's work here is brilliant. They conveyed the drama perfectly without annoyances. That scene with the "For sale" sign is really powerful.

Overall this was an excellent episode from what is still easily my favourite series this season (I don't think KyoAni has ever made something that wasn't my favourite of their respective airing seasons since I started watching anime in 2008, aside from Clannad and Clannad After Story). I enjoyed seeing Kumin in her dress, and I like how KyoAni slipped in the mole on their anime original character just to parody Asahina Mikuru from Suzumiya Haruhi.  Also, quite glad Isshiki is still providing a role in this series after getting all of the previous episode to himself. Shinka x Dekomori vibes are strong with this one, and as Akira said on twitter I think we can expect to see a lot of donjins of this pairing at Comiket this year. Shinka x dog might also prove to be popular, but I'm not really into that stuff.

Rikka was gloomy for the entire episode, which is understandable. I'm glad that the reason for her extreme case of chuuniyou even at this age was revealed in this episode. Having her father die and her mother abandoning her is just so saddening. Touka said back in episode 5 "I envy you" to Yuuta, and that foreshadowed this somewhat. Now it pretty much makes total sense, and I can't wait to see what's going to happen down the road from here.

Also, animations are top notch. There are tons of little subtle details here and there which is awesome. The BGM is lovely and I simply must obtain the OST.

Quote from: Rikka
Blast reality.
Burst it into shreds.
Banishment... this world.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 01:32:52 AM »
7:

Huh, I'm actually liking the drama a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe I'll get more out of this show than just mindless comedy.

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2012, 08:43:19 AM »
Huh why did they have to go ahead and ruin a great comedy for some lame drama? I don't see why you have to HAVE a reason to have 8th grade syndrome.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
8:

And now Rikka's turning into moe pulp.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
8:

I take back what I said last week--this drama is exactly as bad as I was expecting it to be.

Offline SQA

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2012, 03:35:47 AM »
8:

Well, that worked pretty well.  We always knew there was more than a bit of escapism to Rikka's actions, but both the good and the bad aspects of it are brought to the forefront. 

But what I really liked is how they showed Rikka falling head-over-heels for Yuuta.  It was obviously going to happen (see the title of the series), but the progression had been natural and Rikka simply didn't understand what exactly was happening to her.  We also got confirmation that she patterned herself after Yuuta's Dark Flame Master antics in a flash back, so she's always looked up to him.  This also explains why she went all out to be around him in episode 1, aside from the audience's thought that she saw a kindred soul.  She, in fact, was overjoyed to find him again.  We just didn't know it nor did she really understand how her impression would change now that she's physically older.  Though that she fell, hard, for the one guy that both gave her attention and cut her zero slack isn't a surprise. 

Though given the general Japanese audience, I'd be surprised if they really get the significance of the shirt smelling bit.  Rikka's current feelings are very cemented, at that point.  Women do respond to the smell of "their" man quite strongly.  It's a combination of bonding mechanics and sub-conscious sensory recognition, but it's an outward sign of deep physical attraction to the male that produces the smell. Rikka, of course, doesn't much know what to do with that set of emotions, especially given her night-time proximity to Yuuta.  Which also led to one of the best animated hands you'll ever see.  Seriously, rewatch those last few seconds of the episode, that hand animation was brilliant.  (Though I'd guess that was rotoscoped)  So, she's now fascinated with Yuuta for a very different reason, wanting to be physically close to him.   And Yuuta only thought she might kiss him, haha.   Though she did manage to invent a new form of affection and/or territory marking, in her Chuunibyou way.

[And why have I been talking about human physiology so much lately on this forum? weird]

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
SQA's physiology lesson aside, I don't know how much more of this plotless shit I can take.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2012, 04:03:40 AM »
I think this is one of those series that either works for you or doesn't.  I don't think there's a lot of space between.  I like it a lot, but the series is what it is.  It's mostly physical, over-the-top comedy with a basic romance plot.   This is pretty much like "Yes Man" with Jim Carrey, less a few sex scenes.  I liked that movie.  So, if the comedy style works for you, it does.  If it doesn't, I imagine you're quite bored. 

For instance, Lucky Star really didn't work for me, but there are people around here that adore it.  I liked Acchi Kocchi a lot, but it didn't work for a lot of others.  Just the nature of the beast.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2012, 04:50:00 AM »
Well, just to be the exception to your rule neither "works for me" nor "doesn't work for me", I don't hate it, I don't love it, it's just fairly good at points, but not particularly engrossing. Same was true of Acchi Kochi, though that was more it worked for me, but not enough.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Up